• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause) - Wii U dev kits collecting dust, Nintendo is hard to reach

Nintendo's problem is they don't treat third parties equally.

They give support to developers like Square-enix, Warners bros, and capcom, even to the point where they publish their games and fund their development. They think rhthis is requited to gain good third party support when in fact it just alienate s the rest of the community.

You don't money hat to get good support, you build good tools and have strong commuication, documentation and teaching capabilities to gain support.

Nintendo had been lagging in these departments for decades.

Hmm...I can agree with this.

wsippel

Banned
Not that Avalanche would care, but this cements one thing: If their next games are not on Wii U, I might buy them once they're $20 or less on Steam - or not at all. I used to own all platforms each generation for many years, but I don't have the time anymore, so it's all Wii U and PC for me. Simply because those two platforms have the most interesting exclusives and Steam conditioned me in not paying more than $20 for a PC game.

I'm going to assume that the PS3, despite getting crushed by the Xbox 360 in software sales, is trending well ahead of Wii U in both hardware and software.

The ps3, even at $600, never sold as badly as the Wii U. I don't think people quite understand just how historically bad the Wii U is selling. We're way past simply "underperforming"

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I don't doubt for a second that what the swedes say in the interview is true and that Nintendo is actually extremely hard to work with. However, as a fellow Norwegian I feel that Pressfire have quite simply the worst anti-Nintendo bias I have seen EVER online. All their stuff about Nintendo is portrayed in a negative or ridiculing fashion, while everything Sony-related is portrayed the other way and extremely positive. So even this article might very well not have any bias at all, their history with Nintendo does make me kinda sceptical how much was said by Avalanche, and how much was portrayed by the writers at Pressfire.

Ploid 3.0

My PC collects dust like nothing I've ever seen before. It's a huge problem, I think you can counter it by making the console liquid cooled. All of my consoles collect dust.

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo's problem is they don't treat third parties equally.

They give support to developers like Square-enix, Warners bros, and capcom, even to the point where they publish their games and fund their development. They think rhthis is requited to gain good third party support when in fact it just alienate s the rest of the community.

You don't money hat to get good support, you build good tools and have strong commuication, documentation and teaching capabilities to gain support.

Nintendo had been lagging in these departments for decades.
It's the other way around. If anything, they're treating 3rd parties too equally. Nintendo is so big, they don't really care if you're Avalanche or Frozenbyte - both are tiny compared to Nintendo. And the support you mentioned is available to every developer or publisher who's willing to support their platforms properly. Want Nintendo to bankroll and publish your game? Make it an exclusive, and make it good. But don't expect Nintendo to stuff your ass with $100 bills and free marketing if you're not willing to provide more than lackluster, late ports of multiplatform games.

Who buys Nintendo consoles for third party games anyway

Didn't the last decade teach you anything

It's a secondary console you use in-between the Sony/MS offerings for select Nintendo exclusives.

I feel this is very appropriate here... I think it's time to confront this "'Third Parties' never sell on Nintendo consoles" bullshit once and for all, as well as the idea that Nintendo fans don't buy certain genres.

Angel Whispers said:
I reject this "Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games" line, often repeated on here, around the Internet and by the most extreme of Nintendo fanboys who don't seem to realise that this is very self-defeating. If you own a Sony console for your Uncharteds, LBPs and Killzones, you still have the support of other parties - I never hear their fans say "I bought this for Sony's games". Why SHOULDN'T Nintendo fans aspire to, and expect cross-platform games? I recognise that this wasn't possible with the Wii, but with the Wii U, it has all the tools and capabilities in the way that the Dreamcast & PS2 could get games from the more powerful GameCube and XBox. The Wii U is in the same position. It is noticeable steps above the PS360 consoles, and it positions itself at the Dreamcast & PS2 end of the 8th Gen scale, while the PS4 and Microsoft's 8th Gen console are at the GameCube & XBox end. Watch Dogs should serve as an encouraging sign, and the perhaps the next COD game (Wii U is with the 8th Gen consoles there). We also know that 8th Gen engines are designed with scalability in mind, so if the Wii U doesn't get cross-platform games in future, it's fuck all to do with a lack of power; it'll be because those houses didn't want their games there. Battlefield 4 not being there is a blow, for sure. Ditto Madden and GTA V (although I personally don't care for GTA V, I am aware that many would love to play it). It's time that the myths about Nintendo fans not buying 'third party games', and there 'not being a market for certain genres' on their consoles was confronted and killed with fire and holy water once and for all.

We already know about the Dance, Party and Health & Fitness games. Others such as Sonic, Lego and Disney games often do very well on Nintendo consoles. But it doesn't end there.

Dragon Quest IX sold about 6 million copies on the DS. Previous re-releases in the DQ series sold over a million on the DS, too. More than VIII on the PS2. Chrono Trigger sold a few million copies on the SNES, and that was without a release on European shores - When it released on the DS in 2008, it was a million-seller once again. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles eclipsed that 7-figure mark on the GameCube - More than Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance and LOZ: Four Swords Adventures combined, by the way. There hasn't been a flagship entry in the Final Fantasy series on Nintendo consoles since the 6th one on the SNES.(RPG/Action Adventures)

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 are a couple of million-sellers on the Wii. Pro Evolution does better than EA's Fifa because of bullshit like this and this. Let me remind you that this is one of many EA parasitical practices. Unfortunately, Konami, too, were caught doing the same here. My point here is that there IS a market for these games, and anybody who still believes that Nintendo and Nintendo fans should bear the cross for this at this point is fucking dumb. (Sports)

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was a million-seller on the DS, more than on the PSP, yet Rockstar's silence is very deafening on Nintendo consoles. GTA V was 'considered' for it with the PC. Not even a late port of Red Dead Redemption, or something of note on the table. Only in the games industry can million-sellers mean 'no market'. (Open World)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2009 All-Play, EA Playground, and even Rockstar's Table Tennis are a few more million-sellers. We know about EA's 'unprecedented partnership', and I mentioned Rockstar above. (More Sports)

COD games on the Wii were million-sellers - this is a remarkable achievement, given that the definitive versions of the 7th Gen games were elsewhere, and that the XBox 360 was the primary platform for that series. The incentive to buy COD:BlOps2 isn't there, as it misses significant DLC. It is completely wrong and improper to blame Nintendo fans for buying a different version, or ignoring this one when these features are guaranteed elsewhere. The numbers are also higher than Vanquish (for me, this was the Best Shooter of the 7th Generation), which was NOT a million seller on either PS360 console. (Shooters)

Epic Mickey 2 sold better on the Wii than PS360 combined, and has a higher sale-user base ratio on the Wii U than both the PS360 consoles. It should've been Wii or Wii U exclusive. I think you know what happened after that... Although from different developers, it makes the non-inclusion of the Wii U for the Castle Of Illusion remake even more bizarre - It would be in Sega's interests to put it there before the others. (Platform Games)

Need For Speed: Underground 1 & 2 were million-sellers on the GameCube, which is actually an impressive sale-user base ratio. NFS: Carbon was a million seller on the Wii, too. People can knee-jerk all they want about the NFS: Most Wanted Wii U sales, but it's a fact that it wasn't released on a level playing field, and at one point, Wii U owners didn't know it was coming at all, then they were told to buy the game in the hope that they MIGHT be supported with its DLC. (Racing Games)

Soul Calibur 2 was a million-seller on the GameCube, more successful than on the XBox, and with a higher sale-user base ratio than it and the PS2. Again, very impressive, and further still, more than Soul Calibur 5 on PS360 consoles combined. No ports for this series, and time will tell whether the next entry will be realised on the Wii U - You can guarantee that it will exist on Microsoft's 8th Gen console, although it has a history of doing worse there than on Nintendo consoles. (Fighting Games)

More people bought Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (at this point, a two-year old game) for that platform than PS360 owners bought Bayonetta. Yet Nintendo fans are wondering why Capcom couldn't bring RE6 or something more to the table for the Wii U at launch, but they will be able to enjoy the sequel to the best game on the PS360 consoles exclusively. What's clear here is that PS360 extremists didn't care for Bayonetta - they were more angry at the idea of Nintendo fans having something exclusive from somewhere other than Nintendo themselves after years of being spoiled rotten, at the idea that they could have anything, ever, at all.

That's before mentioning that Tomb Raider 2013 was one of a number of titles not announced on the WiiU during the launch window to be labelled a 'failure' or 'disappointment'. Or that Sonic & All Stars Racing: Transformed on the Wii U has the highest sale-user base ratio of all the versions - It was the first 'third party' game to top the Wii U charts; unit sales have been just as good as the other versions, and they are still improving, too. Or that Frozenbyte said they were very happy with the numbers for Trine 2: Director's Cut - they weren't happy with the numbers with the PS360 numbers; an outstanding achievement on a system with a smaller user base. So, there is a market for multiple genres on Nintendo consoles. There always has been, and these bullshit excuses just don't wash. All the fans ask is that they get the same game with the same content, and that the job is done well. Ideally, it would be released on a level playing field, too (i.e., on the same day as the rest) - So far, NONE of the Wii U's cross-platform games have been able to tick all of those boxes.

There's a case which says porting games to the Wii U would've helped these parties as well as the sales of the console - people buying one would have the reassurance that other houses are committed to supporting it, and in turn want to invest in that version. It's also a reality that many games across numerous genres underperform or don't sell on other consoles, but I don't see them making the same conditional statements or beating them with the same stick. So-called 'third parties' need to realise that they can't carry on the way they have been, and that relationships are two-way streets. However, instead of trying to meet Nintendo and Nintendo fans, they don't even step on the bridge (collectively, not all).

Risette

A Good Citizen
I still haven't forgiven him for trashing Platinum Games. This is worse than that time I found out Tain didn't like Treasure. It's like finding out Santa Claus exists, but he's racist as hell and doesn't want to stop by your black ass for Christmas.
I don't like Treasure either :eek:

It's the other way around. If anything, they're treating 3rd parties too equally. Nintendo is so big, they don't really care if you're Avalanche or Frozenbyte - both are tiny compared to Nintendo. And the support you mentioned is available to every developer or publisher who's willing to support their platforms properly. Want Nintendo to bankroll and publish your game? Make it an exclusive, and make it good. But don't expect Nintendo to stuff your ass with $100 bills and free marketing if you're not willing to provide more than lackluster, late ports of multiplatform games.

It's bad business practice to just wait around and expect third parties to support your system with great titles, nor is it maintainable or scalable.

Could you imagine if for some reason all third parties wanted to develop their AAA games for Nintendo all at once? Well, it did happen with the Wii, and Nintendo had no capacity to support them all.

In turn, because Nintendo lacks a proper an mature third party relationship department, Wii got shoddy products. It really hurt the Wii brand.

So instead of waiting around for third party support and then being caught off guard once again, they need to develop a better online resource community.

Wario.net needs to be thrown out and redone for the modern world with excellent documentation, tools, and an active knowledgeable community.

8bits

Banned
Profit is meaningless. Their market shrunk by a shitton with the N64 and shrunk even further with the Gamecube.

ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

Profits are not meaningless, but shrinking marketshare (especially the epic drop Nintendo is going to see from Wii to Wii u) represent lost profits. Shareholders can't like that.

Jonm1010

Banned
I feel this is very appropriate here... I think it's time to confront this "'Third Parties' never sell on Nintendo consoles" bullshit once and for all, as well as the idea that Nintendo fans don't buy certain genres.

Problem is several fold. Despite some examples given, overall third parties have sold historically worse on Nintendo platforms going back to N64. That poster was engaging in the height of cherry picking. Just go look at any sales charts going back to the N64 and tell me Nintendo has been a haven for third party success compared to their main competition that gen.

Furthermore Nintendo has been historically poor in terms of third party outreach and support and even poorer when it comes to designing hardware that is friendly to third parties and aligns well with where most third parties are at and what they need and want. When game design was moving toward disc based development on the heels of PC and playstation, Nintendo doubled down with cartridges on N64. When demographics were switching toward older gamers and DVDs were the hot trend and online gaming began to emerge Nintendo released a purple console that couldn't play DVDs with a launch lineup aimed mostly toward kids and openly ridiculed online gaming. They struck gold with wii but that was an outlier and most third party franchises that existed on both ps360 and wii sold better on ps360.

Nintendo could of pulled a Microsoft or Sony and built their next system from the ground up with third parties in mind but instead their insular thinking and arrogance rules the day and so third parties took a wait and see approach again - and who can blame them?

Now the console is doing unprecedentedly bad and they have backed themselves into a corner by making a console that isn't easy to port ps360 to and won't be worth the effort if rewriting ps4/720 games for. Nintendo has only themselves to blame.

Maybe they sold third party games better then people often exaggerate, but given their past treatment of third parties, their current consoles odd architecture/ low perfeomance and their low market share, gambling a big game on a Nintendo console right now seems like bad business.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you re-do your post and add citations for the various sales figures for easy reading it would be threadworthy.

Why is it that profit doesn't matter when it's Nintendo but it does when it's Sony? There was a thread asking "If PS4 sells as well as the PS3 is it a success?" and I thought, well, according to people here the GC and N64 were failures despite profiting for not selling more than their predecessors so I stated as much but then I saw a bunch of "If it profits it's a success" and got confused.

Where's the cutoff? Is it simply whatever the PS3 has sold? How can it be a success when, despite the market growing significantly, it sold less than 50% of what the PS2 did? The N64 and GC had much smaller dropoffs and were declared failures...

I'm not sure about specifics or accuracy but here is a chart I found with some interesting numbers. Don't forget these numbers aren't just for the home consoles but for handhelds as well.

zYw1A_zps3ab31986.jpg

That chart is always brought up and it doesn't answer the question.

Jonm1010

Banned
Why is it that profit doesn't matter when it's Nintendo but it does when it's Sony? There was a thread asking "If PS4 sells as well as the PS3 is it a success?" and I thought, well, according to people here the GC and N64 were failures despite profiting for not selling more than their predecessors so I stated as much but then I saw a bunch of "If it profits it's a success" and got confused.

Where's the cutoff? Is it simply whatever the PS3 has sold? How can it be a success when, despite the market growing significantly, it sold less than 50% of what the PS2 did? The N64 and GC had much smaller dropoffs and were declared failures...

I think it's how you define success and whether you look at success in the short run or long run. Not surprisingly most people on GAF are going to have varying ways they define success.

Effect

The question still remains. They have no plans to make anything on the Wii U. So why was there ever a need to contact them and complain about it in the first place? I know documentation early on was bad but I really doubt they ship out dev kits without a contact number..... Also how the hell did they get those dev kits if they are having trouble contacting Nintendo or contacting the proper people within Nintendo!? Something's not right here with this picture.

Did they want to approach Nintendo to publish a game maybe? Even then they admit they have and had nothing so what was the point?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
You have issues, and need to seriously step away from the Internet.

While you go ahead and sort that out, I'll just add another name to my ignore list.

Pretty soon you're going to be ignoring the whole forum the way you're going, ingnoramus.
That's what you do, ignore evidence, and spin things your way.

Profit is great but it depends how much of it there is? If you've spent billions dollars, countless man hours making games and producing a machine for 5 years and it only makes a small profit thats a failure. Companies want to grow which will eventually lead to higher profits and market capitalisation. Essentially its opportunity cost. You could spend that money, workforce and time on more profitable ventures. Even Nintendo agrees with this, Iwata saying that they are not in the console business to make consoles like the gamecube.

PS3 financially was a failure but was a success in how it was able to bounce back.

Because I love it when you try to troll me without knowing what you're talking about.

I think you have a persecution complex lol. Making jokes is not trolling. Your reactions though are certainly going to bring out the trolls.

Schnozberry

The question still remains. They have no plans to make anything on the Wii U. So why was there ever a need to contact them and complain about it in the first place? I know documentation early on was bad but I really doubt they ship out dev kits without a contact number..... Also how the hell did they get those dev kits if they are having trouble contacting Nintendo or contacting the proper people within Nintendo!? Something's not right here with this picture.

Did they want to approach Nintendo to publish a game maybe? Even then they admit they have and had nothing so what was the point?

Stealth moneyhat begging.

AzaK

I think the Wii U dev kits must be gathering dust at Nintendo as well judging by the number of first party games they've released. Meanwhile the 3DS continues to rule with its non-stop barrage of great titles. Nintendo sure knows where its priorities are.
That's the sad thing, it does. Their handheld market us likely more important to them. They need that to be strong especially with the onslaught if the phone/tablet. This meant Wii U suffered. In all Nintendo need more resources to support two machines well and they need a shift in their philosophy regarding third parties.

Jonm1010

Banned
This. Why aren't more people calling BS on this claim. It doesn't add up.
Why doesn't it?

Instead of immediately trying to blame anyone but Nintendo perhaps the simplest explaination is the right one? It's the truth! Sure maybe they are lying but there's no evidence suggesting it or that they are in need of money hats.

People love wrapping themselves in conspiracies if it shields someone they love.

I'm sure there is more to this story but the fact you immediately assume its anyone but Nintendo's fault is telling.

Fact is you act like Nintendo being cold toward developers and having a poor third party infastructure and communication line compared to other competitors is something new? It's about as ingrained in the company as Mario.

Nintendo right now should be out Sony'ing Sony with their approach to third parties. Instead they continue to be Nintendo.

nekomix

That's the sad thing, it does. Their handheld market us likely more important to them. They need that to be strong especially with the onslaught if the phone/tablet. This meant Wii U suffered. In all Nintendo need more resources to support two machines well and they need a shift in their philosophy regarding third parties.

It seems hard to many to understand this : handheld market is main market for Nintendo and it always was, that's why they put more effort to turn around the 3DS situation and are more softy with WiiU : handheld market is their main source of revenue. It seems baffling to many because it's the main market for Sony/M$ but Nintendo's main leg was, is and will be handheld market.

Gadirok

it's a meme

but some people are actually stupid.

Anyways I love the open world aspect of Just Cause 2 but the missions are boring. I waste so much time in that game doing nothing because its so fun. Climbing up the mountain on a parachute or randomly stumbling on some area where gunmen start shooting me for no apparent reason.

Though if I were in there shoes I would be shooting a weird looking parachute man as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Quite ironic that I heard the exact opposite directly from swedish developers. Seems like it depends on the developer.
Lies. And Frozenbyte are actually Chinese.

Gadirok

It seems hard to many to understand this : handheld market is main market for Nintendo and it always was, that's why they put more effort to turn around the 3DS situation and are more softy with WiiU : handheld market is their main source of revenue. It seems baffling to many because it's the main market for Sony/M$ but Nintendo's main leg was, is and will be handheld market.

Just like Sony treats the Vita with no approach to third parties (besides the mess that was CoD and AC and the massive promotions behind them).

Sony just wants to reclaim their lost console market share I assume, and have full attention on that. The Vita is just an afterthought.

Why doesn't it?

Instead of immediately trying to blame anyone but Nintendo perhaps the simplest explaination is the right one? It's the truth! Sure maybe they are lying but there's no evidence suggesting it or that they are in need of money hats.

People love wrapping themselves in conspiracies if it shields someone they love.

I'm sure there is more to this story but the fact you immediately assume its anyone but Nintendo's fault is telling.

Fact is you act like Nintendo being cold toward developers and having a poor third party infastructure and communication line compared to other competitors is something new? It's about as ingrained in the company as Mario.

Nintendo right now should be out Sony'ing Sony with their approach to third parties. Instead they continue to be Nintendo.

Except we simply don't know...what's odd is why reports on Nintendo are so polarizing. We have some devs who claim they give great support, free dev kits, lots of back and forth etc and then others that say they can't even get in contact with them.

We have some devs complaining about the system specs while others say it simply takes time to learn. Why is there no consistency? Why is there such a huge difference in the treatment of certain devs? It'd make sense if there was some pattern to it. Maybe Nintendo favors devs that have given them lots of support in the past but then you get people like the Darksiders 2 devs (Vigil) who hadn't made a game on a Nintendo system before yet got dev kits extremely early.

I think we're not hearing the whole story necessarily. I think there is some element of pro activeness on the part of devs that isn't being factored in

Jonm1010

Banned

iOS and android have severely cannibalized Nintendo's market, especially in North America and Europe, and it doesn't look to be stopping any time soon.

Which is why I feel like the wiiU should be a bigger priority for them given that shrinking market.

Risette

A Good Citizen
They should just support one machine.

Effect

iOS and android have severely cannibalized Nintendo's market, especially in North America and Europe, and it doesn't look to be stopping any time soon.

Which is why I feel like the wiiU should be a bigger priority for them given that shrinking market.

Except that the 3DS is tracking ahead of the DS and has been from the very start and we've passed the point where the DS Lite was introduced. We have a brand new Pokemon game, the first 3DS entry, coming that is likely to revitalize the brand and will more then likely move tons of units. The rise of iOS and android isn't affecting their handheld business as people thought and assumed it would.

ascii42

The Wii U is in the same position. It is noticeable steps above the PS360 consoles, and it positions itself at the Dreamcast & PS2 end of the 8th Gen scale, while the PS4 and Microsoft's 8th Gen console are at the GameCube & XBox end. Watch Dogs should serve as an encouraging sign, and the perhaps the next COD game (Wii U is with the 8th Gen consoles there).

Pretty sure the WiiU is much closer to 7th generation technology than 8th generation. It's possible it's the XBOX to the PS3/360's PS2. Except the WiiU has a relatively weak CPU, compared to what the XBOX had for its time.

Watch Dogs is coming out on both 7th and 8th generation systems, so we'll just have to wait and see how that goes for WiiU. Same with Call of Duty.

Jonm1010

Banned
Except that the 3DS is tracking ahead of the DS and has been from the very start and we've passed the point where the DS Lite was introduced. We have a brand new Pokemon game, the first 3DS entry, coming that is likely to revitalize the brand and will more then likely move tons of units. The rise of iOS and android isn't affecting their handheld business as people thought and assumed it would.

I am by no means a 3ds sales expert but isn't the 3ds selling poorly in North America and Europe and software sales on the system there aren't as great?

this. Im suprised people are still in the dark with how well the 3ds is actually doing. That CNN article the other day made the same mistake.

Pretty sure the WiiU is much closer to 7th generation technology than 8th generation. It's possible it's the XBOX to the PS3/360's PS2. Except the WiiU has a crappy CPU, while the XBOX didn't.

Watch Dogs is coming out on both 7th and 8th generation systems, so we'll just have to wait and see how that goes for WiiU. Same with Call of Duty.

I'm really sick and tired of people discussing "crappy" CPU when they don't know what they're talking about. Lemmings.

The 3DS is going to fall behind the DS this month and it already did in Japan. I don't think people realize just how badly the DS did. it's first year to the point where the 3DS has been able to stay ahead.

Top Bottom