• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt |OT| thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening

Rnr1224

havent played mighty gunvolt but i and loving this game so far, especially the really fast paced platforming and the tag and shock system. Cant wait to dig deeper into it!

I was a little bummed when I noticed the frame rate but damn, it still feels great to play. Had to remap some buttons to get it where everything feels comfortable on the XL.

Inti Creates doing god's work.

It's crap that they ripped the stage text out of the English version. That's like something that would happen in a 90s localization. The crafting system seems stupid, too.

I just played the intro stage, I'm liking it so far.

It seems like it does enough to distance itself from Mega Man while still treading on the familiar territory.

wilflare

Go to your receipts :)

thanks! I remember at the point of purchase Azure Gunvolt said something like that... but I tapped next/Download Later before I read everything

had to take a picture of the code in my receipts... (using my phone) lol so I could see the code and enter it. lol

thanks mauaus (you were a regular at VitaGAF right, miss ya man)

Heh.

BwQDBhdIgAE-1RY.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did Mighty Gunvolt with all 3 characters. I hope the DLC happens, because it really could have benefited from more stages. I did like how each character felt different, like Eroko could capture an enemy & have them fire homing shots at others or Gunvolt's double jump.

Tried the first stage of Gunvolt & after my 3rd playthrough, it finally clicked. This is very score attack-based & it's a risk/reward system of avoiding checkpoints & not getting hit in order to get a higher score. It was cool getting 1,000 points & having the music change, only to be disappointed that I hit the checkpoint & then it disappears. I can't wait until I'm able to clear levels without touching a checkpoint or getting hit by an enemy.

Yuterald

Did Mighty Gunvolt with all 3 characters. I hope the DLC happens, because it really could have benefited from more stages. I did like how each character felt different, like Eroko could capture an enemy & have them fire homing shots at others or Gunvolt's double jump.

Tried the first stage of Gunvolt & after my 3rd playthrough, it finally clicked. This is very score attack-based & it's a risk/reward system of avoiding checkpoints & not getting hit in order to get a higher score. It was cool getting 1,000 points & having the music change, only to be disappointed that I hit the checkpoint & then it disappears. I can't wait until I'm able to clear levels without touching a checkpoint or getting hit by an enemy.

I've put 3 hours into the game and I've only been primarily replaying the intro stage. I did beat one of the main stages/bosses, but I've been so obsessed with trying to perfect the first stage. I finally just learned how the game works (basically what you posted above). I chained the entire first level (1000+) points plus never hitting a checkpoint and still only managed an A-Rank. Loving this. Shit's pretty core-bone.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Man, some of these bosses are just INSANE. And I've done the Zero series.

ahdurian

So I played a little bit on my lunch break.

As a fan of the MMZ/ZX games I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong.

So like, in the water level, at the point where
the water fills and you're trapped behind the gates
, there's no way to get across that in time, right? Because as soon as you're
under water, you lose all of your charge and you can't do much
, so I died twice and then
Lumen shows up and sings her son, and then I'm awesome for the rest of the level

Like, I'm not sure if that's a scripted thing that's supposed to happen, or if it's just the game taking pity on me for sucking.

i have no idea how to freaking beat that part. ive died three times on it now

Rnr1224

So I played a little bit on my lunch break.

As a fan of the MMZ/ZX games I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong.

So like, in the water level, at the point where
the water fills and you're trapped behind the gates
, there's no way to get across that in time, right? Because as soon as you're
under water, you lose all of your charge and you can't do much
, so I died twice and then
Lumen shows up and sings her son, and then I'm awesome for the rest of the level

Like, I'm not sure if that's a scripted thing that's supposed to happen, or if it's just the game taking pity on me for sucking.

I had so much trouble with that part.
I just ignored the enemies and rushed through.

I had so much trouble with that part.
I just ignored the enemies and rushed through.
Yeah I think you pretty much have to rush through that section, you can kill them if you're ahead of the water, but don't even bother if you're submerged.

I played a bit earlier and beat the water and light stages. Still getting used to the gameplay but I like it so far, definitely doesn't play like Zero (which isn't a bad thing I suppose). Was hoping for better 3D after Shovel Knight's but oh well. Game looks gorgeous.

Also, horrendous dialogue. Didn't realize Gunvolt was Shadow The Hedgehog. At least it's something to laugh at....

Mzo

Level design is a little basic but everything looks and feels amazing, and the boss battles are fantastic.

I love it.

Inti bosses are so much fun to fight. When that portal boss starts throwing those arm things in quick succession, and you have to quickly alternate between flashfield -> quick recharge -> flashfield to defend yourself. Sooo goood.

And I can't stress enough how much I love the scoring system. I feel like im more obssessed with trying to get high scores here than I was trying to get at least A rank on the MMZero games. And the risk reward mechanic with the checkpoints is genius.

Also, dat SNK level engrish in Mighty Gunvolt lol

Ok I don't know if it's the game or if I'm just finally getting the hang of the controls, but the "Viper" level was awesome. Exactly what I wanted from this game.

He isn't called Daytona in the English version?

Tain

Time to jump in~

I'm disappointed that it runs at 30, though not to the degree that I can't see any of the millions of other things at play here. I'm mostly suuuper curious as to what made them decide to start building the game at this framerate (because I promise y'all this game's logic is fps-dependent).

JCX

Wow, didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It's familiar without feeling like a Mega Man copy. Was weird to beat a boss and not see a "you got (name of power!" screen.

Videoneon

Ok I don't know if it's the game or if I'm just finally getting the hang of the controls, but the "Viper" level was awesome. Exactly what I wanted from this game.

He isn't called Daytona in the English version?

They changed some of the names I guess. Just going off of memory though, I don't think they changed all of them.

I've only beaten the Viper and Stratos levels, I appreciate the level length so far. It's nice that the levels are long enough and the challenge level just so that people will want to come back and retry levels to either retry challenges or even get "personal utility" like boost rank or study patterns. I like that the boss fights so far are a little padded and off the wall. Viper's Refulgence gives me a headache though; I don't play bullet hell games!

While I've been synthesizing different equipment I never bother with the skills. Both the offensive and the supporting ones get in the way of me experiencing the game so I just don't use them unless I'm doing a challenge (like the "destroy the Mantis before it reboots!" challenge)

The game is pretty easy and it really doesn't feel like a Mega Man game to me besides the some of the structural (level select, boss concepts) and mechanic (action platforming similarities. But worth checking out for sure.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Viper was the hardest boss by far.

My personal ranking of boss difficulty, from easiest to most difficult (by color, the names escape me):

Blue -> Purple -> Green -> Orange -> Yellow -> Red

3DS eShop keeps delivering gaming ambrosia to me, this game is fantastic.

Like, the game itself is dope enough on its own, but the score attack mechanics make me giddy.

I managed to get an S Rank on the intro level on my second try.

PsionBolt

I have acquired a double airdash. I should be happy... But! In the store, an infinite airdash is sitting there, taunting me with its un-met material requirements!

I swear, this game is a terrible tease. But it's so good. The challenges, the equipment, the ranks. I just can't get enough!

Beat the game with the bad ending, crazy good game but some of the boss fights are a little cheap, but overall the game is easy (infinite continues, health recover, resurrection...) but challenging if you want to play it the proper way.

So far I played 10 hours and still far from getting all the juice from the game, price/value is perfect.

Maaaan i was super excited when i realized this game out, for some reason i thought it was still months away.

So i'm working a 12 hour shift on my own today and will have a bit of downtime, picked up an eShop card, brought my 3DS all excited to buy, then play through this gem.

Totally forgot my charger at home and my 3DS is dead, the GF is away at fan expo so she can't drop it off to me.

Hilarious.

Gilgamesh

Is there some way to avoid (boss attack move spoiler)
the pink girl's stone beam?
I won after a couple tries but have never figured out a counter.

Fireblend

Banned
What's up with the resurrection thing? I died and became pretty much invincible thanks to it. Any way to turn it off? I don't like being rewarded for dying.

What's up with the resurrection thing? I died and became pretty much invincible thanks to it. Any way to turn it off? I don't like being rewarded for dying.

If you don't talk to Lumen before doing a mission, the chances of resurrection are lower, beyond that you can't do anything I think.

PsionBolt

It's not quite a solution, but you can always manually retry from the last checkpoint via the escape menu after you revive.

Ondore

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I think I've hit the wall with the boss rush. I get worn down by the first two and then when I get to the 3rd boss's super, I have no counter and it wipes me out.

I think I needed Joule to get through the first time, because that super is cheap as hell.

Any advice for a build that'll get me through this hell?

Fireblend

Banned
Here's another quick question.

What are levels for? What do they increase? HP? Attack'? EP? Do they just provide skills?

I've only beat 3 stages and I'm already like level 22, since I've been replaying them for the challenges (at which I admittedly suck, some of those are ridiculous). I wonder if my being overleveled is messing with the difficulty level or something.

Beat the game. The ending is stupid. I have no interest in searching for hidden objects to get the true ending either.

So there's an attack that the final boss does that can only be dodged by double jumping. This is dumb because it is entirely possible to get to that point without the double jump, which is locked behind the chance based crafting system. So I had to just tank the attack with the auto-dodge accessory you start with, which is incredibly unsatisfying.

This game is probably good if you like score attack stuff, but if you're like me and just want a Mega Man-esque action game, then save your money.

Here's another quick question.

What are levels for? What do they increase? HP? Attack'? EP? Do they just provide skills?

I've only beat 3 stages and I'm already like level 22, since I've been replaying them for the challenges (at which I admittedly suck, some of those are ridiculous). I wonder if my being overleveled is messing with the difficulty level or something.

They increase your HP and unlock skills. And I beat the game at level 23, so I imagine you're going to have a pretty easy time.

Yuterald

I feel like such a boner. I kept replaying the intro stage, skipping checkpoints, getting 1,000+Ks and I was only managing a B/A rank. For whatever reason (unless I missed it somewhere detailed/explained in-game) you have to cash in your Ks BEFORE you finish the stage. Wish I knew that beforehand! So, if I understand how this all works, you gotta string your score all the way until the last checkpoint? I just got my first S-rank on the intro stage. What the fuck are the requirements for S+? I got 268,536 on the intro level... 0_0

Yo, this ranking system is pretty gnar bone. It's been bringing out the best in the game. I think Inti Creates did a better job with the risk/reward chekpoint system here than Yacht Club did with Shovel Knight (despite the two games being entirely different 2D action games). Some kool-kid tips for those looking to wrap their heads around the scoring...

I believe all of the following are under the conditions that you've tagged an enemy 3 times:
-Air Strikes give you +30 Ks. (kill an enemy while airborne)
-Full Strikes give you +10 Ks. (simply tagging a dude 3 times followed by a neutral kill)
-Double gives you +100 Ks (tag 2 enemies, kill both relatively at the same time, there may also be a triple?)
-Secret gives you +200 (got this on the intro stage when I killed the boss in "one go". Never let it reboot, which was also one of the target challenges)

Cool squirrel.

DMiz

Just played about an hour of this game, and I'm really glad that I decided to pick it up. Had some dollars sitting on the eShop and figured it was better to go ahead and just purchase something instead of sitting on my hands waiting for Smash to come out.

The feel of this game is amazing. It definitely exudes the same charm and difficulty of the Zero line of games, though it's slightly easier.

The challenges, of course, are the main highlight of the title for me, and it's great to see them in there. The whole point of the Zero games has arguably always been to replay them, to see how good you could get at each of the stages and how high you could rank. I've probably gone through the first stage at least 3 times by now, and have managed to go from B- to A-rank (though S-rank still eludes me; haven't figured out all the mechanics towards racking up score yet).

I was initially put off by the main combat mechanic - tag, then shock - but having now gone through at least 2 of the bosses, I can say it works very well. It's not the same as Zero, and it's for the best. Having to tag, stop, charge, gives you a nice pattern to settle into, especially if you're going through a stage for a second go. You start to use down-time and kill-time as thinking moments - "Where to go next? What's the next room set up like? Do I have to dash, jump, charge, heal? How many skill points do I have left? Should I save them?"

It's all great fun. If anybody is reading this thread and waiting for a reason to pick it up, outside of hoping for a sale or price drop, it really is a nice little title. I read the IGN review previously and, while the review editor kept harping on and on about the minimal enemy variety, you really don't care once you're in the game. It's less about the foes and more about you - how well you can dash, how motivated you are to get through a stage faster and faster.

Will post again when I've had a chance to completely finish the game and can look back at it in it's entirety. Right now, though? Such a blast to play.

Tain

lol, I can't believe Prevasion. What an utterly lame mechanic.

They even tell you that you can disable it by unequipping pendants, and so far that absolutely seems like the way to get the most out of this game.

Top Bottom