• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver - Review thread (RT: 98%)

zsynqx

full-baby-driver-tracklist-released-696x464.jpg

Didn't see one so thought I may as well. I'm just super excited for this film. Will update as more reviews come in.

Rottentomatoes: 98% (113 Fresh / 2 Rotten)

Metacritic: 85

RogerEbert.com - 3.5/4
Feels both influenced by the modern era of self-aware, pop-culture filmmaking and charmingly old-fashioned at the same time, which is only one of its minor miracles.

Collider - 4.5/5
By using music as a way to tell us about character and emotions, Wright isn't simply doing cool stuff with the soundtrack. He's showing us something that's both beautiful and tragic about his protagonist. He gives us a movie you'll want to put on repeat.

Empire 5/5
An awe-inspiring piece of filmmaking from Edgar Wright. Sweet, funny and utterly original - you won't see a film like it this year.

Vulture - Positive
This is the first thriller I've seen in a long time that feels handmade.

Screencrush - 9/10
With Baby Driver, Edgar Wright is officially five-for-five, a rare accomplishment in filmmaking and one that basically guarantees his elevation to all-timer status.

Slant - 3.5/4
Baby Driver literalizes Edgar Wright's fascination with people's emotional overreliance on pop culture as a cover for arrested development.

IGN - 8.5
Even though the story isn't as impactful as its stylized packaging, Wright creates a delightful new film that is sure to satisfy his legions of fans.

Hollywood Reporter - Positive
A sweet and speed-crazed crime film you can dance to.

Entertainment Weekly - A-
With Wright in the driver's seat, your standard getaway driver story is transformed into a giddy, adrenaline-filled joyride that'll leave you gripping the edge of your seat and tapping your feet.

Variety - Postive
Like all Edgar Wright movies, "Baby Driver" is a blast, featuring wall-to-wall music and a surfeit of inspired ideas. But it's also something of a mess

The Verge - Positive
Baby Driver is exhilarating, fantastically entertaining, and mildly frustrating, all at the same time. Wright's directorial execution has never been better, and he's able to construct chase sequences that put the Fast and Furious series to shame.

Metro - 4/5
Arrives like the Calvary to save our depressingly franchise-heavy summer movie season.

Joblo Movie Network - 9/10
If not the best movie of the year, it's definitely the most fun. The premise may be familiar, but we've never seen it done quite like this before.

Plus here's a great write up from gaffer Messofanego who saw an early screening. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241264605&postcount=1

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I need to see this

Had a chance to see this free last week but couldn't make it. Shame, because I have so little luxury money at the moment, so I'll likely have to wait for it to hit Netflix. Looks amazing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ScreenCrush said:
With Baby Driver, Edgar Wright is officially five-for-five, a rare accomplishment in filmmaking and one that basically guarantees his elevation to all-timer status.

Love this quote as it's 100% true.

Definitely going to try and see it this weekend.

Bronx-Man

Banned
All these critics going bonanzas over their film nerd god Edgar Wright ripping off a dumb gimmick GOTG already did three years ago. Jesus christ, what a bunch of sheeple.

Prompto

Banned
That name is death nail in its box office aspirations. I can't believe Sony allowed that name.
Not to mention Sony releasing it a week before their own Spider-Man movie and at the same time Transformers, Despicable Me 3, and Wonder Woman are still in theaters.

Here's hoping it's a success though.

Top Bottom