• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver - Review thread (RT: 98%)

Apoc29

Does the general public not look at reviews for movies before watching them? In this day and age I don't see people deciding whether to watch a movie based solely on the name.

Solo

Does the general public not look at reviews for movies before watching them? In this day and age I don't see people deciding whether to watch a movie based solely on the name.

Who is going to seek out reviews for a film called Baby Driver though? I'd imagine most of this movie's target audience would see the title, assume it's an animated kids movie, and move on.

Pachimari

I love the name like crazy but I can see it scaring away the general audience yeah.

The general audience do not seek out reviews, like ever.

Really having a tough time getting excited after watching the trailers - I will still watch it, when it comes out, in a month..

I was a little hyped after the first trailer. For me it's enough knowing that the car chases won't have bullshit CGI stunts with explosions every 5 seconds. The cast helps, too. Can't wait for it now and 1 month is way too long to wait. Fuck.

kingocfs

I think his point is that "Baby Driver" is a horrendous, indefensibly awful choice for the title of a summer popcorn movie. Unless this gets crazy buzz from the 17 people who see it, I just can't help but picture the movie not bombing hard, due to large part to the name and marketing.

Which would be sad since by all accounts it's a great movie.

What is wrong with the marketing? And who doesn't see a movie because of its name these days? It's easier than ever to get information on anything. It's not like I'm looking up show times in the newspaper.

I love the name, it sparks curiosity if anything. Makes me want to learn more about it.

I drove 2+ hours at the beginning of the month just to see this early alongside a Q&A with Edgar Wright (I'm kind of bragging). It was worth the trip. I really hope this movie takes off because it is truly something special. Sadly, I feel like it won't get the attention it deserves - nobody I have talked to in real life has heard of it/is interested in seeing it.

At least GAF seems to have good taste.

kris.

Banned
Fuck I'm excited to see this again. Might go by myself tomorrow night to a showing just so Edgar can get some of that caaaash.

Razorback

Can't wait to see this. I remember growing up listening to heart pumping music and visualizing in my head all sorts of perfectly choreographed action scenes in sync to the music. I've been wishing for an action musical like this for years. I can't believe it took so long for what feels like a really obvious great idea to be made real.

I can see why they wouldn't. Anecdotal of course, but critics tends to not line up with many. Fury Road for example was incredibly disliked as a boring chase film with no point if certain number of the public was believed, but critics recognize what an incredible piece of film making it is. On the other foot, critics dislike Transformers, but those are regarded by many as enjoyable romps.

I can see why they wouldn't. Anecdotal of course, but critics tends to not line up with many. Fury Road for example was incredibly disliked as a boring chase film with no point if certain number of the public was believed, but critics recognize what an incredible piece of film making it is. On the other foot, critics dislike Transformers, but those are regarded by many as enjoyable romps.
Thank goodness for critics in both of those examples. :)

Mumei

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. The name does sound dumb, so I hope it manages to overcome that somehow.

Just saw it about an hour ago, it was really freaking good. The soundtrack is amazing, too. I think this might be my favorite Edgar Wright flick now, although it's hard to say when that's comparing it to the likes of Hot Fuzz and SPvsTW. I highly recommend it.

Just came back, reviews ain't lying man. That was amazing.

The final chase with
John Hamm
with that Queen song playing was masterful.

Now I need to listen to that OST..

Top Bottom