• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baltimore removes Confederate Monuments overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

Baltimore showing the rest of the Nation how to get it done. Fast, without notice and without hesitation. So far 3 of 4 are confirmed taken down.

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Roger B. Taney Monument
Robert E. Lee and Thomas. J. “Stonewall” Jackson Monument

DHVVDGWXsAEWKGp.jpg

This is fantastic to see. I don't know how many monuments can be taken down quickly without a city (or state) council vote -- I guess it depends on who put it up -- but the quicker, the better. The time for tolerating this stuff is over.

jono51

Banned
I wonder how much OT these guys got paid to come out at a moments notice in the middle of the night and take apart statues. wish i could be a part of that life

StayDead

Hopefully they remove them and put them in a museum storeroom somewhere.

While they celebrate something bad, they are still a part of the United States history.

I wonder how much OT these guys got paid to come out at a moments notice in the middle of the night and take apart statues. wish i could be a part of that life

I'd be tremendously happy to be a part of taking them town (and being paid well to do it,) but I'd also be scared that some crazy neo-Nazis may become violent while trying to "protect their heritage."

Dishwalla

Banned

While they celebrate something bad, they are still a part of the United States history.

They can remain history in the form of pictures, no need to waste warehouse space with these things.

i don't think people saying this realize how many confederate statues there are and how little a few being reduced to rubble matters

For some reason I have this bad feeling they'll be back up in a few weeks, once there's some distance from recent events. I hope I'm wrong.

Good riddance.

antonz

Didn't Maryland stay as part of the Union? Why would they have Confederate monuments?

White Supremacists Groups for the last 100 years or so have donated monuments all across the country and unfortunately local and state governments did not have the courage to refuse for obvious reasons

Cat Party

What history? This is Baltimore, part of the Union. Go look up what years these monuments were erected.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Is it really history when it was made decades after the end of the Civil War and funded by sympathizers to traitors and terrorists? If 24 years from now someone made a statue in Mosul or Raqqa celebrating ISIS would that need to be preserved for history's sake?

Didn't Maryland stay as part of the Union? Why would they have Confederate monuments?

Maryland was a slave state and nearly joined the Confederacy. Lincoln omitted them (and other border states) from the Emancipation Proclamation and allowed them to keep their slaves during most of the war because they were integral to the defence of Washington.

So safe to say there were some Confederate sympathizers.

Is it really history when it was made decades after the end of the Civil War and funded by sympathizers to traitors and terrorists? If 24 years from now someone made a statue in Mosul or Raqqa celebrating ISIS would that need to be preserved for history's sake?

We must never forget our horrid, racist past, or we are doomed to repeat it.

Eusis

They could store them in a warehouse. Maybe throw off the people prying open crates looking for the Ark.

These are Confederate monuments in goddamn Maryland, part of the union. These hold no historical significance beyond a reminder of white supremacy.

We must never forget our horrid, racist past, or we are doomed to repeat it.
Say it with me, these are not historical monuments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom