• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Holding SoulCalibur Character Poll, "Probably Working on Something Huge"

Skilletor

SCV's DLC only supported the character creator, I definitely would have paid for some DLC characters, but we never got that.

I was being sarcastic. I play fighting games for years and would love for them to be supported with characters/content post release. SC5, for me, is a "super" version away from being the best fighting game ever. I would LOVE character DLC for SC5.

I'm sick of seeing so many people act like all DLC is bad, and if a game is supported after release that it's "incomplete."

Steel

Banned
SCVI: Let's pretend SCV roster didn't happen

Yep. Gimme the SC IV roster with Soul Cal III custom character only movesets/weapons to play with, please.
I know, this won't happen, but let me dream.

SCV's DLC only supported the character creator, I definitely would have paid for some DLC characters, but we never got that.

There was a dlc character though. Dampierre.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Lcy1WBy.jpg

It's not too apparent due to the art style, but she does look a bit older. She could pass for 35 easily. I like what they did to Hilde... it's just a shame I have no idea how to play her.

That's just it, it's visible in the art, but in-game it looks as though they've barely even touched the face model.

A bunch of the female characters who got cut were in their 30's already so they'd be in their late 40's or whatever in SCV and heaven forbid there be a middle aged woman in anything.

EDIT: Speaking of what they think of older women, remember Lexia's backstory? She wanted to go out and see the world but Xianghua was like "No, girls don't go on adventures, settle down and marry a rich lord or whatever." So basically Xianghua became a completely different person when she got older, because the Xianghua of SC1-4 would never be like that.

It's even pettier than that.The only playable SC female who was in her 30s was Ivy, at 32 (when she suddenly stopped aging). Beyond her, the closest was Taki, who was 29. Everyone else was 25 or younger.

Skilletor

Nothing like having characters gated behind a pay wall.

Nothing like having a fighter supported by the developer so that people keep playing, there are constant things to learn, and keeps things more interesting inbetween releases.

Wait. There is something like it. Street Fighter, dead or alive, Tekken, Blazblue, mortal kombat, smash bros.

SoulCalibur 5 is a game abandoned by the developer that would have been made more awesome by post release characters, which would have brought with it balance patches to take care (or maybe introduce, you never know) some balance issues with the current cast.

But yeah, let's just continue to act like all DLC is bad and there is nothing redeeming about it.

I really hope we get a good Soul Calibur game, V in terms of gameplay wasnt bad but it lacked in contents, a good primary mode, the story sucked so bad and they cut soo many chars. I like some of the new chars but cutting good one was just a bad move.

YoungOne

Nothing like having a fighter supported by the developer so that people keep playing, there are constant things to learn, and keeps things more interesting inbetween releases.

Wait. There is something like it. Street Fighter, dead or alive, Tekken, Blazblue, mortal kombat, smash bros.

SoulCalibur 5 is a game abandoned by the developer that would have been made more awesome by post release characters, which would have brought with it balance patches to take care (or maybe introduce, you never know) some balance issues with the current cast.

But yeah, let's just continue to act like all DLC is bad and there is nothing redeeming about it.
I hope with SC6 it gets continued support.

Creaking

Gah, Zasalamel has fallen to 6th place. He's been overtaken by Ivy, Mitsurugi (these two...) and Kilik. Yoshimitsu has fallen to 10th place...

If they put Liz & Aeon's votes together, he'd be just behind Zwei at 27th. Instead one is at 30st, and the other at 36th...

Charade and Olcadan (HWOOAH) are tied for top Mimic.

Lexia remains the least loved of the new kids, and Viola the most loved (or most broken).

Edge Master has lost his edge. Sitting in last place with 9 votes, just behind Abyss and Elysium.

red36

Neo Member
They need to bring back what was so good about SC1 on DC, which IMO was the best SC. When I bought 5 I was severely disappointedwith just about everything and that customization was locked behind a multiplayer mode. The customization in the end isn't even all that great.

Scale that back and stick to the basics. New console, fresh start. bring back adventure/rpg modes.

Let that fresh start include Lizardman, Edge Master and Hwang.

Creaking

They need to bring back what was so good about SC1 on DC, which IMO was the best SC. When I bought 5 I was severely disappointedwith just about everything and that customization was locked behind a multiplayer mode. The customization in the end isn't even all that great.

Scale that back and stick to the basics. New console, fresh start. bring back adventure/rpg modes.

Let that fresh start include Lizardman, Edge Master and Hwang.

Which was...?

red36

Neo Member
Which was...?
easy, as at least alluded to in the previous post, the adventure mode. Going around having different stories with heroes and having to fight in sand pits, balancing beams and while on fire was pretty great, especially for DC at the time.

Either the 2nd or 3rd had a decent rpg mode as well.

The art gallery was pretty good also since it didnt feature overly-wrought anime and had real some real drawing.

Creaking

easy, as at least alluded to in the previous post, the adventure mode. Going around having different stories with heroes and having to fight in sand pits, balancing beams and while on fire was pretty great, especially for DC at the time.

Either the 2nd or 3rd had a decent rpg mode as well.

Haven't played II, but III had Tales of Souls for story. Most of the battles were standard, increasing in difficulty, but occasionally you'd get bonus fights with special conditions. Between battles, you'd also guide your character to their next destination, making choices and reading on their journey. If you met the right conditions you could also reach secret fights and a special final boss.

It also had Chronicles of the Sword, which was a completely separate story from Soul Calibur, designed around the new Create-a-Soul feature. The famous swords make appearances, and the main cast show up as tough opponents (without any other explanation), but otherwise it's totally self-contained. It was actually pretty lengthy and cool, and had special stage conditions depending on where you fought on the world map.

SCIII was my favorite though, so I'm always going to be advocating for it's features. In this day and age, it would have been patched up too, so even the areas in which it flounders (balance/bugs/exploits) would have become negligible issues. They kind of took care of that with the Arcade Edition, but then that was only for arcades and didn't have all the features/modes of the home release.

The art gallery was pretty good also since it didnt feature overly-wrought anime and had real some real drawing.
The art gallery?

Was there anything else that made it distinct from the art galleries of the other games? Most of them have had art galleries. I haven't played 1 and I can't find a video of it, so I can't make a judgement myself. III had a nice art gallery though. Can't find a good video of that either...

Roto13

Was there anything else that made it distinct from the art galleries of the other games? Most of them have had art galleries. I haven't played 1 and I can't find a video of it, so I can't make a judgement myself. III had a nice art gallery though. Can't find a good video of that either...

It was full of fan art.

Creaking

I love Nightmare, Astaroth, Ivy, and Zasalamel (sp?). I dont know who to vote for...

You don't need to buy DLC. You can keep playing your character.

I'd go for Astaroth or Zasalamel. They need it the most. Ivy is in the black, and Nightmare is doing solidly. Zas isn't doing too bad, but he's lost some footing. Astaroth is lagging the most.

mugwhump

Haha, came in here to rally the Talim brigade but I see I'm not needed. Since she's doing fine I voted for Viola, my SCV main.

Seems like this poll is sending a pretty clear message of "we want the old characters back." I wonder what kind of time-travel/age-regression shenanigans they'll have to pull to get everyone in one game.

Nyoro SF

Haha, came in here to rally the Talim brigade but I see I'm not needed. Since she's doing fine I voted for Viola, my SCV main.

Seems like this poll is sending a pretty clear message of "we want the old characters back." I wonder what kind of time-travel/age-regression shenanigans they'll have to pull to get everyone in one game.

"In the alternate timeline of blah blah blah"

Not at all surprised to see Talim winning. She was really, really fun to play in SC2 and I still remember some of her strings offhand and I haven't touched the game in a long time.

You know what I like most about that poll? It has the based SCIV Kilik outfit with the fresh jacket and not the weak-ass SCV variant.

synce

I don't think many people would complain if Bamco just pretends SC5 never happened.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I feel you. It's stupid because they split his votes, which is confusing for people. If they were tallied together, he'd at least be on page 3, and be ahead of Xiba and Natsu, and maybe even Pyrrha.

Yeah. I have no idea why they did that. I really hope this doesn't mean Lizardman/Aeon won't be in the next game. As I said, I'm petty enough to skip it if that's the case. I'd say that he's a lock since he's been a mainstay in some form (some reptilian fighter) since SC1 but SCV will prove you wrong on that.

Creaking

Yeah. I have no idea why they did that. I really hope this doesn't mean Lizardman/Aeon won't be in the next game. As I said, I'm petty enough to skip it if that's the case. I'd say that he's a lock since he's been a mainstay in some form (some reptilian fighter) since SC1 but SCV will prove you wrong on that.

I'm also worried that he'll just get neglected again if he makes it in. The last time his story/character wasn't throwaway garbage was SoulCalibur III (though to be fair, the same can be said for most of the cast).

Ultimately, I also didn't like that they pawned Kratos's moveset off on him. I just preferred how the old one played.

I won't skip it if he doesn't make it in, but the cast will definitely feel like it's missing something.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm also worried that he'll just get neglected again if he makes it in. The last time his story/character wasn't throwaway garbage was SoulCalibur III (though to be fair, the same can be said for most of the cast).

Ultimately, I also didn't like that they pawned Kratos's moveset off on him. I just preferred how the old one played.

I won't skip it if he doesn't make it in, but the cast will definitely feel like it's missing something.

Aeon will be rather fun with Ezio's moveset.

Creaking

Aeon will be rather fun with Ezio's moveset.

Well you know, Lizardman's moveset was under the "Assassin" job in Soul Calibur III.

Assassin Lizard's Creed might not be a terrible idea.

M... might.

Damn, Zas losing some steam there :/ I wonder what they're going to do with the results of this poll.

Print the results and feed it to Masaki Hoshino, then let him divine the cast of the next game from there.

Top Bottom