• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Holding SoulCalibur Character Poll, "Probably Working on Something Huge"

Korigama

Signs are pointing to SCVI being at E3. If Verendus is on the money.
That's one prediction I could very much believe, but at the same time, I don't believe a new Shadow Hearts (dead franchise, dead developer) or a PS4 Monster Hunter (not unless Sony are paying for it like with SFV, but it could at least finally get people who port-beg for PS versions in EVERY MH thread to finally shut up) as he's predicting.

A new Parasite Eve, I simply do not want to believe after The 3rd Birthday dug up that franchise, defiled its corpse, then reburied it wrong, and DMC5 I'll believe when I see it.

DrDogg

Yeah that's basically confirmation there. But it also depends when the update happens. TTT2 Unlimited to TTT2 console was less than 6 months. I don't see it happening, but if the update hit in September, you could still see T7 console by March to hit this fiscal year.

My money is on SC6 at E3 with a release by March 2016 (hopefully not getting slaughtered by SF5), then T7 coming before Evo 2016.

Skilletor

Yeah that's basically confirmation there. But it also depends when the update happens. TTT2 Unlimited to TTT2 console was less than 6 months. I don't see it happening, but if the update hit in September, you could still see T7 console by March to hit this fiscal year.

My money is on SC6 at E3 with a release by March 2016 (hopefully not getting slaughtered by SF5), then T7 coming before Evo 2016.

I think it's more likely that T7: Blood Dark Resurrection Revolution be brought through the tourney circuit next year, same as this one, and be released around October 2016 just like TTT2.

and fuck, SC6 is totally going to release opposite of SF5, sales will be cannibalized, Namco will say, "See nobody wants SoulCalibur," and the game will once again be left to rot.

This imaginary scenario brought to you by pessimistic Skilletor. :(

I think it's more likely that T7: Blood Dark Resurrection Revolution be brought through the tourney circuit next year, same as this one, and be released around October 2016 just like TTT2.

and fuck, SC6 is totally going to release opposite of SF5, sales will be cannibalized, Namco will say, "See nobody wants SoulCalibur," and the game will once again be left to rot.

This imaginary scenario brought to you by pessimistic Skilletor. :(
Hey, they cut content for SC5 and sent it to die vs SFXT so there's precedent.

Nah, they'll just shove it out the door before it's done so they can avoid SF5. Like they did last time to give Streetfighter x Tekken a little space. That sure worked out for both games...

Skilletor

Hey, they cut content for SC5 and sent it to die vs SFXT so there's precedent.

Nah, they'll just shove it out the door before it's done so they can avoid SF5. Like they did last time to give Streetfighter x Tekken space. That sure worked out for both games...

Thanks for fueling pessimistic Skilletor's pessimism, guys.

No, but really, what's the time from announcement to release for an SC, typically?

Kumubou

What if SC6 (or whatever the next game in the series is) is a 2015 game? Timing wise, that would seem to make way more sense, as releasing against SF5 and near T7 (assuming that's coming sometime in 2016) would probably not work out very well. Although I wonder how much that matters... MK9 and MvC3 came out at around the same time and both games did well enough, and even with SC5 and SFxT being released around the same time, didn't SC5 ended up outselling SFxT? (granted, that's partially due to how awful SFxT's launch was, but still).

Hopefully they're not doing a protracted marketing campaign for T7 like they did with TTT2 (which I kind of suspect hurt hype for the game a fair bit).

I just hope they've had enough time to let the game fully cook. SC5 was produced on a very compressed schedule and it really hurt the final product, even if the fundamentals (game mechanics, online play, CAS) were solid.

TreIII

What if SC6 (or whatever the next game in the series is) is a 2015 game? Timing wise, that would seem to make way more sense, as releasing against SF5 and near T7 (assuming that's coming sometime in 2016) would probably not work out very well.

2015 would be plausible, if they've really had that kind of time to work on the game, and just opted to keep it quiet as kept so that they wouldn't get our hopes up too high, too early in the game. Though, I wonder how much they would've had to work on it, considering Masaaki Hoshino's team is also on Pokkén detail?

DrDogg

Look Namco... just announce it at E3 2015 with a pretty trailer showcasing a CG intro and a few sexy bits from actual matches, give it the SC5 net code (or improve on it) and don't release it within three months of Street Fighter 5. Playable behind closed doors at E3 please... and let me stay for the duration of the show.

Also... please learn from NRS and Capcom and make your character reveal trailers entertaining. The Tekken 7 character reveals are boring as sin in comparison.

That is all.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The contest has ended, and Namco's SoulCalibur Facebook account made a post about it: https://www.facebook.com/SoulCalibu...9717618702/906045219438811/?type=1&permPage=1

SoulCalibur said:
1391856_906045219438811_2426810557097575719_n.jpg

Thank you Soul Calibur fans for voting in our character poll! We received a lot of votes! Top 3 are: first place is Talim, second is Taki and Mitsurugi is third!
Your input is very valuable to us and with your help we can make the future of Soul Calibur bright and hopeful :) Find the complete ranking below!

Talim
Taki
Mitsurugi
Ivy
Kilik
Siegfried
Nightmare
Zasalamel
Yoshimitsu
Tira
Sophitia
Cassandra
Amy
Yun-Seong
Seong-Mina
Cervantes
Voldo
Xianghua
Raphael
Setsuka
Viola
Maxi
Hwang
Hilde
Astaroth
Z.W.E.I.
Natsu
Pyrrha
Xiba
Lizardman
Rock
Li Long
Algol
Dampierre
Aeon
Pyrrha Omega
Patroklos
Alpha Patroklos
Soul Edge
Leixia
Abyss
Charade
Olcadan
Elysium
Edge Master

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pretty decent list, but what the hell is Astaroth doing above Z.W.E.I. and Natsu, and what are those two doing so low? The SCV legacy character hate is real.

Patroklos can stay at the bottom, pretty sure nobody liked him, despite the son of Sophitia being an awesome idea conceptually.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Pretty decent list, but what the hell is Astaroth doing above Z.W.E.I. and Natsu, and what are those two doing so low? The SCV legacy character hate is real.

Patroklos can stay at the bottom, pretty sure nobody liked him, despite the son of Sophitia being an awesome idea conceptually.

It's a shame this poll's largely being driven by story mode drips.

Patroklos is actually an awesome character.

Vanilla Pat: Deals really good damage, strong 50/50's, largely safe with good evasive moves and a ridiculous aGI.

Then there is the the thought behind how he fights. He's using an improvised version of the god granted fighting style of his aunt and mother. He has no god connection like they did.

Given that, and how he's really trained in Iaido, He doesn't fully trust his abilities to fight in this manner, so he's resorted to gimmicks. He stands with his sword pointing behind him to make it harder for his opponent to see what his sword arm is doing behind the shield.

It really reflects his personality well. Super arrogant to fight from such a stance, but it's also masking his lack of self-confidence. (Shows in his intros too. Constant death threats etc.)

aPat just exudes confidence at every turn on the other hand. His arrogant veneer is gone, and he fights honest.

I would really hate to see the dude vanish just because of a stupid Facebook poll.

Rock scored below Xiba and Pyrrha? Disgusting.

At least Zasalamel was relatively high up.
Yeah, Rock and Li Long definitely deserved higher rankings, (ZWEI too, though he did alright considering) but at least they weren't at the bottom. Hwang was in the top 25 so that's really great.

Just let me choose the roster Bamco. I got this.

EulaCapra

Congrats to Talim and Taki. Good job to their fans. But WTF. Mitsurugi, Siegfried, Nightmare, Ivy, Yoshimitsu, etc.? Seems like high-ranking waste of votes for characters that will probably always be back.

My pretty boy Yunseong placed 6th-ish if you take away the perfect attendance veterans and Kilik/Sophitia identities. Even better, he'd be the 2nd most popular male behind Zasalamel not present in SCV. Let's hope he makes it in...and brings the eye candy again.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, Rock and Li Long definitely deserved higher rankings, (ZWEI too, though he did alright considering) but at least they weren't at the bottom. Hwang was in the top 25 so that's really great.

Just let me choose the roster Bamco. I got this.

Li Long got one honest game and then an afterlife as a bonus character in one other game (and as a fully-fledged character in a version that most folks aren't aware of). Didn't stand a chance.

As for Rock, Project Soul started to treat his character like a red-headed stepchild. They did nothing interesting with his moveset (save for stripping it of moves and giving them to Astaroth), nothing interesting with his story, nothing interesting with his personality, and by the time Soul Calibur IV rolled around, his alternate costume was the same as his regular one, just without the helmet.

I wish he had gotten fair attention from PS, but you can understand why he isn't such a popular character.

Li Long got one honest game and then an afterlife as a bonus character in one other game (and as a fully-fledged character in a version that most folks aren't aware of). Didn't stand a chance.

As for Rock, Project Soul started to treat his character like a red-headed stepchild. They did nothing interesting with his moveset (save for stripping it of moves and giving them to Astaroth), nothing interesting with his story, nothing interesting with his personality, and by the time Soul Calibur IV rolled around, his alternate costume was the same as his regular one, just without the helmet.

I wish he had gotten fair attention from PS, but you can understand why he isn't such a popular character.
I know why they're not as popular, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve another shot. The thing about fighting games, is that every character has their fanbase, and I think everyone deserves another chance after a hiatus, unless dictated by canon. (Which most fighters play very fast and loose with.) And I mean a real chance, with the full treatment.

I get not every character can be in every game, but it's hard to expect less popular characters to get more support if they're never given any spotlight. (And if we're talking about Rock specifically, he's gotten the short end of the stick many times, even when on the roster.)

Seeing Lizardman just below Xiba is really driving me up the wall.
That is the very surprising. I thought for sure he'd be the least popular kid.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think it's cause folks maybe like his moveset. I can't fathom how anyone could like a personality that amounts to "I'm hungry" and absolutely nothing else..

You don't like them fine but there designs are no were near bad.
ZWEI and Viola are pretty great IMO, and Patroklos is alright. The rest are forgettable IMO, but I don't think any of them are outright awful.

Still don't think any of the kids should take precedence over their predecessors in SCVI.

I voted for Z.W.E.I and Yun-Seong.

My pretty boy Yunseong placed 6th-ish if you take away the perfect attendance veterans and Kilik/Sophitia identities. Even better, he'd be the 2nd most popular male behind Zasalamel not present in SCV. Let's hope he makes it in...and brings the eye candy again.
We are on the same page ;)

Best character Siegfried should be nearer the top spot, but #6 is a good result I suppose. When you're up against a pair of gargantuan funbags like Ivy, you can only expect to climb so high.

Oh dear. Maybe the print guys got the Soul Calibur and the DOA stuff mixed up... maybe?
Nah, T&A has pretty much been the focus of Lost Sword's marketing since it was released. This was their reveal of Hilde coming to Lost Swords.

Bi1zRP-CEAA3FRQ.jpg

Amy was about as tasteful...

Top Bottom