• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Holding SoulCalibur Character Poll, "Probably Working on Something Huge"

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Regardless of anything else, there were so many great aspects of the original Soul Blade/Edge that were jus outright abandoned when Soul Calibur came out. I'd love Namco to revisit some of these;

- Weapon destruction
- Critical Edge attacks (meaningful ones)
- Alternate weapon loadouts to customise each character
- The original Edge Master mode.

And probably a few others I've forgotten.

The weapon loadouts thing has been in up to III at least (and IV, although they made armor effect stats in that one too). V still has it too, although it's only cosmetic and can't be done right before a battle (same with IV).

And Edge Master mode's features have figured into most of the games since then. Soul Calibur had mission mode, Soul Calibur II had weapon master mode, Soul Calibur 3 had mission mode plus conditional stages in Chronicles of the Sword & Tales of Souls, and Soul Calibur IV had the tower of lost souls.

TreIII

Man, that's some castaway garbage. A real loving family would quest after him, investigating, asking questions, pursing the hunt until they found something.

They're probably too busy getting their jollies off of his life insurance.

Don't get me wrong! I'd like nothing more than for Aeon to finally get some measure of a happy ending, after sharing the posterchild of being the scaly woobie right alongside MK's Reptile.

But after around 17 years of being conscious enough to know who he is/was? He still shares at least part of the blame for not checking in on his fam. He could've at least been doing the Racer X "mysterious benefactor" type of thing, if he was at all concerned for their well-being!

Maybe after finally telling off his scumbag imaginary friend and eating enough scumbag scholars, he'll become cognizant and articulate enough to at least be able to interact with them meaningfully again.

Creaking

Don't get me wrong! I'd like nothing more than for Aeon to finally get some measure of a happy ending, after sharing the posterchild of being the scaly woobie right alongside MK's Reptile.

But after around 17 years of being conscious enough to know who he is/was? He still shares at least part of the blame for not checking in on his fam. He could've at least been doing the Racer X "mysterious benefactor" type of thing, if he was at all concerned for their well-being!

Maybe after finally telling off his scumbag imaginary friend and eating enough scumbag scholars, he'll become cognizant and articulate enough to at least be able to interact with them meaningfully again.

Well he was concious in SCIII, then in SCIV he was only conscious once in a while- just enough to know that he'd accidentally misplaced his soul (that's a thing that happens, especially if you need some kind of quest to be on) and go after it, but then SCV posits that he went full lizard monster for the 17 years until he found a new and incredibly vague imaginary friend.

If he had been fully aware for the 17 years, I could understand laying some of the blame on him. In SCIII it's said that he longs to go home, but rejects the idea at first 'cause they probably wouldn't take well to his makeover, or even recognize him. Then he goes looking for a cure, but doesn't find one. Then he goes on his little tirade against Hepheastus. We can presume that, shortly after that, he went coocoo.

Surely if given more time to let out all those cooped up emotions and think rationally, he would've tried to make contact somehow. He's got perfectly good writing & axing hands, after all.

What are you talking about? I just said I was interested in seeing what people voted on.

Don't you know you can't post anything in one of these speculative threads without it being taken as a message from the Namco gods?

Creaking

I saw MarkMan's face in a grilled cheese this morning. What do you think it means?

All of the DLC in SCVI will be free. I'm certain of it. So certain, that I'd burn MarkMan at the stake if it doesn't come true. He should know better than to send false messages.

AAK

You'd have to make an extra movelist for every character for it to work. It's not worth it.

Would be fucking amazing if they did.

Even make it like Samurai Shodown where you can voluntarily throw your weapon away.

SS x SC would be the best crossover ever

Mista Koo

Glad Talim is back on top. As long as she's in Top 5 I think they'll remember she exists.

Get in those last votes for Hwang, Rock, Li Long, ZWEI and Algol folks. You know it's what your heart is telling you.
Rock and Li Long should be replaced with Bangoo and Riki (Li Long's son).

I mean really combine them. Not just have cute Pyrrha with red eyes, but as a big hulking armored goliath. It would also be cool because it would be the first female SoulCalibur character with no emphasis on their sexy/cute aspects, and the first female main villain.
Exactly, I tried to do that in SCV when she was my main. I can easily see a few changes such as having the shield be part of her arm.
Also if we don't get that I hope they at least make Elysium Nightmare's counterpart, canonically she should be. Of course just keep Elysium's mask/wings and give us a blue and white suit of armor.

SCV would have been the perfect opportunity to replace Maxi with Li Long's kid, by the way. Is anyone really attached to Maxi?
I wouldn't be surprised if he was planned but cut, especially since they officially tied him to Natsu's story.
I think there's place for both of them. Just give him a three section staff instead.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I mean really combine them. Not just have cute Pyrrha with red eyes, but as a big hulking armored goliath. It would also be cool because it would be the first female SoulCalibur character with no emphasis on their sexy/cute aspects, and the first female main villain.

Hilde and Tira left out in the cold man? So cruel.

Steel

Banned

Hilde I can see, but tira?

She's definitely being emphasized as sexy/cute.

Unless you mean Tira as the new nightmare? If I recall, soul edge possessed her in her bad ending in Soul Calibur 3. Could've been interesting.

Hilde I could sort of grant you. She's definitely a step in the right direction. (Though the body tight armour was probably initially designed to capitalize on the armour break mechanic, and her face is definitely full glam pout.) I do love her design though.

Tira has definitely always been portrayed as sexy though. And again, I don't have anything against sexy characters, just the hope for a bit more variety.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Hilde I could sort of grant you. She's definitely a step in the right direction. (Though the body tight armour was probably initially designed to capitalize on the armour break mechanic, and her face is definitely full glam pout.) I do love her design though.

Tira has definitely always been portrayed as sexy though. And again, I don't have anything against sexy characters, just the hope for a bit more variety.

Hilde was just a woman in full plate.

http://8wayrun.com/attachments/hilsc5cg1-jpg.12294/ (Skinight? Really?)

They weren't aiming for sexy with her. The unarmored versions of her character also also rather benign.

I was thinking of Tira as the main villian in SCV. She is the mover for all this.

-Sophitia for some reason asked her to protect Pyrrha.
-Tira systematically murdered everyone Pyrrha married etc framing her, driving her to kill innocents.
-TIra was the person who kept trying to resurrect Nightmare

She singlehandedly drove the entire plot of that story. Behind the scenes for the most part, but she is the prime mover. Easily the primary antagonist. (Certainly not Pyrrha or Patroklos... Or Dumas.)

At least Li Long has little blades on the end of his numchucks. Hwang doesn't even have anything that unique going for him. SCV would have been the perfect opportunity to replace Maxi with Li Long's kid, by the way. Is anyone really attached to Maxi?

People like the style. Yun was too fancy.

Hilde was just a woman in full plate.

http://8wayrun.com/attachments/hilsc5cg1-jpg.12294/ (Skinight? Really?)

They weren't aiming for sexy with her. The unarmored versions of her character also also rather benign.

I was thinking of Tira as the main villian in SCV. She is the mover for all this.

-Sophitia for some reason asked her to protect Pyrrha.
-Tira systematically murdered everyone Pyrrha married etc framing her, driving her to kill innocents.
-TIra was the person who kept trying to resurrect Nightmare

She singlehandedly drove the entire plot of that story. Behind the scenes for the most part, but she is the prime mover. Easily the primary antagonist. (Certainly not Pyrrha or Patroklos... Or Dumas.)
The armor is still very fitted, and you didn't mention her super glam lips and beauty mark. It's a different kind of sexy, but still designed with attractiveness in mind. Though as I said before, I think her design is great and something I'd like to see more of.

Tira is the Iago of SoulCalibur, and I think you make a good case for her status as main villain, but I'd like to see a female character in the Soul Edge/Inferno/Abyss, etc. role. (Elysium counts I suppose, but that whole part was a mess.)

Loona

Even make it like Samurai Shodown where you can voluntarily throw your weapon away.

SS x SC would be the best crossover ever

I'd love for that crossover to happen, and even read once that that idea was a driving force for some of the guest fighters the SC games had over the years - it just never ended up happening with SS itself.

It's midly annoying when the closest we have to a SCxSS is the fact that Ivy, Cham Cham, Iroha and Mina are in Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos...

DrDogg

It does when you try to present yourself as an expert on the game when you don't play it or pay attention to the scene.

DOA matters in this conversation because I'm somehow presenting myself as an expert on SC? Since when did I do that? By saying Viola can die in a fire? By saying I think she needs a nerf to her guard pressure? Last time I checked, sharing your opinion on a game didn't mean you were claiming to be an expert.

Kinda silly to respond to a video of LP playing Viola with "LP doesn't use Viola." then.

The LP video was a response to my comment. I didn't bring it up. And when I responded to the video I asked if he played Viola as a main, then proceeded with "Even if that is his main...". Never once did I say LP didn't use Viola. But hey, keep putting words in my mouth.

I'm talking about on GAF.

Okay, I just searched through both of the main SC5 threads I could find. Neither of which have any posts from me regarding the patch. Unless I missed a thread, I never commented on the patch on NeoGAF at all. So... yeah.

Look, you seem to have some kind of chip on your shoulder when it comes to me. I poked fun at Viola and stated that I'd like to see her guard pressure nerfed. Since then you've attacked everything I've had to say, making accusations that have no factual backing and even claiming I said and did things that only happened in your mind.

If you don't think Viola should be nerfed, that's great. I don't care. I shared my opinion, you shared your opinion. You can get off my nuts now because I'm tired of debunking all the negative things you're saying just because you have some weird infatuation with me.

TreIII

Well he was concious in SCIII, then in SCIV he was only conscious once in a while- just enough to know that he'd accidentally misplaced his soul (that's a thing that happens, especially if you need some kind of quest to be on) and go after it, but then SCV posits that he went full lizard monster for the 17 years until he found a new and incredibly vague imaginary friend.

If he had been fully aware for the 17 years, I could understand laying some of the blame on him. In SCIII it's said that he longs to go home, but rejects the idea at first 'cause they probably wouldn't take well to his makeover, or even recognize him. Then he goes looking for a cure, but doesn't find one. Then he goes on his little tirade against Hepheastus. We can presume that, shortly after that, he went coocoo.

Surely if given more time to let out all those cooped up emotions and think rationally, he would've tried to make contact somehow. He's got perfectly good writing & axing hands, after all.

Yeah, but I would wager the only problem is his new "friend", Ares. If the original Astaroth was still around, he'd likely have a thing or two to say to his former comrade about trusting THAT guy.

Let's just hope our scaly pal figures out the truth before it's too late!

Creaking

Yeah, but I would wager the only problem is his new "friend", Ares. If the original Astaroth was still around, he'd likely have a thing or two to say to his former comrade about trusting THAT guy.

Let's just hope our scaly pal figures out the truth before it's too late!

Let's just hope Project Soul hires a decent scenario writer!

Any chance we'll see the older games ported to PSN?

That'd be cool too, but I doubt it. We haven't gotten any PS2 Tekken or SoulCalibur titles. Haven't gotten Soul Edge either. Didn't even get the 360 SoulCalibur remaster.

Besides new HD remasters (ie, SoulCalibur II HD Online or Tekken Tag Tournament HD), Namco doesn't seem particularly interested.

I'd love to play some SoulCalibur III without having to hook up my PS2 though...

TreIII

Let's just hope Project Soul hires a decent scenario writer!

That, and that Bamco actually gives the team time to actually realize their vision. Odashima, bless his heart, promised a lot that Bamco wasn't interested in letting him do. Hope things fare better for Hoshino.

I'd love to play some SoulCalibur III without having to hook up my PS2 though...

I'd still be very much in the market for a quality port of SC3AE-HD.

Though, I imagine that the only problem there is that if you realize such a good port of that game, you might run the risk of undermining the desire for a full-fledged sequel. That's the kind of problem SNKP ran into when it was marketing all those UMs at the same time as their new and shiny KOFXII/XIII games.

I know it's generally the most beloved, but SCII isn't really my fav. It's just above SCV IMO.

It's a close race between I & III for my top pick.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
SCIV is my personal fav. Character customization and best roster.

SCII has the best music and Link.

SCV has the best presentation and gameplay. It would be the best if it had a stronger roster. And the legacy characters were great! It just needed less weird cuts (Zasalamel) and more characters. And Ezio? Lame guest.

Roto13

SCV has the best mechanics. Whatever modes and shit you want from SCII, going back to that core gameplay would be a step back.

Creaking

SoulCaliubur III is my favorite, but I haven't played II extensively and have never had the opportunity to play Soul Edge or SoulCalibur. I liked IV and V, but IV felt like a step down from III outside of graphics (and online play, I guess...) and V, though it did a lot of things that were cool, seemed to do just as many, if not more, that were poorly conceived (or just not to my tastes, like meter mechanics & supers).

III is far from perfect, but it felt like a huge labor of love. I still think a non-buggy, non-exploitable HD remaster with online and Aarcade edition's improvements could be one of the top games in the franchise.

alstein

SCV has the best mechanics. Whatever modes and shit you want from SCII, going back to that core gameplay would be a step back.

SCIII AE's gameplay was just as good as V, and more in line with what I think fans of the series want. I don't think they want 3S parries, giant combos, and meter management. That was just Daishi giving the fans what he wanted.

Skilletor

Meter management makes everything better. I will consider it a MAJOR regression if those things are removed in a new SoulCalibur.

I can live without just guard, though.

DrDogg

SCIV is my personal fav. Character customization and best roster.

SCII has the best music and Link.

SCV has the best presentation and gameplay. It would be the best if it had a stronger roster. And the legacy characters were great! It just needed less weird cuts (Zasalamel) and more characters. And Ezio? Lame guest.

I also liked SC4 the best, mainly because I feel a lot of characters were gutted in SC5. Give me the SC4 move sets with current gen graphics and some nice single player modes to appease those fans!

I'm already expecting excellent net code, so that's not a concern.

TreIII

SCIII AE's gameplay was just as good as V, and more in line with what I think fans of the series want. I don't think they want 3S parries, giant combos, and meter management. That was just Daishi giving the fans what he wanted.

I think fans are more open than you may think.

Among the many complaints I've read and heard from different segments of the general fanbase, most of them just center on how much the story sucked, there weren't enough extra features or how their fave characters were cut or replaced.

I think people will be more welcoming of V's gameplay additions, once hopefully VI incorporates them in a game that's more widely liked and has more of what people expect from extra modes.

Sectus

People certainly complained about story and roster in SC5, but I've seen plenty of complaints about the mechanical changes too.

I personally wouldn't mind SC6 taking a step back and making changes which makes it more unique, not more like other fighting games.

It's a shame the fixed/rebalanced versions of SC3 (AE) and SC4 (Broken Destiny) never got a console release as I wonder how that would have changed people's reception of those games. Whenever I hear people talk about them they primarily talk about the glitches or broken balance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
People certainly complained about story and roster in SC5, but I've seen plenty of complaints about the mechanical changes too.

I personally wouldn't mind SC6 taking a step back and making changes which makes it more unique, not more like other fighting games.

It's a shame the fixed/rebalanced versions of SC3 (AE) and SC4 (Broken Destiny) never got a console release as I wonder how that would have changed people's reception of those games. Whenever I hear people talk about them they primarily talk about the glitches or broken balance.

Broken Destiny wasn't really fixed. It was actually more busted since you could get one round CF's.

SCV's meter moves and CE's are a nice compromise over that instant kill BS.

alstein

What made SC unique to me was the fact it wasn't super-technical, outside of some stupid stuff like Summon Suffering and JFs, in addition to Guard Impact.

I do wish Critical Finish came back. You could avoid CF by GI's and movement. Just need to make it where you can't CF from fast tracking mids.

AAK

You'd have to make an extra movelist for every character for it to work. It's not worth it.

You know I'd just realized that there is a way to make it worthwhile where you an make a specific stun state where the character loses their weapon the same way Vega can lose his claw where they have to regain it.

It would definitely make the game a lot more complicated, but it would make the games visually look so boss. I really want to at least see it attempted to be implemented in any weapon based fighting game.

Top Bottom