• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco Holding SoulCalibur Character Poll, "Probably Working on Something Huge"

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It sucks to see the cover art characters placing so high. Waste of votes. Like Ivy or Mitsurugi are ever going to be cut...

It sucks to see the cover art characters placing so high. Waste of votes. Like Ivy or Mitsurugi are ever going to be cut...
I agree with you, I feel like votes for them are probably a waste. Though at the same time no one would ever guess Taki or Sophie would of been cut either, but here we are. The roster gut job freaked a lot of people out.

roknin

Omega Pyrrha's okay I guess, but I prefer her normal style by far (I used to sub Sophitia and Cass a lot in SC2).

Literally the only thing that made me hate Pyrrha was the whining. If she came back in a future game (say the next one if this poll is leading to that) and was more "kind" and less fighting with the ghosts in her brain and crying about it while having a hinted at incestuous thirst for her brother (to be fair this didn't happen til the end of the *cough* "story mode", but that scene was... ehhhhhhhhhhh), I'd be down for that.

Glad to see Talim at no.1! Now so long as this isn't just for some half-baked F2P game with no multiplayer again, I'll be ecstatic.

I main Tekken as my 3D fighter, but I still loved and played a ton of SC 1 and 2, and would commit to an proved sequel to V.

As a side note, I did somewhat like Viola but by the time I thought of picking her up, my interests in the game had dropped too far.

Fuck aPat. Leave him with his original moveset, which is awesome, and give me back my sexy umbrella wielder.

I was all ready to pick up that umbrella-wielder and my dual tonfa girl in SCV, I figured "no way would they drop those two characters, they're too good!"

...then the game launched with no DLC ever in sight

and I hate it for that

I would have never guessed Taki would ever be cut, or Sophie or Xianghua.

With the exception of Natsu, all the "replacements" really kinda sucked to me.

And hey my main didn't even get a replacement!

...fucking SCV :-|

Creaking

I agree with you, I feel like votes for them are probably a waste. Though at the same time no one would ever guess Taki or Sophie would of been cut either, but here we are. The roster gut job freaked a lot of people out.

True enough, but the characters in question have survived the gut job, get frequent cover-art positions (etc etc), both made it into Lost Swords, Mitsurugi as a default and Ivy as one of the first if not the first unlockable character, and both are just much more prominently featured than anyone else. It helps that Mitsurugi is bland enough that they can come up with any excuse for him to be in the game, and Ivy now has magical no-aging abilities.

It's just a lame little circle. They're prominent. More players are then drawn to them. More players then remember/become attached to them. More players then vote for them. They then continue to be made prominent.

Monocle

Vote ZWEI. He has a really fun style with interesting setups. Super fun combos. Also, dat body.

Please stop voting for popular characters who will obviously be included no matter what. Like, Mitsurugi? Ivy? I'm sure they're in dire peril of being cut.

Please, I need copious amounts of Hwang.
I too love
H
wang.

alstein

Some chars tend to be more popular than they "should" be because they're broken (Viola being best example)

Talim doing so well despite being low-tier and fairly hard to use usually really means people love her.

JediLink

Someone please explain to me why Talim is good character, or in fact why she is at all better than any of the dogshit SCV characters.

Vote ZWEI. He has a really fun style with interesting setups. Super fun combos. Also, dat body.

Please stop voting for popular characters who will obviously be included no matter what. Like, Mitsurugi? Ivy? I'm sure they're in dire peril of being cut.

I too love
H
wang.
Some sanity in this crazy, mixed-up world. Monocle for Prez.

Viola: 79
Pyrrha: 43
Natsu: 30
Xiba: 30
Pyrrha Omega: 18
Patroklos: 15
Alpha Patroklos: 10
Leixia: 9

Seems about what I'd expect for child/replacement characters, SCV's poor story mode gave no reason for anyone to view the kids as anything other than reskins. I'd say Viola and Pyrrha are pulling in respectable numbers all things considered. Eliminate all the no-hope characters like Elysium, Charade, Olcadan, Dampierre and such and it doesn't seem a stretch to say they could include all the old guard and new faces without having a bloated and unmanageable roster.

Majukun

if taki and sophitia got the cut no one is safe, so please stop saying people to stop voting for their favorites... also, it's not like there will be only 10 characters in the game, so even the non popular will find their place without.
at best this poll will make Namco reboot the whole thing since the old cast is getting much more votes.. the story was so good till they did the stupid time skip.. I was interested on sc lore till they fucked everything up

Okay, for real. They should keep the time period and embrace it, just like they did with Tekken 3 and onwards. That didn't stop them from (eventually) adding Michelle or Kunimitsu back.

Sophitia can be brought back as a goddess-thing, like Elysium but actually reincarnated, and with her own style of course.
Patroklos and Pyrrha should remain, but as an actual iaijutsuka AND the new Nightmare respectively. Then their story actually had a purpose. F them if they just return as the standard versions.
With that said, Siegfried-clone Nightmare should be gone. Make him a Siegfried!! palette swap if you really, really need to placate the fans. Pyrrha has Soul Edge now.
Taki can be a badass ninja. Lose the skintight thing, style her after Michelle Yeoh in any of her martial arts movies, and there you go. Badass.
Seong Mi-Na was, after Soul Blade, always pretty mature for her age. She can be aged without changing the character. Also a bit more badass. In the worst case scenario, let her have a daughter with Hwang.
Hwang can be really badass at this point.
Rock... no, he's cool but they really don't know what to do with him. But Bangoo is way overdue to get his chance. Astaroth can go die in a well, he's a parody of himself at this point.
Li Long can return with a vengeance and double chucks.
Zasalamel did turn into Abyss, which didn't stop him from being in SC4. He needs a reboot as a new body but the same actual character.
Talim can be older too, more of a priestess thing.
Kilik should be back. The helmet actually wasn't a bad idea. Makes him a bit more than the generic prettyboy he used to be.

Most others could be put in for the heck of it, as always. The ones I would prefer not to see again are Cassandra, Yun-Seong, Leixia, Xiba, Natsu, and of course horrible characters like Charade, Abyss and Elysium. I actually wouldn't mind Olcadan or Edge Master if they need the random character there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If Natsu, Viola, or Z.W.E.I. get cut from this hypothetical Soul Calibur VI, I'm blaming you guys. No love for the next generation fighters. :(

Okay, for real. They should keep the time period and embrace it, just like they did with Tekken 3 and onwards. That didn't stop them from (eventually) adding Michelle or Kunimitsu back.

Sophitia can be brought back as a goddess-thing, like Elysium but actually reincarnated, and with her own style of course.
Patroklos and Pyrrha should remain, but as an actual iaijutsuka AND the new Nightmare respectively. Then their story actually had a purpose. F them if they just return as the standard versions.
With that said, Siegfried-clone Nightmare should be gone. Make him a Siegfried!! palette swap if you really, really need to placate the fans. Pyrrha has Soul Edge now.
Taki can be a badass ninja. Lose the skintight thing, style her after Michelle Yeoh in any of her martial arts movies, and there you go. Badass.
Seong Mi-Na was, after Soul Blade, always pretty mature for her age. She can be aged without changing the character. Also a bit more badass. In the worst case scenario, let her have a daughter with Hwang.
Hwang can be really badass at this point.
Rock... no, he's cool but they really don't know what to do with him. But Bangoo is way overdue to get his chance. Astaroth can go die in a well, he's a parody of himself at this point.
Li Long can return with a vengeance and double chucks.
Zasalamel did turn into Abyss, which didn't stop him from being in SC4. He needs a reboot as a new body but the same actual character.
Talim can be older too, more of a priestess thing.
Kilik should be back. The helmet actually wasn't a bad idea. Makes him a bit more than the generic prettyboy he used to be.

Most others could be put in for the heck of it, as always. The ones I would prefer not to see again are Cassandra, Yun-Seong, Leixia, Xiba, Natsu, and of course horrible characters like Charade, Abyss and Elysium. I actually wouldn't mind Olcadan or Edge Master if they need the random character there.
The best thing about the time jump was the silver fox versions of all the dudes, and I'd love to see Hwang, Rock and Li Long get the same treatment. Some of the ladies should definitely be allowed to age too, no more of this "magic blood" junk. (If they want to do it with Ivy, whatever, but the other female characters should be allowed to actually look their age!)

As for anyone that's "dead", just use some time hole/magic nonsense and bring them back. Really this only applied to Sophie. Reincarnation of Elysium? Sure, whatever, just do it.

ZWEI and Viola should definitely be brought back. They're both unique characters with great designs. (Just confirm that Viola is Amy.) All other cut main characters should return. (Rock, Hwang, Li Long, Talim, Zas, Setsuka, Cass, Taki, regular Kilik, etc.) Nightmare can get the boot, just give Pyrrha the moveset. The "replacement" kids can be utilized in a case by case basis as extra characters, but their parents/original should take precedence. Choose one mimic. Any others should be relegated to bonus/DLC.

The best thing about the time jump was the silver fox versions of all the dudes, and I'd love to see Hwang, Rock and Li Long get the same treatment. Some of the ladies should definitely be allowed to age too, no more of this "magic blood" junk. (If they want to do it with Ivy, whatever, but the other female characters should be allowed to actually look their age!)

Mitsurugi and Siegfried were off to a fantastic start (thus my avatar) but the rest just sorta didn't age. Well, Kilik and Maxi anyway, it's hard to tell with the others. Cervantes cheated and Ivy is sort of undead by inheritance. Tira... might actually have aged.

Creaking

Mitsurugi and Siegfried were off to a fantastic start (thus my avatar) but the rest just sorta didn't age. Well, Kilik and Maxi anyway, it's hard to tell with the others. Cervantes cheated and Ivy is sort of undead by inheritance. Tira... might actually have aged.

I'm pretty sure Tira is supposed to be the same age for some nonsense reason.

Hilde didn't look older though, and she had no excuse.

hilde-jpg.11126

scv_hilde.jpg

NZerker12

As long as Nightmare, Siegfried, Cervantes, Zasalamel, Taki, Seong Mina, Kilik (staff) and Xianghua are in I'll be happy.

Would like Inferno/Souledge to return as well so we can have him face Elysium.

I thought Maxi and Kilik looked good, and Cervantes looked AMAZING. His SCV artworks slays me.

I really want to see Hwang, Li Long and Rock get the same treatment.

Savitar

Talim is in the lead?

Is there something about the character I missed. Or are some voting for her based on the whole young girl concept.

sleepykyo

This. Then again, voting for Ivy is probably redundant as Ivy is almost like the feature character for Soul Calibur the way Jin is for Tekken and Ryu is for Street Fighter.

Well Talim was around since 2 and she didn't make the cut in 5.

Talim? Really? Out of all the incredible cast in the series she's the most popular?

Anyways... I want more new movelists. Looking at the new character brought forth in the series like Zwei, Viola, Algol, Hilde brought such fresh new ways to play the game. I want to see more of that in the next game.

Anyways, I like Hilde the most but it looks like I'm a minority.

Perhaps it is the most popular of the missing. Mitsurugi being in seems to a forgone conclusion if this thread is any indicator.

Voted Ivy. I wouldn't expected Taki to get replaced or Talim get cut completely but it happened.

Coxy

I think they were planning on replacing Hilde and Siegfried with their kids at some stage

maybe they'll end Siegfrieds story by having him kiled by his own punk kid

Mista Koo

I like most of your ideas, aside from aPat instead of Setsuka. I feel the only reason we aPat was development time.

Here's a dream roster I made 3 years ago for a super version of SCV.
For the most part it still applies for SCVI, although I'd probably merge Pyrrha with Nightmare and bring back Taki too.

bzSUv.png

Returning characters: Setsuka, Zasalamel, Talim, Yun-Seong and Hwang.
New characters: Bangoo (Mace, faster Rock), Riki (Three section staff, 2-stance Li Long) and ??? (Sword and hidden blade, Ezio's replacement).
Kilik is the new Edge Master.

Golnei

Perhaps she's unable to physically age beyond 18, due to a curse placed on the royal bloodline. The alternative would be to create a female character who's visibly in her mid-thirties or older - the same horrifying fate Taki, Setsuka, Xianghua and Talim were cut to avoid.

I thought Maxi and Kilik looked good, and Cervantes looked AMAZING. His SCV artworks slays me.

I really want to see Hwang, Li Long and Rock get the same treatment.

My enthusiasm for Cervantes' makeover doesn't quite match yours, but I did love the artwork - it seems like a design that'd be much more at home in a more stylised, 2D fighter.
Such a shame Darkstalkers is dead...
Regardless, that design, along with SCV's updates to Siegfried, Mitsurugi and Kilik, are enough to inspire hope that any returning male characters are going to be aesthetically sound. Interested to see what they do with Rock in particular...

I'd say the same for Zasalamel, but his look seems fairly set for the next few thousand years.

Voted Talim!

I hope they ditch all the replacement characters from SC V for the next game. That, or at least add them without ditching the classic characters! >: (

Perhaps she's unable to physically age beyond 18, due to a curse placed on the royal bloodline. The alternative would be to create a female character who's visibly in her mid-thirties or older - the same horrifying fate Taki, Setsuka, Xianghua and Talim were cut to avoid.

Lcy1WBy.jpg

It's not too apparent due to the art style, but she does look a bit older. She could pass for 35 easily. I like what they did to Hilde... it's just a shame I have no idea how to play her.

synce

Is Hilde still getting her ass kicked in the votes? Seriously what the fuck is wrong with people. The one respectable, classy woman in this series.

Roto13

I'm pretty sure Tira is supposed to be the same age for some nonsense reason.

Hilde's anime face looks about in line with other mid 30's anime face women. It just happens that early 20's anime face women look exactly the same.

A bunch of the female characters who got cut were in their 30's already so they'd be in their late 40's or whatever in SCV and heaven forbid there be a middle aged woman in anything.

EDIT: Speaking of what they think of older women, remember Lexia's backstory? She wanted to go out and see the world but Xianghua was like "No, girls don't go on adventures, settle down and marry a rich lord or whatever." So basically Xianghua became a completely different person when she got older, because the Xianghua of SC1-4 would never be like that.

Voted for Talim.

All of the whining about voting for characters like Ivy and Mitsurugi is stupid. This isn't a charity poll, it's to vote for your favourite character. If anyone likes Ivy or Mitsurugi they should vote for them.

Evilisk

SCVI: Let's pretend SCV story didn't happen
Fixed. I would be fine even if all of SCV's roster made it into the next game, so long as they just pretended the story from V never happened and they let most of the stupid absentees come back

Bousf

I love how the fanbase is sending a BIG message through this poll. It is safe to say that they will consider the franchise staples for a hypothetical SCVI now.

For the sake of balancing and gameplay variety, characters like Setsuka and Hilde should stay. The former because of exact timing and fast pressing attacks and the latter because of delayable/stackable combo moves. Those tricky features are very pronounced in those two characters, even though some others have a couple of moves of the sort.

When do you think this will get an official announcement? Since they are polling now, E3 may be a bit too soon.....maybe TGS?

Malice215

I'm not surprised that the 3 most popular characters on the poll are the 3 least used characters by actual people.

The only character that I want to see back is Setsuka. Whatever happens, I just want to see a diverse roster and no clone characters outside of Edgemaster, because if these characters were really that important, then SC wouldn't have had guest characters, bonus characters, or the ability to create your own for so long.

What they should do for the next game is to just add as many characters as they can. Otherwise people are going to complain when ___ is not on the roster, or nitpick at other things if there isn't enough single player modes in the game.

Skilletor

I love how the fanbase is sending a BIG message through this poll. It is safe to say that they will consider the franchise staples for a hypothetical SCVI now.

For the sake of balancing and gameplay variety, characters like Setsuka and Hilde should stay. The former because of exact timing and fast pressing attacks and the latter because of delayable/stackable combo moves. Those tricky features are very pronounced in those two characters, even though some others have a couple of moves of the sort.

When do you think this will get an official announcement? Since they are polling now, E3 may be a bit too soon.....maybe TGS?

I expect sc6, if it happens, to try and be more like sc2, fail miserably, and be worse than sc5. But lots of people are going to say it's better because it'll have tons of single player content and returning characters.

IvorB

Sure:

Talim: 294
Taki: 220
Zasalamel: 195
Ivy: 181
Mitsurugi: 164
Siegfried: 163
Kilik: 160
Nightmare: 157
Yoshimitsu: 144
Tira: 143
Sophitia: 137
Seong-mina: 124
Cassandra: 123
Amy: 117
Yun-seong: 101
Raphael: 93
Xianghua: 90
Setsuka: 85
Voldo: 82
Viola: 79
Cervantes: 75
Maxi: 75
Hilde: 66
Hwang: 62
Elysium: 6

The Soulcalibur V hate is real, but at least Talim is leading by a comfortable margin. It's safe to say she'll be returning in the next game! Can't fathom why they cut her in the first place, without even having the decency to replace her with another character using her fighting style and weapons...

It looks like my boy, Kilik, is safe as is Ivy. I'm also glad to see the classic characters at the top. I have no idea why these fighting game devs get the idea to shelve a well loved, classic character for essentially a reskin. If they want to introduce new characters then they should go ahead and introduce completely new ones but leave the vets alone.

Bousf

I expect sc6, if it happens, to try and be more like sc2, fail miserably, and be worse than sc5. But lots of people are going to say it's better because it'll have tons of single player content and returning characters.
Hitting the nostalgia switch will definitely spare them some lol

But for now I'd like to see a teaser this year at least, hopefully getting to play the game by 2017, give me a mode similar to CotS and I'll get it day one xD (I'll probably get it day one regardless)

alstein

I'm not surprised that the 3 most popular characters on the poll are the 3 least used characters by actual people.

The only character that I want to see back is Setsuka. Whatever happens, I just want to see a diverse roster and no clone characters outside of Edgemaster, because if these characters were really that important, then SC wouldn't have had guest characters, bonus characters, or the ability to create your own for so long.

What they should do for the next game is to just add as many characters as they can. Otherwise people are going to complain when ___ is not on the roster, or nitpick at other things if there isn't enough single player modes in the game.

Casual fanbase popularity is not the same as popularity among folks who care enough to spend five minutes voting for their fav character (I wanted Mina back- I just love hard-hitting ranged chars and I like her design in general).

As for adding characters, making it overkill won't work. You can end up with a TTT2 situation, and balancing SC is harder than balancing Tekken due to weapon ranges and guard meter.

How I would do it: I would unashamedly ripoff the idea behind MK9, and have some character (Viola maybe since she's the most popular and magical) go back in time to try and "set things right". You could also use this as a champ to revamp some characters. Use the SC3AE roster+Viola-guests. (adding HIlde as a secret character Quan Chi-style would be nice)

I'd also aim to keep execution very low. I don't think the SC fanbase wants a high execution fighter in general, and I think the lower execution level is a big part of its casual appeal. Daishi really went against the spirit of the series with many of his changes in my eyes. (I would keep quick step though, and he did the little things right. Overall I consider Daishi the same way many of this board consider Sirlin)

Top Bottom