• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

Timeaisis

He can act scummy all he wants if he shares some actual game-related thoughts. Or at least pretend to, right now his attitude tells me he isnt going to contribute at any point today because he knows he doesn't need to.

"I'm a scummy fuck and I always am so it's not a scumtell cya tomorrow for more of the same".

Nah

VOTE: SalvaPot

Alright, that makes more sense. Not enough for me, but I see your point.

I'm now realizing how much I rely on avatars to remember people. It's making me suspicious of Dusk Soldier because I keep forgetting he's there. Like he's hiding in plain sight.

Just dropping in to confirm I should be pretty active from Saturday on. Have fun, y'all.

Oh, when the day ends and the night phase begins, huh? How convenient.

nin1000

Banned
Nin, I like you, but you are riding that "minimum level of contribution" line pretty well right now. It's D1 so you get the benefit of the doubt.

I know, I know. I am indeed one of those low posters, and i could quote me on the past games that i hated those kind of players and wanted them out asap, since i thought scum could be one of those. But i dont know really where to start or what to say since its only day one and besides the initial "Hyperactivity" nothing happened.

I would love to kick things of by placing a vote on a player.

VOTE: Kyanrute

I cannot understand how coming from this post

23 [m] kingkitty - Not an indication of their alignment, but they seem consistent with the image I have of them.

you mention him on top of your Town list ( or at least put him in your list ).

I have sad in earlier games that i am no fan of Town/Scum lists, even more so early into the game, since it can very easily mislead people into thinking certain things.

Clefargle

euphemism it's been well over 24 hours since we've seen you.

Are you all right?

Do you need us to call you a cab?

I just nodded off while swilling absynthe, something I'm known for.

Anyways, I've seen good arguments put up for early lynching and I usually fight against hasty killings of potential fellow townies this early in the game. I guess I'm up for rolling the dice this time because I've seen it go both ways in the past.

vote: salvapot

Catvoca

Banned
So I’ve been busy most of today, only getting a chance to look at the thread an now and it really doesn’t seem like I missed much. There’s still a whole lot of players that haven’t posted enough for me to get a read on, and I'm not sure they will by day end.

Something that did stick out to me in my absence was Dragonz reads. To me they all seem like they are just saying things that other players have already posted. She even points this out a lot.
Problem with Matty in particular is that he's posted, but all of them are shit posts, as someone pointed out earlier. And that's especially troubling because, especially day 1, discussion is super important. Just feels like he's trying to hide.
Ourous been hounding Matty for a while and Dragonz agrees with him.
But I think Dusk is still more scummy at this point so
Thinks Dusk is scummy after Kitty and I had posted that he seemed scummy.
As for kitty, he doesn't post much but other that that his posts are solid. Just the vibe I'm getting from him. His posts open up further discussion which is good in my book.
Three people put Kitty as town in a short space of time, Dragonz is the last of the three to do so.
Hyper because I'm convinced that he's either scum or neutral. I don't think he's town, at all. I listed reasons earlier in the thread and I'm on mobile so I can't really go back and link them, but they're all there. I discussed it with catvoca,
Agrees with me on Hyper seeming a little scummy
Exodu5 because he only has one post of note. I also kind of agree with Time's post of him wasting the time he does have. I understand being busy, but why not make it count when you DO have the opportunity? That being said, I don't necessarily think lynching him is a good move, because he hasn't done anything as blatantly scummy as Dusk..
Thinks Exodus is scummy following a post by Timeisis. She follows this up by talking about non-active members being scum which I’m pretty sure was posted multiple times before, and is a reasonably popular opinion.

None of this stuff is definite bandwagoning, but it also strikes me as supremely safe play, someone who wants to seem agreeable with the vocal town members. It could be a coincidence (I mean it is sort of funny how someone agreeing with someone else’s strong argument can come across as scummy in Mafia) but there’s just so many thoughts on so many players that are just her referring to someone else’s opinion. I think it looks really scummy.
And for that reason I’m going to be a tentative vote on her

Vote: WhereAreMahDragonz

Oh and, eh, speaking of bandwagoning
Forgot to mention, but I feel like Catvoca repeats me a lot. Could just be coincidence, still slightly town leaning on him but less so than before.
This is because I called Volcano Mafia dumb isn’t it? :p That’s definitely not intentional, although I honestly I do find myself agreeing with your posts a lot of the time. I don’t think I’m parroting them though, I mean looking back our reads do differ quite a bit and I feel I'm offering up my own analysis. I’m going to be super self-conscious agreeing with anything you say now though lol.

Interesting read, Catvoca. Whereas you see it as a safe play, it looks to me like a dangerous one, because she's pretty much making enemies left and right, not to mention getting noticed for bandwagoning. On the other hand, if your instinct is correct that she's bandwagoning and she's NOT scum, I have to think that she could be a danger to the town because scum could manipulate her into voting for a certain person. Thinking further than THAT though, she could be useful if we analyze who is starting the bandwagons as possible scum trying to lure her.

Uh, I think I'm sufficiently paranoid?

Catvoca

Banned
Interesting read, Catvoca. Whereas you see it as a safe play, it looks to me like a dangerous one, because she's pretty much making enemies left and right, not to mention getting noticed for bandwagoning. On the other hand, if your instinct is correct that she's bandwagoning and she's NOT scum, I have to think that she could be a danger to the town because scum could manipulate her into voting for a certain person. Thinking further than THAT though, she could be useful if we analyze who is starting the bandwagons as possible scum trying to lure her.

That's not my instinct, I think she is scum right now, that's why I voted for her. I'm not 100% sure of course, that's why I added the slight disclaimer. I do think it's possible she's just a "weaker" or more easily influenced town player, that was my initial read of her actually, but with these most recent posts I'm leaning pretty hard scum. She's just too agreeable. And I guess I meant she is attempting to play very safe but obviously not succeeding.

This is Mafia, you can never be too paranoid. I mean look at you, bandwagoning on my post, definite scumtell lol :D

batsnacks

Anyways, I've seen good arguments put up for early lynching and I usually fight against hasty killings of potential fellow townies this early in the game. I guess I'm up for rolling the dice this time because I've seen it go both ways in the past.

vEWP8zv.jpg

That's not my instinct, I think she is scum right now, that's why I voted for her. I'm not 100% sure of course, that's why I added the slight disclaimer. I do think it's possible she's just a "weaker" or more easily influenced town player, that was my initial read of her actually, but with these most recent posts I'm leaning pretty hard scum. She's just too agreeable. And I guess I meant she is attempting to play very safe but obviously not succeeding.

This is Mafia, you can never be too paranoid. I mean look at you, bandwagoning on my post, definite scumtell lol :D

Yeah, my bad, I meant "if your instinct is correct that she's bandwagoning, but she's NOT scum" to lead into my comments. That's something I would've probably edited if it weren't for these infernal rules!!! ;)

SalvaPot

Are we seriously bandwagonning on WhereAreMahDragonz? Sice the very first post hyper setup the tunnel on her, and it seems town is taking the easy route and going after her. Seriously? Of course she is going to seem scummy if every and all questions are centered on her behavior, and of course she is going to break if you keep with it, even if it results she is not actually scum.

From my point of view scum (Not necessarily hyper, but any of those following the conversation) just selected a target and town is biting into it like dogs. We get it, its day 1, picking right now is kind of random, but if you are going to go with your gut at least put an effort and try to exhaust all the options. I am surprised by how many players decided to ignore my obviously fluffy posts, is it because it was too easy a target?

Don't give me a pass, I might be scum. And don't focus on a single player, that is exactly what scum wants.

cabot

wherearemahdragonz (3)
hyperactivity 205 (335)
barrylocke 383
catvoca 655
timetokill 656

mattyg (1)
batsnacks 222 (626)
ourobolus 245 (300)
ourobolus 624

hyperactivity (2)
kingkitty 224 (474)
dusk soldier 253 (641)
a human becoming 264
timeaisis 459

batsnacks (0)
ourobolus 300 (417)
ourobolus 433 (490)

ourobolus (2)
salvapot 327
hyperactivity 335 (360)
mattyg 644

crab (0)
hyperactivity 360 (614)

stackpoleh (0)
ourobolus 417 (433)
timetokill 472 (656)

dusk soldier (2)
kingkitty 474
stackpoleh 557

timeaisis (1)
ourobolus 490 (624)
dusk soldier 641

theexodu5 (1)
barrylocke 377 (383)
batsnacks 626

salvapot (2)
*splinter 650
euphemism 654

kyanrute (1)
nin1000 653

12 votes for majority.

gre_1465678800.png

Timeaisis

euphemism it's been well over 24 hours since we've seen you.

Are you all right?

Do you need us to call you a cab?

You always got my back man.

Your a swell guy, I don't care what any says about your game-running skills.

*chugs glass*

I'll take a bottle of your most expensive scotch.

VOTE: Timeaisis

I'm not going to vote Dusk just because he voted me, because that's dumb. But I just want to call to attention his contributions for the day. And the fact that he voted for someone (full disclosure: me) without giving any reasoning at all.

*Splinter

Are we seriously bandwagonning on WhereAreMahDragonz? Sice the very first post hyper setup the tunnel on her, and it seems town is taking the easy route and going after her. Seriously? Of course she is going to seem scummy if every and all questions are centered on her behavior, and of course she is going to break if you keep with it, even if it results she is not actually scum.

From my point of view scum (Not necessarily hyper, but any of those following the conversation) just selected a target and town is biting into it like dogs. We get it, its day 1, picking right now is kind of random, but if you are going to go with your gut at least put an effort and try to exhaust all the options. I am surprised by how many players decided to ignore my obviously fluffy posts, is it because it was too easy a target?

Don't give me a pass, I might be scum. And don't focus on a single player, that is exactly what scum wants.
The current votes/suspicion on Dragonz are completely unrelated to Hyper's first vote though? His vote was near enough RNG, I don't see how it could have been an attempt to influence things?

Catvoca

Banned

I know your post isn't solely directed at me but as the person who just posted a big thing about her I feel like I have to reply. I've had her down as town up until recently (I posted as much earlier), and I've posted about several players. I don't think I've been tunneling. Not going to deny it's probably pretty easy for scum to jump on her as a target if she is innocent though, and I have been suspicious of Hyper.

As to why you've been given a "Pass". Honestly, for me there are so many players who have only posted small amounts or big bunches of fluff, from you to Matty, Exodus, nin, euphemism - there's a whole lot of people who haven't posted shit and have been called on it by someone that I find it hard to zero in any one of them. They could all be scum, but none stick out in a way I wanted to comment on. I should probably change that but right now I've just been posting on stuff that struck me as odd. I was hoping more people would start posting more stuff to read, but it hasn't really happened.

I'm not going to vote Dusk just because he voted me, because that's dumb. But I just want to call to attention his contributions for the day. And the fact that he voted for someone (full disclosure: me) without giving any reasoning at all.

I thought Dusk seemed scummy yesterday but people were saying it was just his playstyle. Today nothings happend to change my mind.

*Splinter

Hmm

Hmm

HMM

batsnacks

I think he voted you cause you yawned at him/in his presence.

I was trying to liven the game up for you. Did it work? Or are you still falling asleep?

batsnacks

I figured it was a cultural thing like I heard once that burping is polite in France or somewhere but if you do that here it's considered rude and you might offend people. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

batsnacks

I "get" the last two things splinter said I think he thinks it's weird Time is wanting to draw attention to how scummy Dusk is but isn't going to vote for him.

And that euphemism post/vote was really random and scummy he even says he wants to "roll the dice."

Timeaisis

Bats, I do think Dusk is scummy. I just think Hyper and Exodu5 are more scummy, so I wanted to see what other people thought of Dusk. Seems like other people are iffy on Dusk, too. But again, Dusk hasn't done anything explicitly suspicious, just being inactive and what he does post is mostly fluff (or "coasting" as people say). That being said...

Hyperactivity is still on my radar, but his contributions for the day have been more level. I do think the activity dropoff for Hyper is weird, but we could chalk that up to him easing up after numerous people called out his "hyperactive" first day (see what I did there?) So I'm going to vote for who I have the most commentary on, and that's Exodu5.

VOTE: TheExodo5

Here's what I said yesterday.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206117457&postcount=493
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206118069&postcount=495

I "get" the last two things splinter said I think he thinks it's weird Time is wanting to draw attention to how scummy Dusk is but isn't going to vote for him.

And that euphemism post/vote was really random and scummy he even says he wants to "roll the dice."

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Like he was trying to juxtapose timetokills theory about scum potentially using wherearemahdragonz to manipulate the votes, with two examples of players(i.e. potential scum) trying to start a bandwagon.

kingkitty

actually, meant to ask

and yes, i am tunneling on D1 because why not

what do you think about batsnacks/mattyg?

reading thru their posts

In terms of flufferness, mattyg wins the contest against batsnacks. First post was an easy discussion about whether we should lynch or not. And then he doesn't take the vote from batsnacks seriously. From there is fluff.

On batsnacks, early on he voted for mattyg. He didn't seem to mention mattyg much from that point on. He later justified keeping his vote on mattyg because "It will be helpful later if MattyG flips mafia. It's small but it's better than the nothing I'd be accomplishing by not voting on a hunch this early. This is just sort of how I play."

There's a chance I misread this, but I think he meant that was it was better to stick to the hunches, and see the lynch occur. Earlier his plan was "I'm going to vote today, talk to various people that are in the thread when I am, and then towards the end of the day I'm going to consolidate my vote on whichever lynchable person I think is scummiest."

I think "end of the day", "consolidate my vote", "whichever lychable person" would imply he might not keep his vote on his early hunch. And later in the game he indeed changed his vote. This isn't some huge contradiction, but I think there is a little vibration of friction between how he justified keeping his vote on mattyg, and how he stated his plan. Or I just misread what he posted.

between the two, mattyg has been less contributing, and more fluff oriented.

batsnacks

I know there's people here right now, we're about halfway through this phase anyone wanna form like Voltron and start a proper bandwagon? I think this is a good time for the first one and I think there's a good target.

Vote: euphemism

Come on the people that are always around lets work together on something good.

batsnacks

reading thru their posts

In terms of flufferness, mattyg wins the contest against batsnacks. First post was an easy discussion about whether we should lynch or not. And then he doesn't take the vote from batsnacks seriously. From there is fluff.

On batsnacks, early on he voted for mattyg. He didn't seem to mention mattyg much from that point on. He later justified keeping his vote on mattyg because "It will be helpful later if MattyG flips mafia. It's small but it's better than the nothing I'd be accomplishing by not voting on a hunch this early. This is just sort of how I play."

There's a chance I misread this, but I think he meant that was it was better to stick to the hunches, and see the lynch occur. Earlier his plan was "I'm going to vote today, talk to various people that are in the thread when I am, and then towards the end of the day I'm going to consolidate my vote on whichever lynchable person I think is scummiest."

I think "end of the day", "consolidate my vote", "whichever lychable person" would imply he might not keep his vote on his early hunch. And later in the game he indeed changed his vote. This isn't some huge contradiction, but I think there is a little vibration of friction between how he justified keeping his vote on mattyg, and how he stated his plan. Or I just misread what he posted.

between the two, mattyg has been less contributing, and more fluff oriented.

I just voted MattyG on a hunch/to make a statement about lynching day 1 and kept it there a while because nothing happened to make me feel different or bad about my vote.

batsnacks

5 people (at least) wondering if they should post or are sitting in the reply window laboring every character they type cause they're afraid what will happen if they get something wrong.

This game can move fast and be really fun. There's several good targets right now it doesn't need to take two days to try piling up onto one of them. I bet if we did some of the less active people would come out.

kingkitty

euphemism has posted very little, and what he has posted is again touching upon the very safe lynch/no-lynch convo. scum could be susceptible to inactivity, just like a regular townie. and a townie who is often inactive could slow the game to a crawl, and become a big issue in the late day phases.

but at the moment i feel fine keeping my vote on Dusk

Catvoca

Banned
5 people (at least) wondering if they should post or are sitting in the reply window laboring every character they type cause they're afraid what will happen if they get something wrong.

You know this was something I was thinking about as I posted about Dragonz. I might be helping to cultivate an atmosphere where people are afraid to post because I've been so eager to jump on them. I hope that's not the case, but if it is I apologize if I've made people feel that way. We're all just here to have some fun.

This game can move fast and be really fun. There's several good targets right now it doesn't need to take two days to try piling up onto one of them. I bet if we did some of the less active people would come out.

Are you saying we should pick a target and pile on them now? Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm not totally against it.

None of this stuff is definite bandwagoning, but it also strikes me as supremely safe play, someone who wants to seem agreeable with the vocal town members. It could be a coincidence (I mean it is sort of funny how someone agreeing with someone else’s strong argument can come across as scummy in Mafia) but there’s just so many thoughts on so many players that are just her referring to someone else’s opinion. I think it looks really scummy.
And for that reason I’m going to be a tentative vote on her

Oh and, eh, speaking of bandwagoning

This is because I called Volcano Mafia dumb isn’t it? :p That’s definitely not intentional, although I honestly I do find myself agreeing with your posts a lot of the time. I don’t think I’m parroting them though, I mean looking back our reads do differ quite a bit and I feel I'm offering up my own analysis. I’m going to be super self-conscious agreeing with anything you say now though lol.

I can see how this is considered safe play. I don't mean for it to come off that way; I'm just trying to openly discuss with people and offer as many points of conversation as possible in order to come to a decision. Day one is a crapshoot, if we're being honest, and there's nothing that anyone can really do other than offer tentative reads. I still meant every post I made, though. I do agree with a bunch of people here, and I didn't even realize it came off as bandwagon-y until you said something about it.

I will probably agree less and less with people as the game progresses; it's just what happens when new information is revealed.

Ironic, that this post calls me out for bandwagoning, and yet, that's exactly what kill here is doing. Just feels like he's trying to throw a weak vote down on someone, just to appear helpful. Have you contributed anything else of note to the discussion? Or are you just going to hope this weak excuse sticks?

I also think it's interesting that I have yet to appear on your radar, according to your posts, and yet, you vote for me. Hm. In fact the only other time you talk about me is to suggest Stackpole as a target?

Actually, you've only posted three times in this thread? I know that's not really an indication of scum, but I just think it's funny that you do nothing to contribute and then throw a bandwagon vote down.

The current votes/suspicion on Dragonz are completely unrelated to Hyper's first vote though? His vote was near enough RNG, I don't see how it could have been an attempt to influence things?

It wasn't an RNG vote, though. He picked me for a specific "reason". Not a very good reason, IMO, but I digress.

Now to start this, I'm not going to be voting randomly for Wherearemahdragonz:

VOTE: Wherearemahdragonz

I've never been in a game with you, and based on the pre-game, you'll be fairly active.

He picks me because I'm new to him and because I've been active. Which, if you think about it, doesn't really make sense. I mean the whole not being in a game with me business is a good enough excuse but the second part is what has me concerned.

"You'll be fairly active." How is that an indication of anything? I find it hard to believe that all he wanted was a fast response, when there are many other active people here. The game wasn't going anywhere, and honestly he got lucky, because I was actually in a class when the game started. But I've been suspecting that I've been a scapegoat for a little while now, I just wanted to sleep on it. And by recent developments, I'd say he's succeeding. I've been on his case since the beginning and I am convinced he knows more than he's letting on. No, he picked me because he knew I would be in the thread a lot and that if he talked about me as the first post, there would be a spotlight on me.

Scum don't want open discussion. They want to control what's said, even on day one when no one knows anything. They immediately have the advantage right off the bat, because they know way more than we do. And I'm like 99% convinced that I was picked as an easy target. Ever since Hyper's opening post, I've been the topic of discussion in a large percentage of the votes, because I stuck with you. Because I was the first thing mentioned in this game. Scum wouldn't have to direct conversation if we did it ourselves. It's also funny how Hyper has mysteriously vanished. He drops some other posts with nothing of note and leaves the town to do his dirty work. And it was pre-planned, suggesting that he coordinated the whole thing with a team.

I'll probably be accused of "bandwagoning an opinion" in response to Salva. Or for trying to throw someone under the bus. Maybe I'm being too aggressive, but you can't deny this whole thing is super fishy.

I'd put scum team as Hyper, timetokill, and Dusk as my top three. Dusk because it's a great cover to vote for someone who is accused of tunneling right from the beginning in order to appear helpful. It takes your teammate off of everyone's radar by drawing attention to yourself. I can't shake the feeling that they're working as a team.

His recent random vote has made me highly suspicious of timetokill. I would be fine with it if his reasoning was actually good, but it's not. Can you offer any further explanation, kill?

But for now, until I get an answer, I feel fairly comfortable with a vote on Hyper.

Vote: Hyperactivity

batsnacks

You know this was something I was thinking about as I posted about Dragonz. I might be helping to cultivate an atmosphere where people are afraid to post because I've been so eager to jump on them. I hope that's not the case, but if it is I apologize if I've made people feel that way. We're all just here to have some fun.

Are you saying we should pick a target and pile on them now? Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm not totally against it.

It's going to have to happen sooner or later. Voting anyone but the "main wagons" at the end of the day is generally scummy.

It is a good idea to have a few people under real pressure backed by actual game mechanics (more than 1 or 2 votes) before the very end of the day so that in the event there is a claim or some other huge drama there is time to deal with it.

I am up for voting euphemism, Exodu5, MattyG, dusk... I want to work on a little consolidating.

Ourobolus

Banned
It's going to have to happen sooner or later. Voting anyone but the "main wagons" at the end of the day is generally scummy.

It is a good idea to have a few people under real pressure backed by actual game mechanics (more than 1 or 2 votes) before the very end of the day so that in the event there is a claim or some other huge drama there is time to deal with it.

I am up for voting euphemism, Exodu5, MattyG, dusk... I want to work on a little consolidating.
i'm fine with those. Exodu5...eh. he's not on my list like the rest of them but i could be persuaded

batsnacks

Hyper probably isn't getting lynched dragonz he pocketed enough people with his diving in head first and actual paragraphs.

You should get in on this vote consolidating on others.

Top Bottom