• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

*Splinter

Didn't Batsnacks literally just pick a bunch of targets?
I want 2 targets and I want everyone else to pick a side. There are too many people not caring about D1 and it's making it impossible to do anything

That said I have no objections to any of the targets bats mentioned

Here's my problem right now.

For one, there are too many damned long posts here. I don't have the time to read through all the fluff and overly verbose posts. I want facts, hypothesis, and voting patterns. All we've got so far are weak "reads" scattered throughout massive walls of text. I don't have the time or patience to sift through all of this. This is why I'm inactive at this point. I also feel like it's much easier for scum to hide within active posters than inactive ones at this point.

Right now, barrylocke and batsnacks have twice tried to get a bandwagon started against me. Barrylocke failed the first time and went back on me. Now batsnacks is calling to go back against me. Batsnacks is also being quite active, which I find more suspect than anything day 1. In all the games I've been in, scum have tried to take lead of the conversation...Hyper did it in HP, and I feel like Batsnacks is doing it here.

I was content with a no lynch on day 1, but I'd rather not take the inevitable vote train lying down.

Vote: batsnacks

If you're actively not trying to be part of the solution, you're part of the problem. That's not town behavior.

Vote: TheExodu5

For one, there are too many damned long posts here. I don't have the time to read through all the fluff and overly verbose posts. I want facts, hypothesis, and voting patterns. All we've got so far are weak "reads" scattered throughout massive walls of text. I don't have the time or patience to sift through all of this. This is why I'm inactive at this point. I also feel like it's much easier for scum to hide within active posters than inactive ones at this point.

Right now, barrylocke and batsnacks have twice tried to get a bandwagon started against me. Barrylocke failed the first time and went back on me. Now batsnacks is calling to go back against me. Batsnacks is also being quite active, which I find more suspect than anything day 1. In all the games I've been in, scum have tried to take lead of the conversation...Hyper did it in HP, and I feel like Batsnacks is doing it here.

I was content with a no lynch on day 1, but I'd rather not take the inevitable vote train lying down.

well, this is the first indication that you aren't taking your no lynch vote as an excuse to leave, so I guess that's good

on the other hand, asides from OMGUS, what about batsnacks makes you point him out as trying to take control as opposed to the other high activity poster?

We need like 6-8 people to be voting the same person right now.

06 [m] euphemism
10 [f] StackpoleH
12 [m] TheExodu5
13 [m] MattyG
17 [m] AbsolutBro

These people are un-vouched for.

yeah, this list is pretty bullshit Ono, and I'll tell you why:

A. it rewards all of the players who have just played safe, posting non controversial opinions for predicting what should happen on the standard, terrible GAFIA day 1

B. for 4/5 of those members, we get fuck all from their lynches, and while this is sorta WIFOM, I know TheExodu5 knows what low key and towny looking scum should act like, that was his greatest asset to us in Harry Potter, when he was scum. I doubt he seriously makes the no lynch and I'm going away attempt, he's not new scum, he has played a great day 1 scum before

C. They are easy lynches to hide behind

D. Given the lower activity levels from them, their save me post is probably going to be either them claiming their or revealing that they were ordinary, or just not posting because they are out of the thread. Which again, tells us fuck all compared to more active players trying to fight against their lynch more, and deliberately timing any revelations to only when it's absolutely necessary

cabot

DRUNK VOTE TALLY OOPS:

wherearemahdragonz (2)
hyperactivity 205 (335)
barrylocke 383 (779)
catvoca 655 (703)
timetokill 656
tomakasatnav 910 (913)
tomakasatnav 913

mattyg (0)
batsnacks 222 (626)
ourobolus 245 (300)
ourobolus 624 (714)

hyperactivity (1)
kingkitty 224 (474)
dusk soldier 253 (641)
a human becoming 264
timeaisis 459 (678)
wherearemahdragonz 693 (1030)

batsnacks (1)
ourobolus 300 (417)
ourobolus 433 (490)
theexodu5 1050

ourobolus (2)
salvapot 327 (857)
hyperactivity 335 (360)
mattyg 644
salvapot 948

crab (0)
hyperactivity 360 (614)

stackpoleh (0)
ourobolus 417 (433)
timetokill 472 (656)

dusk soldier (2)
kingkitty 474
stackpoleh 557 (923)
batsnacks 733 (943)
timeaisis 869

timeaisis (0)
ourobolus 490 (624)
dusk soldier 641 (1035)

theexodu5 (4)
barrylocke 377 (383)
batsnacks 626 (682)
timeaisis 692 (869)
barrylocke 813 (815)
barrylocke 815
*splinter 1054
wherearemahdragonz 1055
kyanrute 1057

salvapot (1)
*splinter 650 (835)
euphemism 654

kyanrute (1)
nin1000 653

euphemism (0)
batsnacks 682 (733)

catvoca (0)
ourobolus 714 (716)

timetokill (0)
ourobolus 716 (864)
hyperactivity 994 (1000)

no lynch (1)
theexodu5 828 (1050)
salvapot 857 (948)
retroid 858

tomakasatnav (0)
*splinter 835 (1054)

retroid (1)
ourobolus 864
kyanrute 877 (1057)

absolutbro (4)
catvoca 1018
dusk soldier 1035
crab 1046
batsnacks 1053

Alright Absolut vs Exodu5 sounds good to me. I want opinions and votes, everyone state your position.

Currently at 4 votes each

I voted Exodu5 because he has been scummy from the beginning and I've had suspicions ever since the game started. His posts don't have much meat in them which can also apply to Absolut, but the difference between him and Absolut is their behavior. His last post kind of sealed the deal for me; he's intentionally removed from the discussion which does not make sense. Of course, Absolut could be doing the same thing, but we don't know for sure. It's kind of a gut read in general but id rather take my chances on someone with evidence to suggest they're scum as opposed to someone who has only given me bad vibes.

*Splinter

Hyper you can spare me the lecture when you don't even have a vote out. I want to see scum fighting for their survival, you aren't contributing to that.

vote:Exodu5

I feel bad about how inactive I've been. Busier weekend than I suspected. But I didn't want to have the day end without voting-- not fair to not put myself out there.

I think no lunch has been sufficiently on the table to introduce tension to day 1-- people appear to be voting on suspicion rather than policy or inertia.

I see it's a tie now and I don't want AB to be lynched. He is not suspicious to me. Just inactive. Exodu5 I'm not highly suspicious of either but I can see good arguments out there. Wish I had time to go through the thread more but must put something out there in the next hour!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want 2 targets and I want everyone else to pick a side. There are too many people not caring about D1 and it's making it impossible to do anything

That said I have no objections to any of the targets bats mentioned

VOTE: *Splinter

Voting is information. Trying to force people to pick one of two options is reducing information. This is bad for town. You are bad for town.

Hyper you can spare me the lecture when you don't even have a vote out. I want to see scum fighting for their survival, you aren't contributing to that.

Inactives and frustrated players are always historically great at fighting for their survival

of the available options, I would say dusk, me, or WAMD are probably the best votes to "see scum fighting for their survival", although with 2 1/2 hours left, there's plenty of time to really start a vote on anyone

*Splinter

Voting is information. Trying to force people to pick one of two options is reducing information. This is bad for town. You are bad for town.
I'd agree if there weren't so inactives. We're down to the last 2 hours and this is the least productive D1 I've ever seen

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'd agree if there weren't so inactives. We're down to the last 2 hours and this is the least productive D1 I've ever seen

People can be active whilst still voting for a multiplicity of choices. This is a total non sequitur and gives me even less faith in you. Quite happy with this vote.

add splinter to the that list now

WAMD, dusk, me, splinter. Probably best 4 to vote for for reads

and hey, it only took one vote before a splinter lynch became a viable option.

that was easy

This has been a fairly productive day 1, what are you talking about?

Barring exceptions like Cthulhu and NX, or games where people try stupid gambits (and we spend the ENTIRE day just talking about something that only has say 3 outcomes), the post count is on par. the number of Inactives is on par, not even counting possible replacements

and in contrast to most day 1s, almost every player has been discussed pretty well

Catvoca

Banned
If we lynch AbsolutBro we're basically lynching the least active person in the game. He hasn't posted in 2 days and he's only posted about 10 times. He had his weird opening post with newbie tips that he was pretty defensive of, claiming that he posts something similar everygame, and the rest are mostly fluff or vaguely helpful town stuff like posting "where's crab". When I voted for him I said it was more of a pressure vote than anything else, since I was hoping he'd show up but it hasn't happend. Up to you guys if you want to lynch him for inactivity, I'm not against it.

*Splinter

Inactives and frustrated players are always historically great at fighting for their survival

of the available options, I would say dusk, me, or WAMD are probably the best votes to "see scum fighting for their survival", although with 2 1/2 hours left, there's plenty of time to really start a vote on anyone
I'm not even going to pretend to vote out any of the top contributors. That rules you out.

WAMD I don't trust, but she gives her opinion on EVERYTHING, if she's scum we'll get her easily. I also don't trust either of the people currently voting her.

Dusk I agree is a fine choice. Personally I won't be voting him though, I still think he's town.

I feel bad about how inactive I've been. Busier weekend than I suspected. But I didn't want to have the day end without voting-- not fair to not put myself out there.

I think no lunch has been sufficiently on the table to introduce tension to day 1-- people appear to be voting on suspicion rather than policy or inertia.

I see it's a tie now and I don't want AB to be lynched. He is not suspicious to me. Just inactive. Exodu5 I'm not highly suspicious of either but I can see good arguments out there. Wish I had time to go through the thread more but must put something out there in the next hour!

do you have the time to go through TheExpdu5's posts and decide? There shouldn't be too many

Timeaisis

Another excuse to why you are not contributing much to the game? Seems like you are trying to make excuses for your blendyness.

I know you don't have a lot of free time to post, but it seems like every one of the posts you have made this day has been an excuse as to why you aren't active.

*Splinter

I'm not talking about post count, I'm talking about pressure. We've had no band wagons, no serious attacks. No consensus on anything at any point.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not talking about post count, I'm talking about pressure. We've had no band wagons, no serious attacks. No consensus on anything at any point.

of course there's no consensus; we barely have any information. trying to force an unnatural consensus robs us off future information.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
*so many inactives

I don't understand your post

People can be active and there can still be no consensus.
People can be inactive and there can still be a consensus.

Whether or not there is a consensus is not related to activity. Trying to force a consensus or a one of two picks false dilemma will not induce activity. If you want to induce activity, make a post on why you want a *specific* choice. Try and persuade us. Don't bully us into one of two routes for no real reason - other than the fact you want to provide a plausible smokescreen for funneling choices away from scum.

*Splinter

Okipoke, thought experiment

Let's say we decide to lynch one of those nasty awful no-lynchers. That's completely justifiable, after all they are both nasty and awful. But which one do we pick?

Well let's assume one of them is Mafia. I think there's 5 or so of them, so at a blind chance one should be Mafia. So Mafia suggest one of the non-scum no lynchers and... that's it. There's no reason to pick one over any other, so we lynch the townie that mafia picked out for us. 100% of the time. And this lynch gets us literally nothing. They have no reads or opinions, they preferred a no lynch and that is the hill they died on. Wasted day. Literally wasted. Some other middle of the road schmuck dies in the night and we're on Day 2 with nothing.

And maybe none of them are even Mafia, in which case Mafia can get by on even less effort.

Either way, it's a losing move.
This is roughly my point. The field has been so open that we have literally no chance of hitting scum, and the only info we'd get out of most lynches is "who picked this lynch, and did they pick town on purpose?"

I'm not even going to pretend to vote out any of the top contributors. That rules you out.

WAMD I don't trust, but she gives her opinion on EVERYTHING, if she's scum we'll get her easily. I also don't trust either of the people currently voting her.

Dusk I agree is a fine choice. Personally I won't be voting him though, I still think he's town.

"Dusk I agree is a fine choice."

"I still think he's town"

Yeah, no, you're supposed to be voting AND getting people to go with your vote in mafia, if you think dusk is town then you should care that he isn't lynches

*Splinter, what does a thunder done between two towbies get us? And if you're voting for inactivity alone, what's the point of a thunder dome? "My inactive contributed 0.5 more useful posts than the other, I'm voting the other"

you seem to have just accepted absolut vs theexodu5 without necessarily caring of you thought either one was scum

was going to wait to actually look through your posts, but I'm gonna put out there now that there were a couple posts from you that made me suspect you were scum that thought I was a lost partner

cabot

VOTE TALLY:

wherearemahdragonz (2)
hyperactivity 205 (335)
catvoca 655 (703)
timetokill 656
tomakasatnav 910 (913)
tomakasatnav 913

mattyg (0)
batsnacks 222 (626)
ourobolus 245 (300)
ourobolus 624 (714)

hyperactivity (1)
kingkitty 224 (474)
dusk soldier 253 (641)
a human becoming 264
timeaisis 459 (678)
wherearemahdragonz 693 (1030)

batsnacks (1)
ourobolus 300 (417)
ourobolus 433 (490)
theexodu5 1050

ourobolus (2)
salvapot 327 (857)
hyperactivity 335 (360)
mattyg 644
salvapot 948

crab (0)
hyperactivity 360 (614)

theexodu5</b> (0)
barrylocke 377 (383)

wherearemahdragonz </b> (0)
barrylocke 383 (779)

stackpoleh (0)
ourobolus 417 (433)
timetokill 472 (656)

dusk soldier (2)
kingkitty 474
stackpoleh 557 (923)
batsnacks 733 (943)
timeaisis 869

timeaisis (0)
ourobolus 490 (624)
dusk soldier 641 (1035)

theexodu5 (5)
batsnacks 626 (682)
timeaisis 692 (869)
barrylocke 813 (815)
barrylocke 815
*splinter 1054
wherearemahdragonz 1055
kyanrute 1057
stackpoleh 1068

salvapot (1)
*splinter 650 (835)
euphemism 654

kyanrute (1)
nin1000 653

theexodo5 (0)
timeaisis 678 (692)

euphemism (0)
batsnacks 682 (733)

catvoca (0)
ourobolus 714 (716)

timetokill (0)
ourobolus 716 (864)
hyperactivity 994 (1000)

no lynch (1)
theexodu5 828 (1050)
salvapot 857 (948)
retroid 858

tomakasatnav (0)
*splinter 835 (1054)

retroid (1)
ourobolus 864
kyanrute 877 (1057)

absolutbro (3)
catvoca 1018
dusk soldier 1035
crab 1046 (1069)
batsnacks 1053

*splinter (2)
crab 1069
hyperactivity 1085

You'll forgive me if I haven't fixed the errors. The alcohol has hit.

*Splinter

People can be active and there can still be no consensus.
People can be inactive and there can still be a consensus.

Whether or not there is a consensus is not related to activity. Trying to force a consensus or a one of two picks false dilemma will not induce activity. If you want to induce activity, make a post on why you want a *specific* choice. Try and persuade us. Don't bully us into one of two routes for no real reason - other than the fact you want to provide a plausible smokescreen for funneling choices away from scum.
I tried that. Noone strongly disagreed and noone voted. If perhaps few townies had pretended to be on board for a while, perhaps we could have spun it into something useful. But no, back to square one with nothing gained.

False thunderdome is my plan b.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is roughly my point. The field has been so open that we have literally no chance of hitting scum, and the only info we'd get out of most lynches is "who picked this lynch, and did they pick town on purpose?"

Narrowing the field of choices doesn't increase our chance of hitting scum unless the narrowed field is more likely to contain scum than the original field. If you think you can argue persuasively for a narrowed field that fulfills that condition, please, be my guest, explain your case. If not, it doesn't alter the chances at all, and we retain more information through the diversity of votes.

*Splinter

"Dusk I agree is a fine choice."

"I still think he's town"

Yeah, no, you're supposed to be voting AND getting people to go with your vote in mafia, if you think dusk is town then you should care that he isn't lynches

*Splinter, what does a thunder done between two towbies get us? And if you're voting for inactivity alone, what's the point of a thunder dome? "My inactive contributed 0.5 more useful posts than the other, I'm voting the other"

you seem to have just accepted absolut vs theexodu5 without necessarily caring of you thought either one was scum

was going to wait to actually look through your posts, but I'm gonna put out there now that there were a couple posts from you that made me suspect you were scum that thought I was a lost partner
I think he's town so I won't vote for him. But how the fuck do I know what he really is?

Lots of people have talked about Dusk, most attacking and a couple defending. Thats interesting if he flips scum. He's also around to defend himself, which I agree is a problem with going for the inactives.

He's a good lynch candidate based on those factors, but not one that I would be voting for.

I think he's town so I won't vote for him. But how the fuck do I know what he really is?

Lots of people have talked about Dusk, most attacking and a couple defending. Thats interesting if he flips scum. He's also around to defend himself, which I agree is a problem with going for the inactives.

He's a good lynch candidate based on those factors, but not one that I would be voting for.

so you're null reading him? because town reading means you think the person is town, and therefore lynching them would just be a stupid situation where either a mislynch occurs or a or reveals

*Splinter

Narrowing the field of choices doesn't increase our chance of hitting scum unless the narrowed field is more likely to contain scum than the original field. If you think you can argue persuasively for a narrowed field that fulfills that condition, please, be my guest, explain your case. If not, it doesn't alter the chances at all, and we retain more information through the diversity of votes.
If we picked 2 townies then yeah it's a waste, but I believe it's no more or less of a waste than what we were doing before.

If we picked a scum in those 2 then it's potentially huge for us down the line.

It's high risk, high reward, won't try and deny that.

And I don't want to make arguments for other people to sheep. I have so many blanks and I don't need info on myself. That's selfish but IDGAF, I've provided plenty of material for people to analyse today.

strangest thing about TheExodu5 votes are, asides from forming a bandwagon so suddenly (despite no one voting for him earlier iirc), that some of the posters haven't really justified him from other inactive no lynches. It feels like some of you guys saw that people were town reading Retroid based on past behavior, and decided

If you're actively not trying to be part of the solution, you're part of the problem. That's not town behavior.

Vote: TheExodu5

Yes, because scum never tries to blend and make safe posts, right.... Nice one liner though.

I don't want voting for someone who might just be stubborn/frustrated townie because they don't contribute as much. I want voting for people you think are SCUM. Do you think all the inactoves or no lynch voters are SCUM?

I voted Exodu5 because he has been scummy from the beginning and I've had suspicions ever since the game started. His posts don't have much meat in them which can also apply to Absolut, but the difference between him and Absolut is their behavior. His last post kind of sealed the deal for me; he's intentionally removed from the discussion which does not make sense. Of course, Absolut could be doing the same thing, but we don't know for sure. It's kind of a gut read in general but id rather take my chances on someone with evidence to suggest they're scum as opposed to someone who has only given me bad vibes.

his last post was him re-entering the discussion, or did you not read the part about him not being willing to just let himself get bandwagonned

Why are you so important that multiple scum would try to lynch you on D1, Exodu5?

VOTE: TheExodu5

what, and scum doesn't have tihe easiest time ever voting for an inactive? Especially one, that up until that post, seemed like they weren't going to do much to defend themselves

Vote: AbsolutBro

am happy to consolidate onto TheExodu5 and MattyG.

already posted why your "choices" were bullshit

If Retroid is not happening, my alternatives would be Exodu5, AbsolutBro and MattyG, in that order.

VOTE: TheExodu5

asides from this seemingly being a bandwagon vote, I need to see if you had made specific reasons before hand

Gonna give you the hour to go through both of their posts, as I said, but this is just a classic case of an inactive arriving to the thread late and wanting to make a meaningful vote. And because of this excuse, I get nothing to look into out of it

*Splinter

Crab you caught up on the thread, right?

Do you think this was a reasonable day 1, or that we had any chance of hitting scum, before my intervention? Yes or no.

do you have the time to go through TheExpdu5's posts and decide? There shouldn't be too many

Ugh. I did as you suggested, and now I don't think TheExodu5 is mafia either. I actually agree with a lot of his opinions. And his low activity level is something players on any side can have. Plus, pretty hypocritical of me to vote based on low activity.

I wanted to be useful by voting where it might matter, but I now think either Exodu5 or AbsolutBro would be a mislynch.

vote: timetokill

As I said earlier, he's someone whom I actually do find suspicious. I thought his strong focus on the no-lynchers, to the point of suspecting even those who defended them, was too much for day one. Also, I didn't like this post:

This seems like such a scummy team post.

If Retroid ends up flipping scum, this post would be a huge warning flag. First you're trying to excuse his behavior, then you're "kinda" distancing yourself, then throwing out a reason why he wouldn't be scum and to ignore him.

Right now I actually don't think Retroid is scum, and this all hinges on him flipping that way I guess, but if he does flip scum I'm gonna be really suspicious. Anyway now I have to rethink some things and reread some shit.

He doesn't think Retroid is scum, but he thinks it's suspicious for someone else to say they don't think Retroid is scum?

Those are just my thoughts right now-- could change over the course of the next day, and they probably will, given that I doubt timetokill will get traction now.

I have a day 1 town read on him. Do I need to explain how much that is worth?

if you think he's town, you're arguing against his lynch, if you cared about the result

it being day 1 doesn't make a difference. You seem to just want this lynch to be over with rather than make the best attempt at an accurate result

Note, I cut out the middle paragraph of the post I quoted, but forgot to leave ellipses or something. Didn't mean to be sneaky about that. Full post I cut:

This seems like such a scummy team post.

If Retroid ends up flipping scum, this post would be a huge warning flag. First you're trying to excuse his behavior, then you're "kinda" distancing yourself, then throwing out a reason why he wouldn't be scum and to ignore him.

Meanwhile I feel like there has to be at least one scum behind the no lynch crew and you're also making excuses for them.

Right now I actually don't think Retroid is scum, and this all hinges on him flipping that way I guess, but if he does flip scum I'm gonna be really suspicious. Anyway now I have to rethink some things and reread some shit.

Kyanrute

I have voiced my suspicions about Exodu5 before in the top 3 list so it is not coming out of the blue. He is a no lyncher who has provided very little in terms of content. He has a dismissive attitude towards the day and its proceedings, which does not benefit town at all. He also did a bit of a disappearing act with the other no lynchers such as Retroid, where they voted no lynch and considered the day done. He now made his appearance again and provided nothing. Lots of time spent lamenting over how shitty day one is, no time spent trying to change that fact.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab you caught up on the thread, right?

Do you think this was a reasonable day 1, or that we had any chance of hitting scum, before my intervention? Yes or no.

Yes. It's been a pretty average day 1; our chances of hitting scum were probably marginally better than random which is the best you can ask for from day 1.

Top Bottom