• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

How is it possible to gather 2 of every animal, keep them on a boat big enough for all of them, and their food, for 40 days, without eating each other or getting sick and dying? How to then redistribute across the globe and repopulate the earth?

Answer to these questions, invariably, is "the power of God."

To which I say, "Then what do you need a fucking boat for?"
giphy.gif

How is it possible to gather 2 of every animal, keep them on a boat big enough for all of them, and their food, for 40 days, without eating each other or getting sick and dying? How to then redistribute across the globe and repopulate the earth?

The answer is just "God works in mysterious ways." AKA I don't know just believe it anyways.

Or else it's a metaphor. For what, I'm not sure.

I have no qualms with free citizens do with their money. They can use it to build a giant ark or use it to install a giant Dildo in a public park. Free country y'all. The tax break thing is a little tricky however.

As a mostly non-religious person, gaf's boner to pile on religious folks is always a bit embarrassing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I have no qualms with free citizens do with their money. They can use it to build a giant ark or use it to install a giant Dildo in a public park. Free country y'all. The tax break thing is a little tricky however.

As a mostly non-religious person, gaf's boner to pile on religious folks is always a bit embarrassing.
Not as embarrassing as grown men and women sincerely believing in the literal story of the flood and worse, spending millions on a "replica". Because holy shit that's grown-ups-believing-in-Santa levels of embarrassing.

Breads

Banned

Is this a trick question?

Because although most Christians believe this the bible has more to say about how many animals were taken aboard and how long they on the water.

It does give some specific numbers... but that little tidbit is only reserved for people who actually read it :)

40 days and 40 nights is an expression. Not a literal count. It rained for "40 days and 40 nights", the water covered the entire earth for 150 days, for months the waters started receding, "40 days" after the tops of mountains were seen Noah sent a raven and a dove out in search, later he found earth but it was not yet firm, almost 2 months later he found good dry land... the total time being over a year.

Genesis 7:12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.
Genesis 7:24 The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.
Genesis 8:5 The waters continued to recede until the tenth month, and on the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.

Genesis 8:13 Noah was now 601 years old. On the first day of the new year, ten and a half months after the flood began, the floodwaters had almost dried up from the earth. Noah lifted back the covering of the boat and saw that the surface of the ground was drying.

By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth was completely dry.

As for how many animals...

Genesis 6:19

You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you.

Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.

but almost immediately after god said...

Genesis 7:1

The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,

and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

Not as embarrassing as grown men and women sincerely believing in the literal story of the flood and worse, spending millions on a "replica". Because holy shit that's grown-ups-believing-in-Santa levels of embarrassing.

You say that on a forum dedicated to a billion dollar industry dealing with imagination run wild. How's it any different than grown men spending millions on imaginary games, comics or even superhero movies ? It's not really about if it happened or it didn't. If people care enough about something or gives them joy or peace, good for them. Live and let live. The issues start when people's ideas start effecting the freedoms afforded to other people.

I will say though that anyone here wishing godly punishment on anyone else is a fucking moron.

Breads

Banned
You say that on a forum dedicated to a billion dollar industry dealing with imagination run wild. How's it any different than grown men spending millions on imaginary games, comics or even superhero movies ? It's not really about if it happened or it didn't. If people care enough about something or gives them joy or peace, good for them. Live and let live. The issues start when people's ideas start effecting the freedoms afforded to other people.

I will say though that anyone here wishing godly punishment on anyone else is a fucking moron.

We don't believe videogames are real nor do we attempt to use our beliefs in videogames to create tax-free for profit organizations nor do we use videogame lore as justification to oppress people we don't agree with and deny science and education en masse because it makes the delusion feel more real.

That's the fucking difference.

Razmos

We don't believe videogames are real nor do we attempt to use our beliefs in videogames to create tax-free for profit organizations nor do we use videogame lore as justification to oppress people we don't agree with and deny science and education en masse because it makes the delusion feel more real.

Well said.
It's all well and good to say "people can believe what they want to believe!" But then to ignore the harm that these people do to others to further their own agenda.

Like a bill was just passed in Texas to allow adoption agencies to discriminate on religious grounds. Kids are going to lose out on the opportunity for a better life and left to suffer in the system because some fucking religious pricks believe that their ridiculous religion is more important than the health and happiness of other human beings.

And that extends far beyond kids up for adoption, from gay people to woman these people won't stop until they've made a utopia for them and them alone. And these people are in power and are using their biases to make law.

Comparing fans of video games to religious zealots is fucking crazy and awful.

Who is "We" ? I have been on Gaf and internet for that matter long enough to see that a lot of people can take their entertainment very seriously(not saying it has reached religion level of devotion and commitment). Gamegate is not a distant memory.

There's a case to be made about tax breaks but the courts already decided the outcome. If someone doesn't agree with it, they should go to supreme court.

All those other things i.e. oppression, anti-science or delusion, none of these things are being discussed here nor did my post said anything about them. Your other issues with religion, however justifiable they might be, have nothing to do with the topic on hand.

This is basically a christian based theme park, for christians. To me, Its like extension of a church. A much better example would be the grand mosques in Saudi Arabia that serve as mosques, as well as pilgrimage and historical sites. Christians paid for this, Christians will visit this, it doesn't effect Gaf in the least nor are we the target demographic for this. The six page commentary on how it's all very stupid isn't any different than creating a thread how video games are stupid and we are wasting our money on it.

The whole point of the argument was, let people do what they want if it makes them happy, even if its self destructive and stupid. Let them exercise their freedoms as long as it doesn't infringe on your freedoms.

Dalek

TIFA IS REAL AND SHE LOVES ME!!!

193129082d46c5ecdb9fd1cf42632ba28752019bcb663b0c02b88a1b2f4e3d44.jpg

Real talk though-it must have stunk on that arc with all those animals trapped on there. My house reeks with two kittens.

Who is "We" ? I have been on Gaf and internet for that matter long enough to see that a lot of people can take their entertainment very seriously(not saying it has reached religion level of devotion and commitment). Gamegate is not a distant memory.

There's a case to be made about tax breaks but the courts already decided the outcome. If someone doesn't agree with it, they should go to supreme court.

All those other things i.e. oppression, anti-science or delusion, none of these things are being discussed here nor did my post said anything about them. Your other issues with religion, however justifiable they might be, have nothing to do with the topic on hand.

This is basically a christian based theme park, for christians. To me, Its like extension of a church. A much better example would be the grand mosques in Saudi Arabia that serve as mosques, as well as pilgrimage and historical sites. Christians paid for this, Christians will visit this, it doesn't effect Gaf in the least nor are we the target demographic for this. The six page commentary on how it's all very stupid isn't any different than creating a thread how video games are stupid and we are wasting our money on it.

This is a taxpayer funded circle jerk that encourages its paying visitors to disregard science and to its "logical" conclusion disregard climate change as well. This more than affects the rest of us when we have to live with these misinformed mutants.

Breads

Banned

The whole point of the argument was, let people do what they want if it makes them happy, even if its self destructive and stupid.

I don't think this was your intention but you did indeed basically compare mental illness with religion in saying that first bit about "we".

Way to handwave the rest though. And in a topic about religion you brought up videogames and then tell me my gripes with religion are invalid. Not even going to bother with you. Have a good day sir/ ma'am.

Not

Banned
Hey, if he can create starlight in transit 6000 years ago to trick us, burying some dinosaur bones is child's play.

Oh my God I remember reading this in a Christian apologetics book and I just had to consciously ignore it in order to not drop my faith then and there.

Lucreto

Genesis 8:5 The waters continued to recede until the tenth month, and on the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.

Forget about the lack of food to feed animals for a year the lack of air being so high up would be more concerning.

Not

Banned
It's simple, God altered the laws of physics so all of this would be possible which is pretty easy when this is all just a computer simulation. Probably only had to change a few sextillion lines of 86th dimensional hyperjava.

Out of all the religions to be upheld as the "world religion" why the fuck did it have to be Christianity? Worst creation mythos ever, atleast Greeks and Norse had some imagination. Not to mention the Egyptians and the Chinese. Fuck this giant boat shit.

takriel

Sometimes I feel really stupid, but then I read stories like these and am reminded that there are far more stupid people in this world.

Well, it is a park effectively celebrating God's act of drowning every man, woman, child, and baby on the planet except for Noah's family for "reasons".

The story is founded in a genocidal act and results in incest, so...

Oh yeah, I am not debating the truth of the statement.
The fact that it is technically true is what had me laughing pretty hard.

That said, it's still a pretty fucked up way to label the park! haha.

Yeoman

Out of all the religions to be upheld as the "world religion" why the fuck did it have to be Christianity? Worst creation mythos ever, atleast Greeks and Norse had some imagination. Not to mention the Egyptians and the Chinese. Fuck this giant boat shit.
The Bible's creation myth (and many of its other stories) are generally dumbed down versions of older myths and stories from around the region.
The flood story for example is a straight rip-off of: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atra-Hasis
The birth of Moses is basically Sargon of Akkad's origin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sargon_of_Akkad

The original versions are generally much cooler.

Irminsul

Forget about the lack of food to feed animals for a year the lack of air being so high up would be more concerning.
Actually I don't think that would be a problem, because if the water rises, you're still at sea level, thus air pressure remains the same.

The better question is where the water is coming from and where it's going afterwards.

Bowler

I wonder what this thread would be if it was a different religion using tax payer grants to make a religious theme park?

highrider

Banned

I agree, but it seems many are not content to have it be just their beliefs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Actually I don't think that would be a problem, because if the water rises, you're still at sea level, thus air pressure remains the same.

The better question is where the water is coming from and where it's going afterwards.

I actually believe that it wouldn't be the thin air that would kill you but the fact that if the Earth was covered in enough water to submerge even the highest mountain peaks that the air would be basically be unbreathable do to how saturated with water it is. You'd drown above water.

tuxfool

Banned
I wonder what this thread would be if it was a different religion using tax payer grants to make a religious theme park?

The same?

Not sure what is being implied here? Insular americans like to jerk off to the idea that christianity is under attack?

Life and humanity is such a circus. How can you not be bemused and simultaneously entertained by the absurdity of life and our species.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the same, except hardcore Chrisitian conservatives (let's be honest here, it would mainly be evangelicals) would come in and balk at the idea in addition to everyone else laughing at how dumb it is.

FyreWulff

young earth creationism (what ken ham is pushing) isn't even popular in christianity as a whole. it's only accepted by hardliners.

Not

Banned
Sometimes I feel really stupid, but then I read stories like these and am reminded that there are far more stupid people in this world.

Some of them aren't stupid. Like, the ones who have unbearably shitty lives and this is their only recourse.

The people who are well off and privileged and influential though and are still too scared to accept that life can be uncertain can bite me

You mean like one of the ones that doesn't have the overwhelming majority of power in America?

andymcc

Banned

People complain about theocracies all of the time on here. Look at any Saudi thread.

As someone from eastern Kentucky, the poorest part of the state, it pains me to see the state give to some project like this money when it's the same state that killed its insurance exchange, has some of the objectively worse infrastructure in the county, miserable public schools and a drug epidemic that's killing like the outbreak of a disease.

We have a current governor who advocates prayer circles to stop gun violence.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...the-power-of-prayer-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

The theocratic bullshit is part of the problem. It's merely a difference of religious views when it starts to impact people the way it does.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You say that on a forum dedicated to a billion dollar industry dealing with imagination run wild. How's it any different than grown men spending millions on imaginary games, comics or even superhero movies ?
Are you serious? How is it any different? It's completely different in every way. Wow.

Comparing hobby/enthusiasts with spending millions on idiotic and harmful ideologies. Yeah, what the fuck dude.

All those other things i.e. oppression, anti-science or delusion, none of these things are being discussed here
...Yeah they are? This thing is as anti-science and delusional as it gets.

The whole point of the argument was, let people do what they want if it makes them happy, even if its self destructive and stupid. Let them exercise their freedoms as long as it doesn't infringe on your freedoms.
These people vote, and their poorly educated kids will one day vote, and some of them even hold government office. So no, it's not harmless. And even if it were, it's still really fucking stupid and there's nothing wrong in pointing and laughing at them. Any grown adult who sincerely believes the Earth is literally a few thousands of years old deserves ridicule as much as if they believed in Santa Claus.

Sometime far far in the future, some guys going to be on stage at a space debate broadcast to a hundred worlds. Arguing that not everyone from our time was stupid. He'll have diagrams, books, and videos all as proof. At the crowning moment, when all the people's of all the different earths are nearly convinced, the asshole he's debating is going to hold up a picture of this fucking thing for everyone to see. In that moment we will forever be remembered as an age of idiots and all of us who weren't will be forgotten.

That's pretty optimistic. I'd love to believe that someday, this age will be ridiculed because the world is populated by sensible people.

But I think it's more likely that, in that distant future, this stupid replica will be dug up and hailed as proof that the Noah story is real.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I actually believe that it wouldn't be the thin air that would kill you but the fact that if the Earth was covered in enough water to submerge even the highest mountain peaks that the air would be basically be unbreathable do to how saturated with water it is. You'd drown above water.

You're saying that the water vapor would replace all the available oxygen? Is that right? That sounds odd.

Kthulhu

That's pretty optimistic. I'd love to believe that someday, this age will be ridiculed because the world is populated by sensible people.

But I think it's more likely that, in that distant future, this stupid replica will be dug up and hailed as proof that the Noah story is real.

Wood would've probably rotted away by then. Assuming this thing doesn't get torn down.

Lyng

waste of space, time and money.

wait.. why were they on the Ark then?

That's bullshit. Equating Christianity with fundamentalist creationists is as stupid as thinking all muslims believe jihad is actual war.

I am a Christian and I believe the earth and animals/dinosaurs have lived for millions of years if not longer. No where in genesis does it say the earth was created in six literal days it also says nothing about the process of creation. This is explained by later parts of the Bible that explain that to God thousands of years is like a single day.
The fundamentalist creationist idea of six literal days is not only stupid but also unfounded in the Bible.

andymcc

Banned
That's bullshit. Equating Christianity with fundamentalist creationists is as stupid as thinking all muslims believe jihad is actual war.

I am a Christian and I believe the earth and animals/dinosaurs have lived for millions of years if not longer. No where in genesis does it say the earth was created in six literal days it also says nothing about the process of creation. This is explained by later parts of the Bible that explain that to God thousands of years is like a single day.
The fundamentalist creationist idea of six literal days is not only stupid but also unfounded in the Bible.
It's the founding ideology of this place.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It does give some specific numbers... but that little tidbit is only reserved for people who actually read it :)

Like most things in the bible. i mean, just look at something straightforward like the 10 Commandments. The ones that are in front of courthouses are not the ones that made the final draft to be placed in the Ark of the Covenant.

:( I didn't even think of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom