• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
i tried to create a hot wife from a rib, talk to my pet snake and ate an apple. now i'm just lonely and mildly hungry

NH Apache

Banned
Wave bulb ? Stabilizater fins ? huuuuuum.... My naval architecture history knowledge just got wrecked by design

Yeah, fun fact: Bulbous bows are only useful when you have forward speed. The Ark has no propulsion.

And that thing would snap like a twig in any sea, even more likely in lightship no wave condition. That thing isn't longitudinally framed or even transversely framed; it has no frames.

Designed by an architect, not an engineer (no offense to Gaf Architects). I would seriously be worried about the sail area even up on blocks. 50 knot wind and that bitch will be moving.

Measley

The water for the flood had to come from somewhere. Their habitat got emptied.

According to the story the flood was caused by rain water.

Also the Bible doesn't talk about any sea animals getting wiped out (probably because the Middle Eastern authors of the Bible weren't too knowledgable about the open sea).

Platy

I'm sure it was build by Jesus

And Jose, and Armando and Juan. Probably some Betos and Toños too.

LOL

But the article said it was build according to Bible's specifications !

And the bible SPECIFICALY said it was build by Noah !

Dennis

Banned
yxrzuktbekm4xdenpffa.jpg

That dino is super cute though, no lie.

I kinda want one of those for my living room.

Volimar

Are you even allowed to leave your cultlike echochamber?

My mother's step mom was a jehovas witness and back then she wouldn't be allowed to mingle on here by her peers.

Do they know you're on here?

My grandmother was a Witness most of her life, and I was partially raised in it. I've never heard anything this severe about JWs. Though there are different levels of orthodoxy. There are two kingdom halls in my home town. One is fairly relaxed (for JWs) and the other is strict as hell parents from Footloose types. But I've never heard of them telling people not to "mingle" amongst others. In fact, the opposite is true. JWs are encouraged to be around other faiths, even when not proselytizing. You never know when the opportunity to convert someone will come up.

Cool. Have an ETA on that? To cancel my internet sub and block all payments i still have.

They've picked a few dates, but ehh....

According to the story the flood was caused by rain water.

Also the Bible doesn't talk about any sea animals getting wiped out (probably because the Middle Eastern authors of the Bible weren't too knowledgable about the open sea).

Actually, in Genesis 8:2 "The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained" So the water supposedly came from the ground up and from the "firmament" down.

And, yes, I agree I know way too much about this stuff.

Measley

Yes they certainly can be. Some even have happy marriages with children and jobs they love!!!!

Have you ever actually interacted with a religious person in your life?

Doesn't mean that they're "mentally well adjusted". Anyone can be "happy" inside their bubble.

And yes, I've interacted with religious people. It's not an experience that I particularly enjoy.

Brakke

Banned
It's cost 100million to make this replica but somehow Noah was able to make it back then with limited resources....

Come one guys, people seriously believe this interpretation of the story?

It probably only cost Noah like fourteen cents. Several thousand years of inflation really adds up.

Ahasverus

Just curious, but what is it about Christianity that seems to just make OTGAF just seethe in rage?
Spreading of ignorance and denying of the scientific knowledge. Also, they are in positions in power so they tend to fuck over the non believers repeteadly.

I am not religious by any means... but I do find it rather funny how many people trash people or talk shit about a person's views.
If these people want to build the ark or have services there... who really gives a fuck? Why bash them or make fun of them for their beliefs?

Religion and religious views are not above criticism.

Just curious, but what is it about Christianity that seems to just make OTGAF just seethe in rage?

What is it about Christianity that makes you believe ALL Christians must be Young Earthers?

Also you do realize the flood stuff is OT and would apply to Jews and Muslims as well, right?

But again, not all of them are Young Earth.

Mahonay

Banned
You think someone who blindly ignores science, facts, and common sense is "mentally well adjusted"?

Yes they certainly can be. Some even have happy marriages with children and jobs they love!!!!

Have you ever actually interacted with a religious person in your life?
I've met creationist before, people who believe the earth is only 5 to 10,000 years old, and sure they might be a perfectly affable person, but I've always found they just don't quite reside on the same plane of existence as I do.

Often they don't quite understand the facts that support the science they are arguing against. The last time the guy I had a conversation with, he constantly pointed to how popular science believes the Earth is 1 million years old, when it's actually ten thousand years old since God created all things at once, including the fossils in the ground.

Most people that are open to the idea of science know that the planet is billions of years old. Like, these aren't minor details.

Young earth creationism is not your average modern Christianity. It's in the minority, and for a good reason. Because it's fucking ridiculous.

I would actually like to go to this, it's giant wooden like vessel made in the 21st century. Also I want to count all the giant plastic dinosaurs they had made for the event, there better a god damn full replica of a Trex somewhere in there!

Hazmat

I remember a speaker at my church youth group that insisted that there dinosaurs on Noah's ark. Noah's ark was a real thing and it had dinosaurs on it. I also remember the point when things crossed a line and I couldn't forgive my parents for sending me to that youth group.

Shouldn't it be blasphemy to build this using anything but the kind of materials God specified in Genesis and according to a reasonable estimation of what God's blueprints would have been?

Shouldn't they have been able to argue that God is the Authority Having Jurisdiction so they wouldn't have to install all that ugly sprinkler piping?

LosDaddie

Banned

It's the dominant religion in their countries.
I'd wager that Islam would also be just as vilified if it weren't the GOP's go-to punching bag, and/or more dominant in their countries.

Prototype

Wouldn't even the most uneducated person understand that the ship is far to small to fit all the animals on it? Not counting their food and various other supplies.

Smh

I've met creationist before, people who believe the earth is only 5 to 10,000 years old, and sure they might be a perfectly affable person, but I've always found they just don't quite reside on the same plane of existence as I do.

Often they don't quite understand the facts that support the science they are arguing against. The last time the guy I had a conversation with, he constantly pointed to how popular science believes the Earth is 1 million years old, when it's actually ten thousand years old since God created all things at once, including the fossils in the ground.

Most people that are open to the idea of science know that the planet is billions of years old. Like, these aren't minor details.

See I don't actually have too much of a problem with this. A world that is very old is functionally no different from a world that is actually very young with all the evidence in place to make it seem as if it is very old. Feels like semantics at that point.

Like, I play Dwarf Fortress. When I start a new game, I simulate the world for 1000 years, letting rivers run down from the mountains, civilizations rise and fall, history being established. Takes me very little time at all, but to creatures living in that world, to them it would seem much older.

Mahonay

Banned
See I don't actually have too much of a problem with this. A world that is very old is functionally no different from a world that is actually very young with all the evidence in place to make it seem as if it is very old. Feels like semantics at that point.

Like, I play Dwarf Fortress. When I start a new game, I simulate the world for 1000 years, letting rivers run down from the mountains, civilizations rise and fall, history being established. Takes me very little time at all, but to creatures living in that world, to them it would seem much older.
Hah ummmm I wouldn't just sum that up to "semantics", they are very VERY different ideas (one says the earth sprang into existence thousands of years ago, the other closely follows the Earth's history over 4.5 billion years), but I see what you are getting at.

Bad Trip

Banned
I'm not sure if I can be convinced that there's people that actually believe an old man and his family built a large boat , then proceeded to round up and catch an almost endless number of species and then return them to where they originally captured them after the flood was "over"? That simplified premise alone raises so many fucking questions as to how any of that could conceivably happen that I don't know if people really believe this happened .

Co-worker of mine has a brother who lives near there. She visited him this past holiday weekend, and this Ark came up. She told us about it this morning, how the locals (obviously not the creationist locals) call it "The Embarrassment."

Lucreto

lbfmfy9liowkc7eiow7g.jpg

I might be completely against everything it stands for but you got to admit it looks amazing. I couldn't image the size of it in real life but it's good to see the actual size of the boat in the myth.

It's a complete waste of tax payers money though.

Mahonay

Banned
lbfmfy9liowkc7eiow7g.jpg

I might be completely against everything it stands for but you got to admit it looks amazing. I couldn't image the size of it in real life but it's good to see the actual size of the boat in the myth.
That's the main point of building these things. To awe people into believing or at least continue to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom