• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jal

sFkuEai.jpg

I'm a jerk for being concerned that a ridiculous monument to absolute ignorance is getting a huge tax break? Or that this is being presented as truth to young children? Alright then.
I know plenty of religious people that are not willfully ignorant. You can have faith, while being intelligent about accepted facts and science at the same time.

My point is.. just because they have different views doesn't make them ignorant no matter how odd the idea may seem.

Lucreto

That's the main point of building these things. To awe people into believing or at least continue to believe.

To me it confirms it is all nonsense. Getting a actual visual scale of the thing shows that there is no way it can store 40 days of food and hold 2 of every animal and not sink with the weight.

Platy

To me it confirms it is all nonsense. Getting a actual visual scale of the thing shows that there is no way it can store 40 days of food and hold 2 of every animal and not sink with the weight.

And YET, it is big enoght to be build by just one person

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The full-sized ark, built according to the dimensions stated in the Bible, measures 510 feet long, 85 feet wide, and 51 feet high. The interior features several exhibits, including displays of Noah’s family, rows of cages containing animal replicas, and even the odd dinosaur. (Answers in Genesis, like many fundamentalist Christians, believe that dinosaurs existed 6,000 years ago but were wiped out in the Great Flood.)

Posting the obligatory:

Dinosaurs attacked Noah's Ark (during an epic Angel battle)

destroytheark.gif

My point is.. just because they have different views doesn't make them ignorant no matter how odd the idea may seem.

That's not how that works. If their views are based off of lack of knowledge, than they are indeed ignorant. They would not hold these absurd views if they were not ignorant due to their religion.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wasn't on GAF when you posted the original thread.

Thank you for this.

The hilarious part is that it’s true, all of it, I still own the book to this day. I even peruse it from time to time when I need a good hearty chuckle!

It's a cool roadside attraction in the same way that a giant statute of Paul Bunyan is. But I'm Catholic so I'm not invested in a literal interpretation of the bible. Whether or not the ark is real is irrelevant to the point of the story.

As a Jehovah's witnesses and pretty hard core gamer that thinks gag is the best gaming forum there is I smirk when people seethe when some biblical comes up .Satan really has people in a daze.. well on to armaggeddon.

But...

As a Jehovah's witnesses

and pretty hard core gamer

Those two are incompatible.

that thinks gag is the best gaming forum

You couldn't even spell GAF right.

Bad Trip

Banned
Now if only we could get some group in Colorado to build an Ark of weed, two if every strain . I'd be there day one

mcrommert

Banned
The pope doesn't agree with you.

Not really "up" on Catholicism are you

Despite my dislike of young earth creationism i don't really see the problem with this...belief in creationism or the age of the earth doesn't actually hurt anyone unlike anti-vaxers and anti-gmo causes which one could argue is actually akin to murder.

Also that huge ship looks like a fun trip for kids

Not really "up" on Catholicism are you

Despite my dislike of young earth creationism i don't really see the problem with this...belief in creationism or the age of the earth doesn't actually hurt anyone unlike anti-vaxers and anti-gmo causes which one could argue is actually akin to murder.

Also that huge ship looks like a fun trip for kids

Why do beliefs need to cause harm in order to be criticized?

I was raised Catholic along with the teachings of the Old Testament and not once did anyone ever told us that the earth was 6000 years old and that the book of Genisis should be taken literally. Quite the contrary. Catholic teachings say Noah's Ark happened and its existence does not mean the earth isn't billions of years old. In my Catholic school we had science as a subject complete with evolution teachings and global warming.

I swear I didn't even heard about modern flat earthers and creationists until I was in college and only as a "crazy Americans" kind of story.

Say what you want about religion but not even every Christian denomination believes his Creationist bullshit.

I wonder if this is more of an almost exclusively American thing. I don't see this conversation happening in Canada, Europe or Latin America at all.

Platy

I wonder if this is more of an almost exclusively American thing. I don't see this conversation happening in Canada, Europe or Latin America at all.

There is a small minority of creatinists here in Brazil but it is mostly related to the ridiculous amount of religious people we at at political parties.

And yet it is NOWHERE near "creationist theme park" level

The problem is, it's textually difficult to not believe in a verbal plenary, literal interpretation of the Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16 (All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:). The Bible is pretty clear on things that are presented allegorically and things that are not.
The Christian bible and the Catholic bible have some small but significant differences. As a kid who went to catholic school all through high school I can 100% confirm we were never told to take the bible verbatim word for word literally. Otherwise reading the book of the Apocalypse could make a man go mad.

I knew from an early age Adam and Eve were a story made up to explain creation, not to be taken as a history class. And shit like evolution or global warming was never even for a second doubted.

And yes. The Catholic Pope would disagree with you.

I was raised Catholic along with the teachings of the Old Testament and not once did anyone ever told us that the earth was 6000 years old and that the book of Genisis should be taken literally. Quite the contrary. Catholic teachings say Noah's Ark happened and its existence does not mean the earth isn't billions of years old. In my Catholic school we had science as a subject complete with evolution teachings and global warming.

I swear I didn't even heard about modern flat earthers and creationists until I was in college and only as a "crazy Americans" kind of story.

Say what you want about religion but not even every Christian denomination believes his Creationist bullshit.

It's pretty much an American thing. Although the guy who started the original museum is Australian.

Mugsy

I was just thinking about that, aren't there natural limits on the size of a ship you can build out of wood and still be seaworthy? Waves, pressure on the hull, and the pressure from actually turning a ship like this wouldn't that destroy it?

I know with dinosaurs on the ship there are probably bigger issues but still.

Platy

There is a small minority of creatinists here in Brazil but it is mostly related to the ridiculous amount of religious people we at at political parties.

And yet it is NOWHERE near "creationist theme park" level

...actualy thinking about this church ....

fI9ztJH.jpg

MAYBE we are on "theme park" levels =P

Fusebox

Banned
Just in time for the floody, floody. Gotta build that arcy arc before we all get muddy, muddy!

Lol fucking numpties.

Where's the bit where we see Noah stroking his cock?

daveo42

Banned
Looking at some of the pictures, it is quite impressive for its scale, but it being tax exempt and it helps perpetuate incorrect information regarding the history of the Earth makes me sad. Speaking of, the biggest issue I raise as a former Christian about young earthers is why god would create the entire universe to follow a set of rules that from observation should give you validaion of a creator, only to throw it away on the speed of light and their distance relative to our own planet. Faith I guess? Even though it pretty much breaks both the laws governed by its creator and invalidates the whole bit about being able to know there was a god based on what you see in nature.

I woukd actually love to visit this. Looks cool.

In Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. Have fun queuing to see some statues in cages and a massive amount of false information being stated as fact.

In Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. Have fun queuing to see some statues in cages and a massive amount of false information being stated as fact.
It looks cool and I'd like to walk around in it. I have done the same thing at cool cathedrals and churches eventhough I'm a non believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom