• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

OnPoint

Vinterbird said:
It's only when I run to the left, and it is not momentum based, the character runs forever until he hits and edge, falls off stage or I touch the stick again. So it's either a bug or my controller is broken when playing Bastion.

(but man the game is good, so so so good)

I didn't experience this while playing through.

I did experience a similar issue in Twilight Princess, but that's neither here nor there

Despera said:
Could be that your analog stick is not returning to its default position. The game might have a very small dead zone.

Is there any other games with small deadzones? I haven't had the issue with Super Meat Boy or From Dust which also seem pretty pin point when playing them.

Alxjn

Decado said:
Argh. I hate it when sites like Gamespot have summaries, gives a score like 8.5 and only has one negative: "Leaderboard requirements are needlessly obtuse." I mean...WTF? Who cares? That's obviously not worth subtracting 1.5 from the score, so say what the real issue is.

Reviews don't start at 10 and then docked for each negative.

Anyways, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Looks awesome.

redlemon

Despera said:
I don't mind the Destructoid review at all (even though I strongly disagree with some of Jim Sterling's statements), but some of the comments there... pathetic.

Just look at the first few comments. They all go something like this: "Damn. I was really excited for this game, loved the art and gameplay looked awesome, but after reading this review, I won't buy."

The hell?

It's odd enough alright. Especially when Jim recommends you buy the game at the end.

Helmholtz

MTMBStudios said:
Looks like we have another legendary status DD game on our hands, can't wait for the PC release.
Same here. I think it's awesome that most of my favorite games from this generation are downloadable titles made by small teams. It really shows that you don't need a massive budget and staff to make an incredible game. I really hope this comes to Steam soon.

Poker360

Curufinwe said:
I don't think for a second this had any bearing on their review, but shouldn't they disclose at the end of the review that some of the creators of Bastion used to work at Gamespot?

He also gave Vanquish a 5.

Wouldn't surprise me if the reviewer wasn't even aware that Kasavin use to work for gamespot. That's how much i expect from them, especially after Kane & Lynch. That being said, 8.5 is still a good score.

Amir0x

Banned
Vire said:
He also gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5 and FF13 a 4. He's an idiot and does it for attention.

FF13 a 4?

I need to read more of his reviews. Seems on point

i'm downloading this. it looks super sweet but we'll see

Despera

Banned
Amir0x said:
FF13 a 4?

I need to read more of his reviews. Seems on point

i downloaded this. it looks super sweet but we'll see
Then again he gave Vanquish a 5 and Deadly Premonition a 10. So...

xbhaskarx

DaBuddaDa said:
Everyone in the gaming press has been *wink wink*ing this game this past week. They can't talk about it because of a strict embargo up Tuesday, but they've made it blatantly obvious that this is one of the greatest games of the generation and the best downloadable title of the year bar none. Expect a mid-90s metacritic.

But this year's Summer of Arcade sucks, there are no good games.

Mupod

Was saving my points for insanely twisted shadow planet, but now I'm conflicted on top of being broke. Damn.

Well that's what trials are for, right?

Also, never take Sterling seriously. Except for Deadly Premonition. You need to play that.

Ricker

I`m off to the trailer park with no internet till next Monday but while grabbing the Fallout NV DLC this morning,I added some points for this as well,looks awesome,the scores and reviews are great,looking forward to impressions tomorrow from you guys(I only have access to a hotspot until Monday) :p

Cool to see all the good reviews, but not surprised. Hyped for tomorrow!

EDIT: Jim sterling is a joke writer, and/or he simply doesn't have the balls to reveal his honest thoughts to the public, so he just writes stuff to annoy people and references his ability to be annoying as intellectual superiority. That's all fine, but it is sort of funny that his reviews 'count', when it's clear he doesn't even think his reviews are worth anything.

Decado

Alxjn said:
Reviews don't start at 10 and then docked for each negative.

Anyways, looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. Looks awesome.
I don't really get your point...? The leader board requirements can't be the only issue or even the main one. It's supposed to be a summary.

Vire

Conciliator said:
Cool to see all the good reviews, but not surprised. Hyped for tomorrow!

EDIT: Jim sterling is a joke writer, and/or he simply doesn't have the balls to reveal his honest thoughts to the public, so he just writes stuff to annoy people and references his ability to be annoying as intellectual superiority. That's all fine, but it is sort of funny that his reviews 'count', when it's clear he doesn't even think his reviews are worth anything.
I present you the genius of Jim Sterling:

Deadly Premonition - 10

"Deadly Premonition is beautiful. No, not graphically. Graphically it's atrocious. It's a beautiful trainwreck, and it's well aware of the fact. Despite this game being quite like everything ever made, there's nothing quite like the game itself. There is absolutely nothing in this industry that can compare to how weird and wonderful the whole experience is. Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond. This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect. "

Cargo Quest For Gravity - 7

"If the price ever drops, then this is an instant must-have title."

Witcher 2 - 6

It does the job and wastes some time, while providing no lasting impression or unforgettable experience. There are just far more fun and intensely more rewarding ways of wasting time.

Vanquish - 5

"Those who aren't so easily pleased by smoke and mirrors will be left wanting with Vanquish. Short, repetitive, and criminally dull, this game gives one the sense that Platinum was resting on its laurels, convinced it could do no wrong. Unfortunately, it has done quite a bit wrong with a game that's full of conflicting design choices and bereft of inspiration. "

Assassin's Creed 2 - 4.5

"The game's variety and length come across as nothing more than smoke and mirrors, the endless, grinding busywork that contributes nothing to the overall gameplay is inexcusably plentiful and mind-numbingly repetitive, and to top it all off, the game can't even compete in the visuals department and somehow looks worse than the original.

There's really no excuse for standards to be so low here. Assassin's Creed 2 is supposedly a triple-A game. It should have acted like one."

surly

Banned
Perhaps Jim Sterling's opinions are honest? I've disagreed with his reviews on several occasions, but what's worse is some of the people in the comments who appear to be using his reviews as the sole decision makers on whether they will purchase games. I know it doesn't just happen at Destructoid, but it is a little annoying.

Anyway, I can't wait to check this out tomorrow!

Vire

surly said:
Perhaps Jim Sterling's opinions are honest? I've disagreed with his reviews on several occasions, but what's worse is some of the people in the comments who appear to be using his reviews as the sole decision makers on whether they will purchase games. I know it doesn't just happen at Destructoid, but it is a little annoying.

Anyway, I can't wait to check this out tomorrow!
No it's purely for hits and attention, unfortunately it works. He is the Armond White of the gaming industry.

He purposefully gives stuff like Transformers five stars and things like the Kings Speech one star.

http://i.imgur.com/1IC5Q.jpg

It's amusing at least.

DaBuddaDa

surly said:
Perhaps Jim Sterling's opinions are honest? I've disagreed with his reviews on several occasions, but what's worse is some of the people in the comments who appear to be using his reviews as the sole decision makers on whether they will purchase games.
I don't doubt his honesty, it's that his reasoning and defense of his opinions in the text of his reviews are often incorrect, poorly thought out or have a blatant agenda, making his opinions unworthy of any value other than entertainment, as he says.

Mollymauk

Vire said:
I present you the genius of Jim Sterling:

Deadly Premonition - 10

"Deadly Premonition is beautiful. No, not graphically. Graphically it's atrocious. It's a beautiful trainwreck, and it's well aware of the fact. Despite this game being quite like everything ever made, there's nothing quite like the game itself. There is absolutely nothing in this industry that can compare to how weird and wonderful the whole experience is. Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond. This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect. "
This is 100% correct.

cametall

Jim Sterling reminds me of a friend of mine.

Both play games, both might agree with me that a certain game is good/bad, but the reasons they find a game good/bad are so off the wall you wonder if they don't suffer from a mild form of schizophrenia.

They come to the "right" conclusion for the "wrong" reasons sorta thing.

I find Destructoid's reviews mostly trash though.

DaBuddaDa

Dakota47 said:
Why is this thread about Jim Sterling?
Seeing the game isn't out yet, and today is embargo day, reviews and scores are naturally the discussion topic today. On Metacritic, Jim Sterling's review is the only one 'mixed' so it warrants discussion.

Spirit of Jazz said:
No mention of any of his Dynasty Warriors reviews?
Ah come on man. Don't bring that series into this.
Especially because I tend to love DW games and give them high-scores.

Deadly Premonition is good too. Jim doesn't to it any favors though considering he pretty much wrote it to get under the skin of Heavy Rain fans.

Dakota47

DaBuddaDa said:
Seeing the game isn't out yet, and today is embargo day, reviews and scores are naturally the discussion topic today. On Metacritic, Jim Sterling's review is the only one 'mixed' so it warrants discussion.

Absolutely true. I just wanted to vent my annoyance about people who still get annoyed by Jim Sterling. Sorry for that.

I've never heard of Jim Sterling, but to be fair GAF says the same thing about Tom Chick and he's probably my favorite games' writer.

Vire

Shurs said:
Why are people whining about a review of a game they haven't played?
Because he compares the graphics to flash based web advertisements?

You don't need to play the game to see that he is a fucking moron.

Shurs

Vire said:
Because he compares the graphics to flash based web advertisements?

You don't need to play the game to see that he is a fucking moron.

Here is what he actually said:

Jim Sterling said:
Even the art style, as pretty as it is, makes one think of the types of casual RPGs you see advertised on Web site banner ads

zkl6ht.jpg

2lcutt4.jpg

Vire

Shurs said:
Here is what he actually said:

zkl6ht.jpg

2lcutt4.jpg
How is that even remotely comparable to the quality of this?

One is generic as hell, and the other isn't.

If you are going to criticize the game, the presentation is not an aspect that needs to be scrutinized. I don't mind if he had problems with the gameplay or story, but to complain about the graphics is plain idiotic.

ZvVX1.jpg

sAcOu.jpg

Top Bottom