• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

SPEA

Vire said:
He also gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5 and FF13 a 4. He's an idiot and does it for attention.
Thank Christ I don't take this guy seriously. If I would've taken his opinion with some validity, I never would've played ACII, one of the greatest games this generation. He's delusional.

DaBuddaDa

GashPrex said:
What is the length of the game? I skimmed some reviews and didn't see it mentioned
5-7 hours, add a couple more if you're a completionist, and there is a new game+ option. Great value for $15.

TheOddOne

SPEA said:
Thank Christ I don't take this guy seriously. If I would've taken his opinion with some validity, I never would've played ACII, one of the greatest games this generation. He's delusional.
Him and Shane Shatterfield would make amazing babies.

DaBuddaDa

Whenever a thread begins the pile on Jim Sterling (it happens often), I just need to remind everyone that he himself has said, paraphrasing: "I don't think of myself as a games journalist, I am an entertainer." That's all you really need to know.

OnPoint said:
What happened?
I don't really feel comfortable linking my own tweets here but you can just take a look at his recent tweets and get an idea.

Anyhow, not to derail - I'm fucking excited for Bastion. The story being the weakest part is troublesome because that's what I was most interested in, but we'll see if that's true tomorrow I guess.

DaBuddaDa said:
Whenever a thread begins the pile on Jim Sterling (it happens often), I just need to remind everyone that he himself has said, paraphrasing: "I don't think of myself as a games journalist, I am an entertainer." That's all you really need to know.

Seriously. Everyone needs to stop linking to his reviews and giving them more hits every thread. That is what he wants. The day people learn how to ignore trolls is the day they die. Why is it so hard to do?

DaBuddaDa

Vire said:
Anyone care to figure out the meteoritic thus far?
If you do the math and weigh all sites equally it's at 87 or so. If you theoretically assumed the no-score reviews, which are all very positive, as 9s or 10s, it'd be around 90 ;)

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Bento said:
Bah! Just saw the GT review and I feel they confirmed my worries that the narrator probably should have been skipped. Regardless, watching that video made the combat seem very good and with some beautiful visuals to boot, so I'll probably just mute it and play it with my own soundtrack.

That'd be the best way to completely ruin the experience for yourself, but hey, your money, your prerogative.

Zomba13

Really looking forward to this but will wait if it's been confirmed it's coming to the PC in any form. Is there a PC release date or something?

LiK

Zomba13 said:
Really looking forward to this but will wait if it's been confirmed it's coming to the PC in any form. Is there a PC release date or something?

this year is all we know.

DaBuddaDa

Bastion was originally IIRC going to be a PC game, or at least XBLA/PC at the same time. When Warner Bros. made the publishing deal and got them into Summer of Arcade, I suspect they pushed back the PC version so they could focus on getting the XBLA version perfect and done in time. I'd expect the PC version to come out sometime within in a few months from now.

Decado

Argh. I hate it when sites like Gamespot have summaries, gives a score like 8.5 and only has one negative: "Leaderboard requirements are needlessly obtuse." I mean...WTF? Who cares? That's obviously not worth subtracting 1.5 from the score, so say what the real issue is.

Been playing it for the past hour and man, the music is so great. Controls feels a wee bit wonky, but it is entertaining so far.

Lunchbox

Banned
that destructroid review actually uses the "fans of the genre" line, smh

good to see its getting great scores all over the place

DaBuddaDa

More Destructoid piling-on:

"Bastion is fun enough for what it is, but it does not transcend to the levels that it would like you to believe it does."

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? "That it would like you to believe..."? The game wants me to think something? It's trying to trick me? Is he trying to say he thinks its pretentious?

Despera

Banned
I don't mind the Destructoid review at all (even though I strongly disagree with some of Jim Sterling's statements), but some of the comments there... pathetic.

Just look at the first few comments. They all go something like this: "Damn. I was really excited for this game, loved the art and gameplay looked awesome, but after reading this review, I won't buy."

The hell?

DaBuddaDa said:
More Destructoid piling-on:

"Bastion is fun enough for what it is, but it does not transcend to the levels that it would like you to believe it does."

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? "That it would like you to believe..."? The game wants me to think something? It's trying to trick me? Is he trying to say he thinks its pretentious?
This particular line was just... weird.

Twinduct

How about a new rule, all of destructoid's reviews get copy pasted inside OT threads.
At least when everyone is 'talking' about, we don't have to contribute to their ever growing hits.

(Yes I know, we can just ignore it, but when 20+ posts talk about it, there is a large incentive to go and read what the monkies wrote)

That 'transcend' line makes sense to me, and I say that as a devout Jim Sterling hater(who hides behind a veil of nihilsm and absurdity due to extermely low self-esteem; nobody can criticize him if he doesn't take anything seriously). He's saying that the game imagines itself as being very 'artsy', but is perhaps not as dedicated to that approach as would appear at first glance. I haven't played the game of course, but I've used the same logic to criticize other games('Braid' comes to mind immediately).

DaBuddaDa

"Transcend to the levels that it would like you to believe it does" is just another way of saying "The game didn't meet my expectations," but puts the blame on the game instead of the writer.

I see someone already linked the XBLAFans review, so I shan't pimp that again.

I shall however shamelessly pimp the awesome interview we did with Greg Kasavin for the XBLAFancast. While I may be biased, considering I produce the thing I have to say it's a great listen. Greg's a really good interview and he talked about a lot of different aspects of the game as well as a little bit about his career and Supergiant Games.

XBLAFancast - Bastion Special

I purposefully haven't watched any videos or read about this game at all.. Pretty much buying it because I love the art style and don't wanna spoil myself.

I don't put too much into reviews, but seeing the average score makes me veery happy.

edit: Whoops, thought it was out today. Can't wait for tomorrow, then.

Cross and Controller- Theology score 9.5

Issues of theology are raised throughout Bastion, looking at the commodification of deity, and the reaction of those who have attempted to keep the gods holy. Of the two cultures portrayed in the game, one has turned the gods into decoration, while the other continues to worship. This dichotomy of two cultures is fascinating, and not one we see often in gaming. The viewpoint of the narrator as well is an interesting aspect of our knowledge of the gods of Bastion, as he is both the source of our understanding, and also a member of one of the two cultures mentioned; thus his own view is colored by his surroundings.

For those who have played the game:

I'm experiencing an issue with the controls in the game. If I press the control stick to the left for more then a few seconds, The Kid just keeps running in that direction. It happens a lot, and makes me run over the edge far too much.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried to see if it happens in other games, but I can only make it happen in Bastion. Is it a bug or is my controller just selective as to when it should be broken.

okenny

Banned
Vinterbird said:
For those who have played the game:

I'm experiencing an issue with the controls in the game. If I press the control stick to the left for more then a few seconds, The Kid just keeps running in that direction. It happens a lot, and makes me run over the edge far too much.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried to see if it happens in other games, but I can only make it happen in Bastion. Is it a bug or is my controller just selective as to when it should be broken.

I haven't played it yet but am curious... Does it only do this when you're moving the controller (stick) leftwards? Are you sure its not an momentum attribute given for analog control one one has the stick all the way left and the character's velocity is at its max? If they use that mechanic than it takes a moment for the character to come to a stop.

I've played some games where it would seem like the analog stick is still sending inputs even after I've stopped providing input. I'd literally had to giggle my stick to reset. This happens rarely even within those games and it's never really been in a situation where it would cause me death.

okenny said:
I haven't played it yet but am curious... Does it only do this when you're moving the controller (stick) leftwards? Are you sure its not an momentum attribute given for analog control one one has the stick all the way left and the character's velocity is at its max? If they use that mechanic than it takes a moment for the character to come to a stop.

I've played some games where it would seem like the analog stick is still sending inputs even after I've stopped providing input. I'd literally had to giggle my stick to reset. This happens rarely even within those games and it's never really been in a situation where it would cause me death.

It's only when I run to the left, and it is not momentum based, the character runs forever until he hits and edge, falls off stage or I touch the stick again. So it's either a bug or my controller is broken when playing Bastion.

(but man the game is good, so so so good)

Fjordson

Glad to see the good scores. Can't wait to play this tomorrow.

And lol, watching the Gamespot video review they show the leaderboard feature, and Brad and Jeff from Giant Bomb are both on there in the top three.

Despera

Banned
Vinterbird said:
It's only when I run to the left, and it is not momentum based, the character runs forever until he hits and edge, falls off stage or I touch the stick again. So it's either a bug or my controller is broken when playing Bastion.

(but man the game is good, so so so good)
Could be that your analog stick is not returning to its default position. The game might have a very small dead zone.

Top Bottom