• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

I just watched the 10 minute interactive intro and the first thing it reminded me of was chronicles of riddick, with it's dark look and ability to look around while the intro plays.

This is one game i've suddenly become more interested in, may have to give it a go.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JudgeN said:
Its good to see a UE3 game run well on the PS3 for once.

UE3 run fine on PS3 these days ( if the developers are good anyway ) .
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand was identical on PS3 and 360 and PS3 version don't have tearing too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWHCxXPPLM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-19-article?page=2

wolverine was fine on PS3 too according to Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-20?page=3

also Mirror Edge was very good too on PS3 , there are other games too .

Minamu

Totobeni said:
so , uh don't know if we can trust OPM reviews .
It's easy to jump to this conclusion, and I do too sometimes, but we don't know if the reviews are written by the same reviewers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Varth said:
Nope, sorry. Interaction and Detective mechanics are still given away too easily. Only difference I noticed is the fact that once spotted by armed goons you're as good as dead, and I like it. The lack of the counter icon is not a big deal, anyway: the command window is pretty wide, so it only makes fighting more tense (you also get a LOT more damage). All in all, I would encourage to begin with Hard right away. I think I'll continue my first run like this.

So far, the game is pretty good. I'd say the scores are more or less earned, but I still think that the game could have been raised from good to "masterpiece" status with more trust given to the players and more open mechanics (or even a better distribution of help between the difficulty levels).

Oh, I forgot: it DOES mention the difference, but only when you select the hard level. Pretty pointless, if you ask me.
Now that I'm here, another thing: game has a 1,7 (or 1,9) GB install, but also says it could "borrow" up to 3,8 Gigs without asking "to improve performance".
Ah, interesting. Well it's Hard for me then. :D

abundant

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=91868

Batman: Arkham Asylum™ Demo Available August 7

The consumer demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum™, co-published in North America by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Eidos Inc., will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 entertainment system and Games For Windows® LIVE worldwide on August 7. The full game will be available at retail stores nationwide in North America beginning August 25, and in Europe and Australia beginning August 28.

The demo will be offered on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for Xbox 360 and PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION 3. Fans can visit www.batmanarkhamasylum.com for details on how to download the Games For Windows LIVE version.

The Batman: Arkham Asylum™ demo opens as the DARK KNIGHT and COMMISSIONER GORDON return The Joker back into confinement at ARKHAM ASYLUM. But things soon fall apart as THE JOKER gains the upper hand and springs a trap, setting Arkham Asylum’s occupants upon Batman. The demo offers gamers a taste of the fierce FreeFlow™ combat system, the cunning stealth of the Invisible Predator™ mechanic, and the feeling of becoming the WORLD’S GREATEST DETECTIVE as they navigate Arkham Asylum’s imposing Intensive Treatment facility. Players can unlock character bios, as well as get a sneak peak at some of the infamous foes that BATMAN will encounter within the cavernous and macabre confines of Arkham Asylum.

Featuring amazing graphics within an intense, immersive setting, Batman: Arkham Asylum™ exposes players to a unique, dark and atmospheric adventure that takes them to the depths of Arkham Asylum – Gotham City's psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. Gamers will move in the shadows, instigate fear amongst their enemies, and confront The Joker and Gotham City's most notorious villains, including Harley Quinn, Bane, Killer Croc and Poison Ivy, and the newly revealed Scarecrow, who have taken over the asylum.

Batman: Arkham Asylum™ has been rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB in North America and PEGI 16+ in Europe. For more information on the title, please visit: www.batmanarkhamasylum.com.

Spike

Totobeni said:
uh

they give you presents two days after your birthday ? , poor lil thing .

:(

Better than having to wait until a week before the game comes out, no? Besides, there won't be time to play it on my bday, and I'll be too drunk to play it the next day, so Friday is perfect.

Captain N

MacBosse said:
AWESOME!

Got it paid in full already but this will hopefully confirm my feelings that it will be pure sex.

Batman sex.

regular or CE?

I found out some other enemies...so feel free to skip over the rest of my post if you don't want to know.

Great White Shark
The Penguin
Mad Hatter
Clay Face
Mr. Zsasz
The Joker
Killer Croc
Bane
The Riddler
Posion Ivy
Scarecrow
Harley Quinn
The Calendarman
Humpty Dumpty
Rat Catcher
Black Mask
Mr. Freeze
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Firefly
Harvey Two Face

TheFallen

You sure those are not just referenced in the game? I remember reading that several of those make no appearances, just referenced via collectibles
Two Face coins

Volcynika

Captain N said:
regular or CE?

I found out some other enemies...so feel free to skip over the rest of my post if you don't want to know.

Great White Shark
The Penguin
Mad Hatter
Clay Face
Mr. Zsasz
The Joker
Killer Croc
Bane
The Riddler
Posion Ivy
Scarecrow
Harley Quinn
The Calendarman
Humpty Dumpty
Rat Catcher
Black Mask
Mr. Freeze
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Firefly
Harvey Two Face

Source? Just wondering.

Cardon

Captain N said:
regular or CE?

Black Mask
Mr. Freeze
Harvey Two Face

That makes me extremely happy, especially
Black Mask

Ephemeris

3593990751_01d4db1f85.jpg

Decisions, Decisions.

Captain N

MacBosse said:
Holy hell, whats in that?

Behind-the-scenes videos featuring interviews with the development team, Paul Dini, scriptwriter for the game, Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman, and more.

14" Batarang with stand which matches the Batarang’s in-game design

Arkham Doctor’s Journal (48 pages of notes on Arkham’s inmates with an embossed leather dust jacket) **

2 Sleeve Digi-pack, including the game disc and a behind-the-scenes DVD

Exclusive “Crime Alley” map, available immediately

Full-color Manual

Batarang Boxset

Dunno if any of you are getting this on Amazon, but I saw this on CAG:

5 bucks off code:
5OFFARKM

They've already got it for 53 bucks, so that's $48 right there. That, plus the ECA 10% discount can net you the game for 42 bucks. Which it did for me.

Shurs

Captain N said:
regular or CE?

Wait a tic, are those supposed to be in game enemies? I assumed that they were saving most of those you've listed for the inevitable sequel(s).

DrAndonuts said:

5 bucks off code:
5OFFARKM

They've already got it for 53 bucks, so that's $48 right there. That, plus the ECA 10% discount can net you the game for 42 bucks. Which it did for me.

Awesome, thanks!

Captain N

Shurs said:
Wait a tic, are those supposed to be in game enemies? I assumed that they were saving most of those you've listed for the inevitable sequel(s).

they have bios for all of them in the game. I know at the very least
Clayface
is in it.

I've played the game through twice on PS3 and played it enough on the 360 to say its probably the best Unreal engine game I've seen, no probs in either versions. Looks amazing on both.

Also, do believe the hype on this one game, it IS awesome.

I played the kiosk demo at Target, it was pretty cool. Only problem was having to defend off the punk kids trying to hog up all the damn playing time!!

Captain N

DrAndonuts said:

5 bucks off code:
5OFFARKM

88.99 for the CE! Ordered!

MacBosse

RiotPelaaja said:
I've played the game through twice on PS3 and played it enough on the 360 to say its probably the best Unreal engine game I've seen, no probs in either versions. Looks amazing on both.

God damnit .. is it that awesome? Gimme 3 reasons it rocks.

Shurs

Captain N said:
they have bios for all of them in the game. I know at the very least
Clayface
is in it.

I'm guessing the Arkham files on the characters are found in game, even if they are not.

I've gone back and forth on the Collector's Edition. In 80% of the cases they end up being worthless wastes of space and money. And this one is 300SEK extra... ...but it does look pretty sweet doesn't it?

Thanks for the update on the PS3 performance Mr. Puha. Think I might go with that version for once. At this point it's basically the Joker vs the Benny Hill theme. Such a shame they'll be mutually exclusive. :(

Ephemeris

RiotPelaaja said:

Nice.:D

Varth

Shurs said:
I'm guessing the Arkham files on the characters are found in game, even if they are not.

Most of the ones on the list (that seems correct, at a quick glance) are only referred to in the Riddler's enigmas you have to solve. Find the answer, get the bio. Those who ARE in the game, however, are VERY well made.

nuts beaten!

p.s. there are also rumors that the 360 is going to get exclusive killer croc content, but it will not be released immediately nor will it be free

Captain N

VibratingDonkey said:
I've gone back and forth on the Collector's Edition. In 80% of the cases they end up being worthless wastes of space and money. And this one is 300SEK extra... ...but it does look pretty sweet doesn't it?

Thanks for the update on the PS3 performance Mr. Puha. Think I might go with that version for once. At this point it's basically the Joker vs the Benny Hill theme. Such a shame they'll be mutually exclusive. :(

Wait! The theme is only on the 360? That's the first I heard of this!

Watched the footage of the first ten minutes today. That, coupled with the announcement of the demo, coupled with the fact that my local retailer had the release date a week later than it actually is has got me really psyched for Arkham Asylum. Can't wait. The fact that I have nothing to play right now also helps.

Captain N

FrenchMovieTheme said:
nuts beaten!

p.s. there are also rumors that the 360 is going to get exclusive killer croc content, but it will not be released immediately nor will it be free

Iight have to double dip if they release good DLC that's only on the 360.

Captain N

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
No need. All DLC will go multiplatform at some point. It always does. Soul Calibur anyone?

I am working on a comic book website and think that will be something the readers would want to hear about.

Top Bottom