• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

MacBosse

ToyMachine228 said:
Getting the game on 360. I usually always get the version with the controller that I'm more comfortable with. Extras and downloadable content are pretty much after thoughts for me.

Yeah Im on the 3602 too, but playing the joker would be sweet. Ah well, I'll survive.

EzLink

Banned
For those of you disappointed that the batarangs are plastic, you can do what I did and buy actual Batarangs. I got a pack of 2 for 20 bucks from my local weapons shop. They are sharp/badass as fuck! Plus I thought 20 was a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OUJ4DY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty rad, especially if you go about at night trying to actually fight crime, they quickly become essentials

Gomu Gomu

EzLink said:
For those of you disappointed that the batarangs are plastic, you can do what I did and buy actual Batarangs. I got a pack of 2 for 20 bucks from my local weapons shop. They are sharp/badass as fuck! Plus I thought 20 was a fairly reasonable price.

Pretty rad, especially if you go about at night trying to actually fight crime, they quickly become essentials

Costumer review:
Thease are the real deal my son can get over the fact the Batman sent them to us.

:lol

Sascha23

Banned
Well, so much for patience...

I gave in to the sweet Amazon deal and pre-ordered for PS3.

Can't bloody wait!

A tad off-topic: You should all read Brian Azzarello's recent graphic novel called Joker. Really brilliant writer. Makes these vintage characters feel alive in the same way his characters in 100 Bullets feel resound.

Wag

EzLink said:

I sense a result like THIS

Wag

I imagine the PC version will be the best out of all of them as it is based on the UT3 engine after all, but you never know with these things...

Hakkuei

Sascha23 said:
A tad off-topic: You should all read Brian Azzarello's recent graphic novel called Joker. Really brilliant writer. Makes these vintage characters feel alive in the same way his characters in 100 Bullets feel resound.
/Agree, and Bermejo's art is fucking beautiful.

TheFallen

mintylurb said:
I didn't notice any blatant screen tearing in that ps3 gameplay footage unlike the one linked by MacBosse. It looks like MacBosse can sleep easy knowing that the ps3 version turned out ok.
The italian review was done using the 360 review copy, as you can see from the button prompts.

TheFallen said:
The italian review was done using the 360 review copy, as you can see from the button prompts.
2a6petk.jpg

Varth

Please note that while the title says "review", it's actually a PREVIEW, as clearly stated multiple times in the voice over.

didn't notice any blatant screen tearing in that ps3 gameplay footage unlike the one linked by MacBosse. It looks like MacBosse can sleep easy knowing that the ps3 version turned out ok.

Actually the video is based on the preview code, that was so ridden with vsynch problems I had given up all hope on the game (they also mention that in the video, minimizing the issue quite a bit). Review copy magically fixes all problems, and while the game is not buttery smooth, I didn't notice any significant frame drop. It's overall a pleasant experience technically.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Well, done with the video. It's not a review, but more like a first impression based on an early part of the PS3 preview code.

They are pretty happy about the whole thing but are concerned about progression feeling less-freeform than expected. Feels like solving a huge puzzle rather than coming up with your own solutions to any given challenge. Or something like that. They point out this might be due to the tutorial-ish nature of the early portions of the game tho.

The first and only boss fight they encountered wasn't really that engaging. Enemy AI/patter heavily scripted and stuff.

On the tech side of things they are pleased with detail, lighting, animations and particle effects but lament tearing in quite a few situations, hoping for the final code to have v-sync locked. Excellent art direction helps visuals as well.

The rest of the preview is basically descriptive (you can do this, you can do that) with no significant comments that I recall.

Captain N said:
wait no one answered my question yet. Does the 360 version have the old school original theme?
I don't know if I confused you or something. By "Benny Hill theme" I was referring to the Benny Hill theme, which I would liked to have play in the background as the Joker unleashed his tricks on fools. The Benny Hill theme makes anything better. That and slow motion. Not in combination though.

So the answer is neither version, sadly. An Adam West mode totally needs to happen though. Like, the whole thing, outfit, POW!!s, music, shark repellent, hell yeah.

Unless you were referring to this one. Would've been great as well, but slightly less so.

Varth

TTP said:
Well, done with the video. It's not a review, but more like a first impression based on an early part of the PS3 preview code.

They are pretty happy about the whole thing but are concerned about progression feeling less-freeform than expected. Feels like solving a huge puzzle rather than coming up with your own solutions to any given challenge. Or something like that. They point out this might be due to the tutorial-ish nature of the early portions of the game tho.

Unfortunately it's not. Game stays like this, and it's the only complaint I can file. Anyway, I guess that having a Metroid-like formula (guided main quest, more free bonus search) it's not bad at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Varth said:
Review copy magically fixes all problems, and while the game is not buttery smooth, I didn't notice any significant frame drop.

Good to hear about v-sync being magically on, but can you elaborate on the frame rate? You didn't notice any significant frame drop but yet u say it's not buttery smooth? You mean it constantly runs at less than 30fps?

Varth

Maybe it was a poor choice of words on my part. I would say 30 with minor and very sparse dippings. I really don't have a clinic eye for that, however. As far as the frame rate is consistent and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay, I'm happy, and that is the case. I tend to notice only the buttery (as in CoD 4) and the bumpy (too many to count) ends of the scale, and the rest, save for dips, goes unnoticed.

MacBosse

mintylurb said:
I didn't notice any blatant screen tearing in that ps3 gameplay footage unlike the one linked by MacBosse. It looks like MacBosse can sleep easy knowing that the ps3 version turned out ok.

Haha, I'm not that concerned about the PS3 version since I will go with the 360 myself but I was concerned that the 360 version would be haunted by this aswell.

The game is still 3 weeks away, so we may be a little early for an official thread. I usually like to wait until about a week before release or so.

EzLink

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
The game is still 3 weeks away, so we may be a little early for an official thread. I usually like to wait until about a week before release or so.

Do you like to wait about a week before release because that's the official GAF rule?

wRATH2x

Banned
EzLink said:

I'm buying those motherfuckers!!!!

DieH@rd

Banned
Gully State said:
Any news on the recommended PC specs for this game? I'm torn b/t the PC and PS3 version.

It uses Unreal 3 engine, so PC specs will not be different from other UE3 games.

Mass Effect, Wolverine, Brothers in Arms, Gears of War, Stranglehold, etc etc etc

Gully State said:
Any news on the recommended PC specs for this game? I'm torn b/t the PC and PS3 version.

Its an UE3 game so a 7900GT, 2gb ram and any Core 2 should give you better than PS3 performance. Any modern card like a 8800GT or better and it'll be a huge leap in graphics/performance that you're looking at.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Can't believe I was banned for a year for expressing my opinion that this forum can sometimes turn into a mob with pitchforks... I could see a month ban or so but damn. I guess if I really wanted to come back there would have been ways.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. It marks the start of the gaming season for me. It's been a horribly dry summer (game wise) with only a few XBLA/PSN titles to keep my gaming needs up.

DieH@rd said:
It uses Unreal 3 engine, so PC specs will not be different from other UE3 games.

Mass Effect, Wolverine, Brothers in Arms, Gears of War, Stranglehold, etc etc etc
Depends on what they are pushing, specs are never the same but they can be close, sometimes.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
DieH@rd said:

That's not necessarily true... game developers add stuff to the engine and do lots of things that can affect performance on the PC.

But I'm sure it won't be anything surprising.

mintylurb

Thunderbear said:
Can't believe I was banned for a year for expressing my opinion that this forum can sometimes turn into a mob with pitchforks... I could see a month ban or so but damn. I guess if I really wanted to come back there would have been ways.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. It marks the start of the gaming season for me. It's been a horribly dry summer (game wise) with only a few XBLA/PSN titles to keep my gaming needs up.
Banned for a year? Dang, do you know who banned you?

Top Bottom