• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Thunderbear said:
That's not necessarily true... game developers add stuff to the engine and do lots of things that can affect performance on the PC.

But I'm sure it won't be anything surprising.

It doesn't matter what the requirements are really, they've been worthless for a long time now anyway.

The fact is any UE3 game performs better on a low end gaming PC (7900GT/2ghz Core 2/2GB RAM) than it does on the PS3, this game isn't going to change that. If the game is more demanding on the PC side, it'll be more demanding on the PS3 side and vice versa.

DrBo42

brain_stew said:
It doesn't matter what the requirements are really, they've been worthless for a long time now anyway.

The fact is any UE3 game performs better on a low end gaming PC (7900GT/2ghz Core 2/2GB RAM) than it does on the PS3, this game isn't going to change that. If the game is more demanding on the PC side, it'll be more demanding on the PS3 side and vice versa.

According to the devs the demo also includes PhysX support if any of the PC elite have this. Be sure to report in about that.

Wollan

The Nvidia 3D Vision guys (the product manager) has been praising the 3D effect in this game (pc version obviously).

Here are some direct feed screens for the PS3 version

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051333219.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051335907.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051338563.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051342031.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051344688.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051347813.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051354359.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051359718.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051410421.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051415952.jpg

batman-arkham-asylum-20090805051418937.jpg

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14273490/imgs_1.html

Gameplay videos

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14273490/vids_1.html

Wag

Wollan said:
The Nvidia 3D Vision guys (the product manager) has been praising the 3D effect in this game (pc version obviously).
I'm wondering if the PC version supports a multi-GPU Physx setup (since it's based on the UT3 engine)?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
* There will be a "Batman Arkham Asylum Batcave Outpost Apartment". Apparently, this will be only for PlayStation Home. It will contain items such as the Batsuit, Batmobile, and Batwing, along with various Bat-gadgets. This content on PlayStation Home will be free.

TTP said:
Holy shit.

OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gofreak said:
I'm betting the batmobile will be a little ornament for your mantel piece.

(Well, either way it'll be an ornament. Forget about driving this around TTP ;))

I guess you haven't seen the ghostbusters apartment.

http://images.play.com/banners/6362923l.jpg

oh crap the armored batsuit. SWEET!

I hope this game has unlockable batsuits, like the Adam West one, The Dark knight one, the Tim Burton Batman one, etc.

Wag

DrBo42 said:
Both the retail game and the demo support PhysX.
Now I'm wondering if I should buy another cheap card to throw into my setup for PhysX or just wait for the Next-Gen Dx11 cards to arrive? I'll probably wait for the later, as I already have one GTX 295, and only have one more free PCI-Express slot. Tempting to pick up a GTX 250 or GTX 260 though, as they can be found pretty cheap and would probably make a decent difference.

I guess I'll just wait for the jump to the next-gen and use the GTX 295 as the PhysX card.

Pumpkins

TTP said:
:lol @ the end of the Leave no Man video

Looking great.

I was laughing at the "Rescue Guard" part itself, just because I thought it was kinda weird that the guards couldn't pull themselves up, but then when it got to the end :lol

MacBosse

"I've always been looking forward to Batman: Arkham Asylum, but I've been looking forward with a healthy dose of trepidation because we all know how bad comic book games can go. After today's playthrough, I'm thoroughly pumped. There are issues I have with what I've seen -- there's a lot of screen tearing in the beginning of the game, NPCs have these giant bug eyes, and the lip syncing doesn't seem right at times -- but those issues aren't enough to damper my spirits. The story is interesting, the gameplay is fun, and Mark Hamill is still the man as Joker."

Bad sign. Lets hope it's just the preview code or bad optimization in the beginning of the game!

Varth

Yup. I've said that multiple times. Preview code is the shit. Review code is ok. Except maybe for the lip synch, that still seems off at times.

EDIT:
but those issues aren't enough to damper my spirits.

LOL. Screen tearing was so massive to dampen ANYONE'S spirit. Gamebreaking to teh maxx.

DrBo42 said:
According to the devs the demo also includes PhysX support if any of the PC elite have this. Be sure to report in about that.

Hardware physx? I'll be sure to try it out, the effect was great in Mirror's Edge, really added to the cinematic experience.

Varth said:
LOL. Screen tearing was so massive to dampen ANYONE'S spirit. Gamebreaking to teh maxx.

Absolutely its 100% the worst visual artefact in gaming, and very much game breaking in its worst instances. Thankfully there's a PC version so all is well, those PS3 versions look sub HD to my untrained eye, have to see what the pixel counters have to say.

Feindflug

MacBosse said:

"I've always been looking forward to Batman: Arkham Asylum, but I've been looking forward with a healthy dose of trepidation because we all know how bad comic book games can go. After today's playthrough, I'm thoroughly pumped. There are issues I have with what I've seen -- there's a lot of screen tearing in the beginning of the game, NPCs have these giant bug eyes, and the lip syncing doesn't seem right at times -- but those issues aren't enough to damper my spirits. The story is interesting, the gameplay is fun, and Mark Hamill is still the man as Joker."

Bad sign. Lets hope it's just the preview code or bad optimization in the beginning of the game!

Well that's weird..at least from the vids I saw there wasn't any problems with the frame-rate - in fact it looks really smooth especially for a UE3 engine game.

I guess we'll see how the frame-rate/IQ of the game is tomorrow.

Tonza

Apparently Pelaaja (the Finnish gaming mag) gave this 10/10.

Can't verify since my magazine goes to my own appartment. (where Im not atm)

123rl

For those who have played it on both formats, which one has less screen tear? I have absolutely zero interest in format wars - I simply want the best version of the game. atm I'm leaning towards the PS3 version anyway due to the Joker DLC.

123rl said:
For those who have played it on both formats, which one has less screen tear? I have absolutely zero interest in format wars - I simply want the best version of the game. atm I'm leaning towards the PS3 version anyway due to the Joker DLC.

Wait till Digital Foundry get their hands on the game, I wouldn't trust any subjective opinion on a technical matter here tbh. Wait for the actual numbers.

Ofcourse, if you have a somewhat modern gaming PC, there'll be zero tearing there if you don't want it (like all PC games).

Tonza said:
Apparently Pelaaja (the Finnish gaming mag) gave this 10/10.

Can't verify since my magazine goes to my own appartment. (where Im not atm)
Yeah, I haven't read the review yet, but it's 10/10.

brain_stew said:
I've posted the shots over at B3D so hopefully someone will clear up what's going on, definitely doesn't look like native 720p to me in some of those shots.
Ah crap. Why does this always happen? £23.43 is sooo good though, so I'll probably keep my pre-order despite this potential issue. I'll live, I think.

Xater

Yasae said:
Who's Oracle, and why does she sound exactly like Ashley Williams?

Oracle is Barbara Gordon, the former Batgirl. She stopped being BAtgirl when the Joker shot her and she was no longer able to walk. Now she is Oracle, an information broker for super heroes.

Truant said:
Lighting and shadows look surprisingly sharp for UE3.

Yeah, the shadows in particular look to be using really nice resolution/filtering. Ugly low res jagged shadows can be a real eyesore, so its a nice bonus.

Yasae

Banned
Xater said:
Oracle is Barbara Gordon, the former Batgirl. She stopped being BAtgirl when the Joker shot her and she was no longer able to walk. Now she is Oracle, an information broker for super heroes.
Good to know. Now if only I could unhear/see this:

masseffect_61_745x440.jpg

Top Bottom