• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

panda21

it appears to be running at full resolution, although theyve gone nuts with the bloom and film grain so i cant be sure

if the intro video is in-engine then its stunning but could be prerendered i guess.

not seen any tearing but i dont usually notice that anyway. its definitely not game breaking in the very start at least.

definitely looks better than those IGN pictures

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I hope the demo is more than 5 minutes of gameplay because the first 10 is just a cutscene.
My guess, as a nerd who has followed these things, is it will end about five minutes after the "first ten minutes" video gamersyde had.

So:
Introductory cutscene, first fight against Joker's goons, the Zsasz takedown, Harley's appearance, some sneaking through vents and silent takedowns, and a bit of detective work to finish.

123rl

Installing it now. I hope it's more than the tutorial plus another 5 minutes. A 1.5GB demo for a game like this should last at least 30 minutes!

Saturn said:
Ugh, the trend of delaying the launch of PC versions of multiplat titles is flatout stupid.
Did they even bother to check if it does a difference? doesn't make a sense at all.

Now, instead of the game coming out in a pretty much empty period, thus having close to no competition, they are releasing the PC version the same day as RFG.

Yes, but the delay is so they can make the fog look prettier, so it is totally worth it.

Ephemeris

Just finished. Loved it. :D

I died on purpose a couple times at the last part
lol yeah right
and noticed there's multiple death-scene things which was neat, but also when Joker speaks in that area, I actually heard a different speech from time to time.

Rope-a-dope FTW though.

123rl

Ok it's really good! :D Combat is basic but fun and workable. Stealth is brilliant and the controls are so right. It looks good and sounds better. I'm impressed

Ephemeris

You can hit R1 to swing to something while doing something else to chain it.

IE, you can hit R1 while swinging to swing somewhere else without having to stop.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
F-ing love it! :eek:

panda21

its awesome :D

i was worried about the AI but its actually very good. they do take some liberties with the guards being blind above eye level most of the time, but if you are too obvious they will look up and see you and start shooting at you.

their routes appear to be pretty open, they don't just follow a single path. when you take one out another one will take over their area.

theres a very nice touch where there is a boiler hissing and if they are near it they freak out and shoot at it. happened just after i did a take down and i thought they had seen me.

Minamu

Well, that demo kicked ass. i would preorder, if I hadn't already done that :D The demo is obviously edited & the whole interactive tutorial intro is cut out while the movies are just that, prerendered movies. No in-game movies (which I hope the complete game has). Short demo but longer than expected. Gonna play this over & over again tonight :lol

+
fluid controls
joker humor
combat is great fun. **** the haters.

-
distinct lack of AA. Not gamebreaking.
lip sync seems odd. It's a mix of good, odd & 100% off (ie mouths not moving at all)
movies prerendered makes the game look shitty from time to time.

Glad to hear the good impressions. Can't wait to try this later. I knew pre-ordering this would be one of the best impulse decisions I've made in a while. :D

Yeah, just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents:

Demo is fucking awesome. I'm so glad they've actually pulled off the control mechanisms in that they just feel right.

I'm gonna go controversial here but if the game maintains this quality throughout, this will kinda be like my own personal next-gen MGS. Has that similar feel to it.

Off to play some more. (Woo hoo!)

abundant

ToyMachine228 said:
Can't wait for the 360 demo tomorrow. You lucky European PSN users. Making the wait worse for the rest of us:lol

According to the B:AA forum, the 360 demo will be up some time between 4.30-8.30pm PT today.

Ephemeris

ToyMachine228 said:
Can't wait for the 360 demo tomorrow. You lucky European PSN users. Making the wait worse for the rest of us:lol
I reside in Brooklyn NY :p

Just make a Euro account already, Todd :p

abundant said:
According to the B:AA forum, the 360 demo will be up some time between 4.30-8.30pm PT today.

Now that is what I like to hear! I could just make a European PSN account but, I don't want to go through all that jazz. If the Arkham Asylum demo is coming for 360 later today, I'm happy:D

123rl

So how did people take out those three guards with guns? I get the impression that there's multiple ways to do it and it's down to your imagination to pick one. Me? I went with throwing a batarang at their heads to stun them, swinging down, hitting a few times then swinging away before they see me :D I'd love to see the kind of inspirational ideas this game presents the player with once you have Batman's full arsenal

123rl said:
So how did people take out those three guards with guns? I get the impression that there's multiple ways to do it and it's down to your imagination to pick one. Me? I went with throwing a batarang at their heads to stun them, swinging down, hitting a few times then swinging away before they see me :D I'd love to see the kind of inspirational ideas this game presents the player with once you have Batman's full arsenal
In the jeux videos I seen the guy was always walking up to the mobs to fight them, I would try to be more stealthy and I hope I can be.

panda21

Ephemeris said:
Inverted takedown + cutting rope with batarang to make badguy fall on another badguy = good times. :D

oh shit thats awesome! inverted takedown is so cool. there is a real depth/sandbox quality to what you can do. i'm really hyped for this now.

gliding looks awesome.. is there a way you can smash through the glass and grab someone under you?

Ephemeris

123rl said:

The first guys with the guns? R1 to the gargoyle, swing to another then another, drop down.. then silent takedown on all three.

The last set of guys is definitely more varied. I enjoy the Rope-A-Dope-A-Dope method. ;)

UPpI+3c=.jpg

I think you unlock more ways to take people out as it goes along. It's got some barebones RPG elements in that you can purchase upgrades with XP.

Edit: it also look like it would benefit from being played on a harder difficulty (i.e. it would encourage you to do more than just walk up to goons and pummel them). Seems you can take quite a bit of gunfire before you go down on the default level.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Want to play this game pretty badly :(

Hope it's successful enough for a sequel.

Can hope for a full size Gotham City and ongoing crimes to stop. That's got to be the next step. :D

The demo's pretty good. I love the stealth bits and taking out my enemies that way, but I can't say I'm a fan of the hand-to-hand combat. It's just "counter, attack, takedown" over and over.

They should have put some of the detective stuff in the demo.

Anyone find a way to get to those high vents? I'm guessing there's secrets in there but there's no prompt to use the grapple or anything.

Also, the points: what are they for? XP to unlock new abilities?

Malfunky

RSTEIN said:
HAAHAAH PC ELITISTS WHO'S THE MASTER RACE NOW??? FIRST IT'S BATMAN AND THEN BEFORE YOU KNOW IT PC GAMING WILL BE BACK IN OT! HAHAAHAHAH

If you strike us down, we shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Revolutionary said:
The demo's pretty good. I love the stealth bits and taking out my enemies that way, but I can't say I'm a fan of the hand-to-hand combat. It's just "counter, attack, takedown" over and over.

They should have put some of the detective stuff in the demo.

Anyone find a way to get to those high vents? I'm guessing there's secrets in there but there's no prompt to use the grapple or anything.

Also, the points: what are they for? XP to unlock new abilities?
I think you can unlock new combat moves with XP, but yeah, it does seem fairly basic. I've also seen Batman fire the grapple into higher vents to pull them out in videos, so maybe that's another move you unlock. It might be like Zelda in that different parts of the asylum open up when you acquire a new skill or piece of equipment.

Wollan

I think the demo will win over some people. The game controls well, it's about as good looking UE3 game you can expect, it's dark and moody (although 'pg-13' adjusted).

Even though this is the beginning I feel they managed to keep the tutorial aspect light. It seems like a game where you will want to explore every corner for details and secrets.

BeeDog

Great demo, on line with my expectations after the recent coverage. Batman feels heavy, and the fighting is also heavy and satisfying (albeit a bit easy). The last open-ended area is fun as hell, and I hope the final game is full with similar stuff.

Purchased!

EDIT: speaking of graphics, the image quality is VERY clean (you can see it's actual 720p, though there's some aliasing), and the fps is surprisingly solid (some very minor tearing when panning the larger rooms in the demo). Good shit.

Luigi87

Quite a fun demo.
Kind of wish I didn't watch all those videos of the demo being shown since E3 though, but it was nice to experience it.

My only issues are the camera takes a bit of getting used to (didn't take too long though), and how the cutscenes occur... I dunno why it is, but they feel so seperated from the gameplay to me... I mean, more so than how a cutscene would be in another game.

Ephemeris

At the last part, try leaving some goons alone after taking out most of the others. They start to get terrified and shoot at any little sound out of fear.

At one point the guy's heart was doing 130+ BPM :lol

My job here is done.

Xater

Ok so my judgement is not clouded because it's Batman. I just finished the demo and it's really fun. The room where I could freeform with all the guards was amazing. I loved when on of them was so terrified of me that he walked right into my inverted takedown trap. I think I am going to pre-order this now.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
yeah, on Revolutionary's feed, a goon turned around and shot up some pipes, because the boiler let off some steam.

Top Bottom