• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Truant

I'm impressed.

Great graphics, great voice acting, great pacing so far, and an excellent mood.

The stealth gameplay would have been worth it alone, but coupled with the amazingly simple, but fun, combat system it's looking like a really solid title.

It reminds me of Bioshock in a way, although with cutscenes. Speaking of, is the intro in real time? Looks like it, but the framerate is too good, so I doubt it.

I thought the standard movement controls were a little awkward at first, but I got quickly used to them. Combat is a blast, and you feel really powerful even when fighting many enemies at once. I didn't get a chance to fight the armed dudes, but I got shot at a few times, and it nearly killed me. I like that.

What stole the show for me was the Silent Predator gameplay. Stalking the guys, playing with them - seeing their pulse rise, their status change, is incredibly cool. After taking down all but the last guy in the final room, I just followed him around, seeing him get increasingly paranoid. He even jumped and fired off a few rounds out of terror when a nearby boiler let out a little steam :lol

tass0

Banned
Wtf is wrong with my ps3 guise, the demo is 1.4gig, I have more than that available, but it doesn't let me download it because of not enough memory?..

Xater

Ephemeris said:
Man. Wish there was a hard mode =/

well there will be in the full game. Afaik that even disables the counter hints.

Finding stuff like the Riddler trophy also seems to promise some replay value.

I just played the demo for a second time. Guess that's a sign for a good game. :lol

Wollan

tass0 said:
Wtf is wrong with my ps3 guise, the demo is 1.4gig, I have more than that available, but it doesn't let me download it because of not enough memory?..
You need twice the amount at least (install file doesn't delete itself before after install obviously).

KAOz

Short bus special
Had great fun with this demo. I was very impressed that it felt so smooth. That blew me away completly. For some reason I expected loads of tearing and framedrops, but none came.

The slow-mo got a little annoying at times when fighting, but being super-stealthy and taking them out one by one in various ways made up for it.
Even replayed the last part a couple of times to find more ways to hide and bring terror. Very open-ended in that sense.

If the whole game is as good (and maybe hopefully better), I might acctually dip in on this. Very nice surprise!

JoeFenix

So the cutscenes are pre-rendered uh? Is the encoding really poor like in most UE3 games?

I mean I don't mind it too much if it's encoded correctly and the switch isn't jarring but in something like Gears 2 it was pretty horrible the couple of times they decided to use pre-rendered scenes.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Combat was nice. I hope there's a lot more situational takedowns (like off the ledge, or the inverted one), those were pretty cool.

LiK said:

Did the whole 10-11 hours/day in an office thing for a couple years and it felt like I never saw my kids. 20 minutes in the morning and tucking them in at night when I came home.

Never again.

dayum this game wasn't on my radar at ALL. i had watched one video of it awhile back and assumed it was just a brawler.

but after playing the demo I MUST HAVE THIS!

JoeFenix said:
So the cutscenes are pre-rendered uh? Is the encoding really poor like in most UE3 games?

I mean I don't mind it too much if it's encoded correctly and the switch isn't jarring but in something like Gears 2 it was pretty horrible the couple of times they decided to use pre-rendered scenes.

i wouldn't say they look poor but it is easy noticeable that you're watching a pre-rendered video

on my tv everytime a video played my black levels looked screwy :\

JoeFenix

That's a shame, Uncharted and Ratchet do it right. The Ps3 has huge amounts of space the least they could do is fucking encode their fmv's decently.

Ephemeris

Xater said:
well there will be in the full game. Afaik that even disables the counter hints.

Finding stuff like the Riddler trophy also seems to promise some replay value.

I just played the demo for a second time. Guess that's a sign for a good game. :lol

Oh, I'm aware the full game has it. But didn't the challenge-mode demo have a hard difficulty as an option? :/

Damn, the demo is great: great graphics, great gameplay (combat is simple but super satisfying), great voice acting and so on... only thing that bothered me for a while was how close the camera was when I wasn't fighting but got used of that pretty fast.

About 10-15 minutes from what I can see. The demo is basically what I thought it would be, minus any detective mode stuff or any real boss fights*.

If I was Zsasz I would feel a little pissed that my entire contribution to the game as a villain was being a tutorial for the glide kick. Hopefully he reappears later.
:lol

Lebron

*tears*
This is the Batman game I've been waiting for.

But yes, this demo is such a big tease. I actually yelled out "NOOOOOOO" when it came to an end. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Good stuff. Sweet context sensitive controls and detective vision (albeit I'm afraid I'm gonna play the whole game in that mode, missing on the textures lol) and lovely stealth kills, especially the one from above the gargoyle (screaming victim becomes a decoy btw, nice touch)

:lol @ the Joker playing tricks with the last guy standing in the last room. He was "Terrified" when I finally put him out of misery. Kept shooting in the direction of every noise he was hearing.

Never felt so Batman. Purchase confirmed.

mysticwhip said:
So you can't play the UK demo on a SDTV?

Maybe not on a North American SDTV, due to the PAL/NTSC conflict. But after just downloading it (via my Euro account), I can confirm that it works perfectly on North American HDTVs.

And now, I'm off to Gotham! :D

Tonza

Great demo. The combat feels pretty basic but does it's job.
Voice acting seemed great and atmosphere was great.

Day 1.

I kinda want the armored batsuit preorder bonus though. btw is it only for the challenge maps?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PetriP-TNT said:
Damn, the demo is great: great graphics, great gameplay (combat is simple but super satisfying), great voice acting and so on... only thing that bothered me for a while was how close the camera was when I wasn't fighting but got used of that pretty fast.

Try disabling Camera Assist. Doesn't affect distance, but gives you more control on camera orientation.

Edit: Is this up on the Marketplace? I'm pleased with how it runs on the PS3, but want to compare just for the sake of it. Frame drops when panning camera over the room with Zsasz while standing on the gargoyle.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
pixel monkey said:
Did the whole 10-11 hours/day in an office thing for a couple years and it felt like I never saw my kids. 20 minutes in the morning and tucking them in at night when I came home.

Never again.

so so lucky.

All these impressions makes waiting hurt so much. Now I am thinking I might not go to the gym today.

kle89

Neo Member
how many hours of gameplay is this game suppose to have? Im tempted to get the CE version but i dunno if the ends will justify the means.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
kle89 said:
how many hours of gameplay is this game suppose to have? Im tempted to get the CE version but i dunno if the ends will justify the means.

The CE is 99.99 bucks!!!! If it was 70 I would bite but 100 bucks is overkill for me.

Taurus

Wow, all these positive impressions make me

16actau.jpg

Release date can't come soon enough...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
TTP said:
(albeit I'm afraid I'm gonna play the whole game in that mode, missing on the textures lol)
I think one of the early reviews complained about this, that there was little reason not to have detective mode on all the time. It should blur or something when you move while using it, encouraging you to use it solely as an evaulation tool.

Xater said:
Ok so my judgement is not clouded because it's Batman. I just finished the demo and it's really fun. The room where I could freeform with all the guards was amazing. I loved when on of them was so terrified of me that he walked right into my inverted takedown trap. I think I am going to pre-order this now.

I totally agree. I also like how Batman can't take that much damage, so you gotta stay hidden if the enemies are armed.

Pre-ordering as well.

Xater

Juggernaut said:
I totally agree. I also like how Batman can't take that much damage, so you gotta stay hidden if the enemies are armed.

Pre-ordering as well.

Yep I acutally tried on purpose how deadly the guns are. :lol

Loved the demo.
If Zsasz doesn't appear later, I might be a little mad.

Fluid combat is fluid.
Great production values.
Can't wait.

I thought Batman took too little damage from gunfire! Ah well, there's always Hard mode, which also apparently removes the prompts for counters in melee combat.

Top Bottom