• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

KilgoreTrout said:
Loved the demo.
If Zsasz doesn't appear later, I might be a little mad.

Fluid combat is fluid.
Great production values.
Can't wait.

My guess is that
Zsasz to shows up later with that female doctor as a victim.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
holy. shit.

amazing demo. i can see myself replaying this a couple more times to try some different methods to take down enemies.

detective mode is awesome

Wag

Fascinating how they're pushing back the PC version of the game to "add a feature" to the game that the graphics engine supported to begin with. Another lame-assed moved to focus attention away from the PC towards the console versions.

Oh well, at least I locked in my $40 price at Amazon and will still cancel it if I don't like the demo.

TheFallen

Loved the demo. The controls were a little awkward at first, but it only took a few minutes to get used to them. I didn't notice any tearing issues until i purposely ran in circles and screwed around to test it myself. Even then it was pretty minor. Still, tomorrow I'm gonna put the 360 and PS3 demos side by side.

KilgoreTrout said:
If Zsasz doesn't appear later, I might be a little mad.[/spoiler
if the video after the demo is any indication, he definitely comes back. In the video he's got a knife to someone's throat.

Also did anyone else look at the control settings, maybe I'm reaching here but there's an option for...
Flight controls? hmmm there's flight combat? The Batwing? Maybe it's just referring to gliding but that would be odd.

Revolutionary said:
What?

I took like 20 shots to the face before I went down. :lol

I only managed to kill 1 of 5 enemies when going straight at them. I find them pretty deadly when they all are in the vicinity of eachother.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wag said:
Fascinating how they're pushing back the PC version of the game to "add a feature" to the game that the graphics engine supported to begin with. Another lame-assed moved to focus attention away from the PC towards the console versions.

Oh well, at least I locked in my $40 price at Amazon and will still cancel it if I don't like the demo.

I really doubt that...

lostxii

Really enjoyed the demo, especially at the end when get to start experimenting with the invisible predator mode.

dralla

is there a full move list in the demo? the only move I figured out that wasn't given is the 'corner takedown'..go into cover near a corner and when a guy gets near you, you can knock them unconscious instantly.

Completely blown away at the quality of this game, I was expecting it to be decent but the atmosphere is what really sold it for me. The game is super fun too, sneaking around, scaring the shit out of guys, it all works really well. I wasn't expecting to pick this up, but now I will for sure.

Lebron

If only they included some Begins sound bits

Random Henchman: "WHERE ARE YOU!?!?"
Batman: "Here"

They get pretty close, though. I love when there's only one left and he's flipping his damn mind shooting at nothing. While I just sit there above him stalking and throwing my batarang nearby to taunt him even more. I'll either have it hit an object nearby, or have it hit him but not go in for the final take down. This game is awesome :lol

panda21

Shake Appeal said:
Remember when you were all writing this one off, and laughing about €ido$ paying for good reviews?

Memmmooorrries.

theres a difference between developers making a good game and publishers being all shady.

rocksteady making a good game doesnt change eidos being idiots.

DodgerSan

TheFallen said:
Loved the demo. The controls were a little awkward at first, but it only took a few minutes to get used to them. I didn't notice any tearing issues until i purposely ran in circles and screwed around to test it myself. Even then it was pretty minor. Still, tomorrow I'm gonna put the 360 and PS3 demos side by side.

if the video after the demo is any indication, he definitely comes back. In the video he's got a knife to someone's throat.

Also did anyone else look at the control settings, maybe I'm reaching here but there's an option for...
Flight controls? hmmm there's flight combat? The Batwing? Maybe it's just referring to gliding but that would be odd.

In one video you see him
flying around outside Arkham with a hanglider-type device.
This will likely be sixaxis enabled if you want it.

darkressurection said:
Completely blown away at the quality of this game, I was expecting it to be decent but the atmosphere is what really sold it for me. The game is super fun too, sneaking around, scaring the shit out of guys, it all works really well. I wasn't expecting to pick this up, but now I will for sure.
Sounds like what next gen riddick should have been.

Ephemeris

Shake Appeal said:
About 10-15 minutes from what I can see. The demo is basically what I thought it would be, minus any detective mode stuff or any real boss fights*.

If I was Zsasz I would feel a little pissed that my entire contribution to the game as a villain was being a tutorial for the glide kick. Hopefully he reappears later.
:lol

I used to do that, until I accidentally hit X and glided down behind him.

Then I proceeded to use silent takedown. Much more satisfying. :lol

Like standing behind the guy who's talking to
Joker on the screen
. I stand there, inches away the whole time until the convo is over.

Then I put 'im to sleep.

TheFallen

So much fun being Batman. Hang from a gargoyle, wait for someone to walk under you, do a hanging takedown. Then switch to another gargoyle, wait for someone to walk under the hanging guard and throw a batarang at the rope. Funny to see their reaction when their friend falls on them!

I had almost no interest in this until this demo, now I'm sold. So much fun taking out those guards at the end.

Kunan said:
All these positive impressions are making me anxious for the PS3 demo
Get it from the Euro store!

DAY FUCKING ONE/WAL MART AT MIDNIGHT! Arkham Asylum is my FAVORITE graphic novel of all time. Can definitely tell this was inspired by it. Just can't wait!

TheFallen said:
So much fun being Batman. Hang from a gargoyle, wait for someone to walk under you, do a hanging takedown. Then switch to another gargoyle, wait for someone to walk under the hanging guard and throw a batarang at the rope. Funny to see their reaction when their friend falls on them!

do want.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Enjoyable demo. Not sure if I'd say 'holy shit amazing' though.

The last bit with the 4 guards and the swooping from gargoyle to gargoyle and glide kicking etc. was the best bit, the bit where i 'felt like batman'. The rest was kind of fairly run-of-the-mill beating up baddies stuff.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
Enjoyable demo. Not sure if I'd say 'holy shit amazing' though.

The last bit with the 4 guards and the swooping from gargoyle to gargoyle and glide kicking etc. was the best bit, the bit where i 'felt like batman'. The rest was kind of fairly run-of-the-mill beating up baddies stuff.
I LOVE the brawling.

It's too easy. It's too simple - I mean that you just press a button and then you do a lethal thing (like gide kicking) also the on ground combat is easy, square square square, triangle, that's it. Also the stealth kills are deadly but all you have to do is crouch and press triangle. The bat claw throwing things aren't that good and are pointless.

Am I the only one on this thread who doesn't think it's that good?

dralla

in the last room, in the glass roofed area there's a trap door area you can go in and hide. and has anyone been able to use the glass at all? im guessing you can throw the batarang at it to break and distract guards

^^keep in mind this is from the very beginning of the game, you don't have many gadgets and the levels will most likely get more complicated.

dralla said:
in the last room, in the glass roofed area there's a trap door area you can go in and hide. and has anyone been able to use the glass at all? im guessing you can throw the batarang at it to break and distract guards
Just stand on top of the glass and a Triangle prompt will pop up when an enemy walks under you.

Ephemeris said:
Just found another Riddler trophy in the room where
Zsasz
was.
Yep. There's only 2 as far as I know.

Then there's 2 high vents I can't reach and an explodable wall. I'm trying to get my XP high enough so I can upgrade something but it doesn't seem like it's possible in the demo. :lol

Well this game has gone from 'vaguely interested' to day 1, solid combat for what it needs to be but the end section of the demo sold me. Hopefully there are lots of sections like that, I got such a kick at hanging over 3 guys as they walked past and picking the last one off each time they came by :D

Top Bottom