• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I finished the story. Pretty good, although the end was a little disappointing. Cat woman seemed shoehorned. Slightly integrated to make people buy it, but not enough since some won't buy it.

Side missions make the game though, from the larger ones to the small happenings and riddler trophies. As to riddler trophies, how do you do the pressure switch ones? Do you have to weigh them down, or is it a certain order? I cant seem to figure it out.

Edit: Wrong thread. My apologies.

LQX

So I finished the story. Pretty good, although the end was a little disappointing. Cat woman seemed shoehorned. Slightly integrated to make people buy it, but not enough since some won't buy it.

Side missions make the game though, from the larger ones to the small happenings and riddler trophies. As to riddler trophies, how do you do the pressure switch ones? Do you have to weigh them down, or is it a certain order? I cant seem to figure it out.

How are you playing it for the PC already?

Sober

How are you playing it for the PC already?

Pretty sure you can b-line through the main storyline and ignore the open world.

You can find a retailer that broke the street date (or I suppose if you work there) and snag a copy. Apparently if you try to activate it (unlock w/ securom) it fails and then you can try it again and it'll forget the fact that it still isn't the 22nd/25th.

LQX

Pretty sure you can b-line through the main storyline and ignore the open world.

You can find a retailer that broke the street date (or I suppose if you work there) and snag a copy. Apparently if you try to activate it (unlock w/ securom) it fails and then you can try it again and it'll forget the fact that it still isn't the 22nd/25th.

Even then its ridiculous to end the game in one day. Its good 10-15 hour game.

Facism

so retail doesn't use steam??

Sober

so retail doesn't use steam??
Batman: Arkham City isn't Steamworks retail supported (i.e. "can I use my CD Key I bought from X on Steam to activate"). Fortunately the Steam version does take advantage of Steam cloud for saves and achievements if you like extra popups. That's about it though, plus I hope the DLC is put on Steam for obvious reasons (sale time).

Otherwise all copies of the game use SecuROM for activation and DRM (fat load that did) and GFWL to occasionally annoy the living crap out of you (more successful that securom in that respect).

Wag

Watch...ATI version with no Crossfire support.

Damn you ATI. DAMN YOU!!!

Never again. They really suck. Next time I invest in multi-GPU setup it's Nvidia all the way.

Sober

Steamworks integration is limited to the Steam version.
This is where I wish Steam and Valve would add a "Retail support" tag along with all the other features of the game (SP, MP, Coop, controller support, stats, etc.) just so people would not have to ask that question or sift through the support site.

Steamworks is a suite that developers can take advantage of though I think most people misattribute the retail support feature encompassing everything (though they occasionally do). But there are examples of games that use other parts of Steamworks even though they do not have retail support (Psychonauts is a good recent example)..

Time to get out the pitchforks and run AndyD out of town.

Batman: Arkham City isn't Steamworks retail supported (i.e. "can I use my CD Key I bought from X on Steam to activate"). Fortunately the Steam version does take advantage of Steam cloud for saves and achievements if you like extra popups. That's about it though, plus I hope the DLC is put on Steam for obvious reasons (sale time).

I had this fantasy that the reason for the delay was that they were trying to swing a non-exclusive DLC deal with Microsoft and Valve which would see DLC and patches come from the service for which the player purchased the game; i.e. Steam players would have it come through Steam, retail players via GFWL. It was a nice dream, I was smiling when I woke up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Watch...ATI version with no Crossfire support.

Damn you ATI. DAMN YOU!!!

Never again. They really suck. Next time I invest in multi-GPU setup it's Nvidia all the way.

Replacing my HD 5750 (which itself replaced a 2900 XT) with a GTX 570 is one of the wisest decisions of my life. Being on the other side of the fence has opened my eyes to how criminally poor AMD/ATi's driver support is in general (in regard to OpenGL in particular, they've never been able to grasp it).

JaseC

Well, it was also a 5750.

The 5750 actually served me well as I avoided most recent/new games, knowing it wasn't up to the task. This meant I didn't experience any driver issues as proper support for the games I did play had long been provided.

scitek

The 5750 actually served me well as I avoided most recent/new games, knowing it wasn't up to the task. This meant I didn't experience any driver issues as proper support for the games I did play had long been provided.

Ah, well I always wait for new games to drop in price before picking them up, so I'm kind of in the same boat. I was given a review copy of Rage, though, and had to wait 4 days post-release just to be able to start playing it. lol

JaseC

Ah, well I always wait for new games to drop in price before picking them up, so I'm kind of in the same boat. I was given a review copy of Rage, though, and had to wait 4 days post-release just to be able to start playing it. lol

I couldn't imagine putting up with that. AMD seem incapable of properly supporting a game on release unless it was developed with them in mind (e.g. DE: HR).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone getting this on Origin?

I don't really see why anyone would. It doesn't have a price or feature advantage against the Steam or Retail version.

You'd either have to have a weird bias against Steam or a weird preference for Origin. Or both.

so I went to target to pick up some groceries and girlfriend and I went to the video game section and Lo and behold... three copies of Arkham City for the PC! so I get to the counter and have the game ringed up... NO SALE it says in big red letters on the screen. do not sell until 11/22, so the cashier makes her apologies and takes the game away "it wasn't supposed to be out, I'm sorry" ugh gut punched I now await....

Chesskid1

Banned
anyway to automate the download since it looks like there isn't a preload? will prolly not be around when it unlocks and it's 17.5GB so it'll be a good 5-6 hr download prolly, so i'll get home then wait :(. arkham asylum was one of my fave games and i beat it 3 times, and that's with a huge backlog. love it.

less then 2 days left! i've avoided a ton of media/spoilers.

Nabs

anyway to automate the download since it looks like there isn't a preload? will prolly not be around when it unlocks and it's 17.5GB so it'll be a good 5-6 hr download prolly, so i'll get home then wait :(. arkham asylum was one of my fave games and i beat it 3 times, and that's with a huge backlog. love it.

less then 2 days left! i've avoided a ton of media/spoilers.

18 gigs, what?! How is there no preload?

hlhbk

Sell it and buy the game used for 360/ps3 as a fuck you to rocksteady for dicking us like this. That's what I'd do if I hadn't already activated mine.

Um I want to play the best version of the game. While the delay is unfortunate and WB really blew this launch on PC I have full faith in Rocksteady. BTW I don't blame Rocksteady at all. While there was a delay for AA we were kept in loop with all updates on the Eidos forums. The lack of info comes from WB now running this crap.

2 more days til release... fuck you Warner Bros for the delays, thank you Rocksteady for (hopefully) making a great PC versuin that's worth the wait.

JaseC

Did that months ago, still staring.

I hope the title is eventually corrected.

Edit: For those unaware, it's not wrong per se, but the game is labelled "Batman: Arkham City™ PC" instead of simply "Batman: Arkham City".

If I'm doing nothing else online, I get a lightning fast 208kb/s but seeing as someone is almost always doing something online, my average download speed isn't too far from that.

I'm having horrific flashbacks to my days of 1.5Mbit/256Kbit and 512Kbit/128Kbit connections.

Jtrizzy

I just hope the game is playable at launch, especially considering the delay. Seems like most PC games get released with all kinds of bugs and other various issues.

JaseC

Yeah, and the fact that the store page isn't correct sort of worries me.

That doesn't worry me for the moment as the auxiliary links for my AC: Revelations pre-order also go nowhere.

I just hope the game is playable at launch, especially considering the delay. Seems like most PC games get released with all kinds of bugs and other various issues.

I'm sure nvidia users will continue their time-honoured tradition of being able to play new releases on launch day.

Top Bottom