• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

I've seen the game running flawlessly in DX11 on high-end AMD/NVIDIA GPUs via a WB rep for work, so the 5fps performance on tri-580 SLI in the Steam launch version has to be a bug they've somehow missed.

Really, incredibly sloppy considering all the delays.

Must have been DX9, because they look exactly the same. :p

mug

my graphics card is finally showing it's age, it's a HD 4770 512Mb, any tips on a good upgrade around the £100 mark that will run this well?

Depends on what res you're going for. If you want to stick with ATI try the 6850. The next card up from yours is the 6790.

Kyaw

Anyone else bought from GMG and still can't download yet?

I've received the key but don't see the download option on the client or the website.

inky

Qm5gp.png

Third time today. Yay!

so I'm going to struggle with SLI 580 and Oc'd i5 2500K at 4.5Ghz? the fuck?

Not an issue of power, trust me. DX11 is just bugged the fuck out and broken right now. DX9 looks the same and runs like butter. On a single GTX 570/4.5 Ghz 2500k setup I'm running maxed, 1080p, 32x CSAA and it's locked at 60 FPS. Very nice.

aett

I had to switch from DX11 to 9, and the detail from "very high" to "high", but it runs at 60fps and I haven't had any crashes so far. I've got a 560 Ti.

so I'm going to struggle with SLI 580 and Oc'd i5 2500K at 4.5Ghz? the fuck?
Shoulda bought superior console version. That taught you!

Just run it in DX9. Doesn't look like DX11 adds much (if anything) from pics a few pages back.

Which fucking sucks, don't get me wrong, but this whole PC release has been a joke so it doesn't surprise me.

Jubbly

I had to switch from DX11 to 9, and the detail from "very high" to "high", but it runs at 60fps and I haven't had any crashes so far. I've got a 560 Ti.

Turn to 9 and put it back up to Very High, you will have no problems and increase texture res.

Stitch

Gold Member
oh wow, normal physx manages to cut my fps in half sometimes. mhhh smooth 60fps or dips to 30 with some papers flying around mhh...
i choose you, smooth fps! ^_^

Yes. I've tweaked the game's FOV. Set it to either 110 or 125 in the ini files.

oh god please tell how to do this! the FOV sucks ;_;

edit: well actually it's only really bad when you're walking :|

SlickVic

Regarding the GMG stuff, I ordered back in August and I could swear it said it was Steamworks on the product page then. Can anyone back me up on that (seems like everyone who has said ordered it September) or have I conflated that with the many confirmations that came around the time that said it would be Steamworks?

Might be wrong, but I don't recall anyone confirming Steamworks. GMG was claiming at the end of August that the game wouldn't use GFWL (which turned out to be false) but even then, don't think any talk about Steamworks was anything more than speculation.

Derrick01

Banned
Amazing. I lowered the resolution to try to resolve the stuttering and it's even worse. We definitely need some patches and new drivers, anything to help this POS.

kamspy

Game runs good for me.

AMD 1055Tx6 @ 3.5Ghz
EVGA 580 GTX SC
8 GB DDR3

First time I booted it up I tried to max it out completely (well, only 8xCSAA, love the in game option for 32x though). Game ran around 30fps with drops. I'm opting for DX9 right now. Keeping PhysX on High and everything else maxed nets me 60fps aside from certain outdoor areas.

Wondering if I should cut down the PhsyX or the AA to get a constant 60fps.

Is there a PhysX comparison out there anywhere? Also, I have a 460 GTX I could use for a PhysX card. Where can I get a cheap SLI bridge? Do I even need one? Come to think of it, I've got a 275 GTX I could use as a PhysX card. I assume that would be enough for high? I know it "recommends" a 460, but I have to figure a 275 can handle the PhsyX computations.

Loving the game. Luckily not having many problems with the performance.

Nekofrog

Banned
BSOD.

I think.

I had it on, went away and turned my TV off, came back and my computer had rebooted.

Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz, 8GB RAM, and a Radeon HD6870. Awful performance on DX11.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Game runs the benchmark at a solid 58-60 with triple buffering for me.(forced on in Inspector)

I get about the same fps in the benchmark results with FXAA and 4xMSAA.

Running:

Phenom II x6 1055t(disabled 2 cores)@ 4.0ghz
GTX 260 core 216 overclocked a little bit.
4GB DDR3 RAM

KePoW

Banned
For all of you that had BSOD, was it always in DX11 or even in DX9?

At this point I don't care about DX11 mode, so if it only happens there then that's fine.

Derrick01

Banned
Game runs the benchmark at a solid 58-60 with triple buffering for me.(forced on in Inspector)

I get about the same fps in the benchmark results with FXAA and 4xMSAA.

Running:

Phenom II x6 1055t(disabled 2 cores)@ 4.0ghz
GTX 260 core 216 overclocked a little bit.
4GB DDR3 RAM

The benchmark said my average was 59 fps with a low of like 50.

But when I played the actual game and got out in the world it was stutter city. Lots of drops to 35-40 fps that lasted a couple of seconds before going back to normal. And that's with a GTX 470. If they could patch out most of that the game would run great for me, and it's starting to get kinda fun too but the stuttering really hinders my enjoyment.

Bebpo

Banned
Does the game look/run worse than the last one? Because I heard the last one had a superior top-notch PC version that looked better than the console versions and ran smoother on normal hardware (didn't play it on pc, so don't know personally).

Been waiting on the PC version for this one, but now I'm thinking I should wait until all these tech problems get sorted out.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
The benchmark said my average was 59 fps with a low of like 50.

But when I played the actual game and got out in the world it was stutter city. Lots of drops to 35-40 fps that lasted a couple of seconds before going back to normal. And that's with a GTX 470. If they could patch out most of that the game would run great for me, and it's starting to get kinda fun too but the stuttering really hinders my enjoyment.

I just got done playing the first 30mins and it has been smooth as butter so far. Need to tweak the FoV and I'm set.

Also keep in mind I'm running the game w/o physx and stuff. My card only supports up to DX 10.1 iirc.

inky

Does the game look/run worse than the last one? Because I heard the last one had a superior top-notch PC version that looked better than the console versions and ran smoother on normal hardware (didn't play it on pc, so don't know personally).

Been waiting on the PC version for this one, but now I'm thinking I should wait until all these tech problems get sorted out.

DX11 seems to be busted and unplayable with any setup, but the game runs fine in DX9 mode and looks quite good. The crashes I've had so far all have been while launching the game/initial loading a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ [disregard that, it just crashed again during a cutscene] but it has crashed around 6 times total now. You could probably wait and see for a few days to see what comes up. Also, I have an Nvidia card and Ati seems to have more problems, so consider that.

On a single GTX 480 here.

I'm just going to play DX9 but utilize the perfect 3D Vision implementation and put PhysX onto normal - framerates are quite solid with both of those enabled. DX11 was a buggy mess, however.

Struct09

The game does give both Steam and Live achievements. A first of its kind I believe.

It's been running fine for me, no performance complaints.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Getting a nice locked 60 fps on a 460 1gb.

Settings:
DX9, Physx Off, FXAA, no AO

Tesselation seems to cause random fps drops, the ambient occlusion looks like shit and FXAA honestly looks better than any form of MSAA in this game. Oh and the physx stuff looks atrocious too.

Settings:

Tesselation seems to cause random fps drops, the ambient occlusion looks like shit and FXAA honestly looks better than any form of MSAA in this game. Oh and the physx stuff looks atrocious too.

You're high, right? FXAA causes blur. 32x CSAA looks great, just needs transparency AA.

Mrbob

Settings:

You're getting a locked 60fps with a 460? I'm not getting a locked 60fps with a gtx 470. I get up to 60fps but there are drops.

What is your CPU? Wonder if that is the difference. I have a Q9550 at 3.2ghz.

hlhbk

Man I could run Batman AA at 1920x1200 at 60 FPS with everything on max and Physx on high. In AC the framerate is all over the place, and this is in DX9 mode on normal physx!

You're getting a locked 60fps with a 460? I'm not getting a locked 60fps with a gtx 470. I get up to 60fps but there are drops.

He's also using FXAA which has a next to nothing performance cost and he turned off AO. Also you might be playing at different resolutions.

Derrick01

Banned

Settings:

Yeah I'm running it on the same settings on a slightly better card but with no AA at all and I'm getting the stuttering. Really hope my card isn't dying on me.

Mrbob said:

Ahh a fellow 470 victim. Do you have phsyx off completely? Having it on at all can really hurt sometimes. I have about the same kind of CPU, slightly slower but negligible difference. Are you getting the random stutters and drops too? At first I thought it was during new parts of the city being loaded but when I fly around in circles it drops. It also seems to drop when it's saving a checkpoint and picking up riddler trophies/destroying cameras too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Settings:

Post screens of your Benchmark.
Im finding a little hard to stomach that a GTX460 can lock this game at 60 even in DX9 mode.

I also find it funny that everything that all the "high" quality settings you hate.....HBAO looks like shit, MSAA doesnt look as good as FXAA(lol) and all the PhysX stuff looks atrocious.......haha funny.

mercenar1e said:
how do you start the game in DX 10?
This game doesnt support DX10.
I dont think any game has supported DX10 for some time now

Top Bottom