• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Post screens of your Benchmark.
Im finding a little hard to stomach that a GTX460 can lock this game at 60 even in DX9 mode.

I also find it funny that everything that all the "high" quality settings you hate.....HBAO looks like shit, MSAA doesnt look as good as FXAA(lol) and all the PhysX stuff looks atrocious.......haha funny.

This game doesnt support DX10.
I dont think any game has supported DX10 for some time now

my 460 is running the game on DX9 at 70FPS

Derrick01

Banned
Post screens of your Benchmark.
Im finding a little hard to stomach that a GTX460 can lock this game at 60 even in DX9 mode.

I also find it funny that everything that all the "high" quality settings you hate.....HBAO looks like shit, MSAA doesnt look as good as FXAA(lol) and all the PhysX stuff looks atrocious.......haha funny.

Well with AA and physx off my 470 can run the game at 60fps with all of the other options turned on and that's not a ton better than a 460. It's just the frequent and random stutters that prevent it from a locked 60. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else is having these problems on a nvidia machine. The in game benchmark is misleading because it had me at 59 average.

Holy fuck this game SO. FUCKING. GOOOD!!!!
Shame DirectX 11 stuff stutters on my machine... Hope they fix that soon.
In the mean time GOD THIS GAME IS SSSSOOOO FFFUCCCKING GOOOD!!!!

Sober

BTW if anyone noticed you can access the steam store from ingame, so basically DLC should be coming to steam eventually.

hows the nvidia csaa settiing? is it better than msaa 8x? i have a gtx 580 3gb so i can max out my AA

Yes, it's just a higher quality 8x MSAA. 32x CSAA doesn't look hugely better, but it's nice to know you're using the best AA available. All I need to do now is figure out what's up with the transparency AA and why it doesn't work/uses its own transparency bit.

XOMTOR

Man, can't believe this release could get any worse. I though surely the game would be solid considering it's Rocksteady but....

My game downloaded via Steam long ago but I'm not gonna bother installing; waaayyy too many reports of unplayable games to think I'd be different, especially with the triple-layer DRM slathered on top. Oh well, not like there isn't a ton of other games to be played right now I guess. Man I feel bad for those of you that are trying to play this thing.

Seems to have unlocked for AU but it's store page is currently unavailable despite being listed under new releases. Not sure what's going on there.

Mrbob

Ahh a fellow 470 victim. Do you have phsyx off completely? Having it on at all can really hurt sometimes. I have about the same kind of CPU, slightly slower but negligible difference. Are you getting the random stutters and drops too? At first I thought it was during new parts of the city being loaded but when I fly around in circles it drops. It also seems to drop when it's saving a checkpoint and picking up riddler trophies/destroying cameras too.

I had physx on before, didn't realize it. My frame rate jumped significantly with it off. I get a pretty solid 60 now on High and FXAA, but there are still larger city views when you grapple that the frame rate spikes down to like 37 according to fraps.

I get the occasional random drop or stutter too, like when doing a VR mission the frame rate goes down big time for a second while it loads. Seems a bit like a shoddy port to me. Shame on Rocksteady.

Devs are aware of DX11 issues and have made a statement:

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/10585-PC-DirectX-11-Issues-Please-Read

PC DirectX 11 Issues Please Read
We have received reports of performance issues from players of Batman: Arkham City on PC. After researching the matter, we found that running the game with DX 11 is causing the performance issues. We’re working on a title update to address this matter and expect to make it available in the near future.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue is to run the game with DX 9 instead of DX 11. Instructions on how to turn off DX 11 are listed below.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your gameplay experience and thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

Instructions for changing DX 11 to DX 9
The Launcher can be accessed on Games for Windows LIVE and Steam to change DX 11 to DX 9 in the Settings menu.
Change both DirectX 11 Features and DirectX 11 Tessellation to OFF.

Games for Windows LIVE
Start > All Programs > Games > Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher > Settings
1. Open the Start Menu
2. Select All Programs and then the Games folder
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher
4. Choose Settings then click on the arrow next to DX options to change
Steam:
Launch Steam Client > Library > Right click on Batman: Arkham City > Configure PC Options
1. Open Steam
2. Select Library
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Configure PC Options

Nice workaround, except we already figured it out. Lame.

Edit: ninja'd

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/10585-PC-DirectX-11-Issues-Please-Read

We have received reports of performance issues from players of Batman: Arkham City on PC. After researching the matter, we found that running the game with DX 11 is causing the performance issues. We’re working on a title update to address this matter and expect to make it available in the near future.

In the meantime, a workaround for this issue is to run the game with DX 9 instead of DX 11. Instructions on how to turn off DX 11 are listed below.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your gameplay experience and thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

Instructions for changing DX 11 to DX 9
The Launcher can be accessed on Games for Windows LIVE and Steam to change DX 11 to DX 9 in the Settings menu.
Change both DirectX 11 Features and DirectX 11 Tessellation to OFF.

Games for Windows LIVE
Start > All Programs > Games > Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher > Settings
1. Open the Start Menu
2. Select All Programs and then the Games folder
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Launcher
Steam:
Launch Steam Client > Library > Right click on Batman: Arkham City > Configure PC Options
1. Open Steam
2. Select Library
3. Right click on Batman: Arkham City and select Configure PC Options

scitek

I like that they were able to determine the problem is running the game. LOL, you'd think with an extra month that one wouldn't have slipped by...

Derrick01

Banned
The game's running a little better for me now that I downloaded the latest nvidia beta drivers, even though they didn't have any batman fixes in them *shrug*. Still stutters a bit but not as bad. I hope their patch fixes some of that shit too and not just the DX11 stuff.

suikodan

Anyone here have problems after the GFWL check where it tells you about the Automatic Saving thingy? My game crashes right after pressing the A button.

WORKAROUND: I've read that it's related to the location of the MY DOCUMENTS. Mine's on Drive E: and I can't move it back to the C: Drive for some reasons. I've created another profile on my machine and now it works.

Hopefully this will get fixed... I find it pretty stupid to create another profile just for this game. Hopefully I can transfer it back to my main user profile when/if the problem gets fixed.

And the game takes forever to launch, reminds me of The Witcher 2. :p

I'll bring you up to speed: if you're using DX11 mode, turn it off and you should get good performance out of that kind of rig. It appears that everyone is affected by DX11 mode being janky as hell, which, in a way, is kind of good, meaning that it may be something that can be fixed with a patch and is not an underlying problem with the game or a specific problem with a certain set of user hardware.

DX9!? Why don't I just buy a fucking Wii and a comfy couch!?

SlickVic

For some reason there's a purple line running on the right side of the screen:

AbtgWl.jpg

Present in menus, goes away whenever the game loads, and then returns when the game starts. Using the nVidia 285.79 drivers. Kinda strange and not sure what's causing it.

Edit: Seems to go away when I bump the resolution down from my laptop's native 1366x768 to 1280x720.

inky

:snip:

And the game takes forever to launch, reminds me of The Witcher 2. :p

Hmm... having the My Documents folder on another drive being an issue might explain why the game keeps crashing on me. Yeah, the launch thing could be securom as well, and GFWL takes a long time to sign in as well. I don't really feel like playing anymore for the day.

*takes deep breaths*

alphaNoid

Banned
Its depressing how many games these days desperately need day 1 patches, even ones from quality devs.

You must be new to PC gaming. Its been this way for at least 15 years, the glory years of PC gaming was pre 1995, and to be honest, the earliest of the 90s. With the advent of the internet, patches have infected the industry and allowed publishers to push release dates onto developers with the idea of patching later.

The only recent PC game I've played with zero day 1 issues was BF3. Everything else in recent and long term memory (for me) has been a disaster. But again, I expect this, I"ve been building gaming PCs and PCs in general since the mid 80s.

L00P

I have no problems at all while playing it, but I'm sorta disappointed that the frame rate isn't as smooth as Arkham Asylum's. I'm only playing on DX9, too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Haven't had any issues playing it. Absolutely gorgeous game, even though I hate the "steroid" art direction. And the melee combat is just so much fun.

So. Whole computer just went to fucking shit after like 15 minutes maybe. Reset the whole computer. Haven't had that problem before, so I'm guessing it was the game some how. Going to try a little Battlefield 3 and see if it happens, if it doen't I'll jump back into Arkham City and see if it happens again.

EDIT: Reading the BF3 thread, maybe it's not the best game to test out since the patch. Fucking developers and PC games...

SlickVic

game is taking ages to unzip on GMG anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, the whole process seems to take forever. First it downloads that massive 16gb file, then creates a zip file from it, and after that tries to install it. Rather inefficient and eats up quite a bit of hard drive space just to install. Also be sure remove the download and zip files once it's done installing, because both of those combined take up 30GB.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I said AO, not HBAO. I am not using DX11 so why would I be talking about HBAO? Or did you not read my post? The basic AO available in DX9 does look like shit.

And Physx looks like shit on an artistic level. It sticks out like a sore thumb as it was clearly never part of the initial game design.

Yeah, the whole process seems to take forever. First it downloads that massive 16gb file, then creates a zip file from it, and after that tries to install it. Rather inefficient and eats up quite a bit of hard drive space just to install. Also be sure remove the download and zip files once it's done installing, because both of those combined take up 30GB.

wow thanks.

Chesskid1

Banned
is there anyway you could show AO off and on? i could try it myself, at least tell me what to look for? i have it on and would like to hear what you hate about it. i dont know too much about all the graphic stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
^

Top pic is FXAA.

Bottom is 32X CSAA.

FXAA appears to have less aliasing, but the textures are slightly blurred (though it's quite minimal). Usually though, FXAA doesn't fare quite as well in motion, as distant aliasing tends to shimmer quite a bit, even though it looks good in stills.

How does this play with KB/M? Should I grab my 360 controller?

I thought Arkham Asylum played great with KB/M. I'm sure I'm one of the few, but I actually preferred it to the 360 controller.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought Arkham Asylum played great with KB/M. I'm sure I'm one of the few, but I actually preferred it to the 360 controller.
My brother did the same and he was pleased with it.

is there anyway you could show AO off and on? or at least tell me what to look for? i have it on and would like to hear what you hate about it. i dont know too much about all the graphic stuff.
It's low sample AO, look at where Batman's cap meets his back:

batmanac2011-11-2300-mxuta.png

TheExodu5

Banned
BTW, I know I said the top pic has slightly blurred textures, but when I say slightly, I really mean slightly. That's probably the best FXAA I've seen...it would be hard to pic out the texture blur in an A/B test.

UrbanRats

So aside from the DX11 stuff, the game runs ok? Batman AA ran great on my i5+5850, but i'm worried about this one.

@Stallion: :eek:, is that Bokeh DoF? Is it dx11 only?

Jtrizzy

Game runs great for me, even on DX9 it's still pretty damn beautiful.

2600k@4.4/580 1.5
Physx on normal, everything in high with AA down a notch...Not sure which AA I should be using.

Top Bottom