• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So aside from the DX11 stuff, the game runs ok? Batman AA ran great on my i5+5850, but i'm worried about this one.

@Stallion: :eek:, is that Bokeh DoF? Is it dx11 only?

He's running the game in DX9:

I said AO, not HBAO. I am not using DX11 so why would I be talking about HBAO? Or did you not read my post? The basic AO available in DX9 does look like shit.

And Physx looks like shit on an artistic level. It sticks out like a sore thumb as it was clearly never part of the initial game design.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying the game thus far; it was probably the only thing to drag me away from Skyrim. I will say it's more fun in certain respects, BUT I will say I missed the rooms of baddies that made for setting traps fun.

SlickVic

Probably missing something obvious here, but how do you tell what version of DX the game is running in? I went into settings with the Launcher but not seeing anything that indicates changing to DX 9 or 11.

TheExodu5

Banned
Probably missing something obvious here, but how do you tell what version of DX the game is running in? I went into settings with the Launcher but not seeing anything that indicates changing to DX 9 or 11.

There's an option called DX 11 Features or something like that. Should be pretty easy to spot.

It runs in DX9 if you don't turn on the DX11 features in the settings menu. To confirm this, you can run MSI Afterburner which will tell you which API you are running in its OSD.

Zimbardo

anyone get to the part where
two face has catwoman hanging upside down and there's a bunch of guys there watching,
etc? ?

with physx on high or normal at that part, the framerate suffers. physx off and its perfect 60fps.

changing physx from 'high' to 'normal' at that part seems to do nothing for the framerate. seems about 30fps or so. only turning it off completely will it get the 60fps.

i assume its the steam (or whatever it is) on the ground there making the frames drop.

anyway, long story short ...fucking annoying.

will never pre order anything from these cunts again. hope they patch this turd up quickly.

Blizzard

Banned
anyone get to the part where
two face has catwoman hanging upside down and there's a bunch of guys there watching,
etc? ?

with physx on high or normal at that part, the framerate suffers. physx off and its perfect 60fps.

changing physx from 'high' to 'normal' at that part seems to do nothing for the framerate. seems about 30fps or so. only turning it off completely will it get the 60fps.

i assume its the steam (or whatever it is) on the ground there making the frames drop.

anyway, long story short ...fucking annoying.

will never pre order anything from these cunts again. hope they patch this turd up quickly.
Just to make sure I understand correctly...you're getting 60 fps elsewhere, you feel that the framerate in one part is 30 fps, and your verdict is that

1. It's "fucking annoying"
2. The developers/publishers are "cunts"
3. The game is a "turd"

Is that correct? :/ What system components do you have (especially processor and graphics card)? Fraps is free if you want to verify the framerate, by the way.

Chairhome

Game is fun. Only did a little bit of the campaign and a challenge map, but I like it so far. Controls are a little weird, but I'll get used to them (I keep pressing LB to run. Damn you Skyrim). Game looks great though, I get the occasional stutter, but nothing bad, smooth everywhere else.

Zimbardo

Just to make sure I understand correctly...you're getting 60 fps elsewhere, you feel that the framerate in one part is 30 fps, and your verdict is that

1. It's "fucking annoying"
2. The developers/publishers are "cunts"
3. The game is a "turd"

Is that correct? :/ What system components do you have (especially processor and graphics card)? Fraps is free if you want to verify the framerate, by the way.

well my frustration is hardly just because of that one part in the game. its that in combination with the fact that the game was hyped for its Physx effects and its DX11 features, etc ...which are totally broken. so ya, i'm kinda pissed off about it all, especially after having to wait an extra 5 weeks and no pre load, etc.

so i'm currently running DX9, 1080p, vsync'd, everything maxed ...FXAA (high) or 4xMSAA don't seem to matter performance wise in my situation. performance is the same from what i can see with those anti aliasing settings.

running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 GTX560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to Physx) ...SLI doesn't seem to matter much, if at all at this point.

game seemed to be running fine until i got to that part with Catwoman ...then it took a nice nosedive. pretty disappointing to see that in DX9 with a dedicated physx card.

i remember nvidia showing a video of 1 gtx560 (ti version i think) running the game with physx enabled vs a 8800GT with it not enabled. the 560 was running perfectly fine.

i would think that i should have this shit covered with 2 cards ...its just super annoying after the long wait, the no pre load, the fucked up DX11 ...and now the final slap in the kisser is that i probably wont be able to enjoy PhysX to its fullest even in DX9 with 2 cards.

Yeah, so 2x GTX 570 can't manage PhysX high at 60fps. That's a shame. I loved the PhysX stuff in AA. Oh well.

Set PhysX to run on the 2nd GTX 570.

Then go to bmengine.ini and change these variables to look like this:

Code:
PhysXGpuHeapSize=128
PhysXMeshCacheSize=16

If you're going to dedicate one GTX 570 to PhysX and have the other one be primary and NOT run SLI, try these:

Code:
PhysXGpuHeapSize=256
PhysXMeshCacheSize=32

See if that increases PhysX performance.

Blizzard

Banned
well my frustration is hardly just because of that one part in the game. its that in combination with the fact that the game was hyped for its Physx effects and its DX11 features, etc ...which are totally broken. so ya, i'm kinda pissed off about it all, especially after having to wait an extra 5 weeks and no pre load, etc.

so i'm currently running DX9, 1080p, vsync'd, everything maxed ...FXAA (high) or 4xMSAA don't seem to matter performance wise in my situation. performance is the same from what i can see with those anti aliasing settings.

running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 GTX560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to Physx) ...SLI doesn't seem to matter much, if at all at this point.

game seemed to be running fine until i got to that part with Catwoman ...then it took a nice nosedive. pretty disappointing to see that in DX9 with a dedicated physx card.

i remember nvidia showing a video of 1 gtx560 (ti version i think) running the game with physx enabled vs a 8800GT with it not enabled. the 560 was running perfectly fine.

i would think that i should have this shit covered with 2 cards ...its just super annoying after the long wait, the no pre load, the fucked up DX11 ...and now the final slap in the kisser is that i probably wont be able to enjoy PhysX to its fullest even in DX9 with 2 cards.
Gotcha. Thanks for the additional info. I've been cynical since I've been running ATI for years so I never really expect PhysX stuff to be workable in games, but you have nice cards.

Struct09

Really liking the game so far, feels good to FINALLY be playing it

So aside from the DX11 stuff, the game runs ok? Batman AA ran great on my i5+5850, but i'm worried about this one.

@Stallion: :eek:, is that Bokeh DoF? Is it dx11 only?

AC is running at a solid 60fps in DX9 with my i7 + 5850 @ 1080p

Zimbardo

Gotcha. Thanks for the additional info. I've been cynical since I've been running ATI for years so I never really expect PhysX stuff to be workable in games, but you have nice cards.

ya, and i could see if there's a ton of physx related stuff going on during that part ...but its just some steam/fog/whatever on the floor.

turned physx from high to normal ...still the same framerate.

turned it off completely ...perfect 60fps again.

stupid.

TheExodu5

Banned
Set PhysX to run on the 2nd GTX 570.

Then go to bmengine.ini and change these variables to look like this:

Code:
PhysXGpuHeapSize=128
PhysXMeshCacheSize=16

If you're going to dedicate one GTX 570 to PhysX and have the other one be primary and NOT run SLI, try these:

Code:
PhysXGpuHeapSize=256
PhysXMeshCacheSize=32

See if that increases PhysX performance.

Default:
Average FPS - 65

GPU 2 as PhysX + SLI + config settings:
Average FPS - 65

GPU 2 as dedicated PhysX + config settings:
Average FPS - 72

Also, subjectively speaking, the benchmark was a lot smoother (less hitches) using the dedicated PhysX card...could be due to PhysX, or due to microstuttering, I'm not sure.

Looks like I'm playing with SLI disabled, then. Thanks.

SLI definitely does scale, but it seems to be better to use the second card for PhysX if you want PhysX.

ya, and i could see if there's a ton of physx related stuff going on during that part ...but its just some steam/fog/whatever on the floor.

turned physx from high to normal ...still the same framerate.

turned it off completely ...perfect 60fps again.

stupid.

PhysX fog is always annoyingly demanding. Never cared for it either. The leaves/paper are what I care about.

Don't forget it was a 30fps video.

If anyone wants higher resolution shadows, try this as well. Edit both bmengine.ini and userengine.ini by changing this line:

Code:
MaxShadowResolution=2048 ;(default is 512)

I got higher resolution shadows (especially Batman's self-projected shadow) using this tweak. Looks much sharper. I should take a pic.

Make sure to set BMEngine.ini to Read Only, the game has a nasty habit of resetting your changes.

Zimbardo

this is kinda the last game i was expecting to run like shit.

i was all worried about Battlefield 3 running like hell, but that turned out to be a pleasant surprise and runs fine.

amazing turn of events. hah!

burgerdog

So the reason for the inflated file size is 1080p videos. Most of the cutscenes are prerecorded and there's a folder with 7+gigs worth of videos.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone wants higher resolution shadows, try this as well:

Code:
MaxShadowResolution=2048 (default is 512)

I got higher resolution shadows (especially Batman's self-projected shadow) using this tweak. Looks much sharper. I should take a pic.

Make sure to set BMEngine.ini to Read Only, the game has a nasty habit of resetting your changes.

Are you editing the ini files in your documents (or games or whatever folder, I haven't installed yet)? Make sure you don't change the ini files in the actual Steam install folder. Nevertheless, backing up your ini files is always good since as far as I know, pretty much all UE3/UDK games may regenerate them in certain circumstances.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, no DX10 or do you select DX11 in that case and just some effects don't activate anyway?

jackdoe

Where do I find that? I'm using the Steam version btw.
Oh, good luck with that then. I suppose when you launch it through Steam you get two choices where one takes you directly into the game and the other takes you to the launcher that has settings? If so, choose the second option and see if it works.

A "sincere apology" about DX11 being borked even after these delays?

Ha.
Ha indeed. Can't sugar coat the fact that the game was finished five weeks ago and the delay was entirely due to piracy concerns.

And I'm seriously considering either the Robin or Nightwing pack as they are already out for the GFW versions. But I'm not sure if I should save my leftover points for the Batman costume pack instead. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, good luck with that then. I suppose when you launch it through Steam you get two choices where one takes you directly into the game and the other takes you to the launcher that has settings? If so, choose the second option and see if it works.

Ha indeed. Can't sugar coat the fact that the game was finished five weeks ago and the delay was entirely due to piracy concerns.

And I'm seriously considering either the Robin or Nightwing pack as they are already out for the GFW versions. But I'm not sure if I should save my leftover points for the Batman costume pack instead. Decisions, decisions.

Why give your money to these guys? I'm not buying the DLC because... well... they can't even get the game running right or give any respect to me as a customer and a PC gamer.

jackdoe

Why give your money to these guys? I'm not buying the DLC because... well... they can't even get the game running right or give any respect to me as a customer and a PC gamer.
I paid $30 bucks for it so I suppose I'm not as jaded about the five week delay. And DX9 mode works great at the moment which was the mode I planned on using so I'm not that hung up on poor DX11 performance.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Those who bought an nvidia GPU or second-hand codes of such didn't give WB a cent. Feels Goodman.

snack

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks!

weird.. i played Arkham City through steam last night.. tried playing it today and im stuck on the preparing to launch screen, deleted the game and re downloaded it and Steam still wont start it up

nevermind, steam cloud error.. fixed it

Top Bottom