• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Discussion Thread

On max settings on PC, it's quite noticeable switching between the new maps and the old maps.

Beyond asset quality increases, they seem to handle foliage better and have better post processing effects.

For Dragon Age they changed up character rendering, added real save systems, quadruped animation, cinematic (cutscene) systems, localization and dialog tools, gameplay flow tools, and more they detail here: http://www.frostbite.com/2014/08/creating-biowares-first-rpg-on-the-frostbite-engine/

DICE actually commented on these a while ago too: https://twitter.com/ludovicchabant/status/421086273965535232

By comparison... I don't think I've actually seen anything mentioned about Visceral and the engine.

Interesting, especially in the context of "why do console Frostbite games still look not that great?". DA:I certainly flies in the face of this, as engines go.

Unlocks are really confusing in this game. It was bad enough in BF4, but the amount of things flashing at me post game is just insane. Also, please tell me when I purchase the adranaline pin, it isn;t a one time only kind of deal?

How to spend your first 220k in BF: Hardline

moggio

Banned
How did they mess up the motorcycles so badly when they already had them in BF4 working just fine. As a passenger on a bike in BF4 you bounce all over the place. In this game the screen is smooth as silk?

I'd say its just the beta but they've had 3 "betas" now and its still not right?

The driving looks worse than Big Rigs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How on earth do you use a filter with the console version? I'm trying to get specific maps but the browser on the console is useless. Using the website doesn't work either as the server browser disappears when a console is selected as your machine.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yep more content than say Titanfall but you didn't hear anyone saying that should have been a 25$ downloadable game

Uh... where were you when Titanflop flopped? Everyone and their mother was "$60!? WTF EA!" when the beta for that launched.

How on earth do you use a filter with the console version? I'm trying to get specific maps but the browser on the console is useless. Using the website doesn't work either as the server browser disappears when a console is selected as your machine.

Absent for whatever reason.

v1ncelis

Is it set to realese in March? If so I will stick with Pcars and Bloodborne.
After few matches it definitely looks like bf4 expansión rather than full game. That's not bad since I love bf4 but not worth full price. Will grab it at later date after price drop.

I wonder where the cutoff between $60 game and $20 add-on is.

BF4 fits a lot of the "this shouldn't be $60" posts in here. New maps, a few new modes, retread of same weapons + a few new ones, a few new mechanics. I'd argue that BF:H adds even more new features to the series than BF4 did.

Tubie

Is TTK as fast as it seems in the vids I'm watching? Looks like hardcore mode in COD.

Probably, it even feels lower than playing BF4 on hardcore. Its a huge change coming from BF4 where it usually can take 6 bullet hits to kill someone with the carbines and assault rifles.

When I played this morning I would just instantly die and the kill cam would show I died to leg shots lol.

Xater

I don#t see much changed compared to the last beta. The heist is really bad and not fun, Hotwire could be interesting but for the most part it's just driving around in circles and why play conquest when there is BF4? It still feels like a BF4 mod and it's a real ugly game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Imo it should be sold as a 30 dollar/25 euro expansion for BF4. This is not a new game by any means.

Alchemist

Yeah...I think I'm just going to delete this from my HDD. I've returned to it four times now and it's just not clicking with me. I don't even find it fun.

Sucks because I genuinely thought that this game would be my next 'go-to' MP FPS.

Get Battlefield 4 and buy Premium. Best shooter on consoles now that it's fixed.

Lakitu

st5fu
Despite all my criticisms, Heist is a lot of fun. Really enjoying it. Don't know if it's map-specific or what (because it sucked during the alpha).

Spl1nter

TTK is too fast. The shotguns are hilarious overpowered in Heist mode. Heist mode is still pretty fun however. Hotwire is a lot of fun as well.

On max settings on PC, it's quite noticeable switching between the new maps and the old maps.

Beyond asset quality increases, they seem to handle foliage better and have better post processing effects.

For Dragon Age they changed up character rendering, added real save systems, quadruped animation, cinematic (cutscene) systems, localization and dialog tools, gameplay flow tools, and more they detail here: http://www.frostbite.com/2014/08/creating-biowares-first-rpg-on-the-frostbite-engine/

DICE actually commented on these a while ago too: https://twitter.com/ludovicchabant/status/421086273965535232

By comparison... I don't think I've actually seen anything mentioned about Visceral and the engine.

interesting.

Get Battlefield 4 and buy Premium. Best shooter on consoles now that it's fixed.

BF4 worked 99% fine for me since the first week of it's release on PS4. It's my favourite MP shooter this gen so far, by far. I regret trading it in, lol.

But yeah, I think I may just re-buy it and pay for premium.

TheSeks

TTK is too fast. The shotguns are hilarious overpowered in Heist mode. Heist mode is still pretty fun however. Hotwire is a lot of fun as well.

Are you running into the "you can see them but you can't even fucking react" problem everyone else and myself is having?

RBK

Banned
It's not bad but something just feels off when playing it.

Already had my mind made up on not purchasing it, but the beta doesn't do anything to convince otherwise.

Tieske

Neo Member
It's pretty mediocre overall

okay graphics, netcode still not up to par, awful weapon balance

expected alot more tbh

xclaw

Are you running into the "you can see them but you can't even fucking react" problem everyone else and myself is having?

I seem to have this problem on BF4 for the last few weeks... it'll be so lovely if it's the same thing with this too.

CryptiK

Quite disgusting how many people here are saying it feels like an expansion and it feels the same as BF4. It feels like a fresh entry into the series and plays much better than BF4 and BF3.

Spl1nter

Can you expand upon what you mean by that. The ttk is extremely low so ping difference is more pronounced. Also have had some killed behind cover but that can be attributed to people with 200-300 ping for some reason playing on NA servers.

Overall, the game doesnt feel similar to BF4. Not sure if I like conquest in the game. Hotwire and Heist was more fun to me.

TheSeks

Can you expand upon what you mean by that. The ttk is extremely low so ping difference is more pronounced.

Maybe it's just playing earlier in the morning with a bunch of Europeans before work, but with a 76 ping in the server
probably 100 ping due to Frostbite lying on the scoreboard. I dunno of PerfOverlay.DrawNetGraph 1 works here like CTE added to BF4
against a bunch of 200-400 pings, I'm eating deaths RIGHT AS SOON AS I SEE SOMEONE and can't even react. Whereas in BF4 even if 200 pings are in the server
causing lag to the rest of us. *sigh*
you can still at least raise your gun/run around a corner/react to seeing them and try to combat them.

Maybe it's the shotgun (doubtful), maybe it's supression (possible) but I can empty an entire pistol/Glock magazine into someone and get no reaction when I have the drop on them. Whereas if they have the drop on me I'm dead in .5 seconds.

Trace

Banned
Everything about this game makes me wish they just made BFBC3 instead. No one wants this, it's not worth $60 and it's not going to sell well.

cackhyena

Quite disgusting how many people here are saying it feels like an expansion and it feels the same as BF4. It feels like a fresh entry into the series and plays much better than BF4 and BF3.
I like it, but it's not worlds apart from BF3 or 4. There's a lot of valid opinions regarding negatives. The visuals are kind of crummy. The vehicles handle goofy. The UI is a goddamn joke. There's a bunch of things I dig, though.

Spl1nter

I was on a server with 15 ping and felt I had an advantage. The way they work the netcode now it should be same as BF4 and CTE. I think its just a result of the extremely high ttk. The weapon balance is all over the place. Also I have not experienced any rubber-banding but I think that is a console issue. Haven't had rubberbanding since naval strike release really.

Majanew

Banned
I've only been able to play Dust Bowl map -- where the hell is the destruction? I went around with a grenade launcher and shot at numerous buildings and no destruction whatsoever. The fuck is that shit?

TheSeks

I was on a server with 15 ping and felt I had an advantage. The way they work the netcode now it should be same as BF4 and CTE. I think its just a result of the extremely high ttk. The weapon balance is all over the place. Also I have not experienced any rubber-banding but I think that is a console issue. Haven't had rubberbanding since naval strike release really.

Certainly doesn't feel like it. If it was, I'd still be able to react in 2 seconds and attempt to put bullets in someone even if they have a shotgun. Here, me and a bunch of people can see someone coming around the corner and die in half a second flat without us so much as firing a gun or even seeing our health drop. It might be the TTK, but I kinda doubt it.

I'd honestly have to see how the TTK factors in in regards to a LAN before I'd bitch about the TTK here.

bee

whats with the depth of field on dust bowl? looked disgusting

runs great, plays shit about sums it up for me, 4k 60fps almost locked on the bank job map, one more map then uninstall i think

RBK

Banned

I don't know if it plays much better, but it's easier to call Hardline an expansion over BF4 since it's a spinoff. BF4 was pretty much identical to BF3.

Hate to make the comparison, but this plays closer to a COD game than any other Battlefield I've ever played.

Lakitu

st5fu
I've only been able to play Dust Bowl map -- where the hell is the destruction? I went around with a grenade launcher and shot at numerous buildings and no destruction whatsoever. The fuck is that shit?

It has none whatsoever. I don't even think relatively minor things like knee high walls are destructible.

Az

Disgusting? Damn fam, it can't be that serious.

cackhyena

It has none whatsoever. I don't even think relatively minor things like knee high walls are destructible.
Yeah it does, it's just minor compared to other maps. I was watching a stream earlier and a guy flying a helicopter passed over of a house just as a guy blew up a corner of it with an rpg. It's too limited for reasons I can't understand, though.

Wow. Really?

BF4 feels smoother and more responsive to play than this game imo. And if this game feels fresh to you, I'd love to see your example of a stale re-skin, because to me, that's exactly what this is.

maneil99

Does this game atleast hold a solid 60? I would prefer a 30 fps lock 1080p instead of this variable garbage we got in BF4. That game is nowhere close to 60 and closer to 40

Top Bottom