• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Discussion Thread

You know, this game is so polarizing. At the time of its reveal, everyone cried that it was too different from Battlefield. "Cops and Criminals? Battlefield is about tanks and jets and large open fields with 64 players!"

Now the cries are "It's too similar to Battlefield 4, it will never sell, it should have been an expansion!"

I seriously think that people have just formed an opinion as a hivemind that no matter what the game is or isn't, it's a failure and it will never be accepted. The same people who proclaimed about how awful it was before playing it are singing the same song, citing broken mechanics, awful gameplay, and horrid visuals (okay, the last one is true.)

Almost everyone who had a sour first impression isn't willing to play the game with an open mind, they have decided for themselves that by all means, the game is terrible and it will never not be terrible.

It's these very same people who complain every year that major franchises are scared to try something new or out of the comfort zone of established franchise boundaries, Visceral did it and now everyone is saying it's wrong and broken. Sorry to break it to you guys but motorbike and collison physics have been trash in every Battlefield, this is not exclusive to Hardline. And you know what? For what the game needs (cars that handle well and drive fast), it does pretty damn okay.

In two years when Battlefield 5 launches and it's another modern military sim slumping into serious tones and mediocre gunplay and gameplay, maybe then you'll reflect on Hardline like so many people do with Bad Company 1 & 2 now. Sometimes I wonder why I still love gaming, when did a fun game stop being enough? Why are we so cynical just because we're serious about the hobby?

Just let go of your damned preconceived notions, invite some friends, play the game and have some damn fun. It won't kill any of us. If you don't want to buy it? Fine. But have some fun while you have a slice for free.

/endrant

You know, this game is so polarizing. At the time of its reveal, everyone cried that it was too different from Battlefield. "Cops and Criminals? Battlefield is about tanks and jets and large open fields with 64 players!"

I've never seen somebody say that. I've only seen how it's a $60 glorified expansion, which I agree with.

I don't know if it plays much better, but it's easier to call Hardline an expansion over BF4 since it's a spinoff. BF4 was pretty much identical to BF3.

Yeah, that's the thing. In terms of "new" content and features, Hardline seems like more of a new game than BF4 if we're just doing a comparison.

Now the cries are "It's too similar to Battlefield 4, it will never sell, it should have been an expansion!"

I seriously think that people have just formed an opinion as a hivemind that no matter what the game is or isn't, it's a failure and it will never be accepted. The same people who proclaimed about how awful it was before playing it are singing the same song, citing broken mechanics, awful gameplay, and horrid visuals (okay, the last one is true.)

Almost everyone who had a sour first impression isn't willing to play the game with an open mind, they have decided for themselves that by all means, the game is terrible and it will never not be terrible.

It's these very same people who

What exactly does this mean? Are we not a bunch of individuals posting our opinions onto a gaming forum? If so many of our opinions are the same...does that make it a hive-mind?

And how can you possibly know people haven't played it with an open mind?

Comments like these are strange. Some people's opinions don't match your own, it's that simple. And if the majority opinion isn't the same as your own, then that's simply what the majority think based on their individual experience with the same thing, it's not a "hivemind".

@ Your edit - more assumptions without any possible way to back what you're saying up. How do you know that these are "the same people". How do you know people are going into this with "pre-concieved notions"?

It just seems like you can't accept that the majority of people don't like something that you do. So you're trying to rationalize their dislike of the game. I think you're reading way too much into it.

Caayn

Would it hurt EA to implement an ingame server browser instead of forcing us to use Battelog to get into a game. Why EA, why?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Would it hurt EA to implement an ingame server browser instead of forcing us to use Battelog to get into a game. Why EA, why?

Yes. Yes it would. And spoilers: There totally is one in BF4 (dunno about 3) if you enable the E3 demo code which makes the PC version think it's a 360/720 version.

Sorry that a lot of veterans don't think it's fun and think it's a mod (which it pretty much is) with half-assed thought out modes and barely any "fun?"

What exactly does this mean? Are we not a bunch of individuals posting our opinions onto a gaming forum? If so many of our opinions are the same...does that make it a hive-mind?

And how can you possibly know people haven't played it with an open mind?

Comments like these are strange. Some people's opinions don't match your own, it's that simple. And if the majority opinion isn't the same as your own, then that's simply what the majority think based on their individual experience with the same thing, it's not a "hivemind".

@ Your edit - more assumptions without any possible way to back what you're saying up. How do you know that these are "the same people". How do you know people are going into this with "pre-concieved notions"?

Because every single piece of media released for this game has had a thread about it and almost every response was trashing it before the beta had even launched.

Proof is in the pudding and all that.

And my comment isn't addressed to those who say "I tried it, not my thing, oh well." It's addressed to those I saw in every thread leading to this beta saying how awful the game looks who now are saying how it's the worst game they ever played, it's janky, etc.

A majority of people aren't giving it a fair go.

I seriously think that people have just formed an opinion as a hivemind that no matter what the game is or isn't, it's a failure and it will never be accepted.

Maybe people just know bullshit when they see it, and aren't afraid to call out these big publishers/developers over it.

This is, without a doubt, the laziest Battlefield game to date, especially considering it re-uses so many assets from BF4. That it's being sold for $60 (with a $70 "special" edition) is absurd. $30 would be understandable, with $40 pushing it; but $60? Seriously? They can take that price tag and stick it where the sun don't shine.

While I'm having a lot of fun with this beta and I think it'l actually turn out to be a pretty good game, there are three things that bother me.

1. The maps are all the same, yes I know it's LA and yes I know it's a beta and only 3 maps are included. But I really hope not all maps are set in LA, I don't want them all to be green and sunny. Give me some fall maps, rain maps, snow, night etc.

2. The maps are way too small.

Edit: 3. It still feels and looks too much like battlefield. It hardly has it's own identity other than the vehicles.

I wonder where the "it's an expansion" people were when BF4 came out. It's the same situation here.

Same goes for people complaining about vehicles, they've been shitty since BF3 and arguably further back.
Yes. Yes it would. And spoilers: There totally is one in BF4 (dunno about 3) if you enable the E3 demo code which makes the PC version think it's a 360/720 version.
Sounds interesting. Link?

TheSeks

I can't seem to find it on the PSN store :/

PS3/4 in the US have to wait until 5PM EST at the latest for it to be added. Yes, it sucks. No, I don't miss the PSN store update times.

CryptiK

Maybe people just know bullshit when they see it, and aren't afraid to call out these big publishers/developers over it.

This is, without a doubt, the laziest Battlefield game to date, especially considering it re-uses so many assets from BF4. That it's being sold for $60 (with a $70 "special" edition) is absurd. $30 would be understandable, with $40 pushing it, but $60? They can take that price tag and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
what reused assests? Pretty much everything has a new model. There may be a small amount of reused assets hidden away somewhere but I havent seen a single one. All the guns and vehicles use brand new models. Hqve you even played the game because judging by this post you havent. This game has been a bigger change than even BF3 to BF4

cackhyena

Yeah, is it not up on PS4?
I'm not sure. I thought it would be by now. You know how Sony does that afternoon bullshit rollout of content. I don't know why they don't get on the midnight thing like the rest. MS for some reason did it in the afternoon yesterday. *shrug*

This is, without a doubt, the laziest Battlefield game to date, especially considering it re-uses so many assets from BF4. That it's being sold for $60 (with a $70 "special" edition) is absurd. $30 would be understandable, with $40 pushing it; but $60? Seriously? They can take that price tag and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Honest question: how is BF:H any lazier than BF4, by comparison?

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't play much BF4 anymore and won't be buying BF: Hardline. It's just weird to hear people lament how this isn't worth $60 yet imply that BF4 was/is, as a "full game".

what assests? Evedything has a new model. There may be a small a.ount of reused assets hidden away somewhere but I havent seen a single one. All the guns and vehicles use brand new models.

Many of the UI elements and some models (Flood Zone parking garage here for example). I'm sure there are other things as well.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
im officially bored of this game now

thats all i want from ea. if they make a sequel they will fuck up it real bad so just remaster the thing and i would be fine with it.
Yep just give me updated graphics and TOUCH NOTHING ELSE
Edit: and of course they will fuck it up they came out with a statement last year saying they dont know why people like bc2 so much and they dont know what made it speciL. Stay thr hell away from 3 an give me a remake

TheSeks

That's pretty cool.

It blows my mind that EA wants people to leave a browser tab open to connect to servers when they totally have an in-game option available for people to boot up the game.

I'm not seeing it up on the PS4 store at all? Canada, if that makes a difference. Is that a known issue?

Again: SCEA (WHICH INCLUDES CANADA) has to wait until 5PM at the earliest because SCEA sucks and can't hire a midnight crew to upload things in the middle of the night.

Sushi Nao

I'm not seeing it up on the PS4 store at all? Canada, if that makes a difference. Is that a known issue?

Edit: ok, looks like it's not up yet. Great >:/

Once again, I was in a room with 40 last night with no framerate drops. I'll have to see tonight with more

And I was in a room with much less and experienced dips. The game was smooth as hell when it was waiting for players to join, then as soon as people started pouring in the framerate went to shit.

Maybe you just aren't very sensitive to drops? What platform were you playing on?

CryptiK

Many of the UI elements and some models (Flood Zone parking garage here for example). I'm sure there are other things as well.
ok SOME UI elements and by that you clearly mean the font, because thats all there is similar. I just like how you went from 'reuse so many' to uses some and a model. Go play the game before making stupid comments.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I don't play much BF4 anymore and won't be buying BF: Hardline. It's just weird to hear people lament how this isn't worth $60 yet imply that BF4 was/is, as a "full game".

BF4 used a new version of the Frostbite engine, felt different in almost every way, brought back Commander Mode, etc. It actually felt like an entirely new game coming from BF3.

CozMick

Banned
what reused assests? Pretty much everything has a new model. There may be a small amount of reused assets hidden away somewhere but I havent seen a single one. All the guns and vehicles use brand new models. Hqve you even played the game because judging by this post you havent. This game has been a bigger change than even BF3 to BF4

Yup, and it looks like this........

icwvtvnuER7vn.jpg

cackhyena

ok SOME UI elements and by that you clearly mean the font, because thats all there is similar. I just like how you went from 'reuse so many' to uses some and a model. Go play the game before making stupid comments.
Maybe you should chill the fuck out.

CozMick

Banned
Are you try to shos the game looks bad by posting a super compressd, low setting screenshot?

The game looks hideous on PS4, my guess is it looks worse on X1,

This is where the majority of sales will come from. People will expect a better looking game than BF4, this ain't gonna happen if the build we get at retail is the same as the beta.

BF4 used a new version of the Frostbite engine, felt different in almost every way, brought back Commander Mode, etc. It actually felt like an entirely new game coming from BF3.

"New engine" doesn't necessarily amount to much, it just depends on how it was used.

Commander Mode made a weak return and most people don't play it. Do you still have no way to become the commander in-game? You still have to select it from Battlelog? Hardline's "hacker mode" looks to be accessible in-game and offers better functionality.

So, again, how was BF4 any more of an "entirely new game" versus Hardline? The fifth squad member? The small tweaks and changes? New weapons and gadgets? The joke that was "Levolution"?

And this is coming from someone who likes BF4. I am just not seeing the "BF4 felt like a new game, this feels like an expansion", ESPECIALLY if we want to talk about reused assets.

Ramirez

Yup, and it looks like this........

http://i.minus.com/icwvtvnuER7vn.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

I played that map on the bone last night, and while it doesn't look jaw-dropping, it certainly doesn't look as bad as this screenshot, not even close, lol.

I also don't get the "it's not worth $60" claims. It's an entire set of new maps and game modes + a campaign, which EA charges $60 for in the Premium DLC that you never get to play mixed in with the other maps, lol.

The game feels way different to BF4, which I've put like 250+ hours into, of course it shares some similarities, but it feels more "arcadey" for lack of a better term. I like Heist on this map a lot more than the E3 map, which I seen that map in Hotwire, but never got it for Heist, is the Bank map the only Heist map in this beta?

That said, I feel like the userbase on consoles is too stupid to really "get" Heist and use gadgets and alternate routes and shit. Similar to Rush when you'll see the entire team just smash their head against a brick wall draining tickets instead of taking alternate routes and splitting up. Me & a buddy ziplined down to B last night and almost capped by ourselves while the rest of the team was fighting in some corner of the map, heh.

RBK

Banned

Gamers are never satisfied.

Top Bottom