• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Discussion Thread

So ive been playing the Hardline beta for Xbox one and let me tell you this...Im starting to get excited.
This excitement is partly due to the fact that i just bought a 2tb external HD on amazon and plan on using it as backup storage for my Xbone.
On Tuesday (when the HD arrives) im buying a sub for EA access so i can play BF4 on 64 player servers (ive only ever played on xbox360). My time with Hardline has made me really excited for BF4. With regards to Hardline....its basically shit.

That's not true at all though. You don't run around while attacking and defending a flag. You only run when moving between them. The most important encounters happen around objectives and that is when you want to be using cover to your advantage.

You must be those type of people that get gassed/naded out. Oh, and your method definitely does not work on Hardline conquest with its huge capture areas.

And also doesn't work for Heists.

or Hotwire.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cover = Camper
Camping = Losing

If you're not running 90% of the time, you fail.

GU4l2QH.gif

TheSeks

Arguing that you're not supposed to be able to shoot through the air surrounding some solid objects/terrain is absurd. It's a blatant bug. They should change the hit boxes or whatchamacallit to fit the actual geometry so players know where they can shoot without the game giving faulty visual feedback for no reason and have them waste half their mags trying to find where this arbitrary invisible wall ends.

Well, one of the problems is that while a player can see that they should be able to shoot through it, another is that they're ACTUALLY behind cover and thereby can't. There is an invisible wall problem and that one is in the .gif is clear. But some of them, where you're behind cover and crouching are "headglitching."

But in headglitching's case, the attacker CAN fire through the cover while the defender/person attempting to hit the person behind cover CAN'T.

DMRs are so fucking good. Holy shit. They just take a shit on anything at medium to long range and hold their own in close range.

Sucks that my CQ matches are slowly becoming one sided games where my team is either too good and we are popping shots at their spawn or cannot hold a single flag and I am the only one with more than 15-20 kills. The DMRs are the best on Dust Bowl, but Bank Job is decent for them.

terrible

Banned
You must be those type of people that get gassed/naded out. Oh, and your method definitely does not work on Hardline conquest with its huge capture areas.

And also doesn't work for Heists.

or Hotwire.

Using cover works in every game mode. I don't think you understand the concept or you wouldn't be arguing that it doesn't work.

The idea isn't to sit behind a box all match long, that doesn't help anything. Using cover simply means that you use your surroundings to keep some (or most) of your body hidden when engaging enemies. There are tons of ways to do that. Use a crate, a car, a wall, a window, a rock, whatever. What you use for cover all depends on where you are on the map when you have to engage enemies. If an enemy can only see your head but you can see their whole body you're at a huge advantage. Just running around in the open and firing on enemies all the time is not effective at all. People who do that are free kills for people like me.

Using cover works in every game mode. I don't think you understand the concept or you wouldn't be arguing that it doesn't work.

The idea isn't to sit behind a box all match long, that doesn't help anything. Using cover simply means that you use your surroundings to keep some (or most) of your body hidden when engaging enemies. There are tons of ways to do that. Use a crate, a car, a wall, a window, a rock, whatever. What you use for cover all depends on where you are on the map when you have to engage enemies. If an enemy can only see your head but you can see their whole body you're at a huge advantage. Just running around in the open and firing on enemies all the time is not effective at all. People who do that are free kills for people like me.

Okay yeah you use that cover while I zipline with the cash out of there.

Oh, and if I see your head, I headshot you. Easy peasy.

TheSeks

Okay yeah you use that cover while I zipline with the cash out of there.

Which he can shoot you off of. Either by shooting the end point/starting point or shooting you directly off it. You wouldn't believe the number of people that think they're safe ziplining that can be shot off it with good steady aim from an assault rifle or SMG (or hell sniped off it if you've quick with the follow up).

"Camping"/defending an objective has it's place. Just like running toward an objective from cover has it's place. To say you need to "run 24/7" is ignorant. End of.

I like people that play like Shining Sunshine. I always get a nice KDR and SPM boost from people who run around getting spotted and revealing where their team is focused around.

Which he can shoot you off of. Either by shooting the end point/starting point or shooting you directly off it. You wouldn't believe the number of people that think they're safe ziplining that can be shot off it with good steady aim from an assault rifle or SMG (or hell sniped off it if you've quick with the follow up).

"Camping"/defending an objective has it's place. Just like running toward an objective from cover has it's place. To say you need to "run 24/7" is ignorant. End of.

Can't shoot me off when he's cowering in another point on the map. lol

"Defending" a point might let you kill one person before getting shot to hell by follow up enemies. Running and flanking will let you destroy an entire squad, especially in Heists where there are so many points of attack on every objective.
This isn't a Battlefield Rush mode.

I like people that play like Shining Sunshine. I always get a nice KDR and SPM boost from people who run around getting spotted and revealing where their team is focused around.

Too bad for you I don't camp like the rest of my team. You can head for the vault like everyone else. I'll be coming behind you from YOUR spawn point. lol

tatsuki

No one uses Revive or Defibrillator in this game? lol

I've been reviving all beta. I have noticed that it seems rare that others will do so though.

I'm happy with the change to the survivalist gadget from last years test. Making it so that you can only revive yourself from grenade and vehicle deaths and not gunfire is much better.

TheSeks

Yes, he can. The map gives plenty of sight lines outside with enough cover to where he can shoot you off that zipline.

"Defending" a point might let you kill one person before getting shot to hell by follow up enemies. Running and flanking will let you destroy an entire squad, especially in Heists where there are so many points of attack on every objective.

Only if your team is flanking with you. If they aren't, he can take you out. And, if you don't take the roof out and the side wall the police/defense CAN shut the entire attacking team out by locking the vault door with the button in the vault.

I have went 20-0 with the shotgun, gas grenades and the gas mask in the vault on PS3. On PC it's pretty possible to do this as well if the attackers don't bother to take the roof out and flood in.

Again: To say you should "run 24/7" is ignorant of the conditions. There's a time for running, there's a time for not running.

Too bad for you I don't camp like the rest of my team. You can head for the vault like everyone else. I'll be coming behind you from YOUR spawn point. lol

Trying to use Heist as an example is probably one of the worst modes you could suggest. There's only three capture points and plenty of angles to protect them from. Using cover to hold down an angle while a teamate covers a different angle, also from behind cover and yet another teammate covers yet anoter angle from behind cover is exactly how you hold an objective. It's called area denial.

Good players can use cover and scan to deny an area by themselves. Great players will assist others in covering their blind spots thus widening the area of coverage. Add in the fact that there are plenty of Gadgets that can assist in covering places where you aren't focused and you can do some serious damage with relatively little risk.

A guy like you who is so focused on going gungho on a solo flank is likely to run into my tripmine or be spotted by my camera (which will alert me and turn your would be ambush back around on you). You mistake the fact that you do well against a bunch of poor players with your tactics actually being effective. A team that works together using cover, gadgets, and complementing each other's angle of attack will leave you with a negative k/d every time.

Yes, he can. The map gives plenty of sight lines outside with enough cover to where he can shoot you off that zipline.

Only if your team is flanking with you. If they aren't, he can take you out. And, if you don't take the roof out and the side wall the police/defense CAN shut the entire attacking team out by locking the vault door with the button in the vault.

I have went 20-0 with the shotgun, gas grenades and the gas mask in the vault on PS3. On PC it's pretty possible to do this as well if the attackers don't bother to take the roof out and flood in.

Again: To say you should "run 24/7" is ignorant of the conditions. There's a time for running, there's a time for not running.

No, you can't shoot outside from any point, and you can't have complete cover at any point either. If you're shooting outside, you are definitely not in cover. You'll get shot from behind if you're at the windows, you'll get killed by car explosions if you're camping there, you'll get killed from anywhere if you're on the roof.

Uh when I flank by myself, I kill 4-5 people. You know, when their backs are against you and you have 50 shot ammo clip, they will all die.

I went 40-2 in my best game on heist and constantly 30+ kills as the police. And I did say 90% of the time. I do strafe cover in an obvious firefight.

Trying to use Heist as an example is probably one of the worst modes you could suggest. There's only three capture points and plenty of angles to protect them from. Using cover to hold down an angle while a teamate covers a different angle, also from behind cover and yet another teammate covers yet anoter angle from behind cover is exactly how you hold an objective. It's called area denial.

Good players can use cover and scan to deny an area by themselves. Great players will assist others in covering their blind spots thus widening the area of coverage. Add in the fact that there are plenty of Gadgets that can assist in covering places where you aren't focused and you can do some serious damage with relatively little risk.

A guy like you who is so focused on going gungho on a solo flank is likely to run into my tripmine or be spotted by my camera (which will alert me and turn your would be ambush back around on you). You mistake the fact that you do well against a bunch of poor players with your tactics actually being effective. A team that works together using cover, gadgets, and complementing each other's angle of attack will leave you with a negative k/d every time.

Ummm no there's no angle to cover. A is vulnerable from everywhere because it's so open with tons of zipline entry. B is vulnerable through the subway or a well-timed zipline from A. C is so close to the bank that it's always easy to capture.

I leave for two hours and the servers won't let me in. :[

Oh well, need to finish other games up anyway.

Who said anything about you camping? I'm just saying, indirectly, how its detrimental to run around when it can cost you.

And lol at the Heist example. Good luck on not running into tripmines or getting caught out by that one shotgun guy because you want to be the guy doing pointless flanks instead of denying choke points and routes.

FatalT

Banned
Why in the hell are you people arguing with Sunshine about how to play the game? Play the game how YOU want to play it and just have fun.

I'll just be over here trying to taze everybody and then interrogate them so the entire enemy team shows up on our minimap.

Who said anything about you camping? I'm just saying, indirectly, how its detrimental to run around when it can cost you.

And lol at the Heist example. Good luck on not running into tripmines or getting caught out by that one shotgun guy because you want to be the guy doing pointless flanks instead of denying choke points and routes.

Tripmine? bro those are so easy to see and disable.

Shotty? I'll give you that because I was that guy, but then I headshot a shotty with my P90 faster than they can shoot. Shotguns are definitely the most likely thing for me to die by because they're too powerful compared to the other beginner guns.

Why in the hell are you people arguing with Sunshine about how to play the game? Play the game how YOU want to play it and just have fun.

I'll just be over here trying to taze everybody and then interrogate them so the entire enemy team shows up on our minimap.

Taze is so fun. That's why I run around a lot trying to catch obvious campers proned and tunnel vision so I can do that.
imo in this CQC-centric game, Taser is pretty OP.

terrible

Banned

It has to do with this:

tumzvy.gif

Invisible walls like this kind of ruin cover. Sunshine is apparently arguing that we don't need to use cover anyway so it doesn't matter that it's glitched. We're suggesting otherwise. That and it's something to talk about.

tatsuki

Man so weapons are exclusives to sides now?

Once you reach a certain amount of kills with a weapon you get an option to buy a license for 50,000. The license will let you use that gun for either side.

I'm not sure if this applies to all weapons though.

It has to do with this:

Invisible walls like this kind of ruin cover. Sunshine is apparently arguing that we don't need to use cover anyway so it doesn't matter that it's glitched. We're suggesting otherwise. That and it's something to talk about.

See, in that example, I'm going to clear the left or right most room, jump in, and flank down the hall.

If you're standing around there, you're exposed from A sniper fire or the tall building north of B. Terrible cover. Gotta go fast.

Once you reach a certain amount of kills with a weapon you get an option to buy a license for 50,000. The license will let you use that gun for either side.

I'm not sure if this applies to all weapons though.

300 kills for my P90, so probably 300 for everything.

FatalT

Banned
It has to do with this:

http://a.pomf.se/tumzvy.gif

I see what you're saying now. I haven't run into any situations like that because to be honest I play more like what Sunshine says. I run around and shoot people but I'll stop and crouch behind something, then pop out to shoot and run some more. That glitching really, really sucks.

If someone was in the window shooting at you, would they also hit the invisible barrier? Typically I don't see anyone using those rocks around Dust Bowl for cover at least.

EDIT: $50,000 to use a gun for both sides? FFFUUUUU I wish things weren't so expensive. I've found it easier to get money playing hotwire and just riding around in a captured car repairing damage though.

Of course, the Battlefield games recently have been focused on being super grindy for unlocks so it makes sense. Adds longevity to the game! Locking the repair tool and revive kit at such high prices was a bit too much though. Those are CRUCIAL gadgets.

FUUUUU server down?

EDIT: $50,000 to use a gun for both sides? FFFUUUUU I wish things weren't so expensive. I've found it easier to get money playing hotwire and just riding around in a captured car repairing damage though.

Of course, the Battlefield games recently have been focused on being super grindy for unlocks so it makes sense. Adds longevity to the game! Locking the repair tool and revive kit at such high prices was a bit too much though. Those are CRUCIAL gadgets.

If you think 50k is expensive. I spent so much time getting gold for mechanic to get the clothing/camo unlock only to find out that two cost 100k and one "elite" camo costs 250k...

And they are different for the 4 character types lol.

Ummm no there's no angle to cover. A is vulnerable from everywhere because it's so open with tons of zipline entry. B is vulnerable through the subway or a well-timed zipline from A. C is so close to the bank that it's always easy to capture.

A is the top floor of the parking garage. 2 stairwells, an elevator, and ramp entry. Fairly easy to cover from behind the north stairwell. Zipline entry is limited to the roof of the bank. You get spotted pretty quickly from A when you're up there. Try to zipline and I'll shoot you and melee it away.

B isn't vulnerable through the subway at all. All the Subway exits are far enough away that you can get mowed down before you get close to capping. Police send the bag back and GG. Zipline in? Tripmines on the bus will kill you as soon as you land. For added giggles, I'll prone behind the subway entrance in front of B and pick off anyone trying to rush the cap.

C is only easy to cap if you're quick enough. But that's why I specifically cover C as soon as the game starts. Camera on the road to Thief spawn, tripmines in the kitchen to drop anyone trying to run from the vault wall and a 240Bravo pick up if I need to put a bunch of bullets downrange to suppress a surge of Thieves. Hang in the outdoor hallway behind the ledges with the hedges and pick people off. Use the columns to prevent roof snipers from taking you out.

Any of these points can be taken easily but when people use cover and tactics, it becomes much, much harder.

tatsuki

If someone was in the window shooting at you, would they also hit the invisible barrier? Typically I don't see anyone using those rocks around Dust Bowl for cover at least.

The gifs have more to do with an enemy on the other side of the rock a few steps away from you. You crouch up to take a clear shot of the enemies head not knowing a barrier is there, They take a few steps to the side and kill you because of it. What should have been an avoidable death turns out not to be.

No one is camping those areas. I don't know why sunshine brought camping up.

Just played for the last couple hours and noticed something strange (PS3 here):

Played 5 heist games, all had the same flow, EITHER the crooks take the money and escape within the first couple of minutes, OR if that doesn't happen, the cops hold out and exhaust the crook's tickets EVERY TIME. Is anyone else noticing this? It happened a few times during the week week as well, but seemed extremely noticable this evening.

A is the top floor of the parking garage. 2 stairwells, an elevator, and ramp entry. Fairly easy to cover from behind the north stairwell. Zipline entry is limited to the roof of the bank. You get spotted pretty quickly from A when you're up there. Try to zipline and I'll shoot you and melee it away.

B isn't vulnerable through the subway at all. All the Subway exits are far enough away that you can get mowed down before you get close to capping. Police send the bag back and GG. Zipline in? Tripmines on the bus will kill you as soon as you land. For added giggles, I'll prone behind the subway entrance in front of B and pick off anyone trying to rush the cap.

C is only easy to cap if you're quick enough. But that's why I specifically cover C as soon as the game starts. Camera on the road to Thief spawn, tripmines in the kitchen to drop anyone trying to run from the vault wall and a 240Bravo pick up if I need to put a bunch of bullets downrange to suppress a surge of Thieves. Hang in the outdoor hallway behind the ledges with the hedges and pick people off. Use the columns to prevent roof snipers from taking you out.

Any of these points can be taken easily but when people use cover and tactics, it becomes much, much harder.

Any of these points can be capped quickly but

Well I definitely snipe off everyone from the top of A before I zipline in. And if the top of A is hot, I go down the stairs and go into the middle sections of A through the bank windows. Stairs are very vulnerable from the side as they are open windows, and even the north of stairs is easy pickings coming from the driveway ramp.

B is definitely the hardest, but I had most success with the subway. It confuses the cops and force them to go down, then the other robbers close into B from the top and spawn camp. Funny thing about tripmines on B is that I spot them before laying down ziplines. I've actually gotten B with 5 tripmines there. Pick a nice spot, zip down when it looks like robbers are successful, plant my beacon, and stay alive. If the B bus area is too hot, I'll just snipe off easy targets and chute down to the subway.

C is easy for me because I always win the kitchen. ALWAYS! I've killed 4 guys at the intial confrontation because robbers always get there first to get better... ahem... cover. And my beacon is there all the time, so even if I die, I spawn and surprise them.

The gifs have more to do with an enemy on the other side of the rock a few steps away from you. You crouch up to take a clear shot of the enemies head not knowing a barrier is there, They take a few steps to the side and kill you because of it. What should have been an avoidable death turns out not to be.

No one is camping those areas. I don't know why sunshine brought camping up.

Sunshine decided to double down on the whole issue, and apparently cover = camping.

Fact of the matter is, Hardline has a good amount of invisible walls that need to be addressed, and hopefully it will be.

Tripmine? bro those are so easy to see and disable.

Shotty? I'll give you that because I was that guy, but then I headshot a shotty with my P90 faster than they can shoot. Shotguns are definitely the most likely thing for me to die by because they're too powerful compared to the other beginner guns.

That's the risk you take. I used those examples because those are things that are bound to happen and it has nothing to do with how good you are. You probably are fully capable of running through baddies who don't cover their flanks, but that doesn't mean the whole team should be mindlessly running around for the sake of running around. You are wasting your life on a pointless flank when you can deny them from taking the packages from the front and not die from someone outplaying you. Most of the time, once the attackers get a grip on the doors, that whole spot is on lockdown and you are just waiting for them to run to escape routes.

If you cannot understand that, then I don't think you ever will.

terrible

Banned
I pretty much never play battlefield with a shotgun, is it usually this much YOLO fun?

http://a.pomf.se/nldgpr.webm

I think I've been missing out.

Slugs with magnum ammo in BC2 were stupidly overpowered for a bit and frag rounds on the faster firing shotguns in BF3 were a bit nuts on some maps too. Other than that they've mostly just been good for CQC and nothing else in the series.

They seem properly scary in Hardline though lol.

HariKari

Good ol' Frosbite geometry. Pretty bad.

meppi

I pretty much never play battlefield with a shotgun, is it usually this much YOLO fun?

http://a.pomf.se/nldgpr.webm

I think I've been missing out.

Absolutely! Especially when using slugs since you won't be limited to close encounters.
The moment they took away this kinda play style from snipers (BC2 GOL 4 life ;) ), I switched to 870 with slugs and an ACOG sight.
It's a risk/reward thing because if you miss, you're screwed, but once you get used to it, it's damn fun.
Too bad they messed it up completely in BF4 with all the problems that game had with hit detection and whatnot.

Portugeezer

It has to do with this:

tumzvy.gif

Frostbite engine has had this issue for so many BF games.

Astrates

I'm not sold on it.

Enjoyable but it doesn't feel like it a bringing anything different to the table.

The one thing I do like is being able to save up to buy weapons, not as much tedious grinding.

Top Bottom