• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bay Area Commute Horror: BART strike looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
This is never going to end. I almost never use bart but this is getting insane. I really should use it more often though since I've only been to the city a handful of times.

Easy_G

I'm pro organized labor and feel they should be able to argue for proper compensation and have some tactics that help them make their point, but this is getting crazy.

How can neither side come to a compromise?

I start a new job in SF on the 19th, really hoping this clears up by then. Driving from Oakland to the mission is terribleeeee.

Easy_G

UPDATE: There is nothing of note to update. Talks continue and the bart strike is still planned.

We're doomed.

inm8num2

I'm guessing a couple days of strike then a deal will be reached.

Maybe it's time the SF Bay Area invest in tube transport a la Futurama.

Gigglepoo

This is embarrassing. Both sides should propose a plan and then a neutral third party should decide the terms. Done and done.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The gentrification of SF has been a big area of interest for me even though I don't live there. It may seem unrelated, but a lot of people worried about the BART strike are getting ticked at the "Google Buses" (although it's a blanket term for buses that shuttle Google, Apple, and other tech employees south outside of the city.) Interested in how this will play out over the next few years and whether things will get more riled up or violent.

Rootbeer

Banned
Aaaaand here we go again >.>

I'm about to board the 11:00pm BART and in the morning looks like I'll be taking the much slower and more expensive bus, which is sure to be pretty crowded like last time.

Ya know, I'm willing to just put up with it for a week or so and hope the unions cave. They can't strike forever. Can't believe they had a full month to negotiate and still not resolved *grumble grumble*

God this is aggravating...

I just want both sides to come up with some sort of compromise soon because this is straight-up bullshit.

Watching the news... either there'll be good news or crap news.

I'm hoping for the former at this point but regardless, I do live in Dublin so I have some options but they're all crap really.

Nelo Ice

Banned
If there is a strike please end before the Kanye concert. Already got my tickets and was thinking perfect don't have to pay for parking at Oracle since I can just take BART. Then I realized damnit BART may go on strike again and now have to consider driving and putting down $35 for parking.

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaack:

- BART workers to strike Friday
SF Gate said:
BART unions plan to strike Friday after the two sides failed to reach an agreement during a marathon bargaining session that lasted nearly 29 hours.

A union spokeswoman said Thursday afternoon that they met BART on its health care and pension requests, but the two sides still could not come to agreement on other issues.

BART's final offer included a 12 percent raise over four years and provisions that would have employees paying a 4 percent pension contribution and a 9.5 percent increase in their health-insurance contribution.

The threat of a strike has loomed since Sunday when a 60-day cooling off period ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown expired. A federal mediator has been working with both sides since Sunday.

ivysaur12

Banned
Another reason SoCal > NorCal

We don't have these silly strikes that would ruin our commutes!
We're just stuck in traffic anyway.

Yeah, email about the news went out to the office.

Waiting to hear what the boss says in regards to time.

Freaking hell this sucks.

LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom