• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Looking Trees In Gaming

Zonar

Do any games take place in Michigan? I hear the trees are the right height there.

I like the way you think.
2kHwIFV.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it's some weird temporal type, because in certain busier areas it looks worse, but others it looks super clean.

ND's AA solution in UC3 and TLoU is odd. It's dynamic and either seems to be on and does a really nice job or shuts off completely. UC3 it was alright most of the time but it was off a lot in TLoU.

VanWinkle

Not the best quality since it was taken with the share function of the PS4, but KZ:SF trees look great.

The best part about the trees in the game is the movement. The movement independence of the leaves is really impressive. They don't move at a leaf-by-leaf basis, of course, but in VERY small clumps so it still looks fantastic.

inflvxZcfmguG.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
I thought the trees in the new Tomb Raider were good, for a weather beaten island. Can't find too many good screenshots though.

I remember being impressed by Dead Islands trees too, but not the game. I suspect the 'vivid' colours helped.

Also playing through TLoU. The start of Pittsburgh and trees dotted about looks really cool. A nice compliment on the brick backdrop. Just got to Autumn again and the scene before Tommys Dam in the forest. Also looks quite nice.

Gurish

I think that any of us who played Uncharted 3 knows that the game does not contain this level of fidelity 99% of the time during actual gameplay, so it's no wonder no one seems to remember the game looking like this, but once in a while there is this 1% of a frame where everything come together (usually there is a motion blur involved) and all the flaws of the IQ are missing, that pic is this 1% :)

omonimo

Banned
I think that any of us who played Uncharted 3 knows that the game does not contain this level of fidelity 99% of the time during actual gameplay, so it's no wonder no one seems to remember the game looking like this, but once in a while there is this 1% of a frame where everything come together (usually there is a motion blur involved) and all the flaws of the IQ are missing, that pic is this 1% :)
wat

cormack12

Gold Member
It's the DoF effect in Uncharted. When you pull out your gun and aim, it seems to load in hi res textures or something - at the cost of blurring the background assets. Probably that's not accurate but that's what it seems like.

crysis2fn2305a.jpg

1e3rpp.jpg

I guess these are modded to hell and back or fakes... i wonder if i can play Crysis with my new pc and have it looking anywhere near that?

Gurish

Sorry but as anyone said, most of the game doesn't look as good as those screens, it's still looking amazing and one of the best on consoles, but not on the same level of fidelity as that screen, not all textures look as good, the IQ is not as clean, and so on, are you really in shock by this statement!?

Seanspeed

Banned
Yea, that seems quite obvious, since if the whole game looked like that, it would blow away every next-gen game as well.

The Ryse shots are incredible. That seems to be the best overall plantlife I've ever seen. So much variety, all consistently amazing looking.

And while the trees individually maybe aren't the greatest I've seen, their use, and the general plantlife in this area of The Witcher 2, make for one hell of a gorgeous area:

Hoo-doo

Banned
Jesus, people really forgot how good U3 looked, didn't they.

The 1% theory is bullshit, that entire chapter looks unbelievable.

amdnv

Thank you everyone for posting and quoting dozens of normal mapped bark textures from Uncharted with super-shallow depth of field.
Now show entire trees, and you'll see how Naughty Dog is bound by hardware constraints just like everyone else.

Albo

Okami, particularly since you see them blossom from the their withered states.

060921_okami_hmed7p_hmedium.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D375

okami3.jpg

This isn't even the HD version.

This... didn't look anywhere near as impressive the last time I spotted it.

These gifs tend to make everything look just a bit better, especially if they have a high framerate or high speed. Still, the preview did look pretty nice.

What platform(s)?

Apparently PC only.

Here's a screenshot with some nice foliage:
TVoEC_ScreenShot_04.jpg

Also, obligatory Skyrim ENB screenshots (Confidence Man's ENB settings):
iEMnq0Vd8rFsA.jpg

ibclwUMSgJ7cNy.jpg

goddamn that Uncharted tree. doubted myself for a while there. looks INCREDIBLY good for PS3.

For the time, that one tree in Ico.

yay! i was hoping someone else would remember. that was the first time i gawked in awe at a tree in a videogame. i just pranced around it for a long time and tried to look at it from all possible camera angles heh.

couldn't find a better picture:

ico1p2013.jpg

iirc, the lighting on the leaves changed as they moved, which looked really neat back then.

also, as mentioned in the thread: Alan Wake (really spooky forests, beautifully animated as well, moving with the wind and all) and Flotsam forest area from The Witcher 2. magical stuff.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
For it's time the tree in ICO was amazing! Remember threads being made just for that tree. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

edit: lol just looked two posts up.

Seanspeed

Banned
Jesus, people really forgot how good U3 looked, didn't they.

The 1% theory is bullshit, that entire chapter looks unbelievable.
I'm sure it looks great, but its not all going to be up to the measure of that tree shot. There's an obvious reason why people who have played the game don't remember it looking as good as that. If it looked that good consistently, it would look just as good, if not better, than anything on next-gen or on PC. And I don't think anybody is going to reasonably try and make that argument.

Top Bottom