• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Looking Trees In Gaming

nOoblet16

I'm sure it looks great, but its not all going to be up to the measure of that tree shot. There's an obvious reason why people who have played the game don't remember it looking as good as that. If it looked that good consistently, it would look just as good, if not better, than anything on next-gen or on PC. And I don't think anybody is going to reasonably try and make that argument.

No he's right the 1% theory is nothing but bullocks. The reason people don't remember it looking that good is because the game didn't have a good IQ, a botched AA implementation, no AF were the prime reason why people don't remember it looking as good. The texture work in Uncharted games have always been sublime and consistency in assets is their strongest point.

Uncharted 3 was the most technically outstanding console tittle released last gen (it was ahead of TLOU in some areas and generally looked better due to prettier artwork) and I find it hard to believe that someone thought that it wasn't even in the top 3 or top 5.

Honorable mention: Flower
iogyptq3xCMpK.png

If my memory is correct resident evil remake had some wonderful trees. This is the best I can do on my phone.

1222604108_8.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
No he's right the 1% theory is nothing but bullocks. The reason people don't remember it looking that good is because the game didn't have a good IQ, a botched AA implementation, no AF were the prime reason why people don't remember it looking as good. The texture work in Uncharted games have always been sublime and consistency in assets is their strongest point.

Uncharted 3 was the most technically outstanding console tittle released last gen (it was ahead of TLOU in some areas and generally looked better due to prettier artwork) and I find it hard to believe that someone thought that it wasn't even in the top 3 or top 5.
Sounds to me that he was spot on then, if it doesn't have good IQ, botched AA and no AF elsewhere.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
Some damn fine trees in this thread! Personally I prefer a more stylised approach:

Rayman
zXVzkfm.png

AY3zh1c.png

Witness
YMMfi1g.png

Fez
3ndQZWJ.png

My personal favourite, though its already been posted, Animal Crossing:
ZVxUEGu.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Even though the game design was rather paint-by-numbers character action and platforming, and not particularly memorable at either, the visual design of El Shaddai is frequently breathtaking and awe inspiring for the interactive medium. I firmly believe it's a practically unmatched and ahead-of-its-time landmark achievement in interactive 3D space aesthetics. One of those so very few games that utalises the rendering tools, methods, and tricks we have available to create abstract, three dimensional, animated dreamscapes that defy real world visual conventions. Truly outstanding visual production.

nOoblet16

Sounds to me that he was spot on then, if it doesn't have good IQ, botched AA and no AF elsewhere.

How is he spot on? He said the textures are only good in certain areas and rest is just bad. That's different from what I said, which was that the visuals and assets are consistent and high quality throughout but get affected due to lack bad IQ since it lacks AF and has a broken AA implementation. Majority of console tittles released last gen lacked AF anyhow so it wasn't out of the ordinary, the IQ of Uncharted games were on par with other console games, they are bad when you compare them to today's standards.

kinggroin

Banned
Those UC3 shots could quite easily pass for a next gen game. In-fact, they're graphically more impressive than several big next gen games.

Not even close.

The very first shot in that one angle, sure. It falls apart everywhere else. Otherwise, the lighting and high-lod textures still look great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Uncharted 3 shots, and the reactions here, are a great example of Naughty Dog's combined technical and artistic wizardry, along with strong impressions of a good, still screenshot.

Tree geometry is Uncharted 3 is basic as fuck and nothing to go crazy over. Not bad. Not amazing. Not Crysis 3 tessellated-to-hell-and-back. Just a basic, serviceable, and balanced triangle count making up the truck and branches.

Naughty Dog know their shit with textures and that's what makes it look so damn good, along with the subtle normal map and position of the lighting in the shot. It looks like a photo of bark, the normal map giving the illusion of bumps and chips, and the still, front-on imagery giving the impression of detailed geometry in the chunks and corners of bark popping out of the tree.

The illusion is lost somewhat when you're actually playing and can move around the tree and see the bark is a texture attached to flat, polygonal surfaces, even if it still looks good thanks to the technology and art.

TLDR: Naughty Dog have great artist. Nicely set up screenshots look awesome. They've a pretty damn sweet bark texture. Killzone: Shadow Fall's trees should shit all over them geometrically, even if the bark texture doesn't hold up for artistic reasons.

KKRT00

Majority of console tittles released last gen lacked AF anyhow so it wasn't out of the ordinary, the IQ of Uncharted games were on par with other console games, they are bad when you compare them to today's standards.

Actually majority of high end console games from 2012 and 2013 had some form of AF.
Assassins Creed games, Metro:LL , Crysis, BF 3 and 4, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3.

Street Fighter III: 3S - Urien
UrienStageMexico.gif

Street Fighter III: 2I - Necro
Sf3si-necro.png

Street Fighter III: NG - Ryu
E9xKn.png

Street Fighter Alpha - Ryu
Ryu-sfa-stage.gif

Darkstalkers 2 - Hsien-Ko
jTQ0gbh.gif

MHWLac7.gif

Crisium

The Majora's Mask tree is the most breathtaking sight I have ever seen in a game. I feel ashamed that neither myself or another poster brought it up before page 5. The moment it appears... just so good.

DoF helps a lot with showing details. Some shots from C3 i just took with heavy dof.

[img ]http://i3.minus.com/i3vF4KdkVBMif.png[/img]

[img ]http://i7.minus.com/its3lw2CUAA5l.png[/img]

That's not the part that looks best in C3 imo. It's the canopies in the distance and how they are lit.

TLDR: Naughty Dog have great artist. Nicely set up screenshots look awesome. They've a pretty damn sweet bark texture. Killzone: Shadow Fall's trees should shit all over them geometrically, even if the bark texture doesn't hold up for artistic reasons.

This and a generous dose of DOF helps the shot a lot. The game does look great but in game walking around it doesn't look AS good because of all the shimmering edges and that DOF isn't in place till you actually aim up close.

It is weird though that the ammo font is two different types as someone pointed out above. Seems like they're two different builds of the game

NastyBook

I thought that uncharted picture was photoshopped. Their texture work is just insane.
Wouldn't be the first time somebody has said that about a screenshot taken from an Uncharted game. I still remember seeing all the "bullshot" comments on here (before I got an account) for Uncharted 2.

KKRT00

That's not the part that looks best in C3 imo. It's the canopies in the distance and how they are lit.

The thing is, i'm using a trick here to get this DoF working all the time without any HUD :) and the only place i can use this trick is this section unfortunately. I would love to have this option of other parts of the game too and be able to customize DoF focus distance.

Btw trick: before You meet up with Psycho for a cutscene there is small zone, where You lower Your weapon and hud disappears for cinematic purposes and if You hide weapon customization in this zone, there is some chance that raising it again wont bring up HUD when You out of the zone :p

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The Uncharted 3 shots, and the reactions here, are a great example of Naughty Dog's combined technical and artistic wizardry, along with strong impressions of a good, still screenshot.

Tree geometry is Uncharted 3 is basic as fuck and nothing to go crazy over. Not bad. Not amazing. Not Crysis 3 tessellated-to-hell-and-back. Just a basic, serviceable, and balanced triangle count making up the truck and branches.

Naughty Dog know their shit with textures and that's what makes it look so damn good, along with the subtle normal map and position of the lighting in the shot. It looks like a photo of bark, the normal map giving the illusion of bumps and chips, and the still, front-on imagery giving the impression of detailed geometry in the chunks and corners of bark popping out of the tree.

The illusion is lost somewhat when you're actually playing and can move around the tree and see the bark is a texture attached to flat, polygonal surfaces, even if it still looks good thanks to the technology and art.

Totally agree. And DoF can hide a lot.

This is how the forest looks:

12031032554_cba691035b_o.png

Next gen.. suuuure.

Totally agree. And DoF can hide a lot.

This is how the forest looks:

12031032554_cba691035b_o.png

Next gen.. suuuure.

Proving what eatchildren was saying. Select still shots can look amazing and the DOF helps a LOT. But when playing the level it doesn't look AS good as a whole. The overall area is kinda low res

But still the shot isn't fake and is impressive as hell for the tech it's running on

elohel

The final fantasy character, the plague tree and the map image I have no idea what games those are from lol and by map I mean the image that looks like a gigantic skill tree

Gurish

How can you say that the theory is bullocks if you are admitting yourself that the IQ wasn't good, the AA was botched and there was no AF and that's why ppl don't remember the game looking so good?

That's exactly what the theory says! in that pic the IQ is perfect, probably because of the DOF and the zoom in and because some lesser looking textures (textures are not the main reason but not all of them looked like that tree so don't hang up on this, it's mostly IQ) are not presented in the frame, you can't see the flaws.

That's why people are saying this pic does not represent the fidelity of the game and why the 1% theory is correct in this case.

Top Bottom