• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two |OT| The Debt Is Paid

Do they really force stealth on you the whole game? I've only done the intro section so far

Nah. You can stealth if you want (they give you some pretty great tools for it), but they also give you a hand cannon, shotgun, and that
final weapon from BaS 1.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, it sucks. :( i guess in part, this is Ken claiming his fiction as his own.

Don't get me wrong, some of the revisions to the Bioshock story in 2 were annoying and unnecessary, but that's like a pond ripple compared to Ken's torpedo into the canon here.

I guess we can safely ignore it all as happening in an alternate universe then the Bioshock we love—visually it has very little resemblance anyhow.

I'm more upset that BioShock 2 got wiped from this series as of this DLC.

Wait, how?

Nothing changed. I mean it's kind of silly in that regard. This entire thing was to set up Bioshock 1, and while parts were cool storyline wise everything apparently happened. Unless you are talking the Big Daddy stuff, which made no sense anyway.

FartOfWar

Banned
*leave narrative path to explore area off from the hub, absolutely no narrative or design hurdle standing in my way*
*clear out area, collect goodies*
*continue story*
*have to return to area*
*every AI reset*

Fuck it. I'm out. Between this and shooting dudes square blank in the head only for the game to go "lol no, health is higher cos stealth!" I have no interest in finishing. Much like Ep1 (though to it's credit much better regardless) I feel the game just isn't very well designed. Graphically/artistically it's absolutely gorgeous, but I'm not at all stimulated in play. And though it's all goofy mystery sci-fi story, I also predict it's going to convolute the BioShock/Infinite lore/crossover more than necessary, and pull a Metal Gear Solid where everything is connected. And fuck that, I say, as someone who actually liked Infinite's ending.
Bummer to hear. I can assure you that bots don't reset in the way you suspect though. The lounge will not repopulate at all, repair bay repops with an entirely different configuration governed by a unique combat scenario and for that to occur a certain amount of time must elapse. These are always difficult design decisions as some players expect new content on retraversals separated by significant time while others such as yourself apparently disdain them. Initially that particular retraversal didn't repopulate. A majority of people expressed that they wished it would. If you ever take the elevator back down to daycare you'll discover new scenarios there for similar reasons.

Fuchsdh

Wait, how?

Nothing changed. I mean it's kind of silly in that regard. This entire thing was to set up Bioshock 1, and while parts were cool storyline wise everything apparently happened. Unless you are talking the Big Daddy stuff, which made no sense anyway.

He is. And given the Big Daddy stuff is what sets the whole story of Bioshock 2 in motion, the game can't exist according to the rules set here.

Sidebar: why are the little sisters so freaky-looking in this game compared to BS1 and 2? They look like mutants instead of slightly large-eyed girls with glowing eyes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bummer to hear. I can assure you that bots don't reset in the way you suspect though. The lounge will not repopulate at all, repair bay repops with an entirely different configuration governed by a unique combat scenario and for that to occur a certain amount of time must elapse. These are always difficult design decisions as some players expect new content on retraversals separated by significant time while others such as yourself apparently disdain them. Initially that particular retraversal didn't repopulate. A majority of people expressed that they wished it would. If you ever take the elevator back down to daycare you'll discover new scenarios there for similar reasons.

Cool, cheers for the feedback. Interesting that playtesters disliked the area being populated again. It really hit me as a "I can't be fucked" thing, but a lot of that probably has to do with the way it plays. If I were enjoying it more I think I'd be okay with cleaning it out again.

And I really believe that's just where I sit with Burial at Sea: I'm not enjoying the play enough to stick with it. Which is less of a criticism against the DLC and more my subjectivity. I had a lot of fun playing through Infinite, but Burial doesn't do it for me. Something feels off or not all that fun about the core mechanics, changes to damage variables, and so on.

But I'll add that I can attribute much of my disinterest in returning to Rapture. I know there's some people who fucking love it, and seeing Rapture cameos in Infinite was a highlight. So the idea of returning to Rapture in a two part story arc is the bees knees. For me though Rapture was done once BioShock's credit's rolled. Similarly with BioShock 2, a game that I enjoyed in play but had no interest in actually pushing through, the Rapture appeal does nothing for me here so where others care I simply do not. I don't need more Ryan or Atlas, or more Rapture lore expanded.

I'm being a bit hyperbolic though: I'll probably push through it regardless. I did pay for it and I would like to see first hand how Irrational's final work comes together.

FartOfWar

Banned
Cool, cheers for the feedback. Interesting that playtesters disliked the area being populated again. It really hit me as a "I can't be fucked" thing, but a lot of that probably has to do with the way it plays. If I were enjoying it more I think I'd be okay with cleaning it out again.

And I really believe that's just where I sit with Burial at Sea: I'm not enjoying the play enough to stick with it. Which is less of a criticism against the DLC and more my subjectivity. I had a lot of fun playing through Infinite, but Burial doesn't do it for me. Something feels off or not all that fun about the core mechanics, changes to damage variables, and so on.

But I'll add that I can attribute much of my disinterest in returning to Rapture. I know there's some people who fucking love it, and seeing Rapture cameos in Infinite was a highlight. So the idea of returning to Rapture in a two part story arc is the bees knees. For me though Rapture was done once BioShock's credit's rolled. Similarly with BioShock 2, a game that I enjoyed in play but had no interest in actually pushing through, the Rapture appeal does nothing for me here so where others care I simply do not. I don't need more Ryan or Atlas, or more Rapture lore expanded.

I'm being a bit hyperbolic though: I'll probably push through it regardless. I did pay for it and I would like to see first hand how Irrational's final work comes together.
Always up to you. To tempt you to continue I will say that it might be worth adopting a different style of approach to see if it suits you more. One example which I call aggressive stealth is to combine fast moving serial takedowns using hangpoints with sudden lethal vigor and weapon use. Also
you will return to Columbia
. To my knowledge a handcannon headshot will also kill any splicer on any difficulty setting. Not sure if those values were changed last minute?

Fuchsdh

Not to mention you can headshot enemies very easily so if you plunk down coin for ammo you don't really have to sneak at all on lower difficulties.

yea you dont have to stealth if you dont want to. in the game trailers review the guy was playing non stealth....just using shotgun and handcannon

<Edit> so fartofwar = someone at irrational?

Gartooth

In my time with it, it seemed to me that nonalerted enemies took far more damage from the handcannon than those that were.

IronRinn

yea you dont have to stealth if you dont want to. in the game trailers review the guy was playing non stealth....just using shotgun and handcannon

<Edit> so fartofwar = someone at irrational?

Blowin' Shawn's cover:

Fartofwar is Shawn Elliott, formerly of Irrational, forever of the internet.

Fuchsdh

In my time with it, it seemed to me that nonalerted enemies took far more damage from the handcannon than those that were.

Maybe, but either way shoot one, run on by. On easy basically any hit with the shotgun kills, and it's close to the same on medium. If you don't want a tedious slog easy difficulties are always going to help.

Gartooth

Maybe, but either way shoot one, run on by. On easy basically any hit with the shotgun kills, and it's close to the same on medium. If you don't want a tedious slog easy difficulties are always going to help.

Well, I'm not entirely sure that what I said was right, maybe I'm just terrible at lining up shots in combat scenarios. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wait i thought he was shigeru miyamoto

I just finished it and felt it was disappointing. The stealth gameplay felt shoehorned in, and Peeping Tom invisibility was beyond overpowered.

I also disliked narrative,
especially the tie-in to make infinite a prequel to Bioshock. It just felt forced, as did Elizabeth being overwhelmed in cutscenes when she had an invisibility plasmid. I think Bioshock 2 complimented Bioshock and explored Big Daddies better than this did.

Crouching pretty much makes you invisible.

Does that depend on the difficulty setting? Because I was playing on Hard and crouching didn't make me invisible to enemies at all. Had to peak around corners very carefully sometimes or they would spot me too quickly.

The Peeping Tom plasmid was awesome, but incredibly OP, lol. You could get a guard to chase you around a corner, then immediately turn invisible and stay invisible (with the upgrade mod) and once he walked up to you, could just whack him in a one-hit knock out. Was amusing, but still fun. Hell, I don't even think you had to go around a corner to make the enemies lose track of you. Just turn invis and stay invis and they will wander around close to you, but usually not attack you. xD

I actually had a great time with the gameplay. Most of my complaints are just about the story itself (which is starting to grow a little on me, but I'm still not really satisfied).

IronRinn

Does that depend on the difficulty setting? Because I was playing on Hard and crouching didn't make me invisible to enemies at all. Had to peak around corners very carefully sometimes or they would spot me too quickly.

The Peeping Tom plasmid was awesome, but incredibly OP, lol. You could get a guard to chase you around a corner, then immediately turn invisible and stay invisible (with the upgrade mod) and once he walked up to you, could just whack him in a one-hit knock out. Was amusing, but still fun. Hell, I don't even think you had to go around a corner to make the enemies lose track of you. Just turn invis and stay invis and they will wander around close to you, but usually not attack you. xD

I actually had a great time with the gameplay. Most of my complaints are just about the story itself (which is starting to grow a little on me, but I'm still not really satisfied).

This is exactly what I was going to say. Even sneaking up on enemies crouched slowly raises their "alarm". This chapter would actually benefit from a lean button on Hard. One side effect of the bars that appear over enemies heads is it make for an excellent way to track them as you circle around an object to get behind them. The bars tend to stick up enough so you can see them when your behind a counter, desk, etc.

Steez

Oh man, I don't want to get too excited for it, but this sounds awesome.

Fuck, I knew it.

Really disappointed with Burial at Sea. The story has this weird and unnecessary fanfic vibe and kinda ruins the excellent ending to Infinite.

Levine is still one of my favorite game designers and it'll be most likely day 1 for me and his next project, but this DLC shouldn't have been.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Even sneaking up on enemies crouched slowly raises their "alarm". This chapter would actually benefit from a lean button on Hard. One side effect of the bars that appear over enemies heads is it make for an excellent way to track them as you circle around an object to get behind them. The bars tend to stick up enough so you can see them when your behind a counter, desk, etc.

Yeah, totally agree about having a lean button. Would have been nice, lol. I do like the way the game lets you know about the enemy's alert status - it's easy to see how close you are to alerting them with the bars above their heads. And yep, even sneaking up slowly on enemies raised the "alert" bar pretty quickly. Definitely wasn't invisible while crouched on Hard, anyways.

The rate at which Splicer suspicion accumulates and decays differs across difficulty modes.

Ah yeah, I thought so. :)

Also, I really like how, if you hang on the hooks long enough, they will start to groan and shake.

lol yes. This caught me off guard once because I was just staying up on a hook for a while waiting for this splicer to turn her back to me so I could pop down behind her. But then suddenly, the hook made this huge noise which alerted all the enemies, and I was like "oh shitttt". xD I don't think I noticed the warning about staying on them too long, lol.

FartOfWar

Banned
Random fun factoid: The original scene I had in the peepshow theater had a pair of Splicers sleeping in the booths. When you entered the stage you stepped on a pressure plate that opened the viewing booth shutters and awoke the Splicers.

IronRinn

Random fun factoid: The original scene I had in the peepshow theater had a pair of Splicers sleeping in the booths. When you entered the stage you stepped on a pressure plate that opened the viewing booth shutters and awoke the Splicers.

I totally blew that encounter. Grabbed Peeping Tom. All right, that dude's there, that dude's there wait wait, circle behind him, ok, he's walking away, gonna pick this lock nice and easy and OH SHIT I SET OFF THE ALARM FUCKFUCKFUCK.

This sounds super cool actually.

SaberVulcan

To my knowledge a handcannon headshot will also kill any splicer on any difficulty setting. Not sure if those values were changed last minute?

Yeah, they don't :(. Only time I would die is if I tried to use handcannon, and shooting point blank in the face they would still be alive. Also couldnt snipe them out with it.

Fuchsdh

I'm less confused about the smut store existing directly across from the little kids school as I am why Ryan would have his academy in Fontaine's department store in the first place.

I'm playing on medium, don't know how it is on higher difficulties. I hope it's better. Still enjoying the game though.

FartOfWar

Banned
I'm less confused about the smut store existing directly across from the little kids school as I am why Ryan would have his academy in Fontaine's department store in the first place.
Several schools. This one is to occupy kids as parents work or shop.

-GJ-

I think I'm stuck. After finding
Old Man Winter for Suchong, you have to find 2 parts. One is in a vending machine, but I can't find the other one.
I've been walking around for like an hour, but I have no idea where to find it.

Ok so I now finally found the kinetoscope from Cohen. Very cool idea indeed.

I'm a little confused since in my first playthrough I didn't meet any ice enemy and now on my second playthrough (both on normal difficulty) there are lots of them

Ok so I now finally found the kinetoscope from Cohen. Very cool idea indeed.

I'm a little confused since in my first playthrough I didn't meet any ice enemy and now on my second playthrough (both on normal difficulty) there are lots of them

i didn't get any ice enemies on my first play through, didn't try a second yet.

Marjar

Banned
Old Man Winter for Suchong, you have to find 2 parts. One is in a vending machine, but I can't find the other one.

It's in a bathysphere development department. I forget what it's called, but it's not too hard to find.

what mode are you playing on? if its not 1999 you can just hit the up arrow.

What you are looking for though is
bathysphere area which is either up one of the stairs or near the stairs...i think the stairs to the left when you first enter the area with the big daddy but can't remember for sure...

I've been there already, but I must have missed the item. I'll check again, thanks!

1998, so that doesn't work, haha. But thanks for the info!

you need to lockpick a room and then pull a lever to get the item out the bathysphere. but it will be hard to miss once you are in the right area because elizabeth will mention it and point out that you need to access that bathysphere somehow

Top Bottom