• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock: The Collection - Announcement Trailer

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Free upgrades for PC owners? Nice! It'll be great to finally have a version of the original BioShock that's, well... not kinda shit. I'm assuming achievements will be in, too, which is a nice plus. Pretty much all I needed to justify a replay.

After the Skyrim Remaster and this, I gotta say I'm loving this new trend of giving free upgrades to Steam owners. It was always this thing where I was on the fence before. Like, I didn't necessarily feel entitled to a free upgrade because I understand that these things cost money to make. But at the same time I kinda felt like they should patch the existing version, which usually kept me from buying the rereleases. Hopefully this becomes a thing that catches on.

Loyalty programs on the PC -- be that a heavy discount or a free upgrade -- have been the norm since, well, remasters/rereleases started happening (The Witcher games are probably the obvious examples). They're probably the most obvious benefit of having a platform that's designed to evolve rather than be superseded.

Sini

So PC pretty much gets the Bioshock Collection for less than $10 if you buy it during the Steam sale right now. What a win.

Also, the game that needs the most work is the first Bioshock. In addition to the new textures and high resolutions and all that, they need to add:

- All the PS3 exclusive DLC
- Steam Achievements
- Steam Cloud support
- Polish up the controller support.
- Address the 30 fps physics.

For Bioshock 2:
- Fix the vending machine sounds

And that's it as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: Oh yes, if possible, an FOV option would be nice!

Also first Bioshock had awful sound issues for many people, sounds cutting out because there being too many of them and crackling. It was fixable, but annoying.
Bioshock 2 had more unfxable issues besides vending machine sound that I can't actually remember right now so this lets me finally play through it.

Also, fun fact: the vending machine sounds were fine til the last patch where they broke them. They never cared to fix it. :/

Daffy Duck

So the consensus for someone who hasn't played any of the games would be buy it now on the steam sale then wait patiently for this collection before enjoying it?

DOWN

Banned
So the consensus for someone who hasn't played any of the games would be buy it now on the steam sale then wait patiently for this collection before enjoying it?
Yeah. Get it cheap now and you'll get the cleaner performing version free in September

If you can get all 3 and the Minerva's Den and Burial At Sea DLC for under $60, then yes.

I'm betting this will be a full price collection, since they're porting and adding in all the single player DLC.

Can't wait, I might replay them. Bioshock 1 had just the right amount of horror and creativity in its setting along with solid gunplay. 2 was excellent gunplay with some great weapons and tools that got bogged down with the general area patterns of gameplay.

Minerva's Den was phenomenal, and Infinite is a great looking game with a neat but not to be over examined storyline. Burial at Sea I wish was a bit more noir than the first scenes hinted at, but it's still fun and has a great way of tidying up some plot points.

Also, this is still one of my favorite screenshots I've ever taken, back when I had twin 670s and 1800p was considered absurd resolution:

11768428216_843b1bbf99_o.png

More Here, if anyone's interested.

I love these games, they have such great aesthetics and the neo-futurism mixed with supernatural / body horror is my type of spooky.

Luke_Wal

It doesn't matter. Most remasters are done by a very small team. Even The Last of Us Remastered, which had a relatively large team in place to port it from the PS3, did not delay any of their games.

There have been some pretty bad remasters; I would say that who's doing it very much matters. That said, I'll probably buy it no matter who it is.

zXe

bioshock 2 had serious mouse acceleration issues on the pc, and caused me to never finish it

Yea, I hope these problems don't persist in the remasters. Not only mouse issues, but fov/widescreen problems and even audio issues. It would be great to load up these games and just play without any tweaking.

flkraven

You can see what licenses we own on our GTs on Xbox but we don't get the update free on consoles. Seeing PC gamers get this shit updated for free just shows how fucked console gamers get it. I'm thinking this Scorpio/Neo thing puts an end to that though.

The combination of Steam Sale prices and free PC upgrade is just to good to pass up.

Can't wait to replay Bioshock. Twas one of my favorite 360 games. Never played the sequels, so that's something to look forward to.

Hey, if they're being remastered, are they switching the first two to a newer Unreal Engine?

I mean, BioShock 1 and 2 are among the few Unreal Engine 2 games to be released after Gears of War kicked off UE3's popularity.

FLD

Loyalty programs on the PC -- be that a heavy discount or a free upgrade -- have been the norm since, well, remasters/rereleases started happening (The Witcher games are probably the obvious examples). They're probably the most obvious benefit of having a platform that's designed to evolve rather than be superseded.

I know, I meant free upgrades specifically. Those are much rarer, in my experience. The Witcher Enhanced Editions are the only major examples that comes to mind for the past few years. Most of them usually still expect you to repurchase the game, even if they offer a loyalty discount.

Trace

Banned
Welp I already own all the Bioshock games on PC, so this is free?

God between this and Skyrim it's nice to see companies giving the free upgrades.

Symphonic

Updating the PC versions free is baller. Just picked up BioShock 2 and Minerva's Den for 5 bucks total. Going to wait until September to play.

Regginator

You'll get It for free. The Steam version of Bio2 came with Minerva's Den added in free.

I don't think this is correct. I bought base BioShock 2 last year (the BioShock Triple Pack to be exact) and it didn't come with Minerva's Den.

I still don't have Minerva's Den, but I want to wait for news whether or not the BioShock 2 remaster has Minerva's Den included, and what its pre-requirements are to qualify for that upgrade.

Fury451

Banned
Wow, it actually looks like effort was put into this. My bio is thoroughly shocked indeed. Will get.

I hope they make Levine do commentary for Bioshock 2.

"Oh, that's a Big Daddy ... I don't know what the fuck is going on, sorry"

Or maybe it would sound too similar to his Bioshock Infinite commentary.

lol

Joeku

I don't think this is correct. I bought base BioShock 2 last year (the BioShock Triple Pack to be exact) and it didn't come with Minerva's Den.

I still don't have Minerva's Den, but I want to wait for news whether or not the BioShock 2 remaster has Minerva's Den included, and what its pre-requirements are to qualify for that upgrade.

I may be wrong, but I think everyone who owned Bio2 while the game was still GFWL may have gotten Minerva's Den for free when they patched it out. I don't think there was a way to transfer DLC purchases from GFWL to your steam account.

Regginator

I may be wrong, but I think everyone who owned Bio2 while the game was still GFWL may have gotten Minerva's Den for free when they patched it out. I don't think there was a way to transfer DLC purchases from GFWL to your steam account.

Hmm yes I think this is probably the case. I got it last year when they already patched away GFWL so I probably missed out on the free dlc.

'Is a man not entitled to the sweat from his brow.'

So ready.

Edit: This game. Pushing 9 years old. Just look at it?

https://youtu.be/QfZ30sfjdLY

I remember playing the demo. That first scene. How incredible it looked. That intro cut scene blew me away. And next minute, here I am, no longer in the cut scene. This is what the game looks like.

Roll on September.

Top Bottom