• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two |OT| The Debt Is Paid

Is it feasible to skip DLC1 and just go straight to this one?

Not really, unless you hop on youtube or something.

I liked the first dlc....I know people shit on it on neogaf...but it's alright, and the season pass gives great value in that regard being that you get about a total of 10 or more hours of single player content total + clash in the clouds.

Yep. The first one's pretty much irrelevant.

wha? even if you dislike the game/ending/story it doesn't change the fact that BaS1 is the link between infinite, BaS2 and bioshock. jumping from the end of infinite and then into BaS2 would kinda be like what? why did that happen?
whats the deal with booker? why is this stuff at the beginning happening? why is elizabeth/anna in the bioshock world, why is she trying to save a little sister? so on and so forth
. It is still integral to play if you want a better understanding of what's going on.

wha? even if you dislike the game/ending/story it doesn't change the fact that BaS1 is the link between infinite, BaS2 and bioshock. jumping from the end of infinite and then into BaS2 would kinda be like what? why did that happen?
whats the deal with booker? why is this stuff at the beginning happening? why is elizabeth/anna in the bioshock world, why is she trying to save a little sister? so on and so forth
. It is still integral to play if you want a better understanding of what's going on.

Agreed. I can't imagine going straight from Infinite's ending to BaS2. Would be so confused.

Okay, finished the DLC.
I love Bioshock, probably my favorite trilogy of all time. I also loved the first episode.
But Episode 2? I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong. It's still Bioshock, it's fun to play and the atmosphere is great. The intro was fantastic and the ending...well...shit. And everything else felt mediocre. There's no sense of a real "connected" world. Just some linear levels. The
Rapture par
t was disappointing because I like
Rapture more than Columbia
and we only got a small environment. It's nothing compared to Episode 1. Something is clearly missing here. I can't put my finger on it though.
I don't like the story....and I don't like the connection to Bioshock 1. I really hope it's not
the same universe because it wouldn't make any sense.
They completely destroyed the story of Bioshock 1 and 2. Some questions just don't need answers. Definitely the worst Bioshock Story- DLC.
This DLC changed my mind. Bioshock 1 + 2 are awesome and Bioshock Infinite should never have happened.

Edit:
Why is Ken Levine ignoring Bioshock 2? This is bullshit, the game was awesome

Levyne

Banned
Just finished it. I was somewhat thorough, but not exhaustively so. Ending up with something like 21/25 recordings, though I did finish the optional objective.

The ending was a little bit predictable, but if you've played other Bioshocks, it's nice to see things wrap together like that.

leng jai

Not really, unless you hop on youtube or something.

I liked the first dlc....I know people shit on it on neogaf...but it's alright, and the season pass gives great value in that regard being that you get about a total of 10 or more hours of single player content total + clash in the clouds.

Are season pass' region locked? Only $20 on Amazon which seems like crazy good value.

Veelk

Banned
I think I may have ran into a glitch or something.

I just got out of the submarine base thingy and need to get Old Man Winter, so I'm in the main area to do that. It's been respawned with splicers, but they wouldn't be a big problem if not for one thing.

The big daddy has it out for me. By default, he is walking around like usual, but if I'm spotted, he instantly goes into red mode. He doesn't care if he spots me himself, to be clear. But if another splicer sees me, he joins their side and starts attacking. At first I thought I was just accidentally hitting him somehow, but I tested it. He was between me and another splicer. The splicer spotted me and started shooting me. The bullets probably hit him in the splicers attempt to shoot me, but he still goes after me instead of the splicer anyway. The asshole.

Is this a glitch or what?

Are season pass' region locked? Only $20 on Amazon which seems like crazy good value.

No clue honestly....someone else could probably answer that. But, isn't it $20 on steam?

I think I may have ran into a glitch or something.

I just got out of the submarine base thingy and need to get Old Man Winter, so I'm in the main area to do that. It's been respawned with splicers, but they wouldn't be a big problem if not for one thing.

The big daddy has it out for me. By default, he is walking around like usual, but if I'm spotted, he instantly goes into red mode. He doesn't care if he spots me himself, to be clear. But if another splicer sees me, he joins their side and starts attacking. At first I thought I was just accidentally hitting him somehow, but I tested it. He was between me and another splicer. The splicer spotted me and started shooting me. The bullets probably hit him in the splicers attempt to shoot me, but he still goes after me instead of the splicer anyway. The asshole.

Is this a glitch or what?

No clue, I just know the one time i got caught by a splicer and big daddy in that area they both went after me until I ran and went invis...and then they started fighting each other, and Big daddy proceeded to destroy them as I watched with peeping tom.

Levyne

Banned
I actually liked how it felt like you have to use the vigors, even if the one did seem a bit overpowered..

Loved having a smaller health pool.

A-V-B

I actually liked how it felt like you have to use the vigors, even if the one did seem a bit overpowered..

Loved having a smaller health pool.

Vigor. :p

Peeping tom is literally all I used. Though to be honest, I had a stealth playthrough. No idea what people would use in a combat playthrough.

Vigor. :p

Peeping tom is literally all I used. Though to be honest, I had a stealth playthrough. No idea what people would use in a combat playthrough.

Yeah, I used Peeping Tom 95% of the time - especially after you get the upgrade
that makes it basically free to use.
I had fun using it, though.

jakomocha

It depends how much of the story of Bioshock 1 you know. IMO, it's pretty crucial to have played Bioshock 1 before playing Burial at Sea Episode 2 or at least know the big key characters and plots/twists. I think you can skip Bioshock 2 (in as far as having to play it for BaS to make sense).
Well, if fully enjoying Bioshock Burial at Sea requires playing Bioshock 1 (which I plan on buying) and Bioshock 2 (which I already own) then I guess it is best to play those before it rather than after. The reason I asked was because I really want to play Burial at Sea soon, but I don't want my experience of it to be ruined or hampered. As for my knowledge on the original Bioshock, I just know about the famous ending and what the world is (Rapture). Not really much else. And since I own Bioshock 2 already (came with my PS3), then it's kind of pointless to not play it as well. This just means I won't be playing BaS for quite a while because I'm really slow at beating games and I'll probably want some break time between 1 and 2 so that I don't get burned out of the franchise, but the way it seems this is much better than not playing either until after BaS.

Levyne

Banned
I actually don't remember much at all about the stories of Bioshock 2 and the Minerva's den dlc, and I just played them last year ;_;

pakkit

Banned
Either play Bioshock Infinite, then Burial at Sea, and then Bioshock 1 or play Bioshock 1, then Infinite, and then Burial at Sea.

It seems like BaS is kind of set up to encourage players who started with Infinite to then play BaS and get curious enough to go play Bioshock 1. The problem is that a lot of the huge payoffs in Bioshock 1 are spoiled in BaS (although the entire picture is not revealed, and Bioshock 1 still has the best gameplay of the Irrational Bioshocks).

But as far as mechanics go, I'd still say that Bioshock 2 is the best game of the lot. It may not contribute to Ken's fiction, but the mechanics are refined and the shooting feels good and the story, even if viewed as non-canonical, is worth playing through.

jakomocha

Either play Bioshock Infinite, then Burial at Sea, and then Bioshock 1 or play Bioshock 1, then Infinite, and then Burial at Sea.

It seems like BaS is kind of set up to encourage players who started with Infinite to then play BaS and get curious enough to go play Bioshock 1. The problem is that a lot of the huge payoffs in Bioshock 1 are spoiled in BaS (although the entire picture is not revealed, and Bioshock 1 still has the best gameplay of the Irrational Bioshocks).

But as far as mechanics go, I'd still say that Bioshock 2 is the best game of the lot. It may not contribute to Ken's fiction, but the mechanics are refined and the shooting feels good and the story, even if viewed as non-canonical, is worth playing through.
Wait, I'm confused: Bioshock 2 is non-canon or can be viewed as non-canonical? And also (no spoilers please), are there any nods, references, or even huge twists that tie in with Bioshock 2 in BaS? Or is it mainly just a love letter to Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite?

It doesn't require playing Bioshock 2. But you will definitely want to play Bioshock 1. but Bioshock 2 is a good game, so still play that. :D
Just play Bioshock 1+2 and forget about BAS 1+2. It'll, be a much better experience (yes, I hate Episode 2)
don't listen to this guy! play all of them. enjoy life.
2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

I think I'm just going to play all of them (BaS included), even though that will take me a while. I'll probably pick up the original Bioshock for $5 on PSN with the sale that is currently going on.

Fuchsdh

Wait, I'm confused: Bioshock 2 is non-canon or can be viewed as non-canonical? And also (no spoilers please), are there any nods, references, or even huge twists that tie in with Bioshock 2 in BaS? Or is it mainly just a love letter to Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite?

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

I think I'm just going to play all of them (BaS included), even though that will take me a while. I'll probably pick up the original Bioshock for $5 on PSN with the sale that is currently going on.

I don't think you can go wrong playing them all. Personally I think your final opinions will depend heavily on what side of the story/gameplay coin you lean; I've always played Bioshock for the story, as I've felt the combat in all the games got tedious or finicky. Other people are the complete opposite.

Honestly, I feel like Levine sees Bioshock 2 has non-canon to his Bioshock universe (which is his choice; he - and his studio - didn't make that game and wasn't apart of the story discussion as far as I know). I don't know about references/nods to Bioshock 2, but BaS is mainly dealing with Infinite and Bioshock 1. There are really no plot-related things dealing with Bioshock 2 in BaS.

Lunaniem

BaS doesn't touch Bioshock 2 at all.

Since Bio2 wasn't made by Irrational and takes place 10 years after the original, many consider it not be canon. Either way, it's definitely worth playing.

void666

Banned
I still don't know what to think about the story. I mean, i don't like how they force explanations and how they link things between both universes. But i do like to see more of rapture.
Hated the gameplay at first but as soon as they give you more options it's good. Better than infinite actually.

And man, this DLC is beautiful. I had my jaw dropped the whole way. The light effects, art, everything is beautifull.
I've been playing nothing but dark souls 2 on ps3 lately. Shitty resolution and fps.
Then i play this on my PC. Had many eyegasms.

So I'm
in Fontaine's headquarters, ready to put the thing into the other thing in order to lift the department store (it's after defeating Ryan's Men). I haven't done it yet, but I've reached Fontaine's executive suite, and I'm ready to do it

How much farther?

So I'm
in Fontaine's headquarters, ready to put the thing into the other thing in order to lift the department store (it's after defeating Ryan's Men). I haven't done it yet, but I've reached Fontaine's executive suite, and I'm ready to do it

How much farther?

20-30 minutes
, maybe more if you like to take it slow

Dmax3901

So I got the first noisemaker and now I can't switch back to regular darts. Fucking annoying glitch for a game like this.

Just finished this last night, it was an interesting thing. Even if it's just fanservicey retcon I really liked seeing more rapture and things like events from original Bioshock's audiologs play out. I thought the playstyle as Elizabeth was really fun, and it shows that the other Bioshock games could've been even better if they'd gone full immersive sim.

Has anyone finished this both violently and nonviolently? I'm just wondering if there are some differences in Elizabeth's behaviour if you kill everyone. There are some lines that would certainly feel out of place after having just slaughtered 10 people, like something along the lines of "just a girl and a lockpick".

Fuchsdh

Just finished this last night, it was an interesting thing. Even if it's just fanservicey retcon I really liked seeing more rapture and things like events from original Bioshock's audiologs play out. I thought the playstyle as Elizabeth was really fun, and it shows that the other Bioshock games could've been even better if they'd gone full immersive sim.

Has anyone finished this both violently and nonviolently? I'm just wondering if there are some differences in Elizabeth's behaviour if you kill everyone. There are some lines that would certainly feel out of place after having just slaughtered 10 people, like something along the lines of "just a girl and a lockpick".
You expect your choices to make a difference? In a Bioshock game?

You expect your choices to make a difference? In a Bioshock game?

Well the equivalent from the first game (little sisters) made a difference in the way other characters treated the player, so I was hoping for something like that. Infinite didn't provide any choices to make so there was nothing to expect.

Anyone else crash a lot playing on PC? I have a 780 Ti with the latest drivers. I managed to finish the episode, but I crashed about two dozen times. No joke.

Fuchsdh

Well the equivalent from the first game (little sisters) made a difference in the way other characters treated the player, so I was hoping for something like that. Infinite didn't provide any choices to make so there was nothing to expect.

Well, I'm joking with you, insofar as your choices in Levin's Bioshocks have always been limited and binary :p Sorry to say it doesn't. The amount of time they spent building it up suggests that it was an idea that prolly got scrapped early on.

This is longer than I was expecting, thought I would finish it during my last session. Pleasantly surprised.

Some environments and scenes are pretty disturbing, can't wait to see how it ends.

The trip to
Fink's lab
provided some great insight into several aspects of Bioshock's lore.
The whole "imprint" aspect was interesting, in the end it came down to a simple gesture of goodwill.

I'm only two hours in to BaS Ep2 so far but -for me at least- Irrational are unequaled in creating worlds...and ones that are interesting to explore. That intro too...damn. So good. I wasn't expecting that. Episode 1 makes more sense in the context of this DLC. I wish that I'd played them concurrently now.

Has anyone else noticed that Courtnee has raised it up a notch with her voice acting? It was outstanding in Infinite. It's somehow even better in BaS Ep2. Levine really nailed the his choice of voice actors for his story.

Anyway, back to Rapture...

She did a fantastic job in the DLC (and everything really), but especially toward the end.

I'm only two hours in to BaS Ep2 so far but -for me at least- Irrational are unequaled in creating worlds...and ones that are interesting to explore. That intro too...damn. So good. I wasn't expecting that. Episode 1 makes more sense in the context of this DLC. I wish that I'd played them concurrently now.

Has anyone else noticed that Courtnee has raised it up a notch with her voice acting? It was outstanding in Infinite. It's somehow even better in BaS Ep2. Levine really nailed the his choice of voice actors for his story.

Anyway, back to Rapture...

She is fantastic. Especially considering that this time she had convey the feelings to player first hand.

Agreed, so glad that we have such incredibly talented actors in the industry now.
It's a shame she and Ashley had to compete for the Bafta, in any other year she would've won. There was also Ellen Page, she was great too. Damn, last year was incredible in that regard.

Nicktendo86

I guess this is good a place as any to say I've renewed my PS plus sub after not having one for a year and downloaded BioShock infinite today, only about an hour in but love, love, love it so far. The atmosphere and world is amazing, I fucking love PS plus.

Bought the season pass for Infinite right after beating the game last year, still haven't downloaded a single DLC with it. Gonna grab DLC 1 and 2 soon and see how I feel about Bioshock Infinite as a whole afterward.

I guess this is good a place as any to say I've renewed my PS plus sub after not having one for a year and downloaded BioShock infinite today, only about an hour in but love, love, love it so far. The atmosphere and world is amazing, I fucking love PS plus.

Hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, Infinite was my GOTY for 2013. It's not perfect, but it stuck with me longer than most every game last year.... which is kind of why the DLCs were somewhat disappointing to me. I think they were well-crafted, but I didn't like the direction of the story in the DLCs (especially after Infinite's amazing (imo) story).

vladdamad

Finally finished this. I started out absolutely loving everything, the art direction was spectacular, the stealth gameplay felt really fresh, loads of surprises (particularly the one at around the halfway point when
you go back to Columbia
, although to be honest I was kind of expecting this to happen).

Alarm bells started to go off when, also halfway through the DLC,
they did the whole Daisy Fitzroy retcon.
This felt really unnecessary and cast the original game in a new light (not in a good way). Unfortunately, this is also true for the ending, which I thought was absolutely terrible. I realise that there was an attempt to provide a nice conclusion for the series but this attempt, at least for me, failed catastrophically, with all the games in the series seeming worse now instead of better.

Perhaps the worst part of the DLC is the fact that there's a huge tease that an unresolved question from Infinite was about to be answered
the origin of Songbird, when they are about to reveal who is inside the suit
, and then that whole plotline is just dropped without a proper resolution. Really disappointing.

It's a real shame, considering the rest of the DLC was absolutely fantastic, the intro in particular, which is spectacular. I think I'll be fine pretending that it's just fan-fiction.

A-V-B

F
Perhaps the worst part of the DLC is the fact that there's a huge tease that an unresolved question from Infinite was about to be answered
the origin of Songbird, when they are about to reveal who is inside the suit
, and then that whole plotline is just dropped without a proper resolution. Really disappointing.

Yeah, Elizabeth's answer of "who cares?" disappointed the shit out of me. That's just irresponsible story telling, especially when you just built up an ENTIRE AREA around what it could be... then you say, "nah, just trollin, LOL"

It feels very much like fan fiction, totally.

Top Bottom