• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two |OT| The Debt Is Paid

I feel like people my age only know Piaf from Inception and games like this, but I can't complain. She's an awesome singer and it's great to see more people get exposed to her. What I didn't learn until I sat through the BaS credits is that she's the person who actually wrote "La Vie en Rose". Never knew that, though I'd always preferred her version.

I actually know Edith Piaf from studying music and just reading about her, actually, so no outside media introduced me to her music. For me, I know of the music before something introduces me to it.

I've just
picked up the key for Fink's clock in Columbia
. How much further is there to go?

About that
the Praying Room in Fink's home is a little bit strange for me. I feel like there should be a Voxophone in there but I didn't find anything. Or did I miss it? I don't feel like this room makes any sense otherwise

IronRinn

About that
the Praying Room in Fink's home is a little bit strange for me. I feel like there should be a Voxophone in there but I didn't find anything. Or did I miss it? I don't feel like this room makes any sense otherwise

I feel like it's just there
to show you that he doesn't use it, and thinks it's all a sham.

LeonSPBR

About that

There is no Voxophone there. I think it's there just to show that he wasn't a devout even with his own
prayer room. Since he has written all that stuff, it shows that he prefer profit over the city religion and way of thinking.

Soonri

Gave up some sleep to grind a couple hours on this. I'm
where you can turn Fink's clock as well
and I only have like 10 audio logs/voxophones, are there a bunch at the end or did I miss em all at the beginning?

LeonSPBR

Gave up some sleep to grind a couple hours on this. I'm
where you can turn Fink's clock as well
and I only have like 10 audio logs/voxophones, are there a bunch at the end or did I miss em all at the beginning?

You missed half of them.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when
Elizabeth decodes stuff? In particular, the song that plays when she decodes the two Big Daddy/Little Sister notes in the lab area at the end of the game.

Gartooth

In the OT and Spoiler thread I spent most of my time ragging on about the plot of BaS Ep2, rather than talking about the game at large which was mostly an incredibly positive experience. Now I feel like poop for talking bad about Irrational's last project. :(

In the OT and Spoiler thread I spent most of my time ragging on about the plot of BaS Ep2, rather than talking about the game at large which was mostly an incredibly positive experience. Now I feel like poop for talking bad about Irrational's last project. :(

I think it seems a lot easier (and probably more satisfying for some people?) to talk about things you don't like on forums. That's where most of the debates start from, so I don't think you should feel bad about that. We all do it from time to time. :p Especially about games we feel very passionate about.

That said, I've tried to also talk about the stuff I really enjoyed with the DLC - there's a lot to love about it. Honestly, I really liked everything about the DLC except the story (there are even aspects to the story that I did like - dat fucking intro... might be the best one in the series). The DLC was so well crafted, and you could tell a lot of time and effort went into making it. But I don't think we should hold off on criticizing the story if we had issues with it.

leng jai

Yup I caved yesterday and that was a sucker punch. Made me wait an entire hour before I could play it. Got to play a little bit and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.

1 hour? With my atrocious Steam download speeds it took almost and entire day.Finished Episode 1 and played a few hours of 2. The first instalment was solid but nothing special. It pretty much reinforced the fact that the combat in BI was by far the its weakest aspect. It just never feels satisfying or smooth, at leas for me.

Episode 2....wow is all I can say. The intro, despite not being a set piece, simply blew me away with its subtle attention to detail and immersion. It was a timely reminder of just how good the art in Infinite was. The focus on stealth gameplay was an excellent decision. Not only did it alleviate the issue of poor combat, it also placed more emphasis on atmosphere and really allowed you to soak in your surroundings. Definitely vindication for those threads suggesting that BI was done in the wrong genre.

Gartooth

I think it seems a lot easier (and probably more satisfying for some people?) to talk about things you don't like on forums. That's where most of the debates start from, so I don't think you should feel bad about that. We all do it from time to time. :p Especially about games we feel very passionate about.

That said, I've tried to also talk about the stuff I really enjoyed with the DLC - there's a lot to love about it. Honestly, I really liked everything about the DLC except the story (there are even aspects to the story that I did like - dat fucking intro... might be the best one in the series). The DLC was so well crafted, and you could tell a lot of time and effort went into making it. But I don't think we should hold off on criticizing the story if we had issues with it.

Yeah, I don't want to sugarcoat things that I didn't like about it. At the same time I came across as incredibly negative in some of my posts when in truth I did love things in this game such as the intro and playing as Elizabeth with all the new changes to the gameplay formula she brought with her.

Yeah, I don't want to sugarcoat things that I didn't like about it. At the same time I came across as incredibly negative in some of my posts when in truth I did love things in this game such as the intro and playing as Elizabeth with all the new changes to the gameplay formula she brought with her.

Yeah, for sure. I think I, too, came off as overly negative upon first completing it. It might be due to my own expectations of where I wanted the story to go vs what they had in mind from the very beginning. After taking some time to look at the DLC again a few days later, I've come to appreciate a lot more about it. There's a ton of small things in the story I liked as well (like I said, the intro is god-tier, I loved the
"Booker... I miss you." line in the elevator
, Courtnee Draper did a fucking fantastic performance as Elizabeth in pretty much every scene). And I really enjoyed the new gameplay with Elizabeth. I was someone who actually enjoyed Bioshock Infinite's gameplay, but the new stealth mechanics felt great. Peeping Tom, while overpowered with the mods, was really fun to use (even if it did break the game somewhat lol). Crossbow was satisfying... Felt like a mini-Dishonored (which is a compliment as far as gameplay goes). The music was great as well (I'm still wanting to know the name of that one track I mentioned a few posts up). I shouldn't even have to mention it, but the visual style and graphics were amazing - I thought Bioshock Infinite (main game) was one of the best looking games of 2013, and it continues here in the DLC. There's so many great and small details, too.

I still have many complaints about the story, but rewatching some of the scenes later, I like how it was directed (even if I didn't like what was going on in the actual scene). *shrug*

I still want to consider the story more of a spin-off and pretend the Bioshock Infinite was where the game really concluded.

Lijik

I sat and listened to this 2-3 times until I was sure i heard all of it. It was a nice moment. I dislike the overarching story in both of the DLCs but theres lots of cool individual scenes

The focus on stealth gameplay was an excellent decision. Not only did it alleviate the issue of poor combat, it also placed more emphasis on atmosphere and really allowed you to soak in your surroundings. Definitely vindication for those threads suggesting that BI was done in the wrong genre.

I thought the stealth was kind of braindead in its mechanics (especially when you get the peeping tom upgrades), but I can let it slide since its being bolted onto a game that didnt have them in the first place. I did wind up taking in more of atmosphere in Fontaine's Department Store here than in Ep 1, so I'd be all for a Bioshock game that focused on first person stealth from the very beginning.

EDIT- Maybe they do in 1998 mode, but I thought itd be neat if the enemies actually noticed that corpses were being piled up in the same place instead of just going about their normal routines while I kept racking them up. I know enemies are more likely to shoot at your last visible location in the harder difficulties so maybe theres less of a chance to make corpse piles in a corner

Aces&Eights

To be honest, I'm kind of sad to start it up. This is the last time I will ever get to see the Bioshock universe and that just plain olé sucks. Glad to hear, though, that it's a meaty piece of dlc. Maybe I'll just turn off the phone this weekend and let myself do a full completion of it and then sit in remembrance of the Bioshock universe.

Thank you, Irrational Games, I proudly bought each game new to support you guys/gals.

Fuchsdh

The immense talent of the Irrational team just makes me sad that they* felt that the studio had to be blown apart rather than exist without Levine.

*And I have no idea if that was Levine, Irrational's parents, a third party or some amalgamation. Still sucks.

Gartooth

I wonder what will 2K do with the Bioshock IP.

I'd rather they just let it die and keep its legacy intact. The games have a lot of personality and it comes from the people that made it, I'm not sure if another team would be able to give an authentic feeling Bioshock game. I assume Levine and his team has no interest to return to the series either.

leng jai

I sat and listened to this 2-3 times until I was sure i heard all of it. It was a nice moment. I dislike the overarching story in both of the DLCs but theres lots of cool individual scenes

I thought the stealth was kind of braindead in its mechanics (especially when you get the peeping tom upgrades), but I can let it slide since its being bolted onto a game that didnt have them in the first place. I did wind up taking in more of atmosphere in Fontaine's Department Store here than in Ep 1, so I'd be all for a Bioshock game that focused on first person stealth from the very beginning.

EDIT- Maybe they do in 1998 mode, but I thought itd be neat if the enemies actually noticed that corpses were being piled up in the same place instead of just going about their normal routines while I kept racking them up. I know enemies are more likely to shoot at your last visible location in the harder difficulties so maybe theres less of a chance to make corpse piles in a corner

The stealth wasn't implemented too well that's for sure. The splicers were dumb as hell and blind as bricks. "Good enough" is probably how I would categorise the gameplay. It's the fact that it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the rest of the game that made it far superior to the FPS that the core game and first DLC were trying to be.

rataven

Just finished this. My feelings are sooooo mixed. The ending felt really messy and the big
Daisy retcon
was irritating. But Elizabeth made a great lead and I found the stealth surpassingly serviceable. Rapture is still a huge treat to explore too; these locations just don't get old for me. But that ending. Yeesh.

So I guess maybe I enjoyed it? I don't even know. I'd still like to eventually platinum and 100% Infinite, so maybe on a repeat visit I'll feel less acrimonious towards the final act. But I can't help feeling that only more questions opened up with some still annoyingly left hanging
(Songbird, anyone?)
and it doesn't seem likely we'll ever get proper answers now.

I'm at
the part where Ryan sends in goons to kill you.
Any advice on how to beat it? The flaming Houdini guy takes a lot of shots and I always run out of ammo and eve before I kill them all.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'm at
Any advice on how to beat it? The flaming Houdini guy takes a lot of shots and I always run out of ammo and eve before I kill them all.

Freezing them then shooting them does alot of damage. That's the best tip I can give.

I'm at

if you can get behind him via peeping tom....which in part, takes some anticipation and patience....a melee attack from behind is insta kill on him.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I just
fixed Suchong's Lutece device and entered Columbia
. How much more is there? Put in a little over 3 hours so far and it's so good damnit!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So I enjoyed it overall. The intro was really something special and I enjoyed the stealth option even if it was a little limited. As others have said it would be great to be able to play a stealth option throughout the whole game as I enjoyed it so much more than the regular combat.

The story was fun, interestingly I found it very predictable rather than shocking in any way. As other have said though it does feel somewhat unnecessary but that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable. It was a nice send off I think.

The most important part for me was the new gameplay style though. It's true it's quite limited but I think it shows just how wasted the concept of plasmids/vigors were in the end. Imagine if each one allowed a different play style/different class style rather than everything being offensive only.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sweet. Between this and part 1 I'll have gotten close to 9-10 hours of gameplay out of Burial at Sea, pretty much a whole 2nd campaign. We'll worth the $20 of the season pass.

Hylian7

This thing is a bitch near the end on 1998. Those firemen-like guys (don't know what they were called) Are annoying as hell since they don't die to handcannon shots and only tranquilizer darts. Getting close to them is out of the question.

This thing is a bitch near the end on 1998. Those firemen-like guys (don't know what they were called) Are annoying as hell since they don't die to handcannon shots and only tranquilizer darts. Getting close to them is out of the question.

i ended up just running passed a lot of stuff on 1998 mode. I was done with the whole dlc in about an hour, not including cutscenes

FartOfWar

Banned

Old Man Winter

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The hell?
I lowered the bathysphere and am now trying to make the jump to get the CO2 scrubber, but the distance the arrow is showing seems impossible to traverse. Tried running and jumping a million ways and it always fall short. Is Liz supposed to have a double jump? Am I missing something?

This part:

http://i.minus.com/ioh9SRO6OEf57.jpg

Top Bottom