• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two |OT| The Debt Is Paid

Ricker

Enjoying this but a little more of a EVE meter would of been nice...I get to one section where I have to repair something but I am out of Eve...respawning ennemies are also a little annoying...and I still get that stutter that it seems they never fixed on PC...

Fuchsdh

Hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, Infinite was my GOTY for 2013. It's not perfect, but it stuck with me longer than most every game last year.... which is kind of why the DLCs were somewhat disappointing to me. I think they were well-crafted, but I didn't like the direction of the story in the DLCs (especially after Infinite's amazing (imo) story).

Oh I think it was my GOTY for 2013 too. For all my complaints with it, I stopped after I played it and really just wanted to *talk* to someone about it--and that didn't have anything to do with the ending (which personally I don't see as mindfucky as some people treated it.) There's a lot of maybe objectively better or more polished games that I don't have that urge to discuss with other people and I do think there's real value in that, even if you get the crazy "Infinite is racist" comments thrown in.

Since Infinite gives us multiverses, I do wonder what would have happened if we got Columbia-centered DLC instead. What would you have focused on? I think having something that put you in the Vox Populi could have been interesting—a legitimate point brought up in one of the "racist!" comments was that while we see a little of the "I'm a progressive!" bit from the Founders, we didn't see how more moderate Vox might have viewed the changing and more extreme position they were taking, or what happened to those moderate Founders too. Other than getting to explore a more alive Columbia with more time before things go to shit, or perhaps doing something more with Elizabeth's tear powers, I dunno what I would have done. Infinite definitely left me wanting more, but I think it was smart to cut it where it did as well. Sometimes you can only spoil things by appeasing that urge.

Curufinwe

Oh you should, cause I still really liked BaS2 (and BI was my GotY). I just found myself running out of ammo/getting killed and restarting checkpoints a bit too often for my liking. First person stealth isn't exactly my forte. I don't think I would have made it thru the whole of Dishonored if it only had checkpoints and didn't let you make your own save points.

Marjar

Banned
Honestly, when I think about it, Clash in the Clouds was my favorite of the DLC. :p

Not because Burial at Sea was bad, but because CitC was all about the combat, which I actually really loved in Infinite, and showed how diverse and interesting the combat could be if you experimented.
Plus it didn't muddy up the story by attempting to connect it to the original game.

I like to look at Burial at Sea as a "what if" fan-service-y thing that doesn't really have to be seen as canon. Infinite's actual ending is a better ending imo.

Fuchsdh

Honestly, when I think about it, Clash in the Clouds was my favorite of the DLC. :p

Not because Burial at Sea was bad, but because CitC was all about the combat, which I actually really loved in Infinite, and showed how diverse and interesting the combat could be if you experimented.
Plus it didn't muddy up the story by attempting to connect it to the original game.

I like to look at Burial at Sea as a "what if" fan-service-y thing that doesn't really have to be seen as canon. Infinite's actual ending is a better ending imo.

I know a lot of people give Infinite's combat crap, but personally I enjoyed it a lot more than all the other games. I hated having a backpack full of guns in BS1 and 2--coming from Halo, it felt like a throwback, and I would constantly get into firefights where I'd be trying to change my ammo type. The switch to two-weapons at a time plus the really consistent use of vigors over plasmids was great.

That said I still think the combat has always been the weakest point of the Bioshock series. I've got three achievements in CiC to polish off to complete the game entirely though so I'll be dipping back into it. Loved the exhibition room where you could unlock things--the Handymen looked much better with the 'stache.

Apdiddy

Up to
Siege of the Silver Fin.

Fucking bullshit. And this is coming from someone who beat BioShock Infinite in 1999 Mode AND got the Platinum.

I want to be able to pull Motorized Patriots or Big Daddies through tears, instead I'm running around laying Old Man Winter traps, hoping the idiot enemies will get killed by them.

Fuchsdh

Up to
Siege of the Silver Fin.

Fucking bullshit. And this is coming from someone who beat BioShock Infinite in 1999 Mode AND got the Platinum.

I want to be able to pull Motorized Patriots or Big Daddies through tears, instead I'm running around laying Old Man Winter traps, hoping the idiot enemies will get killed by them.

You should just be spamming Peeping Tom. The only enemy that poses a threat are the Houdini firemen, as they'll teleport away with a flame burst. Everyone else will just forget you exist and you can creep up on them.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, Infinite was my GOTY for 2013. It's not perfect, but it stuck with me longer than most every game last year.... which is kind of why the DLCs were somewhat disappointing to me. I think they were well-crafted, but I didn't like the direction of the story in the DLCs (especially after Infinite's amazing (imo) story).

Burial at Sea pt2 was probably one of my favorite story-based gameplay sections ever. The stealth bias combined with the atmosphere (Rapture) ended with me listening to so many more idle conversations.

Plus, I just love the ending.

Fuchsdh

Burial at Sea pt2 was probably one of my favorite story-based gameplay sections ever. The stealth bias combined with the atmosphere (Rapture) ended with me listening to so many more idle conversations.

Only so many times I can hear splicers conplaining that someone's going to watch them in the privy next though.

Apdiddy

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Terrible ending. I actually liked Episode One better.

The DLC practically hits you over the head that Elizabeth's actions caused the events of BioShock. They also make it obvious that she's not the Elizabeth of BioShock Infinite -- she doesn't have time-altering powers. But it practically closes the entire BioShock series and basically spins Infinite off into a parallel universe.

The one thing I did like though was that the DLC didn't have Ryan = Comstock = DeWitt like many people (including myself) thought at the end of Infinite.

I hated the stealth-focused gameplay at first, but I grew to love it.

Lautaro

Man, the stealth game play was kind of broken, skyrim-broken in fact.

I still enjoyed the DLC but it had it's problems... and the formula was getting stale (ggod thing the series ended then).

ButchCat

How is it that no one commented on how IG managed to redefine creepiness?
vjAVsj4.jpg

ButchCat

I was wondering the same exact thing. I saw that earlier today and got a screenshot too lmao.

The punchline "Good afternoon my little cabbage! I adore you." doesn't make it any better either. That old man's head..gives me the shivers I swear.

FartOfWar

Banned

Happy to hear someone took the time to listen in on these (talking about the extended Splicer scenes, not the systemic barking). It took tons of work to set these up so that they wouldn't break in edge cases. Joe Fielder wrote the dialogues/monologues.

How is it that no one commented on how IG managed to redefine creepiness?
vjAVsj4.jpg

lol, I saw that kid as well. I was like "WTF". xD

I think the main characters of the Bioshock series look great (in particular Booker/Elizabeth/Luteces/Atlas/etc), but I always thought the NPCs in all the games looked SO weird. Something always felt off about them, but especially the children. I honestly don't know which is creepier - the Little Sisters or the kid in your screenshot. Both are the things of nightmares.

Happy to hear someone took the time to listen in on these (talking about the extended Splicer scenes, not the systemic barking). It took tons of work to set these up so that they wouldn't break in edge cases. Joe Fielder wrote the dialogues/monologues.

Did he also write the song that one guy with the guitar was singing toward the beginning of the game? I thought it was pretty catchy, lol. Stayed around listening for a minute or two.

FartOfWar

Banned
lol, I saw that kid as well. I was like "WTF". xD

I think the main characters of the Bioshock series look great (in particular Booker/Elizabeth/Luteces/Atlas/etc), but I always thought the NPCs in all the games looked SO weird. Something always felt off about them, but especially the children. I honestly don't know which is creepier - the Little Sisters or the kid in your screenshot. Both are the things of nightmares.

Did he also write the song that one guy with the guitar was singing toward the beginning of the game? I thought it was pretty catchy, lol. Stayed around listening for a minute or two.

Yeah. He wrote the Old Man Winter jingle as well.

ButchCat

They are a nice touch something that was lacking in the original BS:I, however they do sometimes get muddled up with the "systemic barking" and it becomes harder to pinpoint old versus new.

The DLC reignited and reassured my love for Rapture over Columbia.

So is there anymore combat after
you battle your way to Fontaine's office in the Manta Ray lounge? This "battle" is after Ryan sends enemies your way

LeonSPBR

Just finished Ep2 and wow this is an awesome conclusion. Never expected
Elizabeth be the one that saves Atlas and give him the activation phrase. Seeing the ending of this episode and Elizabeth seeing that her sacrifice would actually bring Jack to rapture so that he would break the circle was amazing in my opinion. Although not showing Jack face was ridiculous. And where is the others little sisters that he saves?? He end up saving 5 not 3 little sisters in Bioshock 1.

Listening to that damn audio tape that Suchong makes Jack kill the puppy was interisting in this case since it shows that Elizabeth knows what "Would you Kindly" means before giving it to Atlas. And seeing Suchong dying was really awesome.

Now this ending is giving me a desire to play Bioshock por the ninth time...

Dead

well not really...yet
Welp got the game off ps+ and bought the season pass. Hoping to go through both parts tomorrow. Can't wait.

Finished it!

I actually kind of liked Episode 1 a bit more actually, but both were great.

Oh, and that intro was....breathtaking. Paris! Now I have an Edith Piaf album somewhere, so I'm going to dig that up and listen to it

Dimefan3

So I just finished it. I liked it, not a big fan of stealth though, so really bumbled my way through most parts. I think I'm also going to treat the ending as a sort of 'fan fiction'. Especially the last 5 seconds, which just made me scream at the TV.

How dare you do that to Elizabeth, Ken Levine.

SnakeEyes

Banned
How dare you do that to Elizabeth, Ken Levine.

Pretty much my exact same response; I just finished episode 2 about 5 minutes ago, and the ending was well done but (I felt) quite abrupt. Would have preferred a more expanded ending - I sat through the credits in hope that there'd be a post-credits sequence...

Fuchsdh

Finished it!

I actually kind of liked Episode 1 a bit more actually, but both were great.

Oh, and that intro was....breathtaking. Paris! Now I have an Edith Piaf album somewhere, so I'm going to dig that up and listen to it

I feel like people my age only know Piaf from Inception and games like this, but I can't complain. She's an awesome singer and it's great to see more people get exposed to her. What I didn't learn until I sat through the BaS credits is that she's the person who actually wrote "La Vie en Rose". Never knew that, though I'd always preferred her version.

And yeah the jingles were a lot of fun. It's the goofier, more creative touches that really sell the world--I loved the Rapture PSAs coming back to warn everyone not to go outside our they'll get blown to smithereens, too.

IronRinn

Just got to the part where I have to head to
Fontaine's office
. Honestly, the section right before that where
Ryan sends in his goons to take you out
was the first time where I thought that, yeah, Peeping Tom might be a bit overpowered. Kind of just sat in a corner, invisible, and let dudes come to me. Which really felt like a product of that space. I am firmly against the notion of "right" and "wrong" ways to play a game, but in this case I felt like my options were fairly limited, and what options I had didn't interest me. Figure I have another hour or so, maybe, but still really enjoying it.

Absolutely loving BaS Ep2. I'm tempted to try and finish it tonight but I'd like to at least space it out over another day. The stealth sections work incredibly well and make for a nice change of pace. Irrational could have taken the easy way out and kept the gameplay inline with Infinite but instead they were apt enough not only to recreate Rapture but to integrate stealth mechanics into the level design just for the DLC. That would have been risky considering the development time frame involved. Very impressive stuff.

Someone who actually liked it as much as me....Hello Lone friend.

and yea, I have played alot of DLC, and episode 1 and 2 combined are some of the best DLC I have ever played...

It feels like some real time and effort went into it. It's not just some random level with some random objectives. Its a complete package.

I wish I could have got a full game of the stealth gameplay expanded upon...it would have been awesome.

Fuchsdh

Someone who actually liked it as much as me....Hello Lone friend.

and yea, I have played alot of DLC, and episode 1 and 2 combined are some of the best DLC I have ever played...

It feels like some real time and effort went into it. It's not just some random level with some random objectives. Its a complete package.

I wish I could have got a full game of the stealth gameplay expanded upon...it would have been awesome.

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the level of polish or professionalism put into the DLC. The production aspects of Infinite and its DLC has been excellent. It's a matter of people who thought the story was unnecessary/cheapened Bioshock 1 and Infinite, and those who didn't care for the stealth or felt the stealth was too easy.

Speaking from a what-if perspective, though, I think it would be interesting to combine the limited-weapon, stealth based approach of BaS with the U-Invent system from the original. I found it pretty tedious in the first game but if it focused on making medkits, improvised traps or weapons I think it could feel much more vital.

I don't think anyone here is complaining about the level of polish or professionalism put into the DLC. The production aspects of Infinite and its DLC has been excellent. It's a matter of people who thought the story was unnecessary/cheapened Bioshock 1 and Infinite, and those who didn't care for the stealth or felt the stealth was too easy.

Speaking from a what-if perspective, though, I think it would be interesting to combine the limited-weapon, stealth based approach of BaS with the U-Invent system from the original. I found it pretty tedious in the first game but if it focused on making medkits, improvised traps or weapons I think it could feel much more vital.

Agreed. I thought both DLCs were incredibly well crafted (in particular Episode 2). You can tell a lot of work went into them - tons of polish, small touches and references, combat refinements, fantastic music (I especially liked the music when Elizabeth
decoded the Big Daddy notes toward the end
). My *only* problem with the DLC is just where they took the story. Everything else was complete ace. One of the best DLCs I've ever played tbh. Damn that story, though. :p

Spoilers:
WHY DID YOU DO THAT TO ELIZABETH, KEN? WHYYYYYYYYYY. SHE DESERVED BETTER!
*ahem*, sorry about that. :p

The funny thing is... I actually really liked the first DLC even though it gets a lot of hate on here and by reviewers. At least that story was still
about the multiverse/Comstock/Elizabeth stuff and honestly, had very little to do with Rapture/Bioshock 1.

Aaaaand I don't think i said anyone was saying they were....

Honestly, you have no reason to defend your opinions as I didn't attack you or the "haters" opinions with that post. I get people hate shit shit that I think is great or like. I'm just not that cynical when it comes to media. There are many movies that I think are pretty good and critics tear it apart. Same with games. music is another story though.

Just got to the part where I have to head to
Fontaine's office
. Honestly, the section right before that where
Ryan sends in his goons to take you out
was the first time where I thought that, yeah, Peeping Tom might be a bit overpowered. Kind of just sat in a corner, invisible, and let dudes come to me. Which really felt like a product of that space. I am firmly against the notion of "right" and "wrong" ways to play a game, but in this case I felt like my options were fairly limited, and what options I had didn't interest me. Figure I have another hour or so, maybe, but still really enjoying it.

I didn't even use peeping tom. I crouched behind the door leading into the kitchen and let them come past me for knockouts one by one.

I actually went through the whole dlc stealthing the old fashion way, not going invisible more then 3 or 4 times in total and even then always only as a panick button. (i'm a resource hoarder, thats why).

My future playthorughs will definitely contain more liberal use of that power to speed things up. I think I dragged the dlc out to about 9-10 hours by being so patient tracking enemy movements (not only do I go for no kills stealth run, I have to knock out every enemy along my way, I cant just ninja past them, because game ocd thats why)

Fuchsdh

Aaaaand I don't think i said anyone was saying they were....

Honestly, you have no reason to defend your opinions as I didn't attack you or the "haters" opinions with that post. I get people hate shit shit that I think is great or like. I'm just not that cynical when it comes to media. There are many movies that I think are pretty good and critics tear it apart. Same with games. music is another story though.

Maybe if you spoke more clearly then, I'd understand your points. I'm not attacking you, so why are you getting in a huff? (And I'm curious as to how labeling us "cynics" is not a slight against people who didn't like it.)

uh....I think I was pretty clear. I just literally replied to what that one poster said, and you got all defensive like I was calling you out and people who dislike the game out or something when I clearly wasn't.

I can't speak anymore clearly...over the internet....But OK.

saying I am not cynical, is saying I am just not cynical. If you wanna take that personally. then by all means, cry about it. don't know why you would.

So sorry for this stupid question... but I have to hear it personally to make sure, if I buy the Season Pass I will be able to get both of BAS part 1 & BAS part 2.... correct ?

So instead of buying them separately I can get them both by just getting the season pass!?

Top Bottom