• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite Final Box Art

The Wallpaper they released a while ago would have been better.

^It's still quite dudebro but a lot more stylized.

I wonder why they didn't use the Songbird or anything else that makes the game unique.

Are you crazy? That might make it a cover that represents the GAME! Or WORSE, an ARTISTIC cover!

44749-bioshock-infinite-full.png

That's madness! If it's not a generic dudebro cover, it doesn't sell!

I got to ask: Is it a love for second amendment right and a testament to the principle of prima facie that US boxarts generally need to be so direct and in your face with the gun and main character?

Bioshock 1 was so much better in comparison. This looks very well rendered but imaginatively bankrupt.

This cover sucks but come on, let's not get into COUNTRY WARZ rubbish.

Are you crazy? That might make it a cover that represents the GAME! Or WORSE, an ARTISTIC cover!

imgs

These also suck, but I like the idea of a cover more similar to the Game Informer reveal cover. Hell, just use that.

Kazzy

In fairness, as cool as those covers are, they are equally as bad for representing the game. With the exception of maybe the airship one, I couldn't see them working.

i-Lo

This cover sucks but come on, let's not get into COUNTRY WARZ rubbish.

Who is getting into wars? It's a serious question in view of American's gun culture. Compare US boxarts to EU or JP boxarts and most people here would unanimously agree that the latter ones generally more imaginative, artistic.

Deku Tree

Looks nice. I played Bioshock 1 & 2. Is this game going to add any "newness" to the franchise? Or is it another iteration of the same formula in a new environment?

bumpkin

I get a total Nathan Drake vibe from that cover... The songbird should have been front and center instead if you ask me, maybe in some sort of menacing perched pose

Who is getting into wars? It's a serious question in view of American's gun culture. Compare US boxarts to EU or JP boxarts and most people here would unanimously agree that the latter ones generally more imaginative, artistic.

Er, for AAA games at the Bioshock level? No. If we were talking about JRPGs and stuff coming to the states then absolutely, there's a trend of HARDCORIFIED covers in the US. But Bioshock is 1. a shooter, so while this cover sucks a gun should probably be on it and 2. a huge, huge franchise that will be marketed as broadly as 2K can afford around the world. Do the Call of Duty games have less prominent guns in Europe? No.

Rubius

I love how the PS3 cover is the smallest, and so they wanted to put as much stuff possible on it.
Also, hate the PC Black bar, could we get something better as a standard?

Fjordson

I think the gun love is universal for big AAA action games like this from what I can remember. Though it's been a good six years or so since I last lived in Europe, so I could be wrong.

edit: beaten badly by BigJiantRobut :p

i-Lo

Er, for AAA games at the Bioshock level? No. If we were talking about JRPGs and stuff coming to the states then absolutely, there's a trend of HARDCORIFIED covers in the US. But Bioshock is 1. a shooter, so while this cover sucks a gun should probably be in it and 2. a huge, huge franchise that will be marketed as broadly as 2K can afford around the world. Do the Call of Duty games have less prominent guns in Europe? No.

Most people would already know what the game is about either through websites or tv spots so making it so in your face is as aforementioned a testament to lack of imagination. On that assessment we both agree.

Recently, the only shooter whose cover really stood out was Resistance 3.

I remember having the same complaint about MGS4 US boxart vs JP.

EDIT: The thing about military shooters is just that they are pertain to nothing but war and conflict and involves "military". It's more apt and logical to feature a weapon there.

Linkup

Product Description
BioShock Infinite is a whole new BioShock adventure set in the new environment of Columbia, an immense city in the sky. Players assume the role of a down-on-his luck former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, sent to Columbia in 1912 to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. DeWitt will develop a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky. You will learn to fight foes in high-speed Skyline battles, engage in combat both indoors and outdoors, and harness the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

oh really, tell me more

He shots everything in the room but her, then she opens the door for him. Guess it's better than the door just popping open.

Most people would already know what the game is about either through websites or tv spots so making it so in your face is as aforementioned a testament to lack of imagination. On that assessment we both agree.

Recently, the only shooter whose cover really stood out was Resistance 3.

I remember having the same complaint about MGS4 US boxart vs JP.

Except there's no gun on the cover of the US version of MGS4, and Resistance 3's cover was the same in the US as elsewhere, so your whole second amendment jab sort of doesn't make any sense.

But yes, we agree, this cover is dumb and generic dude-with-gun covers are dumb.

LifEndz

I guess pubs are scared to take a chance with an artistic cover. Guess they still haven't realized that their customers are well past the point where we bought games based on what the cover can cover (The cover of this game is a dude with a gun! Guess that means there'll be shooting in this!)

Oh well. Still hyped for the game. Next year is going to be fucking nuts...and then we get new consoles!

I guess pubs are scared to take a chance with an artistic cover. Guess they still haven't realized that their customers are well past the point where we bought games based on what the cover can cover (The cover of this game is a dude with a gun! Guess that means there'll be shooting in this!)

Oh well. Still hyped for the game. Next year is going to be fucking nuts...and then we get new consoles!

You know, it's funny that Resistance 3's cover was brought up. I wonder if there's any marketing data on whether they feel it hurt or hindered (or even helped!) their marketing and sales.

i-Lo

Except there's no gun on the cover of the US version of MGS4, and Resistance 3's cover was the same in the US as elsewhere, so your whole second amendment jab sort of doesn't make any sense.

No, for MGS, I should have clarified, "lack of imagination" because it only features Snake's face.

And I mentioned R3 boxart because unlike most it does something different despite being a fps.

And pertaining to CoD or BF, those games are all about guns, war and military. It makes more sense to feature guns there. But a game like Bioshock is far more different because it's in a different genre (of story not gameplay).

No, for MGS, I should have clarified, "lack of imagination" because it only features Snake's face.

And I mentioned R3 boxart because unlike most it does something different despite being a fps.

And pertaining to CoD or BF, those games are all about guns, war and military. It makes more sense to feature guns there. But a game like Bioshock is far more different because it's in a different genre (of story not gameplay).

You're sorta moving the goalposts now. You asked if second amendment love fueled lack of imagination in game covers in the US, then proceeded to list games that don't have guns on the cover. Yeah, Snake's face was a dumb MGS4 cover. I don't think it's a great example for your initial question/argument.

But yes, we're in total agreement on that second point. Like I posted earlier, this cover only tells us one or two things about the game and ignores a whole bunch of what actually makes the game interesting.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Bioshock 1 and 2's boxarts shit on this.

Ath

For once it's not the blue and orange that bothers me, it's the sparks! Loads of movie posters recently just add random sparks in the background, it really annoys me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game needs to sell (because of its budget and because of what it represents) so they can put whatever terrible focus-grouped shit on the cover that they want.

i-Lo

You're sorta moving the goalposts now. You asked if second amendment love fueled lack of imagination in game covers in the US, then proceeded to list games that don't have guns on the cover. Yeah, Snake's face was a dumb MGS4 cover. I don't think it's a great example for your initial question/argument.

But yes, we're in total agreement on that second point. Like I posted earlier, this cover only tells us one or two things about the game and ignores a whole bunch of what actually makes the game interesting.

Perhaps what I did constitutes moving goal post but considering that MGS was not game made in US, rather Japan (and it's not a fps, and I have no idea whether they outsourced to some firm in US to design the US boxart), I should in my initial post mentioned that the "explicit" gun imagery is attached to games that are made in US.

I was arguing on two separate fronts.

PS: I love guns. I know they are serve no other purpose than hurting or killing. But, I love the science behind it, the ballistic data and spend hours on imfdb.org researching statistics :p

Ridley327

That is one uninspiring cover; I guess Take Two is pulling out all the stops to help sell the game now that it is exclusively single player.

Perhaps what I did constitutes moving goal post but considering that MGS was not game made in US, rather Japan (and it's not a fps, and I have no idea whether they outsourced to some firm in US to design the US boxart), I should in my initial post mentioned that the "explicit" gun imagery is attached to games that are made in US.

I was arguing on two separate fronts.

PS: I love guns. I know they are serve no other purpose than hurting or killing. But, I love the science behind it, the ballistic data and spend hours on imfdb.org researching statistics :p

Oh, for games made in the US? Sure, lots of gun imagery there, but that's because shooters are an incredibly popular genre in the US. What confused me in your initial argument was "compared to EU and JP covers", as if many shooters elsewhere had more imaginative covers.

Really? You guys are bitching about this? It's an awesome poster art-style piece. It's also the best composition out of any of the official works so far. It's instantly readable, tons of saturated colors, you've got some of the game themes going on here in the background.

Sure, the songbird and floating cities probably would have been more awesome than a protagonist you'll never see, but this is a few steps above a generic dudebro cover.

Also. People are confusing "having orange and blue in the background" with an orange and blue color scheme, which this isn't.

Momentary

Banned
Sadly... this is one technique to draw in more casuals to play the game.

I doubt that there will be very many people who will NOT buy this game just because of the game's cover, but there will be plenty of people who WILL look at this and buy it just because of the cover...

And yes, what I just said makes sense.

I don't despise the cover, but it should have included Elizabeth in there.

i-Lo

Oh, for games made in the US? Sure, lots of gun imagery there, but that's because shooters are an incredibly popular genre in the US. What confused me in your initial argument was "compared to EU and JP covers", as if many shooters elsewhere had more imaginative covers.

Well... (and it's an example with an abysmal game XD)

US cover:

JP cover:

It looks like to appeal to the market here, which you so correctly described as a one that is ripe for shooters, they have had to emphasize the fire arm.

I was just demagoguing pertaining to second amendment right but it may very well be down the gun culture that may have to do with love for gun imagery. And the part about being in your face (the second argument) makes me feel (and this has been discussed before) that illustrators think it's explicitly obvious, then the message may not get through.

Top Bottom