• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin prices hit new record high of over $2200 (10/13 Update: peaked at $5,829)

"Stable" ETH price is probably still going to have minimum daily 10% swings.
I'd wish. Today it pretty much just went up. My strategy is based on selling on local maximums and buying on local minimums. It is almost full-proof as long as the overall trend is up. However, if the trend is strictly up, I only gain half as much as I would had I based my strategy solely on steady growth

Kenstar

I'd wish. Today it pretty much just went up. My strategy is based on selling on local maximums and buying on local minimums. It is almost full-proof as long as the overall trend is up. However, if the trend is strictly up, I only gain half as much as I would had I based my strategy solely on steady growth

We're getting close to that $200 sell wall, let's see if it powers thru or dives again
zqRoTTp.jpg

We're getting close to that $200 sell wall, let's see if it powers thru or dives again
zqRoTTp.jpg

Got lucky to get mine on Saturday at $154 a coin, wish I was up when it hit $117 early Saturday morning. My plan is to just hold on to it long term. If it hits a few hundred dollars I'll take my initial investment and let the rest sit there. Tomorrow will be interesting because of the long weekend, will we have another huge drop or will it be a jump besting last Wednesday's high? I say this because of all the new money from last weeks frenzy that is stuck in a lot of these exchanges waiting to be processed.

Kracken and Gemini still haven't verified my accounts and Coinbase is still jacked for me. Sucks I have to go through my bro in the interim to buy more.

zqRoTTp.jpg
I was asleep but it hit 215 USD. I have cashed out almost all my ether, the last batch going out at $220. Not sure when to buy again. If it drops, it is gonna drooop. I guess I'll buy a batch at $170 and another at $130, just in case it has a nose dive.

I lowered my expectations and just sold out all my ether. EthUsd is not showing it, but BtcUsd is dropping already.

Edit: My charts in not in USD, so sometimes they give me weird results. Heh

Weak bulls get eaten by long bulls.

ETH is doing some weird things last 24 hours. It normally moves in sync with BTC but right now ETH-BTC is rising. If ETH uncouples from BTC then we might be at the start of a rally for ETH which is independent of BTC.

The next 24 hours will be very revealing here. I ain't selling shit.

x3sphere

I lowered my expectations and just sold out all my ether. EthUsd is not showing it, but BtcUsd is dropping already.

Edit: My charts in not in USD, so sometimes they give me weird results. Heh

It looks like ETH is starting to decouple from BTC. BTC hasn't really moved much in comparison today. +4% vs +22%

I expect a bear trap before the USD ATH gets broken, so maybe it will drop to $170-180 tomorrow

I am just holding... my gut feeling is that ETH will surpass BTC in market cap this year.

Weak bulls get eaten by long bulls.

ETH is doing some weird things last 24 hours. It normally moves in sync with BTC but right now ETH-BTC is rising. If ETH uncouples from BTC then we might be at the start of a rally for ETH which is independent of BTC.

The next 24 hours will be very revealing here. I ain't selling shit.
Yeah, totally possible. It is speculating at this point, and guts. Technical analysts were predicting a bearish Gartley a few hours ago, it is starting to look like a bullish Gartley though. I will be buying some on the next local minimum.

I'm just sad I didn't have money to buy when it hit a low a few days ago, so this time I'm cashing out hoping for it to hit another low. Otherwise, I'll just buy in the next few days; I'm in for Eth for the long run.

This is what I am expecting to see:
https://www.tradingview.com/chart/ETHUSD/4udbG8y7-ETH-USD/

Eth just broke the USD ATH. Seeing 216 on GDAX right now. Holy shit
It was expected:

I am in for eth to stabilize around 240 usd for the time being. Wonder how higher it will go after that.

I am still not buying, it will come down. If it wasn't 4 AM in the morning I would have already bought, but I am pretty sure right now the price is riding on the bots and will be sane the morning comes [one can hope, right lol]

My general policy is:

Start small and try to see if you can rule your mind first; which basically means not buying when the market is hyped and not selling when there is a panic (usually in the beginning you learn about the soars while they will be followed buy a nose dive and about the panics when the price has already settled to a low).

I dunno, Huobi is going live with ETH trading sometime today and it will be interesting to see what happens when China starts piling in.

I wonder if I should seriously think about adding to my stake. If there's another dip I might have to get more skin into this game.

I dunno, Huobi is going live with ETH trading sometime today and it will be interesting to see what happens when China starts piling in.

I wonder if I should seriously think about adding to my stake.
I'd say definitely go for it next time that it dives down if you are not tight on your funds. You'll need to watch your stock though, lots of swings in Eth. Let's say you buy at $150. Then you should cash out around $200, buy again at $175, sell again at $225, etc. I see a bright future in Eth, but worst case it'll just hover around $100 - $200; it is being backed by a few corporations as their blockchain technology and should not vanish overnight.

sunofsam

It looks like ETH is starting to decouple from BTC. BTC hasn't really moved much in comparison today. +4% vs +22%

I expect a bear trap before the USD ATH gets broken, so maybe it will drop to $170-180 tomorrow

I am just holding... my gut feeling is that ETH will surpass BTC in market cap this year.
Holding is the best strategy at this point.

There is a common saying that the best way to make a million dollars by timing the market is to start with two million.

Bought in at 12-24 (coinbase weekly limits til I got verified on exchange). Thought I'd try timing the market made some good gains and then ultimately lost 100ETH.

sunofsam

FYI, Chinese ‘Big 3’ Bitcoin Exchange Huobi Launches Ethereum Trading
I have never followed what happens after a new exchanger starts trading; does anyone have any idea?

also: Billion-Dollar Messaging App Kik to Launch Ethereum-Based Cryptocurrency

For smaller coins there is a noticible bump in price based on the prestige of the exchange. For larger market cap coins it depends on the size and market. This is a big untapped market. Expect the price to go up.

For smaller coins there is a noticible bump in price based on the prestige of the exchange. For larger market cap coins it depends on the size and market. This is a big untapped market. Expect the price to go up.
This is generally true; however, if after buying your initial stock you never sell unless at a profit, there is no way you lose money unless the overall market is one with an overall downward trend. Otherwise, i.e. if you only buy and sell at profit, worst case you won't make as much money as you would, had you hold onto your initial stock.

Holding is the best strategy at this point.

There is a common saying that the best way to make a million dollars by timing the market is to start with two million.

Bought in at 12-24 (coinbase weekly limits til I got verified on exchange). Thought I'd try timing the market made some good gains and then ultimately lost 100ETH.
Thanks. I guess I might buy before tomorrow then.

mackattk

Putting a little bit of money into Xtrabytes (XBY). Seems to have some promise.. Hopefully it will really take off within the next few months.

sunofsam

This is generally true; however, if after buying your initial stock you never sell unless at a profit, there is no way you lose money unless the overall market is one with an overall downward trend. Otherwise, i.e. if you only buy and sell at profit, worst case you won't make as much money as you would, had you hold onto your initial stock.

Thanks. I guess I might buy before tomorrow then.
Your comments are flipped and yes, I haven't lost money, just position. Initial seed of 5k have taken seed out to calm wife. Now have 40K of play money.

Your comments are flipped and yes, I haven't lost money, just position. Initial seed of 5k have taken seed out to calm wife. Now have 40K of play money.
I understand why you would say that though; most beginners who enter speculative markets will lose money. Generally speaking, in a healthy market it will be difficult to beat the market index; no way one could increase their money 40 folds in a matter of couple of months by riding the swings, while would have been possible if one had bought ether and hold onto it.

Ether dropping-exchanged back, lost 1%, but think made the right call lol I'm too weak for such a bullish market lol

edit: There goes the dive; will it recover?

x3sphere

ETH still going up lol, just broke another ATH. Meanwhile Bitcoin has been sliding down still and the ratio is nearly 0.1

Ether price is insane! I bought at 195, sold again around 190, then bought again at 215 and still it is going up. I'm not gonna sleep tonight. Riding the bull is fun! I am too weak to hold no matter what, need to control my greed and cash out at some point >< Is gonna be fun watching the China open too, in almost 10 hours.

I have a coinbase account, but yeah Kraken has been processing my verification for 3-4 days now...pretty sure the site says it should take a day or 2, maybe the holiday has disrupted that.
Or maybe people are jumping on board and they are receiving too many requests.

BraXzy

I was watching when Ether hit around $120 and I nearly bought the dip but thought it might keep going.. next thing you know we're at $220 less than a week later. Fml.

Nielm

I was watching when Ether hit around $120 and I nearly bought the dip but thought it might keep going.. next thing you know we're at $220 less than a week later. Fml.

Still waiting for my Kraken account to get its tiers approved, so I'm stuck. Damn it.

IKizzLE

Found out one of my friends has 40k usd in ethereum...guess he's a true believer.

25 yr old I worked with at my previous company put his entire 401k and his 19k dollar signing bonus from a new job he got into ETH 12 months ago.....

You can probably guess how much money he has now...

Eth hitting really hard at 230 for the second time; I'm gonna make some popcorn hoping it'll crack that...

25 yr old I worked with at my previous company put his entire 401k and his 19k dollar signing bonus from a new job he got into ETH 12 months ago.....

You can probably guess how much money he has now...
'so far' he is a millionaire; soon he might become a multi-millionaire lol I'm pretty sure there was someone on GAF back then who was for investing in ether too.

Anyone following the madness with ETH today? Completely obliterated the $200 resistance and is currently trading around $230 USD.

Humble brag: 25x my investment as of today because of Ether.

Instro

Anyone following the madness with ETH today? Completely obliterated the $200 resistance and is currently trading around $230 USD.

Humble brag: 25x my investment as of today because of Ether.

Jelly. I was going to put some money in last year, but I completely forgot about it until this thread popped up.

Hisoka

Ok.. so after reading a bit into this whole stuff, i want to invest into crypto.

Can someone help me out a bit?

I use Jaxx as my wallet now.. is it good or should i use another one? It has shapeshift and i thought it's not that bad. Got it recommended from a friend who also invests in crypto.

How do i buy into my wallet?
I signed up for a Kraken acc and wait for stage 2 of validation.
I'm currently living in the EU, so coinbase is out of question from what i've read.

Can i buy crypto on Kraken now via SEPA for example, and then transfer the crypto into my wallet and.. then? How do i transfer shit? With the unique keys or what?
How much time does the transfer require (Bank -> Crypto -> Wallet, Or Bank -> Kraken -> Wallet)?
Can i directly purchase the crypto i want to? Or do i need to buy into a specific one and trade this one for the currency i want to have?
Can i simply cash in when i think it's time to leave (Wallet -> Kraken/$$$ -> Bank)?

What about all those keys and whoa.. it's still a bit much for me. Do we have an |OT| for something like this where you can read through how to setup this whole thing and the process of buying and transfering, step by step?

Is mining profitable? Can i do it with my cheap ass laptop too, even if it doesn't get me that much? I don't pay for electricity anyway, so i thought why not giving it a shot?

Another thing: Golem is kind of cheap and i read of Nem pretty often. Buy/Not buy? I don't have a Nem Wallet on Jaxx i think.. do i need a different one or what?

Thanks!

vehn

Ok.. so after reading a bit into this whole stuff, i want to invest into crypto.

Can someone help me out a bit?

I use Jaxx as my wallet now.. is it good or should i use another one? It has shapeshift and i thought it's not that bad. Got it recommended from a friend who also invests in crypto.

How do i buy into my wallet?
I signed up for a Kraken acc and wait for stage 2 of validation.
I'm currently living in the EU, so coinbase is out of question from what i've read.

Can i buy crypto on Kraken now via SEPA for example, and then transfer the crypto into my wallet and.. then? How do i transfer shit? With the unique keys or what?
How much time does the transfer require (Bank -> Crypto -> Wallet, Or Bank -> Kraken -> Wallet)?
Can i directly purchase the crypto i want to? Or do i need to buy into a specific one and trade this one for the currency i want to have?
Can i simply cash in when i think it's time to leave (Wallet -> Kraken/$$$ -> Bank)?

What about all those keys and whoa.. it's still a bit much for me. Do we have an |OT| for something like this where you can read through how to setup this whole thing and the process of buying and transfering, step by step?

Is mining profitable? Can i do it with my cheap ass laptop too, even if it doesn't get me that much? I don't pay for electricity anyway, so i thought why not giving it a shot?

Another thing: Golem is kind of cheap and i read of Nem pretty often. Buy/Not buy? I don't have a Nem Wallet on Jaxx i think.. do i need a different one or what?

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/61y5ix/welcome_to_rethereum_the_reddit_front_page_of_the/

Jelly. I was going to put some money in last year, but I completely forgot about it until this thread popped up.

I jumped in last week at $162. Not crying about the results so far.

"If you get in late, you get in late. Still better than not getting in at all."
- someone infinitely wise

P.S. Huobi went live on ETH today, OKCoin is going live June 1st. Shit is getting insanely real.

Top Bottom