• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin prices hit new record high of over $2200 (10/13 Update: peaked at $5,829)

julrik

I'm having plenty of issues with Coinbase, and Kraken is still "processing" my info. Is there seriously not one simple and quick way to buy some ETH? Preferably without a stupid buy limit for credit cards.

The Rizza

Which apps are people mainly using to track their portfolios? Coincap seems alright. I was looking for something a little cleaner. I see Lawnmower and Blockfolio might be good choices

Holtz

I'm having plenty of issues with Coinbase, and Kraken is still "processing" my info. Is there seriously not one simple and quick way to buy some ETH? Preferably without a stupid buy limit for credit cards.
I'm in the same boat. I have been trying for days to buy some ETH with no success.

sunofsam

majik13

You don't have access to the private keys for the wallet.

http://sebfor.com/wheres-eth-part-1-not-get-goxxed-2/

So... yeah if you don't own the wallet. You really don't own the coins (<-- That can not be repeated enough). I only put the amount I'm willing to trade on a site ever since the BitFinex fiasco.

so what do we do? How do we own the wallet? Or where do we send the coins? Does a coinbase vault have anything to do with this?

kotodama

so what do we do? How do we own the wallet? Or where do we send the coins? Does a coinbase vault have anything to do with this?

Coinbase Vault kind of works that way if you manage the security yourself.

On the BTC front it would be running your own client like: Bitcoin Unlimited, Mycelium, Breadwallet, etc.

Hardware wallets like: Trezor, Ledger, etc.

With ETH it would be like: Geth, Parity, etc.

Hardware: Trezor, Ledger work has well now apparently.

Also there are paper wallets for the major currencies that you can print out and store in a safebox or something.

majik13

Coinbase Vault kind of works that way if you manage the security yourself.

On the BTC front it would be running your own client like: Bitcoin Unlimited, Mycelium, Breadwallet, etc.

Hardware wallets like: Trezor, Ledger, etc.

With ETH it would be like: Geth, Parity, etc.

Hardware: Trezor, Ledger work has well now apparently.

Also there are paper wallets for the major currencies that you can print out and store in a safebox or something.

cool thanks, Im guessing those are websites, or are they apps?

Luschient

Man, fuck Kraken and Coinbase!

Verify muh account!!

In the meantime....on Coinbase can you just buy bitcoin, eth, and litecoin? No other currencies?

kotodama

cool thanks, Im guessing those are websites, or are they apps?

client-side apps and hardware.

Man, fuck Kraken and Coinbase!

Verify muh account!!

In the meantime....on Coinbase can you just buy bitcoin, eth, and litecoin? No other currencies?

I haven't used it myself, but there is always Localbitcoins and then use Shapeshift.io to move to another crypto of your choice. On boarding can be expensive though, but no verification and all that jazz.

Instro

They appear to have some basic filters initially (photo size and resolution checks)

Maybe that's my problem. I've realized that I must have gotten an error of some kind last night, and my attempts since have been met with the app being unable to read the front or back side of my ID. Not really sure how I should be taking these pictures. What a pain.

Tk0n

XBY is soaring right now.

i exchanged some doge for xby on c-cex yesterday and already doubled the "investment".
try to get some more, but the traded volume is quite low.
transaction costs are kinda wild at 100 xby. that is a lot for small transactions.
i hope the reduce that in the future.

stratis is soaring too. 40% in the last 24h.
im happy because theyre a big chunk of my portfolio. i hope it lasts ;)

mackattk

i exchanged some doge for xby on c-cex yesterday and already doubled the "investment".
transaction costs are kinda wild at 100 xby. that is a lot for small transactions.

They will. Xby is in it's very early stages right now, and that 100 fee is being used as the dev fund. Join the slack, there is a lot of promise with this coin, exciting times ahead. Hold out on xby long term, you will be very happy you did.

Tk0n

I'm new to this. Can BTC purchased through Coinbase be sent to a C-Cex account to transfer into XBY?

should be no problem.
on c-cex just click on ledger and get an adress for btc.
then transfer your btc to this adress. it takes a while and then it shows up in the ledger.
price is around 0.00001450 for 1 xby at the moment.

remember, transfering the xby to another (for instance your private) wallet costs 100 xby.
so either you leave them in the wallet at c-cex (till they reduce the transfer cost) or you should make sure you buy more than 100 xby ;)

Krakatoa

I'd like to buy some XBY, I have coinbase. What's the easiest way to purchase some?

NVM figured it out. I signed up to C-Cex...Now just need to fund it.

Tk0n

I'd like to buy some XBY, I have coinbase. What's the easiest way to purchase some?

at the moment, you can only get xby at:
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=XBY_BTC
https://yobit.net/en/trade/XBY/BTC
https://c-cex.com/?p=xby-btc

on c-cex you can use btc, ltc and doge to buy. also usd, but i dont like the fiat payment options they have. i tried to make a payeer account yesterday but they only accept visa, which i dont have or their own mastercard, which i dont want.
paying with crypto should be fine though. i used doge yesterday.
as i understand, yobit and cryptopia only accept btc.

so, make an account at yobit, cryptopia or c-cex, transfer some btc from coinbase there and you should be set.
as i wrote to SCReuter, keep in mind the 100xby transfer fee.

NVM figured it out. I signed up to C-Cex...Now just need to fund it.

Yeah, I can't figure out how to fund C-Cex. Went through a chain of registering for 3 or 4 different sites, and still no luck.

Krakatoa

at the moment, you can only get xby at:
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=XBY_BTC
https://yobit.net/en/trade/XBY/BTC
https://c-cex.com/?p=xby-btc

on c-cex you can use btc, ltc and doge to buy. also usd, but i dont like the fiat payment options they have. i tried to make a payeer account yesterday but they only accept visa, which i dont have or their own mastercard, which i dont want.
paying with crypto should be fine though. i used doge yesterday.
as i understand, yobit and cryptopia only accept btc.

so, make an account at yobit, cryptopia or c-cex, transfer some btc from coinbase there and you should be set.
as i wrote to SCReuter, keep in mind the 100xby transfer fee.

Thanks I funded it with BTC from coinbase :)

Tk0n

Yeah, I ended up transferring ETH to C-Cex, exchanging ETH into BTC, and buying XBY with BTC.

I'm now the proud owner of 1000XBY.
Let's hope I actually hit this one on the upswing for a change.

i think it got a bit of momentum and the upswing might continue for some days.
if not, there will be other upswings in the future, if/when they redesign the atrocious webpage or if/when xby gets listed on some more exchanges.

if nothing else, its got quite a bit word of mouth at least.

lets see where it stands in a year ;)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
if not, there will be other upswings in the future, if/when they redesign the atrocious webpage or if/when xby gets listed on some more exchanges.

Dat website and dat spelling lol

confused, how much of these can I buy for $25 usd?

Is there an offline wallet that can hold all kinds of cyptocurrency or do I need one for each kind of coin? So far I only registered for myetherwallet.com for my Eth, was hoping to invest in XBY and STRAT as well.

Krakatoa

Yep, fingers crossed. I now have ETH, XBY and Litecoin.

sam777

So I am new to all this but would investing $20 USD in XBY on C-Cex be considered a good move?
Also I have no other Cryptocurrency so is it even possible to just invest a basic $20 ?

Brandson

How reputable is c-cex? I registered, created a bitcoin address with them, and sent a tiny amount to test if it's working. Nothing has appeared yet.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
How reputable is c-cex? I registered, created a bitcoin address with them, and sent a tiny amount to test if it's working. Nothing has appeared yet.

It takes a little while, I did the same thing and it showed up after a couple of hours.

Luschient

I'm in for 4 ETH now. Debating some Litecoin as well.

Would I be good in just using the wallet in Coinbase or is it recommended to set up another one elsewhere?

majik13

Just sent a small test amount of BTC to C Cex, says now waiting for 2 confirmations, Im guessing those are confirmations on their end? I dont need to do anything right besides wait?

So whats the reason people thinking XBY will be good in the long run?

Is my best bet going to be to buy BTC through somewhere like coinbase then transfer the coins to c-cex? I think my state doesn't allow a lot of the payments services used on c-cex trying to avoid a fee trap.

Is my best bet going to be to buy BTC through somewhere like coinbase then transfer the coins to c-cex? I think my state doesn't allow a lot of the payments services used on c-cex trying to avoid a fee trap.

That's what I've found - that BTC seems to be a convenient converter / "Lingua Franca" (as it were).

So whats the reason people thinking XBY will be good in the long run?

For me, it's because it's cheap, some people are talking about it, and it would be nice to be in on the ground floor of something (like I could have been with BTC) instead of being LTTP.

Brandson

I would have one exchange that you trust to do your fiat currency conversion, where you are fully verified. Then when you want to buy some small altcoin, convert to BTC or ETH, and transfer from that exchange to the exchange that sells the altcoin. Dealing with fiat currency on a bunch of different exchanges is more trouble than it's worth. If the altcoin takes off, chances are it will be eventually listed on your preferred trusted exchange, where you can later transfer it to trade further.

That's what I've found - that BTC seems to be a convenient converter / "Lingua Franca" (as it were).

For me, it's because it's cheap, some people are talking about it, and it would be nice to be in on the ground floor of something (like I could have been with BTC) instead of being LTTP.

I would have one exchange that you trust to do your fiat currency conversion, where you are fully verified. Then when you want to buy some small altcoin, convert to BTC or ETH, and transfer from that exchange to the exchange that sells the altcoin. Dealing with fiat currency on a bunch of different exchanges is more trouble than it's worth. If the altcoin takes off, chances are it will be eventually listed on your preferred trusted exchange, where you can later transfer it to trade further.

Thanks gus! That's what I'll do then.

Krakatoa

Just sent a small test amount of BTC to C Cex, says now waiting for 2 confirmations, Im guessing those are confirmations on their end? I dont need to do anything right besides wait?

Yes, you don't need to do anything except wait. Once its gotten two confirmations the transfer will be complete.

majik13

had my buddy who has been in BTC and ETH from the ground floor (mining and investing), he said this about XBY and CCEX after looking into them just briefly.

"Doesnt seem to solve a problem that exists with BTC, and its not a token on ETH blockchain."I dont really know enough to understand what that means exactly. And he doesnt trust exchanges that trade DOGE, but that part could have just been a mild jab/joke.

Anyways, just thought Id share that. His opinion was to not buy.

I might end up waiting until XBY hits a peak and then convert it back to ETH, we'll see.
(Whatever I do, I'm sure that I'll end up regretting it)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My brother has been pushing for me to invest in XBY for close to a month now. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get in when he did.

Waiting for the inevitable (?) drop then I'll jump in.

Tangeroo

My brother has been pushing for me to invest in XBY for close to a month now. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get in when he did.

Waiting for the inevitable (?) drop then I'll jump in.

They're less than 4 cents per right now. The question is how much are you going to kick yourself in a month for not getting in while you still can?

Brandson

had my buddy who has been in BTC and ETH from the ground floor (mining and investing), he said this about XBY and CCEX after looking into them just briefly.

"Doesnt seem to solve a problem that exists with BTC, and its not a token on ETH blockchain."I dont really know enough to understand what that means exactly. And he doesnt trust exchanges that trade DOGE, but that part could have just been a mild jab/joke.

Anyways, just thought Id share that. His opinion was to not buy.

The way I look at crypto is that ETH has a really good chance to catch and surpass BTC over the next few years, but there are other opportunities to be had, even if they don't get in the >$100/coin range. With a project like XBY, there is some positive buzz, and many milestones are still to come, so the potential for growth is there, especially since awareness is quite low. At 4 cents, even if it tops out at something like 50 cents, that would still be amazing. $10 would be incredible. Getting listed on Bittrex is an early step for crypto, and it's not even there yet, so the Bittrex boost is still available. A lot of reward potential for not much risk at this stage.

The whole crypto market for altcoins is still early. There will be more huge successes and busts. Investing in crypto is not all about fundamentals, but also in predicting how other investors will behave. Although, if your parents start investing in altcoins, it's probably time to pull the plug then if you're still in.

At 4 cents, even if it tops out at something like 50 cents, that would still be amazing. $10 would be incredible.

Buying something at $0.04 and having it go to $0.50 would be amazing
(And then we all sell at around $1, and are kicking ourselves as it approaches 3 digits)

In other news, apparently I messed up this morning when converting from ETH -> BTC -> XBY, and left some of my converted ETH in BTC (when I had meant to convert most/all of the ETH to XBY without any left-over in BTC), so I had (not exact numbers, but something along this line) 0.03BTC and 1000XBY. So I converted most of the rest of my BTC to XBY, and that moved me from 1000XBY to 2500XBY.
Yeah, if XBY takes off, I am going to be very happy.

Top Bottom