• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bolivia declares Israel a terrorist state

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the US keeps backing them nothing will happen. It's a good gesture but the whoke world could condemn Israel yet they could continue doing as they please since the US will never put a stop to them

There was a time when Jordan was the designated recipient of US military and economic aid and Israel was seen as way too communist by the US with their collective farms and the almost-hammer-and-sickle emblem Mapai ruling party of Ben Gurion.

And guess what ? Israel did not vanish under the might of its (partially US-backed) enemies.

Codeblue

Everyone's an armchair expert, despite themselves not living under a hail of rocket fire, and assuredly lacking the imagination to understand what that would be like.

I was visiting in Baghdad when the first Gulf War broke out and we had to worry about American bombs, then evacuated to Riyadh, where we then had to worry about Iraqi bombs. We didn't have iron shields or bunkers. With that knowledge, I always find it weird that people think living under rocket fire makes you so devoid of humanity that you would be ok with the slaughter of civilians. If anything my experience made me more empathetic.

Chavez was a clown, a cult of personality.

But Evo Morales is actually a good guy for his people. Bolivia's majority native population have always been ruled by European decent elite. Evo Morales broke that glass ceiling and became their first President.

Evo is okay in my book, and I'm not even a lefty, I'm a centrist
People really need to stop thinking "left wing Latin American president = Chavez". With the exception of Chavez (now Maduro) and Kirchner the pink tide has been very good for Latin America. Morales has given Bolivia record poverty reduction (according to the UN), a more balanced budget (yuck!), and has done a lot for the native populations.

And my post was sincere. Chavez did some good things to Venezuela (poverty reduction, better social programs, schools) but most of it was pure luck as he came in at a time when oil prices started skyrocketing. He built a wishy-washy part statist part capitalist economy and not long after oil prices fell it began to crumble with high inflation, scarcity issues, lack of productivity, and a non-diversified economy.

Why doesn't Morales call Syria a terrorist state instead of supporting them? That seems hugely hypocritical to me.

Like the United States supporting Israel and nearly supporting the Syrian Rebel Army at one point? America hardly has the moral high ground with this topic.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Both hamas and Israel are in the wrong. Palestinians getting the worst of it.

Hamas are idiots.
Israel is stronger and should be more responsible.
Palestinians should reject hamas and go for strong but peace ful resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom