• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

Wow, nice to see a thread on this subject. I kind of stumbled into the whole cosmere thing when I was looking for information on the release of the next stormlight book.

After an hour of going through a couple of wikis I was quite blown away.

Blizzard

Banned
I just saw this thread -- I haven't finished any books in any genre in ages, but I did finally start my first Brandon Sanderson book a while back.

I chose The Way of Kings since a friend really likes the series and that seemed like a good introduction. The physical aspect of the magic system is cool and Dresden-esque, and I hope to read more some day!

Faiz

I started listening to the Alloy of Law audiobook today. Ah... the narration is awesome, and it immediately brought me back to the times when I listened to the first Mistborn trilogy! :)

I presume Harmony is the
Sezed, who united powers of Ruin and Preservation shards
? I can't remember if that name was mentioned back at the end of Mistborn's third book.

You've probably already got your answer but if not: yes! I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it wasn't used until Allow of Law.

Jag

I just saw this thread -- I haven't finished any books in any genre in ages, but I did finally start my first Brandon Sanderson book a while back.

I chose The Way of Kings since a friend really likes the series and that seemed like a good introduction. The physical aspect of the magic system is cool and Dresden-esque, and I hope to read more some day!

Way of Kings is awesome, but still only 2 books in of a 9(?) book series. The first three Mistborn books are kind of a complete trilogy, even he is still writing in that world.

Faiz

Way of Kings is awesome, but still only 2 books in of a 9(?) book series. The first three Mistborn books are kind of a complete trilogy, even he is still writing in that world.

Stormlight will be 10 total - but it's going to be two somewhat separate 5 book arcs. Somewhat because we don't really know details, hahah.

X-Frame

So I just finished Shadows of Self and I have a quick question (I'm sure I'll have more).

Spoilers!
If Lessie was always Paalm, and Wax was able to see the 2 Blessings inside TenSoon down in the Homeland, then why didn't/couldn't Wax see the 2 Blessing's inside Lessie/Paalm when they were together? Was it just because with TenSoon he was overly concentrating on finding any source of metal?

Loved this book, and I can't believe it'll only be a few months until the next book comes out.

Epcott

So I just finished Shadows of Self and I have a quick question (I'm sure I'll have more).

Spoilers!
If Lessie was always Paalm, and Wax was able to see the 2 Blessings inside TenSoon down in the Homeland, then why didn't/couldn't Wax see the 2 Blessing's inside Lessie/Paalm when they were together? Was it just because with TenSoon he was overly concentrating on finding any source of metal?

Loved this book, and I can't believe it'll only be a few months until the next book comes out.

He saw TenSoon's only faintly, and after concentrating. I don't think it occurred to him back then anyways, as he had no knowledge of blessings and such. If he did see them, he probably thought nothing of them.

He saw TenSoon's only faintly, and after concentrating. I don't think it occurred to him back then anyways, as he had no knowledge of blessings and such. If he did see them, he probably thought nothing of them.

Not to mention, living the lifestyle that they do, I doubt a few pieces of metal still inside someone is all that strange. I doubt they had great surgeons and metal inside someone is pretty impossible to manipulate for most.

Jag

Just finished Shadows of Self as well. Considering I picked up Mistborn as a fantasy series, I didn't think I was going to like the Victorian/Western theme of the Wax/Wayne series. Turns out it doesn't matter, the book was fantastic. Sanderson tells a great story.

Shadows of Self ending spoiler:
Regarding that last reveal in the book, is Trell somehow part of the Cosmere? The way they talked about that metal that not even Harmony had ever seen before makes it seem 'otherworldly'. I looked up Trell and it was mentioned in the earlier book and in the Coppermind wiki which makes it seem like something alien to Scadrial.

Faiz

Shadows of Self ending spoiler:
Regarding that last reveal in the book, is Trell somehow part of the Cosmere? The way they talked about that metal that not even Harmony had ever seen before makes it seem 'otherworldly'. I looked up Trell and it was mentioned in the earlier book and in the Coppermind wiki which makes it seem like something alien to Scadrial.

Otherworldly sure, but what leads you to think that it's not part of the Cosmere? The Cosmere is its own thing - no crossover from outside has been the implication.

Man Steris really did get some better characterization in this book. I have a feeling it's always been Sanderson's
intention to setup the attraction and feelings with Marasi to establish an expectation in the reader, only to show Wax and Steris' relationship blossom into true love. You can kinda see the seed for that at the end of SoS.
He has a way of upending reader expectations.

I want Steris to win. Marasi would be such a cliche.

Randdalf

I've never read any of his books (although I have been considering it recently, after reading the Google Books preview for Way of Kings), but I have been watching some of his lectures on sci-fi/fantasy writing. What astounds me is that he wrote a sequel to a book that he had writer's block on, before he got on with writing the original book. The man is a machine!

Jag

What astounds me is that he wrote a sequel to a book that he had writer's block on, before he got on with writing the original book. The man is a machine!

He has a writing counter on his homepage that shows the status of all his different books. It's pretty amazing.

http://brandonsanderson.com/

I really think Mistborn would make a great game. Hell, even the second series would make a great Bioshock type game.

Photon

Re: Shadows of Self, is this the first time the appendix in a cosmere book was written by Hoid or just the first time I've noticed it?

Faiz

Did any of you guys read that Dalinar flashback chapter from SA 3 that he linked to on his Facebook? Got me crazy hyped.

Too far out from release for me to read yet. Instead of getting crazy hyped I'll just go crazy :(

Re: Shadows of Self, is this the first time the appendix in a cosmere book was written by Hoid or just the first time I've noticed it?

Its not Hoid. The Ars Arcanum are all written by the same person, but not Hoid.

choodi

Banned
So I just finished The Hero of Ages and have loved every page of the series so far.

My question is where do i go from here?

I've only read the original Mistborn series.

Recommendations much appreciated.

Althane

So I just finished The Hero of Ages and have loved every page of the series so far.

So, you've got a couple of choices. If you want to stick with the Mistborn world, you have Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self.

If you want to branch out, you have Elantris and The Emperor's Soul (same world), Warbreaker (only one in its world), the Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings, Words of Radiance) is shaping up to be his epic fantasy masterpiece (9 books planned, each one of them a tome in and of themselves).

Additionally, if you want more Sanderson that's NOT Cosmere, you can go into Legion, which is a pretty awesome short story, and then a decent novel.

Jag

Reckoners is pretty good. Billed as Young Adult, but you wouldn't know it from reading it. I'm not a fan of his other YA series though. I read them to see if my kids would like it. Rithmatist and Alcatraz. Kids might like it, but I wasn't a fan.

Hanzou

So, you've got a couple of choices. If you want to stick with the Mistborn world, you have Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self.

If you want to branch out, you have Elantris and The Emperor's Soul (same world), Warbreaker (only one in its world), the Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings, Words of Radiance) is shaping up to be his epic fantasy masterpiece (9 books planned, each one of them a tome in and of themselves).

Additionally, if you want more Sanderson that's NOT Cosmere, you can go into Legion, which is a pretty awesome short story, and then a decent novel.
Emperor's soul is short but very very good.

arkon

Stormlight is set for 10 books in 2 5-book arcs.

suzu

Warbreaker --> then Stormlight books. Or read the rest of Mistborn.

Faiz

I'm a big proponent of sticking to publication order. That way you see things revealed as they were written to be revealed.

Not that it's a necessity at all! Just my preference. In that case I'd go back to Elantris first. But as it was his first published novel, it's also his weakest. Also a reason to get through it earlier before moving on to stronger works.

choodi

Banned
I'm a big proponent of sticking to publication order. That way you see things revealed as they were written to be revealed.

Not that it's a necessity at all! Just my preference. In that case I'd go back to Elantris first. But as it was his first published novel, it's also his weakest. Also a reason to get through it earlier before moving on to stronger works.

That's usually my preference too.

ExVicis

Save the Stormlight Archives for last I say.

I checked out a rather well known Cosmere centered website/forum. I shouldn't have done it. So much information and so many connections that I've missed. Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read all the books I own to try to find them for myself.

Jag

Halfway through Shadows of Self....that conversation with
Harmony
had me shakin.

Yeah, I did not expect that at all, but it was well done and really took the entire thing to another level.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Warbreaker --> then Stormlight books. Or read the rest of Mistborn.

Warbreaker... I think that one can be skipped until his better works are read. Just didn't like it as much as everything else he's written. Re-reading the Mistborn trilogy is next on my list. If I can just plow through book #9 of Malazan.

Faiz

Warbreaker... I think that one can be skipped until his better works are read. Just didn't like it as much as everything else he's written. Re-reading the Mistborn trilogy is next on my list. If I can just plow through book #9 of Malazan.

I strongly believe it should be read before Words of Radiance at the very least.

suzu

Well, there's a good reason why I suggested Warbreaker before the Stormlight series, but I don't want to spoil it for new readers. :p

Sulik2

Read everything before Stormlight Archive. I feel like you get a lot more out of the SA, they are fantastic reads though, if you can appreciate the Cosmere threads in them.

Rithmatist and the Recokners books are actually really fun reads too even though non-cosmere.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Well, there's a good reason why I suggested Warbreaker before the Stormlight series, but I don't want to spoil it for new readers. :p

Oh I know why. I just didn't care much for the book itself, haha. I think all of his books deserve/need multiple reads anyway.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've been looking for a new fantasy series since finishing wheel of time a few years ago, might have to try this.

Faiz

Yeah, even in my spoiler tagged response I didn't want to put the real spoiler, heh.

Apologies for the *technically* double post but just popping in to say, the Kindle version of Alloy of Law is $2.99 right now and should be until the end of the year.

gdt

Just finished Firefight and that was a good time. I have issues with the dialog (especially the chats with Megan) but this book did a great job fleshing the world out and setting up the next book. The lore/world is so interesting.

Slayven

Just finished Firefight and that was a good time. I have issues with the dialog (especially the chats with Megan) but this book did a great job fleshing the world out and setting up the next book. The lore/world is so interesting.

I want to choke the fuck out the main character, but goddamn the world is so good I endure him for it.

Toxi

Banned
I'm a bit more than halfway through The Way of Kings. Amazing world building, but good God Kaladin's life sucks. The book should just be renamed "The myriad ways in which the universe hates Kaladin. Also crab battle."

Top Bottom