• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
LCG8WNi.jpg

Welcome to the official thread for Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, where we can discuss the books of this epic fantasy universe.

** USE SPOILER TAGS AND LABEL THEM PROPERLY ** Since there are readers discovering the Cosmere for the first time or going through Sanderson's work in various orders, please be considerate when discussing any specific events in the stories!

DMG buys rights to adapt Cosmere to film | GAF Thread
State of the Sanderson 2015

LATEST RELEASE: Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection - November 22, 2016

FVZZe3f.png

Brandon Sanderson is a prolific American writer whose main strengths are his extensive world-building, detailed magic systems, and incredible action scenes. He is most well known for the Mistborn books and completing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.​

0RRGSJL.png

The Cosmere is the name of the shared universe in which Sanderson's epic fantasy works take place. While each book or series can be read as standalone, they often have references and cameos that connect them to the larger story happening behind the scenes. The most obvious example is the character Hoid, who appears in nearly every Cosmere work. He is a Worldhopper who travels between planets in order to observe and sometimes influence major events. There are other characters capable of moving between worlds, including members of the mysterious organization called The Seventeenth Shard.

The mythology of the Cosmere centers around Adonalsium, the power of creation, which was broken into 16 pieces called Shards. Each Shard represents a facet of Adonalsium and grants godlike powers to whoever posesses it. The Shard holders often come into conflict and have ended up on different worlds of the Cosmere. Magic on each planet (such as Mistborn's Allomancy and The Stormlight Archive's Surgebinding) derives from the Shards that are present.

Sanderson eventually plans to bring the overarching story of the Cosmere to the forefront with Dragonsteel (a prequel series centered on the world Yolen, where Adonalsium's Shattering occurred) and the final Mistborn trilogy (which will take place in an advanced enough time period where travel between planets is common).​

NN4KoHN.png

The stories of the Cosmere can be read and enjoyed in any order, but I usually recommend people start with either The Mistborn Trilogy or Warbreaker. Mistborn is by far Sanderson's most popular work, while Warbreaker is a standalone novel that is available for free on his website. You can also go by publication date, starting with Sanderson's first novel Elantris. Once you've finished those 3, feel free to move onto any of the standalone novellas like The Emperor's Soul and then join the rest of us in waiting for the next books in The Stormlight Archive and Mistborn Adventures to come out. :)

If anyone else in CosmereGAF wants to share their recommended reading orders, please post and I'll stick 'em here.​

IK0Fdnn.png

Organized by the Shardworld on which each takes place...

[ Scadrial ]
Era 1:
The Mistborn Trilogy (referred to as the original or first trilogy)
--- The Final Empire (novel 1, often published as Mistborn or Mistborn: The Final Empire)
--- The Well of Ascension (novel 2)
--- The Hero of Ages (novel 3)
Mistborn: Secret History (companion novella to the Mistborn Trilogy, available standalone or in Arcanum Unbounded, best read after The Bands of Mourning)
The Eleventh Metal (short story included in the Mistborn Adventure Game, also available in Arcanum Unbounded, prequel to the trilogy but best read after)

Era 2
Mistborn Adventures (4-book series starring Wax)
--- The Alloy of Law (novel 1)
--- Shadows of Self (novel 2)
--- The Bands of Mourning (novel 3)
--- The Lost Metal (novel 4, upcoming 2017)
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania (short story included in the Alloy of Law Rule Book expansion of the Mistborn Adventure Game, also available in Arcanum Unbounded)​

[ Roshar ]
The Stormlight Archive (Sanderson's 10-book magnum opus)
--- The Way of Kings (novel 1)
--- Words of Radiance (novel 2)
--- Oathbringer (novel 3, expected 2017 release)
Edgedancer (short story included in Arcanum Unbounded)​

[ Sel ]
Elantris (novel)
The Hope of Elantris (short story, available on Sanderson’s website or in Arcanum Unbounded)
The Emperor’s Soul (novella, available standalone or in Arcanum Unbounded)​

[ Nalthis ] Warbreaker (novel, available for free on Sanderson’s website)

[ First of the Sun ] Sixth of the Dusk (novella, published in the Shadows Beneath anthology, also available in Arcanum Unbounded)

[ Taldain ] White Sand (graphic novel)

[ Threnody ] Shadows For Silence In The Forests Of Hell (novella published in the Dangerous Women anthology, also available standalone on Kindle or in Arcanum Unbounded)

** Note: the following Sanderson works are NOT part of the Cosmere:
set on alternate versions of Earth - Reckoners (Steelheart, Firefight, Calamity), The Rithmatist, Alcatraz series, Legion series
game adaptation - Infinity Blade series
from The Wheel of Time - The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light​

cpiiBQi.png

BrandonSanderson.com - author's website, follow news about tours/events and his writing progress
17thShard.com - official fansite, the forums contain tons of theory discussion and the collection of non-book Cosmere information (aka WoB or Word of Brandon)
Coppermind.net - official wiki, lots of excellent articles but be mindful of spoilers

GAF Words of Radiance |OT|

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
And there we go~ Guess I'll try to kick things off with a little icebreaker, yeah?

CosmereGAF - What was the first Cosmere book you read? When did you actually figure out or learn about the existence of a larger universe spanning these books?

I actually have GAF to thank for discovering Branderson, since people kept mentioning Mistborn in a thread about fictional magic systems that would make cool games. I looked him up as a result and then first read Warbreaker, since it was free online. I didn't actually learn about the Cosmere until after reading the Mistborn Trilogy as well and then stumbling on the 17th Shard site looking for fan communities.

Woorloog

Banned
I started reading Sanderson's stuff by randomly buying Mistborn.

The Cosmere itself? I think i read about it on Sanderson's annotation for his books. Or something like that. Either way i certainly didn't figure it out on my own.

Lirlond

My first Cosmere book was The Final empire, I then went on and read the mistborn books, the SA books, someone told me they were connected and I read the lot of them!

I love everything about this shared universe! The whole idea of shards, the creation myth, the way the magic systems work! I love magic systems!

Gnome

I read Mistborn and didn't care much for it. I really dig The Stormlight Archive though.

I think the reason I didn't like Mistborn much was because Sanderson tended to over explain powers and fights until I got bored. The books also had power creep which to me is just a big no no.

Woorloog

Banned
I read Mistborn and didn't care much for it. I really dig The Stormlight Archive though.

I think the reason I didn't like Mistborn much was because Sanderson tended to over explain powers and fights until I got bored. The books also had power creep which to me is just a big no no.

I'm thinking SA will have much, much, much more power creep.
Just a hunch.

Gnome

I'm thinking SA will have much, much, much more power creep.
Just a hunch.
You're probably not wrong. A major reason for it in Mistborn was constant introduction of new metals and anti-metals or w/e. I just hope it can be avoided in SA.

suzu

Nice OT! The first Cosmere book I read was Mistborn.

Those that're into the Stormlight series should def check out Warbreaker. :)

kswiston

I finished Elantris last month and didn't really notice any cameos or links. Anyone want to post a spoiler tagged list?

Woorloog

Banned
You're probably not wrong. A major reason for it in Mistborn was constant introduction of new metals and anti-metals or w/e. I just hope it can be avoided in SA.

I loved Allomancy in Mistborn, because of the fact new stuff got introduced.
Of course, only for the reader and partially in-universe, Sanderson had figured out the system beforehand, so it wasn't "new powers as the plot demands" per se. Sanderson seems to be keen on avoiding that.

I like Stormlight Archive but its magic has felt pretty boring so far. I'm not expecting it to become much better.
Heck, i have hard time believing Sanderson will exceed the Allomancy-Feruchemy-Hemalurgy trio in intricacy, coolness or anything else.

I finished Elantris last month and didn't really notice any cameos or links. Anyone want to post a spoiler tagged list?

The links are subtle.
Hoid
appears in practically every book but usually disguised, possibly only as a single-line description.
Elantris has probably least of links in all of Cosmere books.

EDIT Hoid probably doesn't need spoiler tags, right?

Gnome

I loved Allomancy in Mistborn, because of the fact new stuff got introduced.
Of course, only for the reader and partially in-universe, Sanderson had figured out the system beforehand, so it wasn't "new powers as the plot demands" per se. Sanderson seems to be keen on avoiding that.

I like Stormlight Archive but its magic has felt pretty boring so far. I'm not expecting it to become much better.
Heck, i have hard time believing Sanderson will exceed the Allomancy-Feruchemy-Hemalurgy trio in intricacy, coolness or anything else.
I hate reading about how powers work though. Which is why I'm more than fine with SA not evolving in that area. Less pages for fighting and power talk, means more for characterization.

I finished mistborn trilogy but didn't notice reference that it's part of larger universe. Is it just comes in other books?

Should I read mistborn adventures next, or start that planned 10 books epic?

Woorloog

Banned
I hate reading about how powers work though. Which is why I'm more than fine with SA not evolving in that area. Less pages for fighting and power talk, means more for characterization.

You do know SA's major theme is "the magic comes back"?

EDIT Sanderson has improved as a writer though, so i'm thinking any description of how powers work will have improved as well. Mistborn was a bit awkward about it at times (namely the book 2 and 3 beginnings, something about having to remind readers how things work).

ShinZed

I've read both Mistborn and Warbreaker and had no clue he was linking all his universes together. Huh, the more you know.

Woorloog

Banned
If someone doesn't notice the links, that's normal. They're kind of a bonus for those who are really careful, and/or have read all the books or have read the books multiple times.
At least, i think that's how they're mean to be.

The knowledge about Cosmere is utterly irrelevant for the books themselves. But it may make people appreciate some stuff more.

Gnome

You do know SA's major theme is "the magic comes back"?

EDIT Sanderson has improved as a writer though, so i'm thinking any description of how powers work will have improved as well. Mistborn was a bit awkward about it at times (namely the book 2 and 3 beginnings, something about having to remind readers how things work).
Yeah, but it doesn't end up reading like game documentation so it's much more palatable. It's also a lot less explained in minutiae. The powers are central to the plot, yes, but they take a back seat in his writing as I believe it should.

Is there any way to take those Warbreaker links on his website and convert them to something readable on Kindle?

Or at least some type of app on a phone or tablet (android) that will save my progress so I won't have to constantly remember what specific page I'm on between read times?

Faiz

Good job ExMachina!

So Shadows of Self came out just last week it's great to be back on Scadrial. I started with Mistborn when Sanderson was announced to take over completing Wheel of Time, as I would guess a lot of people did. So Mistborn will probably always feel like coming home in a way.

I'm really excited to see where he's going in the next book with
the southerners, Trell, and the unknown metal. The ending of Shadows with the revelations about Lessie were heartbreaking and I hope we see Wax pull through quickly. I don't want to see a full book of tortured Wax resenting Sazed.

Is there any way to take those Warbreaker links on his website and convert them to something readable on Kindle?

Or at least some type of app on a phone or tablet (android) that will save my progress so I won't have to constantly remember what specific page I'm on between read times?

Warbreaker is in PDF right? The (iOS) Kindle app remembers my place in all my PDFs, does the android kindle app not?

Sick thread! I just finished reading The Alloy of Law and am now 25 pages into Shadows of Self. Mistborn is brilliant. I look forward to reading The Stormlight Archive... but I think I will wait until the first season is completed.

I read the novella Perfect State before starting the second season of Mistborn. Not too bad. I would like to see some of the ideas presented in it expanded in some format that could fit into The Cosmere.

causan

Found out about Sanderson from the awesome "What are you reading?" threads here in GAF OT. Started with Mistborn trilogy then the Stormlight Archives. Really enjoyed Alloy of Law and I'm going to start Shadow of Self within the next few days.

He is probably my favorite writer right now though I thought Steelheart was merely okay.

Subbed!~

Mistborn was my first, I wanted to check it out after finding out Sanderson would be finishing up Wheel of Time. At that point Well of Ascension had just come out and I stumbled into the bigger Cosmere theories/connections on his old forums... Timewaster's Guide or something like that? Gah feels so long ago =X.

Faiz

One thing I wanted to talk about re: Shadows of Self

I'm extremely curious what conversation took place between Hoid and Wayne while they were riding together in the drivers seat of the coach while Wax was talking to Harmony. He hasn't always acted in significant ways when he appears, but the way he appeared and had some one on one time with Wayne, off page, during Wax's first fully realized conversation with God made it feel like it could be very significant this time.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
:D Glad to see people are enjoying the thread. I have a lot of thoughts re: Shadows of Self but I'm still kinda recovering from it, maybe I'll post some of 'em tomorrow...

BONUS: Here's the entire broadsheet from SoS (spoilers ofc) - I want one of those pups. ;)

It's definitely expected that readers don't figure out that there's a shared universe from reading one or two books, especially with his earlier writing. The Cosmere stuff will get more and more spotlight going forward though, as we can see with the Stormlight Archive already (realmatic theeeeoryyyy~).

I finished mistborn trilogy but didn't notice reference that it's part of larger universe. Is it just comes in other books?

It's really up to you! Both options would have you join the wait for the next books though. :p Even at his ridiculous writing pace, Mistborn Adventures won't be finished till 2017 and SA will easily span over a decade...

Honestly, if you're interested in going through all of the Cosmere I'd recommend you do Elantris and Warbreaker before moving on to his ongoing stuff, since those are self-contained/complete... plus it's much easier going if you start with his earlier writing and go forward.

EDIT Hoid probably doesn't need spoiler tags, right?

Haha, I kinda... spoiled him in the OP already as it's a simple connection to point out between books, so my vote is he doesn't need to be tagged. :p Just spoiler tag if you talk about exactly who he is in a specific book and what he does in that particular story, perhaps? That sound reasonable?

I read the PDF on my Kindle which was... less than ideal because the formatting isn't the best for that. It definitely remembered my place though.

A program like Calibre should be able to take the 6.1 PRC or Word Document and convert it into something proper for a Kindle.

Warbreaker is in PDF right? The (iOS) Kindle app remembers my place in all my PDFs, does the android kindle app not?

I read the PDF on my Kindle which was... less than ideal because the formatting isn't the best for that. It definitely remembered my place though.

A program like Calibre should be able to take the 6.1 PRC or Word Document and convert it into something proper for a Kindle.

Do you guys remember how you get a PDF into Kindle? I'm struggling a bit here.

I saved the PDF on my drop box and then go on my phone's drop box app to find it, then open it in Kindle, but from there it isn't loaded on my Kindle Carousel afterward and I would have to first go to drop box then into the kindle app to read it, which I think is where it loses my progress from before.

ExVicis

Aw man my kinda thread. First Cosmere book I ever read was the Way of Kings way back around when it released. I wanted to see what kinda stuff the guy who finished Wheel of Time could write so I figured I'd read it.

Ever since then man have I been an avid follower. Got to meet him and have him sign my hardcover copy of words of Radiance not too long ago.

Anyways the first time I realized it was a shared Universe was through the obvious way. The first book of the Stormlight Archives, the Way of Kings, has a great little character called
Hoid
. A very interesting outsider character who shows up in the story all over and makes fun of people and let's on he knows more than everyone else in the story and even is in the epilogue for a really interesting scene.

Not long after that my girlfriend and I began to read Mistborn...and sure enough
Hoid
appears in there too, different but much of the same character. And so I knew it wasn't a coincidence so I figured it was some shared Universe or something similar.

In any case whenever I met Brandon Sanderson he more or less answered that question and confirmed it himself that
Hoid
is a kind of traveler who goes around visiting different places. So because of his self-admitted attachment to that character I kind of have an interest in the character as well. If I somehow ever manage to write a book I would like to make a character much like that.

Edit: I spoiler-tagged him even if it was already spoiled just cause. Hope no one minds.

ZiZ

I read the original Mistborn trilogy and loved it. I've also read Alloy of Law.

I've bought a few other standalone Cosmere books but haven't had the chance to read them. I won't start reading any series though until it's complete, I hate cliff hangers.

does this Hoid character appear in Mistborn? I don't remember that name, but it's been a while.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys remember how you get a PDF into Kindle? I'm struggling a bit here.

I saved the PDF on my drop box and then go on my phone's drop box app to find it, then open it in Kindle, but from there it isn't loaded on my Kindle Carousel afterward and I would have to first go to drop box then into the kindle app to read it, which I think is where it loses my progress from before.
Oh, you meant the Kindle mobile app rather than the eReader, my bad. Have you tried going through the Dropbox app, selecting the PDF, then doing Export -> Save to Device? Then move it to Device Storage > Kindle and it should show up in the Kindle App library and save your place properly.

Awesome stuff, I met Brandon for the first time at a WoR signing too! And very cool that you figured out the connections by yourself, I think
Hoid being so prominent
in WoK was a big flag for a lot of readers.

It's cool re: the spoiler tags, though now I'm second guessing whether I should have the character so prominently named and explained in the OP... :p

VanWinkle

Nice thread.

My first Sanderson book was Way of Kings, I think about a year and a half ago. I got it based on a HUGE recommendation from my younger brother. I couldn't believe how good it was. It instantly shot up to my favorite book of all time.

After that I read Warbreaker (really liked it), and then Words of Radiance. My GOODNESS that book was incredible. I think it overshot Way of Kings as my favorite book, although I kind of go back and forth on that. I then read the Mistborn trilogy, which I adored.

I can't remember when I found out about the Cosmere overarching universe, but I am fascinated by it.

I read the original Mistborn trilogy and loved it. I've also read Alloy of Law.

I've bought a few other standalone Cosmere books but haven't had the chance to read them. I won't start reading any series though until it's complete, I hate cliff hangers.

does this Hoid character appear in Mistborn? I don't remember that name, but it's been a while.

He was in there, but he didn't play a big role at all. He had a scene with Kelsier where he was a street informant.

Why do I have such a hard time remembering what happened in the Stormlight Archive series? Might have to read the last book again before the next one comes out.

Never had this problem with ASOIAF.

VanWinkle

Why do I have such a hard time remembering what happened in the Stormlight Archive series? Might have to read the last book again before the next one comes out.

Never had this problem with ASOIAF.

Haha that's kind of funny, as my friend and I were talking about how many memorable scenes were in the series a couple of days ago.

Oh, you meant the Kindle mobile app rather than the eReader, my bad. Have you tried going through the Dropbox app, selecting the PDF, then doing Export -> Save to Device? Then move it to Device Storage > Kindle and it should show up in the Kindle App library and save your place properly.

Ah good call. Never knew I could do that. Thanks a bunch. Looks like it's good to go now. Very nice.

Anyway, to get more on topic, I have read a few Sanderson novels now. The first four Mistborn books, as well as Steelheart and Firefight. Are those not part of the larger Cosmere?

suzu

I'd go with Warbreaker (standalone) before jumping into the Stormlight books. Some nice moments when you figure out how it ties into Cosmere.

Ah good call. Never knew I could do that. Thanks a bunch. Looks like it's good to go now. Very nice.

Anyway, to get more on topic, I have read a few Sanderson novels now. The first four Mistborn books, as well as Steelheart and Firefight. Are those not part of the larger Cosmere?

The Reckoner series (and the Rithmatist series) take place on Earth so, nope. Unless
Hoid
somehow shows up in those books. lol

Epcott

Another Mistborn adventure in January? Maaaaan, Sanderson is a machine. And a new Stormlight is rumored for Spring, and Calamity sometime after. That man never sleeps it seems.

Awesome OP by the way, Ex!

Pickman

Mistborn was my first love. I tried a re-read and couldn't get through it, though.

SA is definitely up there for me so far.

I tried Steelheart but just couldn't get into it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

No problem, glad it worked!

And as suzu mentioned, if it takes place on Earth, it's not in the Cosmere - Brandon has said it's a completely different universe from our own.

Another Mistborn adventure in January? Maaaaan, Sanderson is a machine. And a new Stormlight is rumored for Spring, and Calamity sometime after. That man never sleeps it seems.

Thanks. :) And yeah, Brandon's output is downright ridiculous. When the man gets stuck on one project, he takes a break... by writing another entire book, lol.

arkon

I doubt the new Stormlight book is coming in Spring 2016. Fall/Winter 2016 if all goes well. Possibly early 2017.

Faiz

It's cool re: the spoiler tags, though now I'm second guessing whether I should have the character so prominently named and explained in the OP... :p

Nah, I think at this point explaining Hoid is a recurring character in most of the books is fine. Most people don't even pick up on it because he's basically a 1-2 page background character in the early books. I remember seeing it mentioned right after Well of Ascension came out - I already read Elantris, Final Empire, and WoA and hadn't realized it yet, hahah.

Way of Kings he's far more prominent though and that's when the connection really gets obvious - but honestly I think at that point his appearances are improved when you expect him to pop up somewhere already.

Pollux

What....? Shadows of Self is out? I haven't read a Misborn book since 2011. Should I re-read all 4 to lead into SoS or just read summaries? Any good summaries out there?

DieH@rd

Banned
Out of all this I've read first Mistborn trilogy and two that were released from Stormlight Archive. All were amazing. And I only found out about Cosmere after I've read them all, so I don't remember where Hoit was featured in them.

I did not even knew about Warbreaker, so I suppose that will be my next. After that I will switch back to Mistborn sequels. Can't wait for that. :)

As for entire Cosmere, it is gonna be a long wait until its conclusion. Stormlight will have 10 books, and Sanderson is not in a hurry to write them all out (but kudos to him for being so prolific with other books). Shame that Reckoners is not a part of this universe. Calamity has all the potential for being one of the shard bearers.

Faiz

What....? Shadows of Self is out? I haven't read a Misborn book since 2011. Should I re-read all 4 to lead into SoS or just read summaries? Any good summaries out there?

Maybe reread or summary for Alloy of Law but I don't think rereading the original trilogy is very important. The small hooks/call backs to era 1 are pretty obvious ones that you should pick up on easily. At most refresh yourself on how HOA ended.

Faiz

Out of all this I've read first Mistborn trilogy and two that were released from Stormlight Archive. All were amazing. And I only found out about Cosmere after I've read them all, so I don't remember where Hoit was featured in them.

I did not even knew about Warbreaker, so I suppose that will be my next. After that I will switch back to Mistborn sequels. Can't wait for that. :)

In the Mistborn books Hoid is super easy to miss, not even being named a couple times.

In Stormlight, Hoid is
secondary, but comparatively huge. This is why I say it's best to have Hoid pointed out to readers before they get to Stormlight, when Wit says he's Hoid the reader is going OOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIT. At least I know I was, hahah :D.

As for entire Cosmere, it is gonna be a long wait until its conclusion. Stormlight will have 10 books, and Sanderson is not in a hurry to write them all out (but kudos to him for being so prolific with other books). Shame that Reckoners is not a part of this universe. Calamity has all the potential for being one of the shard bearers.

Yep, gonna be a long long haul. Right now I think I'm most looking forward to the planned sequels to Elantris (because it was his first book and rough, and looking forward to him revisiting the setting and characters as the writer he's become) and Nightblood (sequel to Warbreaker, because Vasher and Nightblood are awesome). Gonna be a long wait for those though. :(

kmag

About 50% of any of his books dialogue is literally people talking about the rules of the magic system. He does write pretty good action sequences though.

I've been reading The Way of Kings for an embarassingly long time now.

Finished Part 3 a few weeks back, haven't started Part 4 since.

Despite my slow reading pace, I really am enjoying it. I wish I was able to be a more prolific reader.

Top Bottom