• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

What's the best place to start with his works?

The first book in any of his series are all good places to start. Some of his earlier stuff is a bit rough around the edges (Warbreaker) but still good and some of his books are aimed at younger audiences (Rithmatist is around Middle School, Alcatraz series is Elementary school-ish). You can take a it of a closer look at the link a few posts above that shows his bibliography.

exYle

I keep hearing this author's name, and really want some new Fantasy books to read once I complete Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. Question for everyone! While I like A Song of Fire and Ice, and the Book of Malazan or whatever was well-written...I don't like the amount of characters. How is Sanderson with the amount of characters in his books? Will I go batty trying to remember them all, or is it a manageable amount? Actually, my biggest critique of those two books I mentioned isn't JUST because they have so many characters...it is that they have so many characters that the POV shifts between. It makes it unbearable when I have to spend a lot of time with characters I don't care about. I enjoy books where I mostly hang with the same crew.

The Stormlight Archive books have quite a few POV characters, but one thing you might appreciate is that the book is divided into acts. And for each act, Sanderson will straight up tell you which characters (and thusly how many of them) actually have POV sections in them

zroid

Banned
Original Mistborn trilogy imo.

Elantris is rough enough to turn some people off.

The ideal order imo.
Mistborn 1-3
Elantris
Warbreaker
Stormlight Archive
(followed by misc)

I agree with this, but will add that you should read Mistborn Secret History after the trilogy (or after Bands of Mourning if you want), and Emperor's Soul after Elantris.

1. I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS AN OT!!!!

2. I hadn't read any Sanderson at all, knowing full well he finished off Jordan's WoT but never bothering.

3. I accidentally read the available Stormlight Archive books because someone said one of them was the only fantasy book recommended by Goodreads. And since I already love fantasy, I gave it a shot. AMAZING.

4. I didn't know it was part of a larger universe.

5. So I'm reaching back and starting Mistborn. I'm halfway through the first book and I haven't loved a beginning this much since I read Robin Hobb's Assassin series. This thing checks all my boxes.

6. I'M NOT ASKING AND DO NOT WANT SPOILERS ... but I am excited to figure out how the Stormlight books connects with this series. So far there seems to be no connection at all. Please don't tell me and only enjoy my ignorance. I can't WAIT to find out how these things tie together, even tangentially.

7. Sanderson really is a fantastic writer.

Welcome!

MilkBeard

Cool, just saw this OT pop up to the front page. I am looking to read one of his books, since I've been listening to the Writing Excuses podcast and want to give it a try.

I'll probably just get Warbreaker because it's free and go from there, but I was also interested in trying the Stormlight Archive series.

EDIT: Downloaded the Tor "First Print" edition from his page, and it seems to fit decently to my e-reader, considering it's a pdf. I'll probably give it a read once I finish the other two books I'm reading currently.

dionysus

Yaldog
I keep hearing this author's name, and really want some new Fantasy books to read once I complete Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. Question for everyone! While I like A Song of Fire and Ice, and the Book of Malazan or whatever was well-written...I don't like the amount of characters. How is Sanderson with the amount of characters in his books? Will I go batty trying to remember them all, or is it a manageable amount? Actually, my biggest critique of those two books I mentioned isn't JUST because they have so many characters...it is that they have so many characters that the POV shifts between. It makes it unbearable when I have to spend a lot of time with characters I don't care about. I enjoy books where I mostly hang with the same crew.

I have the same complaint about a lot of epic fantasy. Sanderson has much less and he sticks with the same ones throughout the series. In fact, he has said that having to finish WoT taught him a lot about fracturing a story too much and then trying to tie it all back together. Stormlight has about 5 main characters and interlude characters for world building purposes. The interludes are like short stories. Also, after book 1 the main characters have been mostly in the same place and interacting with each other.

zroid

Banned
Is he just going to post each chapter as he does them? It only goes to Chap 2.
actually in the editor's note it says that these were written years ago but never posted before. they're being posted now one at a time to lead up to Oathbringer. but it seems that they only will go up to chapter 12 or so unfortunately. better than nothing!

gdt

Wax and Wayne are awesome as all hell. The last two books were incredible. And a fantastic follow up to Mistborn. It’s become just as important for the universe as the original series.

Anyway I’m gearing up for the new book. Just ordered Arcanum Unbounded. And preordered SA3

Edit: I will say the first book is more of a straight detective case buddy cop romp. The other two are straight awesome epic action fanstasy. And it really pushes the universe forward too.

Just finished Well of Ascension last night. Really enjoyed the ending where
Vin fucks up royally. It almost casts the Lord Ruler in a slightly more sympathetic light -almost
. Looking forward to how things plays out in Hero of Ages

Just finished Well of Ascension last night. Really enjoyed the ending where
Vin fucks up royally. It almost casts the Lord Ruler in a slightly more sympathetic light -almost
. Looking forward to how things plays out in Hero of Ages

No almost about it. Definitely does.

Reading through everything again after you learn that (and finish the whole trilogy, really) is definitely a fun rollercoaster. Those books are crafted so well.

No almost about it. Definitely does.

Reading through everything again after you learn that (and finish the whole trilogy, really) is definitely a fun rollercoaster. Those books are crafted so well.

Only a few chapters in to Hero of Ages now, but definitely seeing more of that with
the messages detailing the other allomantic metals he left behind with the secret caches of food and other supplies, not to mention the snippets of Vin's memoirs at the beginning of each chapter

Looking even more forward to whatever else gets revealed. Plus I just love allomancy as a magic system, it's pretty neat

Man, I can't believe people are so down on Wax and Wayne, on a whim i read Alloy of Law and it's what got me into Sanderson books. From what I've read of Sanderson (which is most of his stuff), W&W's books are just as fun, plus the setting felt really unique, it's a big reason why I was interested in that particular book. I didn't realize people were not into those books as much.
Anyway bring on Oathbringer!

Faiz

Can anyone let me know if the revised ending to WoR has been included in the current Kindle edition of the book?

It is. In fact if anyone has the old Kindle version, they can easily update it to the new revision (which is what I did).

T.v

No idea how active this still is, but I'm currently making my way through Words of Radiance, and my god I just finished an incredibly tense section. Spoilers for the second half of WoR:
I just finished Adolin's duel, you know the one. This might be the first time a book has me on the edge of my seat so to speak. That moment of realization when everyone realizes they screwed up. Should be finished with this book in about a week or so, I'm not going too fast but it's already a step up from WoK, even though it has yet to deliver moments as grand. I'm really growing on Adolin. His interactions with Shallan and his reluctant developing friendship with Kaladin is great. Kaladin however is growing a bit too broody for me, and from the way the last chapter ended I only see it getting worse. Hoping for a bit more focus on Dalinar in part four.

One thing that's really done well in my opinion is the difference of perspective between Kaladin and Shallan. Kaladin talks about Shallan's interactions with Adolin in such a cynical matter, like she's just going through the motions, while from Shallan's chapters we gleam that it does come from a genuine space, and she does easily fall into such "giddy" behavior even though she tries her best to play the good wife. Just this stark difference in the way they view the world that Sanderson has managed to portray in a great way.

crazyprac

No idea how active this still is, but I'm currently making my way through Words of Radiance, and my god I just finished an incredibly tense section. Spoilers for the second half of WoR:
I just finished Adolin's duel, you know the one. This might be the first time a book has me on the edge of my seat so to speak. That moment of realization when everyone realizes they screwed up. Should be finished with this book in about a week or so, I'm not going too fast but it's already a step up from WoK, even though it has yet to deliver moments as grand. I'm really growing on Adolin. His interactions with Shallan and his reluctant developing friendship with Kaladin is great. Kaladin however is growing a bit too broody for me, and from the way the last chapter ended I only see it getting worse. Hoping for a bit more focus on Dalinar in part four.

One thing that's really done well in my opinion is the difference of perspective between Kaladin and Shallan. Kaladin talks about Shallan's interactions with Adolin in such a cynical matter, like she's just going through the motions, while from Shallan's chapters we gleam that it does come from a genuine space, and she does easily fall into such "giddy" behavior even though she tries her best to play the good wife. Just this stark difference in the way they view the world that Sanderson has managed to portray in a great way.

It gets better 😏

T.v

It gets better 😏

Good to know. Looks like the next interlude is pretty meaty. I guess it'll focus a lot on Eshonai, since some weird stuff is going on over there. It's a wonder I have remained unspoiled for so long, though I have a suspicion about at least on thing that'll happen. Hoping to finish somewhere next week, so we'll see.
I did like Dalinar finally snapping at Kaladin a bit. Telling him to stop playing around and focus on the important things. Now if only Syl would do something similar.

Plumpman

Yes it is. I'm in Canada but I order all of Sanderson's books from the UK for these cover styles.

I also import all of Sanderson's books from the UK!
The minimalist cover art with bold colors really hits all the right notes for me.
Always makes me want to read even more and show it off.

T.v

Spoilers for Words of Radiance ahead.

A DAUGHTER DISOBEYS

Chills as soon as I read these words. Kaladin now finally deserves his bond. The fifth part so far has been insane, I cannot wait to finish the last 50 or so pages tomorrow.
I will say, the section before this one, the one with Kaladin and Shallan in the chasms was not very enjoyable to me. I do not like these two characters together at all, which might be intentional since their Spren do not seem friendly to each other, but still. And for the love of god Sanderson, do NOT turn this into a love triangle between Kaladin, Adolin and Shallan. That would destroy me and the seeds are definitely being planted. I'll have faith in his writing being above this.

bicen

Neo Member
I started listening to tWoK at the beginning of August during my morning and afternoon commutes. I am currently just reaching the final part of WoR and I am loving every minute of it and actually look forward to the drive each day. I still have one more book I have to listen to before Oathbringer, but I guess I can consider that a good thing because I have more time to spend with the story before the long wait for book 4. I wish I knew someone, anyone, in real life that I could share this with. I don't know anyone else who has read or listened to Stormlight Archive. It's sort of a bummer!

aaronsan

Banned
I was very disappointed by Shadows of Self.

Still very much here for the Stormlight Archive Though.

I was, too. But perhaps for my own personal reasons. I didn't appreciate the facile religious debates he constructed to try and debunk atheist arguments against belief in God. I felt it was his (I hear) devout Mormonism finally rearing its head. I'll leave out the adjective on "head" so we can each supply our own.

For me, it was like reading a summary of some lame anti-feminist youtuber's video (I'll leave names out again) critiquing the weakest and craziest feminists he can find. "God, why don't you end all disease? God, why do bad things happen?"

SMH

T.v

Just finished WOR, some thoughts.

It certainly delivered in the final stretch, though the ending was a bit empty compared to TWOK. Jasnah being alive was incredibly predictable, but not a bad thing.
Renarin's reveal could have been handled better as it felt a bit shoehorned in at the last moment. Adolin going forward seems to me the most interesting character, as I can see things going south for him. His father, brother, betrothed and Kaladin being Radiants,
he'll get left behind a bit, which might lead to resentment. At least this is what I feel his arc will be next. I could also be completely off. Also, Dalinar bonding the Stormfather was great, you could easily imagine the Stormfather being like "ugh, fine. But don't think I'll like it."

Reading about the change Sanderson made, I agree with his decision.

I am glad the next book is just around the corner, waiting would have sucked.

Top Bottom