• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson - The Cosmere |OT| there's always another secret...

Kinan

Excellent thread, subscribed. Still reading heroes of ages, but will soon move on to Era2 books, thanks for very clear classification, OP.

So even though Mistborn: Secret History was supposed to release today alongside Bands of Mourning, it didn't unlock last night at midnight (there was some kind of mix up and it was dated for a Feb 9th release).

They've somewhat fixed it though and the new release date is listed as January 30th. Which should be good since Brandon has said it contains a smallish spoiler for Bands.

matmanx1

I'm insanely excited for SA3, as Dalinar has been my favorite character throughout so far. There's so much I want to know about his past.

I agree with this. I've read the first three Mistborn novels and I liked them less and less by the time I was finished. The first was great, the second was good and then then third was sort of "meh" by the time I reached the end.

Stormlight Archive, on the other hand, is completely fantastic and I consider it to be in the upper tier of fantasy books that I have ever read. In short, more SA books please, Mr Sanderson.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Updated the OP! Got to read a little bit of Bands of Mourning during my lunch break and gonna dig into it now. :D

And I pre-ordered Secret History... how the hell does Sanderson keep popping out these projects on the side while continuing his progress on everything else, lol.

Kaladin

So essentially Sanderson has released 2.5 Mistborn books in the past 4 months.

If we thought he was a robot before...

Sulik2

Updated the OP! Got to read a little bit of Bands of Mourning during my lunch break and gonna dig into it now. :D

And I pre-ordered Secret History... how the hell does Sanderson keep popping out these projects on the side while continuing his progress on everything else, lol.

My guess, is that unlike most writers he actually treats writing like a job. Works 8-5 everyday and always gets stuff done.

x-Lundz-x

Just wanted to say I love this thread and I'm so excited we have a new amazing fantasy author in Sanderson.

I've read the first era mistborn books and the storm light archive and going to start the new era mistborn books soon.

Strobli

Neo Member
Did we already know that Brandon was going to be writing a Stormlight Archive novella this year? I just got the Sanderson newsletter in my inbox and he says he's going to publish both a Lift and a Lopen story in the upcoming Cosmere collection (characters are tentative though!). All because Book 3 is taking longer than he intended! I absolutely love his transparency.

Getting close to done with Bands... no spoilers, but man, just trying to imagine the kind of techno-magic stuff we're going to get in the final/scifi Mistborn trilogy like 10 years from now (-_____-)... It'll be completely nuts.

MartyStu

"Bands of Mourning" is the standard non-challenging Sanderson fare.

The seams in his characterizations are getting more and more obvious. I really wish he would slow down with these.

I do not think I will ever truly be impressed by his work, but he is still a joy to read.

"Bands of Mourning" is the standard non-challenging Sanderson fare.

The seams in his characterizations are getting more and more obvious. I really wish he would slow down with these.

I do not think I will ever truly be impressed by his work, but he is still a joy to read.

I don't think if you're looking for that in his work you'll ever be but the groundwork for the lore and functionality of a systematic and thoroughly explored magic system is usually astounding.
Following up Mistings with Twinborns was ingenious.

heyf00L

My guess, is that unlike most writers he actually treats writing like a job. Works 8-5 everyday and always gets stuff done.

He does. And his favorite hobby is writing, and in his free time he writes.

Seriously. He pops into r/fantasy all the time and says things to that effect. He said he wrote Bands of Morning because he was stuck in Shadows of Self and thought doing the next book would help. He wasn't even planning to do that time period but wrote Alloy of Law for fun and liked it so much he decided to make a full trilogy out of it.

MartyStu

I don't think if you're looking for that in his work you'll ever be but the groundwork for the lore and functionality of a systematic and thoroughly explored magic system is usually astounding.
Following up Mistings with Twinborns was ingenious.

Yeah, like his characters, his magic systems are extremely mechanical. Luckily, this is a good thing in their case.

obin_gam

Can I jump on at Alloy of Law or whatever it's called. Not a fan of medieval fantasy, but Steampunk sounds good.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So which of Sanderson's books are must read to get a better picture of the cosmere for one that has only read the 2 SA books?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree with this. I've read the first three Mistborn novels and I liked them less and less by the time I was finished. The first was great, the second was good and then then third was sort of "meh" by the time I reached the end.

Stormlight Archive, on the other hand, is completely fantastic and I consider it to be in the upper tier of fantasy books that I have ever read. In short, more SA books please, Mr Sanderson.

I feel the same about Mistborn. A little less enthusiastic about SA but I wouldn't say I wasted my time listening to them.

Fine, its not medieval though, which is the thing that hooks me :)

I honestly don't feel like the original Mistborn trilogy was particularly medieval either. At least in the sense that the series has a heavy focus on an urban environment and eschews the trappings of sword, horses, etc that you typically get in medieval fantasy. Further the focus on the first book is a heist story which is also a bit more characteristic in settings closer to modern day.

The first Mistborn trilogy is pre-technology but it isn't your typical medieval society. The second era (Alloy of Law through Bands of Mourning) is closest to a Wild West-esque era.. though it does actually have elements that feel steampunkish even if they're not strict steampunk.

suzu

Can I jump on at Alloy of Law or whatever it's called. Not a fan of medieval fantasy, but Steampunk sounds good.

As others have mentioned already, it's not really a conventional medieval fantasy. I say give the original trilogy a try.

So which of Sanderson's books are must read to get a better picture of the cosmere for one that has only read the 2 SA books?

- Warbreaker. I've even suggested people read this between the two SA books. lol
- The original Mistborn trilogy.

Faiz

I know I said I was out till next week sometime but I can't help myself :(

Regarding Mistborn era 1: like others have said, not medieval in any way. It bears more in common with regency fiction than typical medieval settings of epic fantasy.

I'm currently making my way through The Hero of Ages and am looking for some advice on what to read once I finish.

Originally I was going to dive straight into Alloy of Law, but I'm thinking maybe Warbreaker or Elantris instead. Any recommendations?

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, original Mistborn setting is a hybrid-setting.
Indeed, the same applies to ALL Sanderson's settings. Sanderson notes in his annotations that his settings tend to be more Renaissance-like but even that is simplification. (And when you think about it, most fantasy isn't actually very medieval, Renaissance-like is more common i think.)
The Mistborn era 2 is roughly late 19th-century and early 20th century like for most part, but there's stuff that is missing and stuff that is way more advanced.

I recommend Warbreaker if one is looking for something else than Mistborn. Very, very good, for most part.
Elantris is... eh, meh. That priest character is so good though, one of the best Sanderson's ever written.

obin_gam

I sidestepped the Mistborn novels for now, and went all in with buying the (45 hour!) audiobook of The Way of Kings. I was kinda scared at first, the longest book I've read before is probably "only" about 29 hours.
I am currently 4 chapters in, and feeling a bit confused as to what is happening. I'm guessing the book starts with a lot of character development for - I haven't learned their names yet, I'm referencing them in my head as - "the slave" and "the lady" since the plot is a blur to me right now :p
I'm "seeing" the sparkles of greatness though, and I feel this 45 hour project is going to be time very well spent.

There's crazy Cosmere-y story stuff happening in Secret History that I didn't think we'd be reading about for yeaaaaars still.

Khriss! <3

telasoman

Yeah, original Mistborn setting is a hybrid-setting.
Indeed, the same applies to ALL Sanderson's settings. Sanderson notes in his annotations that his settings tend to be more Renaissance-like but even that is simplification. (And when you think about it, most fantasy isn't actually very medieval, Renaissance-like is more common i think.)
The Mistborn era 2 is roughly late 19th-century and early 20th century like for most part, but there's stuff that is missing and stuff that is way more advanced.

I recommend Warbreaker if one is looking for something else than Mistborn. Very, very good, for most part.
Elantris is... eh, meh. That priest character is so good though, one of the best Sanderson's ever written.

This might sound slightly sacrilegious, but I had trouble getting through Elantris while reading it, and just listened to the Graphic Audio version of the story while working out instead. Really like the voice actors for this and helped me finish it.

ryseing

Is there a continuous story that bridges the two centuries? Or are they largely self contained trilogies?

Things in the first trilogy have a major impact on the second.

Different characters, different time period, but the first trilogy is about how that world came to be.

Is it better to read Secret History after Stormlight Archive, or does that not matter? All I really know about the Cosmere so far is that
Hoid is everywhere and Preservation and Ruin are shards, whatever that actually means

LProtag

Is it better to read Secret History after Stormlight Archive, or does that not matter? All I really know about the Cosmere so far is that
Hoid is everywhere and Preservation and Ruin are shards, whatever that actually means

I just finished it. I think you'll get a bit more out of it when you know more about the Cosmere.

That being said, it'll still be a fantastic companion piece to the original Mistborn trilogy if you decide to read it right now.

suzu

This might sound slightly sacrilegious, but I had trouble getting through Elantris while reading it, and just listened to the Graphic Audio version of the story while working out instead. Really like the voice actors for this and helped me finish it.

Nah, I still haven't finished reading Elantris either. Something about the writing is mehhh. I've read and enjoyed The Emperor's Soul though, which is set on the same world.

Elantris is by far his worst work. His writing has come a long way since then, so I wouldn't completely discard Sanderson based off of that.

NomarTyme

I listened to All of the Mistborn series in audio form so far because I'm semi illiterate. I agree Michael Kramer the narrator is so good with his voice acting.

So far I'm sipping through Band of Mourning! so good! Fucking Wayne is the tits!

x-Lundz-x

I listened to All of the Mistborn series in audio form so far because I'm semi illiterate. I agree Michael Kramer the narrator is so good with his voice acting.

So far I'm sipping through Band of Mourning! so good! Fucking Wayne is the tits!

Micahel Kramer is amazing.

You should listen to the wheel of time someday.

hythloday

Elantris is by far his worst work. His writing has come a long way since then, so I wouldn't completely discard Sanderson based off of that.

The main problem I had with Elantris was the discussion of
the competing religious sects. The characters are constantly talking about converting people, people of this faction worshiping this way versus that way, etc, and there was little context to what that actually meant. Like real life schisms, I suppose.
It really distracted me from the story, which wasn't bad in itself.

Top Bottom