• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Based on various previews of the game, I always thought the English dub was horrible. But that's just a small part of the game, so it's not a big deal. Is the overall dub good throughout the game? I might use the JP voice option.

Sora_N

Based on various previews of the game, I always thought the English dub was horrible. But that's just a small part of the game, so it's not a big deal. Is the overall dub good throughout the game? I might use the JP voice option.

Seem quite decent for me. I didnt realize this game had JP voices though... So tempting now!

Zornica

Banned
Spoil me if it's a gameplay thing. If it's story, nevermind.

I guess it's kinda both? But there is no reason to worry about it really.
I think this gets blown way out of proportion.
But without a doubt this will cause many meltdowns in the OT, because most people won't care or even try to understand why the game does what the game does and why the developers did what they did.
As I said like 50 pages ago, I think it's brilliantly cruel.

Renoir

There's a side quest dungeon and these:
sn0ZhGC.png

aww yisss.

But without a doubt this will cause many meltdowns in the OT, because most people won't care or even try to understand why the game does what the game does and why the developers did what they did.

I get what they were going for, but they really could have cut the cycles in half or something

Mentallyerect

Neo Member

Damn, now you have me desperately fighting the urge to google this lol. I'll try and control myself. Really can't wait for this game to release though and loving the Streetpass features. I think Nintendo has made Streetpass or a feature similar to it, mandatory for every handheld here on out, its that good.

zroid

Banned
Though I don't know what "it" is, I think I have a pretty good idea by now, and if it's what I'm expecting, well, I probably won't mind too much. I've been down this road before, lol.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I'm guessing its something to the affect of getting stripped of jobs/levels/skills or something to that affect.

Answer me this at least. is this going to come and bite me in the ass if I do a lot of grinding in my playthrough?

Zornica

Banned
I get what they were going for, but they really could have cut the cycles in half or something

but it wouldn't be nearly as cruel that way... :p and you also wouldn't go through the same suffering the characters go through. In some weird way, you could call it the first real step forward for video games - feeling what/how your characters feel.

and the inclusion of the fake ending to brake the cycle/giving you a way out was brilliant

I can't blame anyone for hating it, I hated it too initially. But the more I think about it, the more I can appreciate what they did.

Answer me this at least. is this going to come and bite me in the ass if I do a lot of grinding in my playthrough?

no, you won't loose anything, except your patients maybe

but it wouldn't be nearly as cruel that way... :p and you also wouldn't go through the same suffering the characters go through. In some weird way, you could call it the first real step forward for video games - feeling what/how your characters feel.

and the inclusion of the fake ending to brake the cycle/giving you a way out was brilliant

I can't blame anyone for hating it, I hated it too initially. But the more I think about it, the more I can appreciate what they did.
Did they pull an
Endless Eight
? What you're implying sounds pretty awful.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
Good I love me a good grind in these old school jrpgs lol. . Patience is one of my virtues so I should be able to manage lol. Can't wait for this game already. Between grinding jobs and the village, I can see me my 3ds is going to be putting in work.

Zornica

Banned
Did they pull an
Endless Eight
? What you're implying sounds pretty awful.

Don't worry about it. It's not nearly as bad as it may sound. And the ending ties everything together quite nicely. It's absolutely worth it.
from what I can remember, there was no pay off with the
endless 8
. That's most definitely not the case here.

no, you won't loose anything, except your patients maybe

Doctor DLC class confirmed!
:p

edit: obvious spoilers below

main problem I had with the true ending, besides the fact that you had to go around and awaken 20 fucking crystals, was that the entire party basically forgot what they had learned over chapters 5-8

Damnit. I do surgery on brains for a living so this sounds like bad, bad news. You sure about this?? Might have to pass.

LOL 10/10

I have been playing the demo, but I'm less than impressed to be honest. Visually the game is great, and I love the world map and dungeons. I don't care for the town though. Are all the towns like the one int he demo? As in you can't really go in buildings and what not?

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I have been playing the demo, but I'm less than impressed to be honest. Visually the game is great, and I love the world map and dungeons. I don't care for the town though. Are all the towns like the one int he demo? As in you can't really go in buildings and what not?

Yeah, I was turned off by that. I know going into most buildings in most jrps is all just fluff that doesn't really net you much, and could be cut, but it does add to the environment IMO. Its something I'll have to live with and is my only complaint with the game as of my current time with the demo.

Hopefully the sequel that I think its being made (someone correct me here, not 100% on that) fixes that.

It isn't a JRPG if I can't rummage through random npc's dressers for potions and antidotes and listen to their random nonsense lol

FryHole

Afraid that's the case most of the time - in each town there's usually a building you can enter for story reasons, but there's no random NPC building ransacking in this game and the shops just open a menu rather than going in. It was one of my complaints with the game, too.

what are these Bravely Quests that you're referring to

"Social" quests in which Japanese players participate by uploading their data to the Members' Site. In the case of BDFtS, you also have to click "participate" on the Members' Site. If the BQ gets cleared, all participants get DLC items such as these.
m8tBwdQ.jpg

Wonder if I can complain long enough to amazing and force it to 1 day shipping. Mine finally changed to preparing to ship but for Feb 11 release.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doubt I'll be lucky, but gonna head on over to GS tomorrow after class since they open up at 10 AM & see if they get any extra LEs. Part of me feels as though I should still get the game since I have about $80 in credit, but I really wanted that OST to listen in the car & can't help but feel it'll be $30 or lower later in the year, especially considering my backlog & dealing with college.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall it's only the game for the normal edition. If you want extra stuff, that's where the LE comes in.

Oh yeah, considering that one feature where you can register friends online for that little village, is there gonna be a separate thread for that, people post & then added to OP, or something? I got kind of lucky & got 7 villagers via StreetPass...granted, AFTER I kept my 3DS in sleep mode for a few days straight with just my 1 villager.

Ooccoo

Ok the game is cool and all but WTF at the
Knight fight. I can't do it. The dude protects the two archers and I deal him 1-2 damage. Also, the special attacks are very confusing, I can't activate them. It feels like if you don't have Summons (i.e. friends) for a boss battle you are basically screwed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, it would suck to not have the AR card(s) when starting this game.
What do the AR cards do? Do they serve any purpose aside from "woooo, look at the characters appear in real life!"? I saw that one AR video via getting the card from the game's website.

What do the AR cards do? Do they serve any purpose aside from "woooo, look at the characters appear in real life!"? I saw that one AR video via getting the card from the game's website.

You don't need them. There's a forced AR movie at the start, but you can press START to let the game guess for you (sometimes it's guess works better, especially if you're in a dark room).

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Doubt I'll be lucky, but gonna head on over to GS tomorrow after class since they open up at 10 AM & see if they get any extra LEs. Part of me feels as though I should still get the game since I have about $80 in credit, but I really wanted that OST to listen in the car & can't help but feel it'll be $30 or lower later in the year, especially considering my backlog & dealing with college.

Going to do the same. Two GS's near me have the game listed, so I'll take a shot at picking it up, but will be going digital if I can't pick up the CE.

Is there any word of other retail outlets carrying the CE?

You should have Release Day delivery if you chose 2 day shipping. If not, just reselect 2 day

it was already selected. ive just been having issues with amazon not only with shipping. it even creeped up to my billing address. but it was already preparing to ship yesterday night so i didn't have time to change it.

but they gave me $10 credit instead.

this will happen to tales of symphonia too ( nothing i change gives me a release date)

also. Best buy preorder here too LOL.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Going to do the same. Two GS's near me have the game listed, so I'll take a shot at picking it up, but will be going digital if I can't pick up the CE.

Is there any word of other retail outlets carrying the CE?
Amazon has it listed & Best Buy as well, though both are sold out online.

Speaking of GS, when I went in on Monday, I saw the CE was the first one listed on a little booklet of CEs that were available for pre-order. Kind of made it more disappointing they weren't accepting any more.

alichino

Yeah, I was turned off by that. I know going into most buildings in most jrps is all just fluff that doesn't really net you much, and could be cut, but it does add to the environment IMO. Its something I'll have to live with and is my only complaint with the game as of my current time with the demo.

Hopefully the sequel that I think its being made (someone correct me here, not 100% on that) fixes that.

It isn't a JRPG if I can't rummage through random npc's dressers for potions and antidotes and listen to their random nonsense lol

I was just about to post about this. I love the visuals so far, but I was bummed when I kept walking up to really interesting looking buildings and couldn't go inside any of them. It's true that a lot of JRPG's have NPC's in houses that contains dialogue that doesn't really add a whole lot to the overall story, but I think it really adds a lot in terms of the overall feeling of immersion. When I see a bunch of doors inside buildings and in towns that I can't go in to, it feels more like a stage or a setting rather than an actual place. I wonder if this was an intentional design decision or something done for budgetary reasons? Interestingly enough, Xenoblade had a similar issue but it didn't bother me as much since towns were so vibrant regardless.

Anyway, otherwise the game is great so far. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the combat system. I was a little irked to discover
the whole micro transactions via SP potions ala a system very similar to buying those magic stones in Puzzle & Dragons
, but at least you can earn them when the system is in sleep mode.

Leeness

Ok the game is cool and all but WTF at the
Knight fight. I can't do it. The dude protects the two archers and I deal him 1-2 damage. Also, the special attacks are very confusing, I can't activate them. It feels like if you don't have Summons (i.e. friends) for a boss battle you are basically screwed.

You might need to level or look at your weapons? I think I was levels 9 to 11 and jobs at 2 or 3 and I stomped all over him. I had Tiz as a monk, Agnes as a white Mage, Ringabel on black Mage and Edea on the freelancer job class. Made sure to deal with the little henchmen first (first turn I just Braved Tiz four times and took the lost turns and got rid of the guys immediately, Tiz as a monk can generally deal with them one shot or possibly two, so four attacks does the trick). After that, it was just smashing the knight. Tiz and Edea could deal the physical damage (probably about 600 between them with a bunch of Braves, especially if Tiz used invigorate), Agnes on support and Ringabel doing extra damage with black magic. I don't think I used any special attacks or summons.

Default when he gets to 0 turns because he will brave sometimes, or he'll put up some defense.

Good luck! You can do it!

ys45

Damn it ! I won't be here tomorrow when my game will be delivered and won't be able to pick it up until Monday (shipping company is closed on week-end) -_-

Damn you Nintendo for releasing games on a Friday !

I understand that I really do, however after playing hours and hours of Pokemon the last thing I want to do it walk in and out of every building talking to NPC's and finding a potion in a drawer.

shops and inns you should be able to enter but it makes no sense to just walk into peoples houses.

Nintyb

Banned
What's this AR cards nonsense? Do they come with the standard edition? I wanted to buy it digitally buy if those are needed, I'll get the retail instead.

So I'm dumb and back over a year ago before this game was out in English, I saw a video of the final boss battle. Does this game have a big epic story? If it does I'll be a bit disappointed for ruining bits of it. Here's the bit I saw:

MAJOR SPOILERS (probably), DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE COMPLETED THE GAME:
I saw that the fairy dude is one of the final bosses. I don't know any details of the story besides that. Does knowing this ruin the whole story?

Anyways, the game looks pretty fun (Played an hour of the demo), I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What's this AR cards nonsense? Do they come with the standard edition? I wanted to buy it digitally buy if those are needed, I'll get the retail instead.
They only come with the LE, but from what I'm hearing, you only get either short movies or the standard character popping out of the card.

Top Bottom