• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second subtitle revealed: End Layer [Bravely Default spoilers lurk within]

Qurupeke

Japanese box art

54D86CB34E517C0013

Awful cover compared to the FTS one.

Forkball

Only Bravely Default could warrant a "subtitle theory" thread.

I thought the story of the first game was a pretty different take on the genre. I'm interested to see how they subvert expectations with this entry.

Holy crap, they actually did it, they managed to create a title as stupid and meaningless as the first game. Square, I gotta hand it to you, your ability to eviscerate the English language and twist it into an incomprehensible mess is unparalleled in the industry.

vareon

Holy crap, they actually did it, they managed to create a title as stupid and meaningless as the first game. Square, I gotta hand it to you, your ability to eviscerate the English language and twist it into an incomprehensible mess is unparalleled in the industry.

.....huh. Did you play Bravely Default? It refers to both the game's theme and gameplay mechanic. Stupid YMMV, but meaningless?

As for the subtitle, Where The Fairy Flies is a better sounding, but less smart version of Flying Fairy.

Neo Dark

What does 358/2 Days mean?

Makes more sense if they wrote the title the way they wanted you to read it. Read as...
358 Days over 2... 2 being Roxas and Xion and 358 days was the amount of days in the organization. Genius right? You know I was always taught 358/2 is read 358 over 2 but hey that's Square Enix logic for ya!

Edit: Oh was that a hypothetical question? Just read what you quoted. But yeah it's stupid how it was written regardless.

Btw, did the Japanese title screen change like ours or were you supposed to figure that out on your own?

And what if the secret is that when you get to a certain part of the game the title screen changes to "The True Final Fantasy XIII-2"
Jokes is how everyone considers Bravely Default as what FFXIII should have been

Dr. Buni

Were you playing for the plot, or battle system?

Cause the plot gets a lot worse bad from that point on, but the best boss battles start to appear from chapter 6+ forward.
So... the game is not worth playing for the plot?
Specially after knowing the Lying Airy twist ?

FTS cover is boring imho

the game titles aren't that meaningless as you think

I'm aware of the tortured explanation adopted by fans of the game. I'm sure it starts to make sense to you after you hear it repeated over and over on message boards. It still doesn't change the fact that the title was likely chosen by a Japanese developer with little to no actual experience with English as a form of communication, probably by flipping through a thesaurus, seeing a word or two he half remembers from an English class in junior high school, and then chucking the whole thesaurus down a stairwell and picking the first word he sees on whatever page comes up.

I'm aware of the tortured explanation adopted by fans of the game. I'm sure it starts to make sense to you after you hear it repeated over and over on message boards. It still doesn't change the fact that the title was likely chosen by a Japanese developer with little to no actual experience with English as a form of communication, probably by flipping through a thesaurus, seeing a word or two he half remembers from an English class in junior high school, and then chucking the whole thesaurus down a stairwell and picking the first word he sees on whatever page comes up.

Uh... just to check, you realise the title change people talk about actually happens in the game, right? Past a certain point, the title screen of the game changes to
Bravely Default: Lying Airy/ Where the Airy Lies
depending on your region.

It's not just some insane thing people dreamt up on message boards.

Uh... just to check, you realise the title change people talk about actually happens in the game, right? Past a certain point, the title screen of the game changes to
Bravely Default: Lying Airy/ Where the Airy Lies
depending on your region.

It's not just some insane thing people dreamt up on message boards.

I was referring to the "bravely default" part, but never having played the game you are going to have to explain how this twist with the title changing isn't the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard.

JerkShep

I have not been keeping up with information released, do we have good chances of seeing the game in the west before the end of the century? Don't want to get hyped for nothing

demidar

I was referring to the "bravely default" part, but never having played the game you are going to have to explain how this twist with the title changing isn't the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard.

You're seriously complaining about a game you've never played? =_=

thisisneogaf.gif

Bravely defaulting gets you one of the game's endings.

LuuKyK

Not really feeling the cover.

In retrospect the
lying airy
thing seems so obvious now with the
capital F's
. I cant believe no one pointed that out when it was first revealed.

duckroll

So what's the subtitle gimmick going to be this time? Are they going to add letters to the front? BEND SLAYER? Are they going to rearrange the letters instead? :p

Oregano

Not really feeling the cover.

In retrospect the
lying airy
thing seems so obvious now with the
capital F's
. I cant believe no one pointed that out when it was first revealed.

Well everybody was misdirected by it
having the initials FF
as a reference to its lineage. It was only
when FF was taken away
that the true meaning was revealed.

Illucio

Banned
End Layer

The last word will change to Slayer, I'm calling it now.

End.. End Slayer...? Send Slayer? Mend Slayer?

By how it's centered in the text though it looks more like End will have a word added and layer might stay the same though.

Send Layer? Mend Layer?

Edit: I just found out someone beat me to it.
WAIT I GOT IT!

FRIEND SLAYER!

AmNyzXZ.jpg

The subtitle makes perfect sense in the game. The fact you were babbling about the title just proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom