• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an anecdotal account and gives me very little insight into the situation at large.

What are the pro-Israel folk saying about occupation/expansion into Gaza, and treatment of internal non-Jews? Do they deny it, or say that missile strikes are an inappropriate response, or what?
Israel has right to defend itself, we must destroy the tunnels, we must take out Hamas etc etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there evidence of this? Just trying to stay clear of possible bias.

There's evidence that warning shots are given, but also evidence that it is an irregular amount of time given ranging from about a minute to 15, it doesn't always happen, can't account for sick, inured, and elderly, and according to an article way back in this thread, a Palestinean man has said that it is actually safer sometimes to stay inside the building then out of it

In addition to this, they don't have many places to go, with Gaza being smaller than some some cities, the borders being blocked, and the fact that it is one of the most densely populated areas in the world

nib95

Banned
Some more shots from the London Palestine solidarity protest! I knew it'd be a big turn out but I never expected this much.

1VhlXB.jpeg

FVtkI2.jpeg

dauzxo.jpeg

4H63Sa.jpeg

CYqPRk.jpeg

frgjrg.jpeg

uGrL1H.jpeg

RiZ III

For those looking to help the besieged Gazans, you can send money to UNRWA which is the UN agency on ground in Gaza providing shelter and food for the people. They recently announced they are running out of emergency funds which would be a disaster. http://www.unrwa.org/donate

nib95

Banned
For those looking to help the besieged Gazans, you can send money to UNRWA which is the UN agency on ground in Gaza providing shelter and food for the people. They recently announced they are running out of emergency funds which would be a disaster.
Do you have the URL link? Will gladly help them out. I've read/heard some of the UN camps are absolutely stuffed full of displaced Palestinians, with more and more joining their ranks everyday, but leaving them struggling to cope. I think one of the camps has 40,000 Palestinians in it according to the BBC.

LNBL

Also a demonstration in Amsterdam at the Museumplein at 15:00 if people are interested, i'll probably be there too.

RiZ III

What exactly does free Palestine mean?

End the illegal occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. Although Israel left Gaza several years ago, they have had it under siege for more than 7 years now meaning everyone in Gaza is completely dependent on Israel as far as goods and people coming in/out which is why it is still considered under occupation.

Chariot

This picture of the Norwegian doctor Mads Gilbert has gone kinda viral in Norway. He's a Norwegian doctor saving lives in Gaza.
This doctors and all foreign helpers that just go into war zones to help people are a special kind of MVP. Respect to him and everyone else who is risking their life out of good will in any dangerous area.

fantomena

This doctors and all foreign helpers that just go into war zones to help people are a special kind of MVP. Respect to him and everyone else who is risking their life out of good will in any dangerous area.

Agreed. The Norwegian Israel supporter organization MIFF (Med Israel FOr Fred - With Israel For Peace) are trying to attack him on Twitter and on their own site at miff.no.

Im personally a Palestinian supporter. Both Israel and Hamas are bad, but I think Israel could have done much mroe to try to make peace.

LNBL

Israel is warning foreign journalists that are covering the story in Gaza.

"Gaza and its vicinity are a battleground. Covering the hostilities exposes journalists to life-threatening danger," an e-mailed Government Press Office (GPO) statement said. "Israel is not in any way responsible for injury or damage that may occur as a result of field reporting."
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/wo...n-journalists-covering-gaza-fighting-20140720
http://news.yahoo.com/israel-warns-foreign-journalists-covering-gaza-fighting-211955021.html

This picture of the Norwegian doctor Mads Gilbert has gone kinda viral in Norway. He's a Norwegian doctor saving lives in Gaza.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsuuv5JCAAApBxu.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

The doctors and aid workers that go into warzones are real heroes. They deserve highest civilian medal and honor.

I was at the London protest today and it was my first proper one. Was a very good experience and the turnout was great. Walked from the meeting point to the embassy, where it got very crowded.

Chariot

Israel just wants to hit the terrorists, but if they think everyone could be or is helping terrorist than it's just manslaughter. They have neither respect for journalist nor ambulances. Not so different from Hamas in the end.

And I repeat: Israel just fuel the Hamas with reckless actions like these, so the only way out is to empty Gaza from every living palestini in the end, yes?

Xun

Some more shots from the London Palestine solidarity protest! I knew it'd be a big turn out but I never expected this much.
Great stuff.

I honestly didn't know this was happening, otherwise I would've joined in since I was in London.

King_Moc

Banned
Ive seen Twitter pictures and YT videos of many very big pro-Palestine demos today, but not a single mention in the media.

Don't wanna be labelled anti-semitic though, do they? It's like WWII has given Israel free reign to do whatever they want. When does the goodwill run out?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This is probably going to get my ass whooped in here, but I am interested in hearing well thought out comments on this opinion piece that was published in the British magazine Spiked.

I urge anyone who's interested in commenting to address the piece methodically, rather than dismiss it entirely if some of the conclusions are disagreeable or overly provocative.
(i.e. address the individual points used to back up the writer's claims and not just the claims themselves). Most of all I'd really appreciate it if people addressing the writer's claims don't try to equate his opinion with one that is unapologetically and radically pro Israel, because that would be missing the point.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsit...n-this-rage-against-israel/15400#.U8sI1flmN8H

Former security chief: Blame the Israeli government, not Palestinians, for the crisis

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/7/5877375...sraeli-government-not-palestinians/in/5655640

Yuval Diskin, the chief of Israel's internal security agency the Shin Bet from 2005 to 2011, has posted a withering criticism of the Israeli government and its handling of the recent violence on his public Facebook page. He squarely blames Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government for the recent crisis, which began with the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli students in the West Bank and has spiraled into much wider violence, including the murder of a 16-year-old Palestinian by Israeli extremists.

Dear friends: Take a few moments to read the following words and share them with others. I see the severe and rapid deterioration of the security situation in the territories, Jerusalem and the Triangle and I'm not surprised. Don't be confused for a moment. This is the result of the policy conducted by the current government, whose essence is: Let's frighten the public over everything that's happening around us in the Middle East, let's prove that there's no Palestinian partner, let's build more and more settlements and create a reality that can't be changed, let's continue not dealing with the severe problems of the Arab sector in Israel, let's continue not solving the severe social gaps in Israeli society.

This illusion worked wonderfully as long as the security establishment was able to provide impressive calm on the security front over the last few years as a result of the high-quality, dedicated work of the people of the Shin Bet, the IDF and the Israel Police as well as the Palestinians whose significant contribution to the relative calm in the West Bank should not be taken lightly.

However, the rapid deterioration we're experiencing in the security situation did not come because of the vile murder of Naftali, Eyal and Gil-Ad, may their memories be blessed.

The deterioration is first and foremost a result of the illusion that the government's inaction on every front can actually freeze the situation in place, the illusion that "price tag" is simply a few slogans on the wall and not pure racism, the illusion that everything can be solved with a little more force, the illusion that the Palestinians will accept everything that's done in the West Bank and won't respond despite the rage and frustration and the worsening economic situation, the illusion that the international community won't impose sanctions on us, that the Arab citizens of Israel won't take to the streets at the end of the day because of the lack of care for their problems, and that the Israeli public will continue submissively to accept the government's helplessness in dealing with the social gaps that its policies have created and are worsening, while corruption continues to poison everything good, and so on and so on.

squidyj

This is probably going to get my ass whooped in here, but I am interested in hearing well thought out comments on this opinion piece that was published in the British magazine Spiked.

I urge anyone who's interested in commenting to address the piece methodically, rather than dismiss it entirely if some of the conclusions are disagreeable or overly provocative.
(i.e. address the individual points used to back up the writer's claims and not just the claims themselves). Most of all I'd really appreciate it if people addressing the writer's claims don't try to equate his opinion with one that is unapologetically and radically pro Israel, because that would be missing the point.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsit...n-this-rage-against-israel/15400#.U8sI1flmN8H

I've read the first paragraph and it's already dumb, drone strikes are popular now? Does this guy know what happened in Libya? he's drawing all sorts of frankly ridiculous comparisons right out of the bat.

Oh I see now he goes on to call it a double standard, which he's completely failed to justify. I really don't feel like reading.... holy fuck Assad? Bashar Al Assad of Syria? that's a point of comparison?

no, fuck this.

LNBL

What I am wondering is what will happen after this conflict ends (Hopefully soon). Who will have to pay for the reconstruction of the massive damage in Gaza? That is if anything will even get rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom