• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie officially confirms Destiny. Reveal on Feb 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bungie have been hiring staff with PS3 experience for years now and the leaked artwork IGN published last year had the PS3 logo on it. Signs are pointing toward this being on PlayStation as well as Xbox.

Bungie.net is also one of the very few third party developer sites that allows you to log directly into PSN.

The 20th is Killzone day - so no way this game is at the same event.

Bungie would be humiliated in front of the world's press by that Guerrilla next-gen swag.

Lulz, the only impact Guerilla has made is on GAF. Sales are merely good for the series.

A bungie game led by Activision could end up being the CoD of next gen.

MooseKing

Banned
The timing is very confusing.

It can't be PS4 because Sony wouldn't take away hype from Feb 20th by showing what PS4 is capable of, announcing the platform branding, especially not with Bungie since their graphics track record isn't spectacular.

It could theoretically be Durango, which would be incredibly surprising because they would have to announce the platform brand and show its performance before or on the 17th, because again, they would not let Bungie to be the ones to reveal Durango. Pulling a massive surprise announcement would be unprecedented.

It's might be 360, but this would be pretty bad in terms of unveiling their huge franchise on old hardware with a team known for not amazing graphics on the platform.

So, if we can categorically rule out PS4, plot Durango in as an incredibly unlikely surprise and 360 as simply too stupid to happen, what are we left with for the 17th?

CGI, concept art, vidoc, story, setting, philosophy. In other words, we won't be seeing ingame gameplay footage on the 17th.

PC

I am telling you. The hired so many PC gamers and this type of game is absolutely perfect for the PC.

Is it even an FPS? With a CoD coming each year I don't know why Activision would look to cannibalize its own sales rather than going directly at WoW.

Mifune

Mehmber
The timing is very confusing.

It can't be PS4 because Sony wouldn't take away hype from Feb 20th by showing what PS4 is capable of, announcing the platform branding, especially not with Bungie since their graphics track record isn't spectacular.

It could theoretically be Durango, which would be incredibly surprising because they would have to announce the platform brand and show its performance before or on the 17th, because again, they would not let Bungie to be the ones to reveal Durango. Pulling a massive surprise announcement would be unprecedented.

It's might be 360, but this would be pretty bad in terms of unveiling their huge franchise on old hardware with a team known for not amazing graphics on the platform.

So, if we can categorically rule out PS4, plot Durango in as an incredibly unlikely surprise and 360 as simply too stupid to happen, what are we left with for the 17th?

CGI, concept art, vidoc, story, setting, philosophy. In other words, we won't be seeing ingame gameplay footage on the 17th.

Way too much solid reasoning for one post.

evolution

Just realized it was an mmo, I kinda wish it was next gen exclusive. Id rather not have 7 year old hardware used as the base

Bungie belongs to Activision. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Activision as far as we know is only the publisher.
Microsoft still has a share in bungie im pretty sure they sold back the whole company maybe have bungie get 60%.

Maybe it will Durango exclusive and microsoft takes out a big check for marketing.
Kinda like with epic and gears series. Microsoft does know how to hire good marketing for their bigger ips.

Is this still a MMO FPS? If it requires monthly payments I'm not touching with a ten yard stick.

Everything about this game besides the leaked screens have been rumors. Bungie never said anything about an MMO FPS. There were hints that may lead to it, but they were vague at best.

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between a partnership and ownership.

Concept17

Lulz, the only impact Guerilla has made is on GAF. Sales are merely good for the series.

A bungie game led by Activision could end up being the CoD of next gen.

Well seeing as how their last franchise lost out to CoD, there is no guarantee it'll be anything. Simply because its a huge game made by a huge developer, does not automatically make it a huge success.

Besides, we all know Myth 2 is Bungie's best game.

FStop7

Banned
MS don't have anything to do with Bungie anymore.

I think this might be related to Sony.

Microsoft still holds an equity interest in Bungie, albeit a minority interest. But if you think MSFT has no influence over Bungie then I would disagree pretty strongly. Especially if Destiny is a platform / timed exclusive.

Hindle

Banned
It would be common sense for MS to go after this as an exclusive. Even if it's only 6 months, the impact would be huge.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well seeing as how their last franchise lost out to CoD, there is no guarantee it'll be anything. Simply because its a huge game made by a huge developer, does not automatically make it a huge success.

Besides, we all know Myth 2 is Bungie's best game.

Just because Halo doesn't sell CoD numbers, that doesn't mean it's not a monster success.

And about Killzone. Bungie wouldn't be embarrassed by a potential Next Gen Killzone showing only days later just because of the fucking graphics.

Necron

Microsoft still has a share in bungie im pretty sure they sold back the whole company maybe have bungie get 60%.

Maybe it will Durango exclusive and microsoft takes out a big check for marketing.
Kinda like with epic and gears series. Microsoft does know how to hire good marketing for their bigger ips.

Could be and since MS do have a share in Bungie might seem likely. We don't know the extent of the publishing agreement between Bungie and Activision. We will find out soon anyway...

Trey

Way too much solid reasoning for one post.

It's an MMO so it doesn't have to blow people's doors off graphically. Bungie has never revealed a game proper without in game footage. Bungie knows 360 architecture better than perhaps anyone.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
And on what are you basing that exactly?

Bungie separated from Microsoft years ago. I asked how long you believe they have any control over Bungie, you said a year, a year has long passed.

He means a year exclusivity of the game being out on a certain platform. Game isn't out yet so that year hasn't started counting yet.

Beckx

If it's an MMO and PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility, they might as well have just made this an Xbox exclusive.

I still don't buy that it's an MMO in the sense that people generally think of them.

My guess is that it's a scaled up version of Demon's Souls: if you play online, other players will be seamlessly integrated into your game in some way (probably with much more user control than Souls, since it's supposed to be accessible).

I'm excited to hear what they have to say. They are playing with elements (massively multiplayer, microtransactions, etc.) that could be disastrous, or at least something I don't want to play. On the other hand, they could implement all of things into a package that respects the player and is wonderful to play.

We shall see.

Crawl

Anyone else think, how much better could this game really be over planetside 2? I want it to be good, but after playing planetside 2 without a monthly sub is really something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really, really doubt it's an MMO and I think that's just most people taking the fragmented initial rumours out of context.

Trey

Bungie mentioned giving the player power to build their own world in their last vidoc. I'm expecting first person little big Planet side minescape.

Alcander

Why couldn't it be a reveal ala Watch Dogs where the platforms are "360/ps3" but it's clearly the next gen version being shown? Seems like they could sort of tongue-in-cheek get away with that, without actually "revealing" the performance of a next gen console.

MaulerX

Just going by the rumored 720 timed exclusive, if they show some obvious next-Gen footage with an Xbox logo at the end, then that would would be one hell of a stealth shot.

Satchel

Banned
I'm interested to see what this is.

I don't see an MMO working, and ditto for "CoD in space", so I'm intrigued as to where this goes.

Given each Halo game got technically worse than the last, with CE being perfection, I'd love to see if Bungie can create another mega franchise, or whether Halo was a fluke, because its not like Halo CE was their first game.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bungie's tech on 360 was second to none.

It wasn't though. Sub-HD resolutions, crap or no AA, really poor facial modeling. Sure they had some ground breaking online functionality like Forge and screenshots, but even their multiplayer was frustrating due to stupid design decisions (no JIP). Playing Halo 4 is a real revelation in what 360 can really achieve graphically and how fun a solid MP matchmaking system can be. Sure, 343's campaign balancing and map design doesn't hold up to Bungie, but their techical accomplishments do shame them.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else think, how much better could this game really be over planetside 2? I want it to be good, but after playing planetside 2 without a monthly sub is really something.
I play a ton of ps2, it's basically just a giant deathmatch. This game gas always seemed like a way more authored co-operative-esque experience like a child of left4dead, borderlands, tradition MMOs, etc. I could almost even see there "only" being like 8players at a time, but the key point being some pretty intense under the hood Instancing and matchmaking so you have new people constantly phasing in and out of your experience. I dunno, in a lot of ways I'm kind of expecting this to deliver on the concepts from that old game called "the crossing" or whatever. A real hybrid of the single and multiplayer experiences. This is all just speculation, obviously.

I still don't buy that it's an MMO in the sense that people generally think of them.

My guess is that it's a scaled up version of Demon's Souls: if you play online, other players will be seamlessly integrated into your game in some way (probably with much more user control than Souls, since it's supposed to be accessible).

I'm excited to hear what they have to say. They are playing with elements (massively multiplayer, microtransactions, etc.) that could be disastrous, or at least something I don't want to play. On the other hand, they could implement all of things into a package that respects the player and is wonderful to play.

We shall see.

This is what the initial set of leaks pointed to, which sounds awesome IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom