• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA: Civil War interview. Black Panther's motivations. Detailed description of climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Might as well add the Panther article.

Black Panther commands respect. (And you definitely don’t want him against you.)

The historic first black comic book superhero will be getting his own stand-alone movie in February 2018, but we’ll first encounter Chadwick Boseman’s warrior-prince on May 6 in the clash between heroes in Captain America: Civil War.

Panther is a key figure in the conflict between Chris Evans’ Cap and Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, and his allegiance is in flux — although he’s got serious issues with Sebastian Stan’s Bucky Barnes, a.k.a. the Winter Soldier, which steers him alongside the man in the iron mask.
For the uninitiated, Black Panther, whose real name is T’Challa, is a prince from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, a technologically advanced nation that’s home to the world’s largest natural supply of vibranium — the same malleable-yet-indestructible metal that comprises Cap’s shield. Black Panther is not just a badass secret identity; in the comics it is a title passed down through the generations of rulers.
In Civil War, T’Challa is drawn into the conflict between Cap and Iron Man that arises from the Sokovia Accords, which were enacted by world leaders after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron as a way to mandate control over those with “enhanced abilities” who say they only want to do good for the world.

“There definitely is a sort of tradition that he’s torn between, in terms of how things were done in the past and how things need to happen now in this new world,” says Boseman, who’s best known for playing James Brown in Get On Up and Jackie Robinson in 42. “I think there’s perhaps a bit of a maverick there, and then there’s also a need to live up to traditions and his father’s legacy. And not even his father’s legacy, but the entire nation of Wakanda. I think those are the things you will see.”

Under different circumstances, Steve Rogers, another warrior whose very identity represents his country, might find common ground with Panther.

“I love our scenes together because I do think they feel a sense of responsibility. I think they’re both very selfless people,” Evans says. “They want the right thing, no one’s irrational, no one has an inflated ego.” (That’s got to be a dig at Iron Man, by the way.) “They’re family-first people,” Evans says. “I think outside of the suits we’d be friends, Steve and T’Challa.”

Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios and creator of the interlocked series of movies (Civil War is No. 13, for those keeping track), says Panther was added to the story ahead of his solo-movie debut because Civil War needed someone who had his own agenda, who was a third party separate from the factions that aligned themselves behind Captain America and Iron Man.

“We kept talking about ‘somebody like Black Panther …’ After the third or fourth time that came up in a development meeting, someone said, ‘Can’t we just do the Black Panther?’ And we all looked at each other and said, ‘Yeah, I guess we could,’” Feige says. “We introduce him here, give him an arc, and make him a full character. We don’t just give him a cameo, to wave. He has his own conflict and his own people that he’s looking out for.”

Executive producer Nate Moore calls T’Challa “the undecided voter”: “He’s someone who hasn’t necessarily made up his mind about either side and whose agenda isn’t exactly what Cap’s agenda or what Tony’s agenda is. And I think that brings him into conflict weirdly with both characters at different times in the film. He is the prince of an African nation that has so far stayed very much sort of in the shadows. And eventually the film will draw him and his father out of the shadows.”

The movie version is also not the same Black Panther fans now see in comics, almost 40 years after his creation. “In publishing, he is sort of this very wise and a sanguine figure who seems to know more than he lets on,” Moore says. “I think this is Black Panther in his younger years, where he maybe is a little bit more fiery than I think how they write him in the comics because he’s very much in the nascent stages of being a hero. So that means he is probably more fallible than the Black Panther that you read in comics, but for reasons that are completely logical.”

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think the part that made the most sense in the comic version was:
Those that didn't' want to sign, didn't want to give up their private identity..That no matter how well intentioned This registration was a hit list that every super powered villian or group like Hydra would try to steal.
That it would be used to perpetuate attacks on their families and or used to leverage power and blackmail them to comply.
As private citizens that never enrolled in the Armed forces being forced to register for being different due to fear what they could do was a violation of their civil rights.

Its purely a principle based argument. Tony and crew feel its warranted. Cap and crew feel its a betrayal against everything they fought to protect. The negative zone prison and enlisting villains as MP's was just goofy

diaspora

I think the part that made the most sense in the comic version was:
Those that didn't' want to sign, didn't want to give up their private identity..That no matter how well intentioned This registration was a hit list that every super powered villian or group like Hydra would try to steal.
That it would be used to perpetuate attacks on their families and or used to leverage power and blackmail them to comply.
As private citizens that never enrolled in the Armed forces being forced to register for being different due to fear what they could do was a violation of their civil rights.

Its purely a principle based argument. Tony and crew feel its warranted. Cap and crew feel its a betrayal against everything they fought to protect. The negative zone prison and enlisting villains as MP's was just goofy
It got scrapped after Siege right?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sure, but they can sometimes get to a point where it's not even fun anymore. A Panther that's an impressive monarch of a great kingdom is a good thing, and it's better that he can be fallible.

the only time panther wasnt enjoyable was when he was written by hudlin. and with the armbar, surfer was the one in control the whole time, not panther

Black Panther is the prince in this? A weird choice. If he's wearing the costume then that would usually mean he's the king.

It's possible T'Chaka sent him on this mission to represent the Black Panther tribe and allowed him to use the costume. From the latest info and interviews, its suggested that no one knows that he is the Black Panther.

Mudcrab

or trapping mephisto, and beating iron man with a bottle of windex

Or when dealing with the morality of being a king in his world, which while of course he's not the only monarch hero/villain in the universe, is rarely touched upon by writers.

oMbo2Rk.jpg

vprQsvm.jpg

Cerium

But where's the reigning hero, Spider-Man in all of this?
I think they said that Peter has only been Spider-Man for about a year in this timeline, and he's still in high school. It's too early for him to carry himself like an equal to Iron Man and Captain America.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Or when dealing with the morality of being a king in his world, which while of course he's not the only monarch hero/villain in the universe, is rarely touched upon by writers.

Random question for someone fairly unfamiliar with the character: Is the Black Panther gimmick like, a legacy that is passed on from king to king in Wakanda? Or was the "Black Panther" alter-ego invented by T'challa?

Mudcrab

Random question for someone fairly unfamiliar with the character: Is the Black Panther gimmick like, a legacy that is passed on from king to king in Wakanda? Or was the "Black Panther" alter-ego invented by T'challa?

It's a title that is passed on each generation. Each of the ghost-like figures you see in those panels were once the Black Panther of their era.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i wonder if shuri is among the dead kings

She's got the most powerful weapon of all: Mary Sue status in both Avengers movies. She's probably more powerful than Gamora going by Avengers honestly, which is nonsense. She was great in Winter Soldier though.
616 gamora has superhuman strength, so if the MCU is going by that, then she's way more powerful than widow. Also, we didn't see any humans fight the guardians so we can't really base anything on a comparison between the av movies and the characters from guardians of the galaxy.

I think Spidey will be the symbol and beacon of unity for the other Avengers when they see this young superhero doing his own thing.

Essentially the Avengers gone Darth Vader and Spidey gonna Luke Skywalker them.

I don't like that spidey is 15. If the lore established that he's been bitten and had been operating as a superhero vigilante for a while since the events of the MCU have been unfolding, shouldn't be older? So he's been Spider-Man since before he was 15?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Maybe his dad is on his death bed and can't be the acting Black Panther?

meh its not like he stopped wearing the suit when Shuri was the de facto Black Panther for example

diaspora

I think Spidey will be the symbol and beacon of unity for the other Avengers when they see this young superhero doing his own thing.

Essentially the Avengers gone Darth Vader and Spidey gonna Luke Skywalker them.

Either that, or Spider-Man is going to act as Tony's conscience. In the film, maybe drawing him back from going to bad places.

Blader

I don't like that spidey is 15. If the lore established that he's been bitten and had been operating as a superhero vigilante for a while since the events of the MCU have been unfolding, shouldn't be older? So he's been Spider-Man since before he was 15?

I think it was said he has only been Spider-Man for about a year, as of Civil War.

Since the MCU roughly moves in real time, that'd mean he was bitten sometime around or after Age of Ultron/Ant-Man.

Chariot

Royality, soldier and rich guy. Spidey will be the small, the common man. Both by being lower class as Peter and by being a babby hero in contrast ti the others.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Evans is up for appearing in a hypothetical Iron Man 4.

It's a Captain America movie, not an Iron Man movie – but Tony Stark looms large throughout this third "solo" installment in the Steve Rogers story. "It just hit me yesterday, now that we’re six weeks in, that they were actually over his shoulder coming out of the elevator, not over my shoulder watching him come out of the elevator," Downey says during EW's set visit. "I was like, oh, that’s right, it’s his point of view." Evans says he'll happily return the favor if there's ever an Iron Man 4: "I’d be happy to be in an Iron Man movie. We've been in so many movies together, the titles are almost, at this point, inconsequential. We all win!"

tumblr_nysx0a8H991tcxkqzo2_540.jpg

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
But where's the reigning hero, Spider-Man in all of this?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/03/spider-man-captain-america-civil-war

While visiting the set for EW, there was a particularly large battle going on involving many different characters from the film. Most of them, you know about already. But one, standing off to the side, was a stuntman wearing a very familiar red and blue suit that covered him from head to toe.

“Listen, if there was a cosplayer running around that set when you were there, I don’t know what to tell you,” Feige said.

Fair enough. But then, during the very same battle sequence, just hanging around off-camera, Robert Downey Jr. comes strolling by. He’s laughing and talking with his arm slung over the shoulder of a young man who, if Feige is right, is doing some pinpoint Tom Holland cosplay – and wearing a full Spider-Man suit, except for the mask.

Later, in an interview, Downey just spills it: “[Don] Cheadle and I are just going, ‘Wow, dude, look at this.’ We’re now like the old guard, and our storyline carries real weight just because of our history in the [canon]. But we’re also looking around like, ‘Who thought that Falcon and Black Panther and Ant-Man and now Spider-Man…?’ I mean it’s like wow, this thing is just crazy.” (Leave it to Captain America, however, to try and save the day by keeping the secret hidden: “You never know with Marvel,” Chris Evans says. “Sometimes they shoot things and then don’t use them.”)

So, yes: Spider-Man is in Civil War.

diaspora

I like that too!

While he was anti-reg in the comics, his reigning disagreement with Tony and SHIELD was that they were too focused on trying to beat Cap and his side in some sort of pointless Pyrrhic moral victory rather than focus on crimes and issues that were happening in the here and now like the Skrulls, and organized crime.

I this role will be similar here, where yes, he's willing to register and side with Iron Man on the necessity on setting limits on heroes, but sees no point in pressing the issue when there's real problems they could be dealing with.

shingi70

Banned
The Panther article sounds really good. So I'm guessing Marvel is grooming Panther and Spidey to replace Cap and Tony with Doctor Strange as the new Thor. Hoping Boseman and Holland have s scene together.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so they confirmed Zemo, Spiderman, BP, leaked a ton of info...

and Martin Freeman's role is still shrouded in mystery? I find this most LOL

scabro

so they confirmed Zemo, Spiderman, BP, leaked a ton of info...

and Martin Freeman's role is still shrouded in mystery? I find this most LOL

there was a leak a while back that he was (iirc, long time ago)

a British politician, maybe prime minister who is one of the bigs behind the registration act

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom